Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I share the resignation that mankind's venture into space was a childhood dream of mine that has been shattered, and I too am of average enough intelligence to recognize that commercial spaceflight is just playtime for the rich. Therefore, I relate to this article and the person that wrote it, and enjoyed reading it.

In acknowledging reality, optimism must always be balanced by pessimism to see what's really there. Commercial spaceflight is a profit-driven enterprise, so it's no wonder it has evolved into what it is. Genuine mankind-leaving-his-cradle stuff would be very unprofitable for a long time and would require the cooperation of world governments. It is what it is - that old somehow meaningful tautology. Cynicism is feeling bitter about it, optimism is finding the silver lining in it, and realism is just pointing it out.

And some people may find that of all the things this world needs, more playtime for the rich is not one of them, and may be dismayed to see their walk-on-the-moon dreams come to this because we as a species are too weak to conceive of anything grander.

Thanks, Zack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread