Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
MEPS

TREPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lmao

The peninsula is flush with million dollar-plus properties, a fact that will come as a surprise to absolutely no one who has ever attempted to buy a home there. Still, it comes as a bit of a shock that the U.S. zip code with the most sales over $1 million isn’t in New York City or Beverly Hills, but Burlingame, according to a new report form Coldwell Banker.

The 94010 zip code had 404 million dollar-plus sales between July 2013 and July 2014, according to the report, far outpacing infamous zip code 90210, which only had 295 sales in that range. (An example of what you can get in the 94010 zip for around $1 million is in the gallery above.) Not to worry, Kelly and Donna’s home values are still intact; the Beverly Hills zip had the most sales in the $5 million or more and $10 million or more categories.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

basically any sport that doesn't involve helmets or gasoline is un-american.

basketball is too black to be american, this checks out

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

eschaton posted:

libertarian utopia ≡ cyberpunk dystopia: the central equivalence revealed during the grey forums' seastead thread

if you haven't, read the "Fatlantis" or "In Golden Waters" for the fiction the thread produced

which one is the one that starts with "splort. that was the sound of libertopia."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

what i don't get is why people get so smug about pointing out that it's not real. like no poo poo it's not real, it's a tv series. whether or not it is real presumably doesn't affect how much you enjoy watching the show. walter white isn't real but people don't go around pointing this out and acting like you shouldn't watch breaking bad because IT'S ALL JUST PLANNED OUT AHEAD OF TIME AND FAKED

also gettin upset to learn that musicians and singer personality types sometimes don't write their own music

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

cyberpunk dystopian future is here, now!

gotta chase those bonuses so that you can pay one of the poors crippled with student loan debt to carry the babby to term for you

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Customer Complaints Summary
110 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 100 closed in last 12 months
Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints
Advertising / Sales Issues 8
Billing / Collection Issues 47
Delivery Issues 1
Problems with Product / Service 54
Guarantee / Warranty Issues 0
Total Closed Complaints 110

lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pr0zac posted:

I do appreciate uber forcing cabs to make taking credit cards easier

this went into effect earlier this year in new orleans and my god did the cab companies pitch a fit about it

mostly because they wanted to continue to rip off tourists by not running the meter and accepting cash only

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

the MTA charges 5% also they can't cheat on their taxes

don't forget driving "after hours" for a little on the side that you keep all to yourself that also happens to serve primarily wasted people that you can rip off because who else needs a cab between 3 and 5 am

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can't drive a cab "after hours" in nyc

medallions are active 24/7, after your shift is done somebody else takes it

i've had cabs do exactly that in brooklyn

or maybe he just wasn't running the meter and demanding cash for a different reason, but either way he had no recourse when i told him it was card or nothing and got out

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

JewKiller 3000 posted:

san mateo is not sf. you CAN draw a pretty accurate picture of the city of san francisco from a single visit to the tenderloin

lol

san mateo county has foster city in it, The Most Crime Free Place In The Country

it's basically a big marina filled with rich folks and bored cops and municipal ordinances like a giant hoa

so yeah nice try

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

abraham linksys posted:

i've never met an engineer

lol we know

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

counterpoint they all got butthurt post-katrina so thats why we started naming winter storms, they wanted attention tooooooooooo

lol they couldn't handle a sub-cat 1 tropical storm

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

southern california

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

I hate getting recruiter hits for places I don't want to live because they think those calculators are a good guide for salary and it's yeah sure I'd love to give up $50k in salary so I can live in BFE because it's so much cheaper

those salary calculators are better at determining how much money you stand to lose from moving out into the sticks

the gains from sticks to real city life, not so much

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Forums Terrorist posted:

in real countries the art house channels are subsidized by the govt

i want to live in the america where the government funds a channel featuring a show like utopia

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

the problem is that tv is curated by assholes

the economics of production mean that having a couple smash hits and showing them continuously is a better model than having a variety of programming, look how fast discovery and history both became 99% "fake hicks pretending to have interesting jobs"

do they still have discovery health?

because like a decade ago it was already turning into CHECK OUT THIS DISGUSTING SURGERY

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i would sooner expect the isps to start offering streaming services

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Chris Knight posted:

utopia was channel 4

and channel 4 is publicly owned

which will only happen in the US after The Revolution

vote from the rooftops

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

syscall girl posted:

republican/libertarian types

lol if you believe these to be separate groups

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

which is hilarious because from a financial standpoint it's basically a welfare state we only keep around for the oil

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

libertarians aren't opposed to unions, they're opposed to the government protecting them

all the ones i've ever met lose their poo poo about unions

many of the so-called leftists here also aren't fans

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah let's go back to the good old days when crossing a picket line might mean getting your legs broken

unironically agree

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

and blowing up scab trucks

it would be cool to see striking transportation workers take over the caltrain/bart and enforce free rides

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

yeah what is up with that

they can manage to run it every 12-15 minutes during peaks and include bullet service why let it taper off at all off-peak it's dumb as hell

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

if it was convenient or made sense then it wouldn't be public transport. why does the T in boston shutdown before everyone leaves the bars?

because highway construction is overfunded to the detriment of other modes of transportation on a local level

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ayn rand hand job posted:

because it allows for a better maintenence schedule and increased life times?

you're an engineer, you should know what it takes to run a train

lol

for real tho i know a little

they already perform maint at night once everything shuts down and the rolling stock itself isn't in continuous use anyway in places where it doesn't stop like nyc (it gets rotated out just like buses do)

i know that here they've gotta perform inspections to the rail alignments due to seismic concerns, esp after any event over a certain threshold, but that's an additional thing and more of an on-demand measure compared to daily inspections

the likely reasons that it isn't run more often outside of peaks is that:

1) there are a lot of at-grade crossings and that tends to screw up traffic p bad (partially because the installed pre-empt equipment suuucks and resets the cycle instead of working as an interrupt), and

2) someone high up decided that they would match service to demand in order to save on operation costs, as measured by whenever they made that decision, which means that the schedules tend to create sharper peaks than they otherwise would (due to a number of factors like pressuring businesses to maintain hours that conform to said peaks)

i mean there's probably more to it than that but if they were interested in spending some more money then the service would improve, which i could really see happening since ridership has apparently spiked in the past two years

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

trains do not belong at grade

:agreed:

also cars in urban areas

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Forums Terrorist posted:

bhi sé as an daingean nar maigh chromtha

i'm all of the silent letters

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Forums Terrorist posted:

i had to go and look up the spelling because i kept sticking h's in there, gently caress irish

i really don't understand why it's transliterated or w/e the way it is instead of in a more phonetic way

for funsies i guess

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

small business owners don't like taking away street parking

some place on union street spent like half a million dollars in legal fees to stop the city from lengthening a bus stop at the expense of 2 parking spaces

boy howdy don't they

i've seen them absolutely lose their poo poo over stuff like basic maintenance and increasing the road's capacity

doesn't matter what you're doing even if long-term more people will be using that road and they will be getting newly paved driveways - they will resist the work because in the short term people don't like using businesses in construction zones

gently caress small business owners

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah i mean what the gently caress close down the street that has the only access to your business for a few months at a time? why are you whining, don't you have a few months of expenses in savings?

nah the contractors are almost always required to maintain access to all local businesses and residences

these business owners just don't like having construction poo poo obscuring their signage and making people avoid the area for a few months and would gladly see the roadways that grant their customers access simply crumble back into gravel

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

a few months would send most family restaurants and small shops into bankruptcy

so would not having a useable road at all

or shifting traffic patterns away from said road by increasing capacity elsewhere

as it turns out, being a small business is kinda lovely

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

RZA Encryption posted:

jacobian: So. Caltrain hits a guy, stopping all trains. Uber goes to 3x pricing. Literal profits off death. Yay. http://t.co/ngP38sJGvQ
https://twitter.com/jacobian/status/522555862679060480

i got caught up in this

they let us off at the palo alto station and several hundred people started summoning ubers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pinterest Mom posted:

have you spoken to a woman about this

lady doctors do this all the time and they all agree/get pissed about it because it is super hosed up to expect someone to choose between having a career and having a family

the sad thing is that many of them justify it because, you know, they're saving lives (ignoring for the moment that man doctors do not hafta make this choice or that other countries do not expect/demand this of their doctors)

but lmao at the idea of writing loving software hard enough to put off/give up having a family

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

Men have vibrant and useful careers (in technology or elsewhere) in their 40s and 50s. The assumption here is that women are freezing their eggs to have kids at those ages because they're no longer useful and won't have the same sort of career a man might at those ages. Why is that?

exactly

the choice between career and children is not one that men are expected to make

funnily enough the majority of single parents are also women but lol if they didn't roll out some kinda on-site daycare option first before being all WORK UNTIL YOU'RE BARREN

probably because daycare is more expensive than having insurance cover egg harvesting

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh yeah and if you wanna get your eggs harvested then you've gotta get off birth control and not have any sex whatsoever for a month or three before undergoing surgery that, in addition to the standard surgical risks, has a chance of leaving you infertile

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

do they offer $20k for daycare too?

reminder that a healthy white lady with a postgraduate degree can sell her eggs for an upwards of $10k

i've even seen ads for $15k in the campus paper and that was years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

browser plugin!

lmao

• Locked thread