Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is Choice of Games?

Choice of Games is a website that hosts a number of text-based, multiple-choice games aka CYOAs.

They currently have 6 relatively short free games – Choice of the Dragon, Choice of Broadsides, Choice of Romance, Choice of the Vampire, Choice of Intrigues and Choice of Zombies – playable online on their website. They have many more longer games with demos playable on their websites and the full version of which you can download onto your iPad, Android or Google Chrome for a small price.

As at the date of this post, three fine CoG games are being LPed: Neighbourhood Necromancer, Life of a Wizard and Choice of Deathless.

The one I’m playing in this thread is called “Heroes Fall”, which is the third game in the "Heroes Rise" trilogy (comprising Heroes Rise: The Prodigy and Heroes Rise: The Hero Project). The Heroes Rise games are CoG's most popular and well-loved games, and the first two in the series have been LPed here and here respectively (archives required).

Critical Acclaim for Heroes Fall

Murphy Bach posted:

This is definitely a fitting end to this fantastic trilogy. It's still tense as anything and some parts had me screaming internally because most of my decisions are me playing by luck and some of those choices were NOT FUN oh my lord. If you haven't had the absolute pleasure of reading HR: The Prodigy and HR: The Hero Project, the first two parts of this trilogy, then you are missing out on one Hell of a time. This is a choose-your-own-adventure on a whole 'nother level of 'OH MY GAW WHY DID I DO THAT' and crippling regret. Given all of them are really cheap too, it's entirely worth it - you get more than your money's worth, so long as you enjoy reading and also shaving twenty years off your life because this stress is just too drat much.

TL;DR: I will recommend this until the day I die, along with the two prior installments.

mrkandeag4ever posted:

Great Books, Really worth the investment. A+++ Storyline. Better than some videogames and this has no pictures or sounds.

Impunic Wight posted:

This game is amazing.

Rarely does a book (and game) invoke such strong emotions upon me.

This book, no, this game it should be a testament of everything that is great in choice of games.

I laughed, I cried and sometimes I even got angry...

It just goes to show how someone could easily get invested on this game. I would recommen that you start at the very first Hero Rise: The prodigy.

*warning to all gamers- This game does not contain graphics or music, do some research before buying*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Heroes Rise: HeroFall is the third part of the Heroes Rise Trilogy.

You can choose to read a summary of the first two novels before beginning HeroFall, but first, would you like to load a saved game from Heroes Rise: The Hero Project?

I'd like to load my saved game from Heroes Rise: The Hero Project.

I haven't read The Hero Project.

quote:

To fully enjoy Heroes Rise: HeroFall, we recommend you start Heroes Rise from the beginning. Read the first two parts here:

Heroes Rise: The Prodigy

Heroes Rise: The Hero Project

For now, you can start HeroFall with fresh Stats.

quote:

Before you start reading, you'll need to answer some basic questions.

Firstly, you are:

A guy named…

A girl named…

My gender identity is more complicated than that…

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Unknown

Stats

Fame: 50% Justice: 50%

Lawless: 50% Lawful: 50%

Offensive: 50% Defensive: 50%

Soloist: 50% Team Player: 50%

Unleash: 50% Control: 50%

Feared: 50% Revered: 50%

Revenge: 50% Ideals: 50%

Freedom: 50% Security: 50%

More Stats

Power: 100

Health: 100

Money: 19,500

Legend: 0

Your Relationships

Grandma: 70%

Jenny: 50%

The Victons: 5%

Prodigal: 5%

The American Protectorate: 5%

Black Magic: 50%

Lucky: 50%

World Statistic

Anti-Powered Sentiment: 95%

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 10, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I cast my vote for anything that isn't an injoke because last time that got really loving retarded

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Batman, male, straight

corn in the bible posted:

I cast my vote for anything that isn't an injoke because last time that got really loving retarded

It went EXACTLY as it needed to go :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SSNeoman posted:

It went EXACTLY as it needed to go :allears:

Agreed- hell, I vote that we continue Railrunner's epic tale :unsmigghh:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
IT BEGINS. :suspense:

Why are you not importing a save, anyway?

If we're starting fresh, a fey-kin gender named Ms. Snowdrop Notevil Goodperson

Added Space fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 10, 2014

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Added Space posted:

IT BEGINS. :suspense:

Why are you not importing a save, anyway?

If we're starting fresh, a fey-kin gender named Ms. Snowdrop Notevil Goodperson

Railrunner is dead and cannot be imported. As it was the save used for the LP, we have to start anew.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh God please no. No, not more of this. No, no, NO.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Male, straight, King Ironwheel.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hm. Not sure what to think. CoG are fun, but there seems to be a lot of gleeful in-joke chortling already, and the LP hasn't even started.

Are we newcomers best of sitting this one out?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game featured superpowered turkey women as something you were supposed to take seriously, and a character who devours human souls to power his/her powers, and this is treated as a minor scandal, not 'holy poo poo you monster'. These games are cursed. CURSED.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Oh boy, it's time to end this series, huh? Well, I vote we take it full circle. Girl named Cao Cao, with codename The Revolution when that comes around.

Oh, and thanks for the plug in the OP. Though I don't know if association with the Heroes Rise trilogy is the best thing...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ghostwoods posted:

Hm. Not sure what to think. CoG are fun, but there seems to be a lot of gleeful in-joke chortling already, and the LP hasn't even started.

Are we newcomers best of sitting this one out?

Like the thread title says, there are two other books that lead into this one, and although the second was better technically neither one is very good; they both feature stupid superhero concepts, blatant railroading, and Mary Sue characters who succeed at their plans no matter what you the player want to happen. Despite this, the Heroes Rise series has an inexplicably large following.

I imagine there will be a recap of the last two books for those just joining us and others like myself who have forgotten basically everything. If there isn't, I suggest someone get on that.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Firstly, you are:

A guy named…

A girl named…

My gender identity is more complicated than that…

quote:

Declan.

Gino.

Stephen.

Shane.

Louis.

Paul.

Kyle.

Fabian.

Nate.

Colin.

Mike.

Jacob.

I'd rather create my own first name - Batma

quote:

Tricamo.

Apple.

Kastan.

Rosado.

Lee.

Rizzo.

Decter.

Ito.

I'd rather create my own family name - N

quote:

You are attracted to:

Men.

Women.

Both.

quote:

Your codename is:

Maneuver.

Rush.

Conduit.

Charge.

SFX.

I'd rather create my own code name - Snowdrop Notevil Goodperson

quote:

Before you start Heroes Rise: HeroFall, would you like to read a recap of your journey so far?

Yes, I'd like to read a recap.

No, take me to HeroFall.

quote:

Previously in Heroes Rise:

Almost a year and a half ago, Grandma bought your Department for the Regulation of Powered Resources (DRPR) Powered Hero License so you could quit your video game testing job and start your rise to heroic Legend.

Though becoming a Legendary hero meant more to you than just fulfilling your own dreams — it was also about redeeming your parents, The Sound and The Fury, who were sentenced by then-Judge Victon to a life term in The Devoid for accidentally murdering the villainess, Miss Artillery.

You set out with one ultimate goal: to become an A-list hero and reveal to Millennia City that you are actually Batma N, The Sound and The Fury's child.

So with your Power to fly and generate energy, you embarked on your heroic journey, deciding along the way what kind of hero to be and hoping to someday reach a Legend Level of 100.

quote:

The day you got your license was also the day that you set out on your first mission: to recover the stolen Gravitas, with Jenny and MeChip Jeeves backing you up.

That first fateful night may have been a complete disaster, but it set you on the path that led you here today. It'sNever [sic] one to give up, you came back twice as strong — though not before Grandma forced you to take on a sidekick. You and Sparrow may have stopped that Ani-gang brawl in the Fringes and Sparrow may have saved your life, but it was all all a lie. If only you had known then that Sparrow was secretly Prodigal, infiltrating your life…

Even your first meeting with your biggest hero crush, Black Magic, was set up by Prodigal as part of her plan to build you up and break you down.

Meeting Black Magic was the biggest thrill of your career at the time though, especially since she took you to meet The Millennial Group and your ultimate idol, Rebellion. This was the first time you got to see what it was like for your dreams to come true — and realize your dreams might look much different in reality.

Still, you got to play a major role in helping The Millennial Group shut down The Splice Circle. Soonafter you hooked up with Black Magic for the first time, in all her Angelina Jolie glory. That was also when you learned Black Magic's dark lifeforce draining secret and decided she wasn't who you thought she was. mind-boggling to think that in one night you located Trackr, took on Madame Vice, crossed paths with Jury, battled Smyther's Splice Circle, and pissed off Rexford Schillers for the first time. Not to mention it was the first night you were ambushed by the then-shadowy villainess, Prodigal, and had your first standoff with Mayor Victon.

It was an exhausting night, one that saw your heroic name dragged through the mud by none other than Sonja Challa, in her first major post about you.

quote:

The next two weeks were a blur, all secretly orchestrated by Prodigal: leading you to her pool-killer warehouse with Sparrow, framing Jury for hiring The Wisp to kill you, and ensuring you became Millennia City's Hero of Tomorrow. The HoT coronation party was supposed to be the most exciting night of your life, but instead Prodigal set her endgame into motion, kidnapping Sonja and Sparrow and forcing you to choose which one would live.

It was the toughest decision you had ever faced as a hero, but it was just the first in a career filled with impossible decisions. You ultimately chose to save Sparrow, leaving Prodigal to murder Sonja in front of all of Millennia City. You thought you had made the right decision at the time, but if only you had known Sparrow was a fraud, maybe you could have saved Sonja…

quote:

Though that was only Prodigal's first horror of the night: she then outed you as Batma N to the press and attacked Grandma, whom you had left at your apartment in the Eastern Fringes after learning she had been forging letters from you to your imprisoned parents.

The hits just kept on coming as Prodigal revealed Sparrow's true self and proceeded to transport you, Grandma, and Jenny to her lair underneath the Bigsur Fusion Plant. It was there that Prodigal revealed her mad plans to destroy you and avenge her mother, Miss Artillery — the villain who your parents were in prison for murdering.

Prodigal's ultimate goal was to become a Legendary villain — even then, her life seemed to be a fun-house mirror version of your own. To this end, Prodigal's grand finale was to wipe out Millennia City in a nuclear holocaust, right after killing you, Grandma, and Jenny.

However, Prodigal didn't bank on the fact that you were also an Infini-Class Powered, a secret Grandma and Jenny had been keeping even from you. You used these newfound Powers to manipulate atoms and gravity to save your family and stop Prodigal, though not before she presented you with one last horrifying choice:

Murder Prodigal or allow Millennia City to be destroyed.

quote:

You decided that saving the lives of the millions outweighed the toll of taking one life, so you killed Prodigal in order to save Millennia City. Though not before Prodigal's Death Wave managed to hit the Eastern Fringes of Millennia City, killing 314 innocent people.

Of course, Prodigal faked her death at your hands that night, but you wouldn't learn that until after the next major chapter in your heroic career:

The Hero Project.

quote:

You had just come off your first major victory as a hero, though your infamy was contained mostly to Millennia City. You knew it was time to take your heroic rise to the next level: the national stage. Especially because your truly greatest enemy, Mayor Victon, was looking to do the same by entering the Presidential race with the support of the anti-Powered Meek movement.

That's how you found yourself on The Hero Project, America's #1 Reality Competition for Powered Heroes. When you first interviewed with the Executive Producers, handler GG and judge Rexford Schillers, you had no idea the show would eventually change your life in every way.

Though there were some clues along the way: the cryptic MeMessages you received about The Hero Project being corrupt, Rexford's special interest in your Infini Powers, learning that Jenny was entering the competition as an undercover DRPR agent to investigate a potential anti-Infini plot, the Herologist's warning that your Infini Powers could kill you or others if not carefully developed….

quote:

Still, you surged forward in The Hero Project, battling your way through the Semi-Finals to become one of the 20 heroes advancing to the Final Selection. Then the judges put you through to the Live Finals as a member of the Final 14.

You wouldn't learn until later that Rexford ensured your Final 14 spot so he'd have another Infini puppet to play with, so at the time, making it to the Live Finals was incredibly exciting. You knew that if you continued to do well, you could become the Legendary hero you had always dreamed of.

quote:

Your dreams kept coming true as The Hero Project debuted to massive ratings, becoming 3V's biggest hit in years. America's obsession with Powered heroics was paired with a source of national news on The Hero Project, as you were cleared to fight missions against America's most wanted criminals at the time: the Powered terrorist Culic and his terrifying InfraOrder.

You battled against Culic and The InfraOrder at Manhattan's Midtown Tunnel and his Big Sur Wasteland castle headquarters, where you learned that Scoundrel, the turkey-girl hybrid eliminated in 14th place, was secretly a mole placed in the competition by Culic. Though that wasn't even the biggest scandal that would rock The Hero Project: as a part of his grand conspiracy, Rexford leaked Black Magic's lifeforce sourcing secret to create a story that would distract from The Hero Project's inability to capture Culic after two missions.

Black Magic was shamed and voted out of the competition by America, as a result. Up-and-comer Lucky survived instead, taking Black Magic's place in the competition in many ways. Though Black Magic's fall from grace was just one of the many difficult eliminations you'd take part in…

As The Hero Project's reigning Strategic Chameleon, you reacted to the competition as it evolved. You helped pick off members of the rival Popular and Underdog alliances, surviving as Fumble, The Bear, and Mach Girl were also eliminated from The Hero Project.

quote:

Finding yourself in the Final 9, you were then faced with the most difficult decisions of the entire competition. After experiencing some trouble with your growing Infini Powers, you decided to take a Power-enhancing drug, Pump, offered by Rebellion, never thinking that your idol was setting you up for future failure.

You had also been assisting Jenny (who was was posing as the mysterious hero Null) with her conspiracy investigation throughout the competition, so you knew Jenny was getting close to discovering the identity of another mole within The Hero Project attempting to carry out an anti-Infini attack.

Which is why when it ultimately came down to you or Jenny for the 9th place elimination, you knew you had to take her request to drop out of the competition seriously.

quote:

When Rexford asked you to reveal Null's secret identity, you decided that nothing was more important than protecting your best friend and her investigation. Jenny had sacrificed so much to help you, so it was time to return the favor. Besides, you knew you didn't have to win The Hero Project to keep growing your heroic career…

Or at least you hoped so, since having to watch the final mission defeating Culic's InfraOrder from home was pretty painful. Especially because it meant you were powerless to stop The Crush as his telekinetic Infini Powers surged out of control, slamming Lucky into a deep coma.

quote:

This display of Infini Powered abuse sent the nation crashing through a wave of anti-Powered sentiment, one that Mayor Victon rode to become the next President of the United States, backed by his Powered Regulation Platform and The Meek movement.

President Victon made his first appearance at The Hero Project Finale, where Inherit, Jury, Summit, Wintry, Stage Show, and Null won The Hero Project and were named the original roster of The American Protectorate, America's first national Powered team, led by Rebellion and fully funded by the U.S. Government.

This was supposed to be an occasion to celebrate, but the event turned sinister when President Victon issued his first American Protectorate order: to have you submit to the Infinity Regulator, a new Power-dampening device meant to rehabilitate Infini-Class Powereds.

quote:

You ultimately refused President Victon's order— which is when the latent Pump in your system activated, causing you to lose control of your Infini Powers, just like The Crush.

Luckily no one was hurt in your explosion of Power, but the damage was still done: President Victon now had the reason he needed to begin his oppressive reign of Powered Regulation, with you as its first target.

A battle broke out between your allies and the newly formed American Protectorate, one where Jenny began to expose Rexford Schillers as a Secret Meek Apostle charged with orchestrating an elaborate anti-Infini plot throughout The Hero Project.

When Rexford turned the Infinity Regulator on Jenny in a blind rage, you jumped to save Jenny, taking the shot heard around the world…

The one that robbed you of your Powers.

quote:

When the dust settled months later, Jenny visitied you at your lakeside safe house, where you were still struggling with the loss of your Powers. Jenny promised the effects should be temporary, but couldn't offer any insight into how long it would take to recover.

Though Jenny was able to offer you her report on the conspiracy behind The Hero Project, which claimed President Victon, Constance Obach, Inherit, Rexford Schillers, and Rebellion all formed a secret cabal that orchestrated the series of events before, during, and after The Hero Project — a series of events that saw all of these members rise to positions of prominence and power, with the exception of Rexford, who was the only one to take the fall. Despite knowing the truth, Jenny and the DRPR only had enough concrete evidence to put Rexford behind bars.

It seemed you were at the center of yet another grand plot you couldn't stop, but your enemies hadn't bet on one thing: you becoming an Infini Icon, standing for Powered rights everywhere. With this one very powerful weapon in your arsenal, you knew it was time for you to take control of your destiny.

Because a war was brewing, one you'd soon be fighting on the front lines.

quote:

As you tried to process all that had happened, Grandma provided you with one major bright spot: she had been fighting to change The Devoid's no correspondence policy for months, which resulted in an actual letter sent from your parents.

Reading this letter made you feel better than you had in a long time, because you heard the words you needed to hear: that your parents were proud of all you had done, no matter what.

quote:

This moment was ruined, however, as Prodigal suddenly appeared, revealing that she had faked her death at your hands. Though even more shocking that this was the news Prodigal had come to deliver:

That her murdered mother, Miss Artillery, was actually still alive.

And that she needed your help to find her.

quote:

Now that you're all caught up, you're ready to start Heroes Rise: HeroFall!

quote:

PROLOGUE - THESE FOOLISH THINGS

You remember the moment perfectly, despite all these years. The moment you knew you'd become a Powered hero.

You were leaving a holo-movie with your parents, the third installment of your favorite trilogy as a little kid: Flyboy. You remember this outing especially because the Flyboy movies were the only times your parents would make an exception to their stay-at-home rule — they were too famous to be in public most of the time.

After watching the movie, all you wanted to do was fly, so your parents each held you by one arm and swung you around as you were leaving the lobby. Just as you were about to soar through the front doors, a woman approached your parents with her teenage daughter.

"I'm so sorry to bother you," the woman said, "but I've been waiting to meet you both for almost ten years now. We were on the hoverbus that The Hound held hostage that one Christmas Eve, and you saved our lives. We can't thank you enough."

Your parents just smiled and said it was their pleasure as they posed for a picture with the woman and her daughter. You watched in awe—this was the first time you'd ever seen anyone react to your parents this way. This woman and her daughter looked at them like they were some kind of gods, but your parents just acted like this was the most normal thing in the world.

That's when you knew you had to be a Powered Hero when you grew up, because:

I wanted to save lives.

I wanted people to look at me that way.

I wanted to be just like my parents.

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Snowdrop Notevil Goodperson :siren:

Stats

Fame: 50% Justice: 50%

More Stats

Your Relationships

World Statistic

Unknown Stat: 0

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

...what? Did you really not import the file? You mean the choices we picked, to be a giant raging rear end in a top hat WERE CANON!?

i dont even can handle revelation now

Oh boy. BTW new folks, Prodigal being alive is a new one for us. I have no idea how the gently caress she managed to avoid getting murdered by us when we were in point blank range of her with our newly-unlocked infini-powers, but there you go.
Also gently caress Lucky is alive :( I thought our gravitation powers ripped him to shreds, which was the only redeeming feature about his enforced love interest bullshit.

:sigh: Heroes Rise...

We wanted to save liv-FAKE CHOICE ALREADY!?!?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 11, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

LOOK AT ME!

Railrunner will just have to live on in spirit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We did it all for the looks.

I missed the first two books, but this looks like a giant steaming pile of crap. Should be fun.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

quote:

You ultimately refused President Victon's order— which is when the latent Pump in your system activated, causing you to lose control of your Infini Powers, just like The Crush.

I'm pretty sure that everything after this point is stuff we haven't seen before. So either we died early in the last instalment, or they made all the 'exciting' stuff happen offscreen between 'games'.

Sorry, make that :airquote: games :airquote:. Because hey look, it's (probably) a FakeChoice!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ultrafilter posted:

We did it all for the looks.

I missed the first two books, but this looks like a giant steaming pile of crap. Should be fun.

You think that going in, but it will grind you down over time. Looks, too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

we're hot

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

...what? Did you really not import the file? You mean the choices we picked, to be a giant raging rear end in a top hat WERE CANON!?

i dont even can handle revelation now

Oh boy. BTW new folks, Prodigal being alive is a new one for us. I have no idea how the gently caress she managed getting murdered by us when we were in point blank range of her with our newly-unlocked infini-powers, but there you go.
Also gently caress Lucky is alive :( I thought our gravitation powers ripped him to shreds, which was the only redeeming feature about his enforced love interest bullshit.

:sigh: Heroes Rise...

We wanted to save liv-FAKE CHOICE ALREADY!?!?
There's at least ONE difference: Canon didn't have the 'reveal Null is an undercover Jenny'. Which resulted in us getting kicked out, rather than there to be the fall guy instead of Crush.

I doubt we'd even be able to refuse the Pump, though. Since apparently that was canon. Probably ends up in a 'you get kicked out, but THIS circumstance you don't get to import to the next game.'

Oh and Prodigal was 'murdered', rather than spared. I think the same amount of people even died. So what's the loving point? We just have a different public perception that didn't really matter, because everything is railroaded, because the author wanted to make a book, but also make money off of it as a game.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

That's when you knew you had to be a Powered Hero when you grew up, because:

I wanted to save lives.

I wanted people to look at me that way.

I wanted to be just like my parents.

quote:

+12 Fame / -12 Justice

"I want to be a hero, just like you!" you shouted once you all got outside, leaping into the air.

Your mom jumped forward and snatched you out of the air, spinning you around while she hugged you tightly.

"One day, you'll fly higher than you ever thought possible," Mom whispered in your ear as she placed you back on the ground. And in that moment, you wanted to believe those words more than anything.

Now, for better or worse, you know that single experience set you on the path that has led you here, today.

quote:

PART ONE - AGAINST ALL ODDS

--------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER ONE - TOLD YOU SO

"What's the matter, chicken got your tongue?"

You stare across the fire at Prodigal, her masked face flickering with shadows. The sight of her kevlar bodysuit, that red stripe running up her long, lean body and across her face… it sends a chill through you.

Prodigal is one of the most dangerous enemies you've ever faced and now she's standing ten feet from you, while Grandma is just inside the safe house. And you're Powerless. But that's not what bothers you most about this situation. No, what really matters is what Prodigal has just told you:

That her mother, Miss Artillery, the villain your parents were sent to jail for murdering, is actually alive.

A thousand thoughts scramble through your brain at once, but your first instinct is to:

Take Prodigal down — I can sort out the truth once she is detained.

Get as many answers out of Prodigal as possible, then decide how to deal with her.

Play Prodigal's game and charm her to spill information.

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Snowdrop Notevil Goodperson

Stats

Fame: 62% Justice: 38% :siren:

More Stats

Your Relationships

World Statistic

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Take her down.

We might as well start failing and losing early.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
MURDERDEATHKILL

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Almosted852 posted:

Great ending to one of the best Choice of Games series out there. The challenges you face in the game are fresh, unique, and creative. The choices you make, from the beginning of the first book to this last one all significantly affect the final outcome. It has some surprising twists and tense moments. Herofall also gives the whole trilogy huge replay value because of all of the possible endings.

My only complaint is that some of the relationship scenes seem forced, which is minimal compared to everything else Herofall does right. If you're a fan of Choice of Games, have played any of the previous games in the trilogy, or are just looking for a good eBook type game, definitely pick this up.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Charm

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Press for answers

We're powerless and memory serves her power is to create any weapon she wants.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

A thousand thoughts scramble through your brain at once, but your first instinct is to:

Take Prodigal down — I can sort out the truth once she is detained.

Get as many answers out of Prodigal as possible, then decide how to deal with her.

Play Prodigal's game and charm her to spill information.

quote:

+7 Offensive / -7 Defensive
+5 Revenge / -5 Ideals

Prodigal is far too deadly to leave unchecked—you need to attack her before she expects it.

You know all too well that you still can't access your full Powers, so you're going to have to get creative here. What's your best move?

Tackle Prodigal and knock her out.

Kick ash and dirt into Prodigal's eyes to distract her, then detain her.

Practice strengthening my gravity Powers by snapping off a tree branch above Prodigal. (Power Cost 20)

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Stats

Fame: 62% Justice: 38%

Offensive: 57% Defensive: 43% :siren:

Revenge: 55% Ideals: 45% :siren:

More Stats

Your Relationships

World Statistic

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

use powers whenever possible

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Watch out for that tree!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Be spiteful and childish by kicking some dirt at her eyes.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Oh christ, incoming bird fetish. Tree.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Blind her

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Use the awesome power of gravity to hit someone with a stick.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We spent lots of time in the safehouse watching football, so it's only natural for us to hit her with a tree branch.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Drop a branch on her.

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012
Sha sha, pocket sand! ([b]dirt in eyes [\b])

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

You know all too well that you still can't access your full Powers, so you're going to have to get creative here. What's your best move?

Tackle Prodigal and knock her out.

Kick ash and dirt into Prodigal's eyes to distract her, then detain her.

Practice strengthening my gravity Powers by snapping off a tree branch above Prodigal. (Power Cost 20)

quote:

-40 Power
-20 Health
+1 Unknown Stat No. 2

You focus on a tree branch above Prodigal and try to increase its gravity. The strain hurts like slugger and it costs an insane amount of Power (and probably some Health) for such a small move, but it works.

The branch cracks and falls towards Prodigal, but she quickly launches into a backflip, generating a kick-shield to snap the branch. She lands and stares at you, eyes narrowed.

"I'm not here to fight, you remarkable imbecile," Prodigal snaps. "But don't make me get all nasty on you."

After this, you expect Prodigal to attack you back, but instead she just stands there with her arms crossed.

quote:

As Prodigal stands there staring you down, you notice the seams of her red-stripe face mask seem to be a bit frayed. Her long brown hair sits in wild tangles and her eyes look a little red. What exactly has Prodigal been through to get here?

"I've spent the past few months putting together the pieces of a rather elaborate puzzle," Prodigal begins. "We don't have time to sort through all of it now, so I'll give you the big picture: I have reason to believe that my darling mother, the sumptuous Miss Artillery, is alive and well. And how do I know such a thing, you must be wondering?"

You nod, trying your best to maintain some patience.

"It turns out that Miss Artillery had a second Power set, one she went to great lengths to keep secret. Apparently mother darling not only had the Power to project weaponry, like yours truly, but she also had the Power to project her own death in a million vivid ways. So that colorful, deathly display at the hands of your parents? A Powered projection."

quote:

"How do I know any of this—"

"Do please hold all questions until the end!" Prodigal barks. "Anyway, as far as I've been able to see with my scintillating surveilling Powers, then-Judge Victon and Miss Artillery made a mutually beneficial deal: mother dearest needed a bailout once your do-gooder parents shut down her Assassin Academy and Victon needed a splashy case to launch his mayoral campaign.

"So it is my belief that, in exchange for her framing your parents with her death-projection Powers, Victon then placed my very-alive mother in a comfortably free setup, halfway around the world, where she still lives to this day."

Slugger.

That all makes sense, in a way. But could any of it really be true? And if it is, how the slugger did Prodigal find all of this out?

quote:

"Since you seem to be processing this with all the speed of a racing tortoise, let me put the pieces together for you," Prodigal continues. "You help me find Miss Artillery and we not only both reunite with our parents, but we get to take down our prominent anti-Infini enemy, President Victon."

Prodigal is right about that much, but this definitely seems too good to be true. You can't forget that you're dealing with an insane villain, after all.

"I need evidence that Miss Artillery is alive," you say.

"Now, little genius, if I had that, do you think I'd need you?" Prodigal says.

"Why do you need me?" you ask.

"That is a longer story than we have time for," Prodigal says, glancing at her wrist. "I'm afraid we really must get somewhere safe, and then I can tell you everything."

Of course Prodigal would say that.

Really, this boils down to two very simple considerations. If Prodigal is telling the truth, finding Miss Artillery could exonerate your parents and prove President Victon is corrupt in one bold move. But if she is lying, this could just be another one of her plots to ruin you.

What do you think?

I believe Prodigal. I have to.

Prodigal is definitely lying. I can't trust her. Ever.

I'm not sure what to believe. So I'll hear Prodigal out, but keep my guard way up.

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Stats

Fame: 62% Justice: 38%

Offensive: 57% Defensive: 43%

Revenge: 55% Ideals: 45%

More Stats

Power: 60 :siren:

Health: 80 :siren:

Your Relationships

World Statistic

Unknown Stat: 1 :siren:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

sagnikarmakar posted:

One of the best choice of games. This trilogy is simply awesome and amazing. Hope they come out with some more games like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Is Prodigal the horrible bird woman from the last game?

• Locked thread