Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...

Subjunctive posted:

traffic interception has a small window of viability, because ad networks are all trending to SSL (often via SPDY) and then welp

when we moved all our mobile traffic to SSL the complaints about photo quality went way down, because carriers were no longer recompressing images to save bandwidth. I get that it's a lot of their network usage, but if they wanted to control their destiny they should have invented what-marsupial-body-part-are-you quizzes or something.

sad that I missed education chat; going to a college board meeting tomorrow, have terrible opinions I could have clogged the thread with

My company is currently developing an SSL interception proxy specifically to deal with this problem. Carriers want to optimize video and images and everybody is starting to encrypt stuff so we terminate the SSL, do optimization and then reencrypt with our own certificate.
I dunno if any carrier actually wants to buy it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
This is why you all should be doing certificate pinning in your cat video webapps btw

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...

qirex posted:

I assume the endgame of this is to get a 50 meg cat video, compress it to 8 megs then still charge the customer for 50 megs

otherwise it doesn't seem like it's worth doing

Surprisingly, I think most of our current video optimization customers don't rip people off like that. Most of their savings come from them being able to skimp on building new towers and upgrading infrastructure for a couple years.

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...

Janitor Prime posted:

Don't the YouTube and Facebook players and browsers already do this?

Not sure. Our prototype has only been tested on internal servers so far. Youtube is next.
Someone did mention a plan to try to partner up with content providers and see if they'd be willing to provide a certificate we could use. I don't know if that's likely.

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Yeah, I don't know who thought that was possible. We've been doing video optimization for 5+ years and I don't think any content provider has ever agreed to work with us on anything.

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
I'm not actually sure which category I'm in. Plain video optimization makes a lot of money and could be argued to be good for users. The SSL stuff is kind of scary but also kind of fun and also might be hopeless from a business standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Not sure if anyone on here is among the 20 people in the world that still watch The Newsroom, but they've had a pretty good storyline for the last couple episodes about a disruptive billionaire taking over the network and forcing them to talk about Twitter all the time.

• Locked thread