Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Rebellion was the one who gave us the bad drugs, right? Him I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Black Magic.

... What do you mean that's not an option. Urrgh, fine, Rebellion I guess

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Uh...Rebellion?

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
From what little survived me purging this series from my mind, I think Jury was Victon's... son? Nephew? Whatever. We hate that guy.

That said, what's the over/under on this being one of the vaunted "fake choices"?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The Protectorate's on our Relations stat, so I imagine this could have some affect on that.

So are the Victons. gently caress the Victons. Jury's an rear end.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mikl posted:

Are we supposed to know who the gently caress these guys are? Because even after re-reading the recap of the previous episodes I have no clue how they differ from each other, they are all generic "flunkies of the big bad boss" types to me.

Having just marathoned the previous game's thread:
1) Rebellion is the treacherous dickbag our "hero" idolized for some reason but who was one of the key players behind the conspiracy that hosed us last game.
2) Inherit is a techno-powered minion of the religious anti-power (but technology comes from man therefore is "natural") Meek movement. I forget if he personally is involved with the conspiracy, but the Meek certainly were, and he's an rear end in a top hat, also.
3) Jury is President Victon's son, has a completely useless power, and is also an rear end in a top hat.
4) Summit is basically antipower bigoted Batman. And an rear end in a top hat.
5) Stage Show is a trans woman celebrity super with light powers, IIRC. And we got her husband kicked off the show last game so she hates us.
6) Wintry is a stereotypical nuclear family mom who happens to have cold powers and seemed cool until she switched to the other faction last game because she became friends with Stage Show.

gently caress Rebellion

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Stage Show. This has nothing to do with her gender identity and everything to do with her being descended from Kardashian stock.

Sergi made that up, not me.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Though really, you feel the worst about :

1. Rebellion.

2. Inherit.

3. Jury.

4. Summit.

5. Stage Show.

6. Wintry.

quote:

The betrayal that hurts the most comes from Rebellion, your lifelong idol. You still hope to get a chance to confront him someday. Hopefully very soon.

But that thought fades as President Victon continues his speech.

"The Victon administration has created the IRP to protect all American citizens, Powered and unPowered. America has a rich history of harnessing Powered resources and the IRP is the next bold phase of this great American tradition."

Hearing this, Prodigal laughs from her spot in the corner.

"Also continuing great American traditions like slavery, the McCarthy trials, and the Japanese internment camps," Prodigal mutters. "And I know for a fact that great phallic dampener of his is just the beginning…."

"What are you going on about now?" Grandma snaps.

"Well, gracious Granny, wouldn't you know that I've been keeping tabs on our boy Victon as best I can, though admittedly, it's been far more difficult ever since he became —"

"If you have a point, get to it," you bark. "Now."

quote:

"Moody moody oh so broody!" Prodigal hums. "My point, dearest darlings, is that the IRP isn't finished inventing new genocidal wonders. I've seen firsthand that they're trying to make a smaller version of that jaunty Infinity Regulator to weaponize — one that also makes the Infini-dampening effects permanent."

"Slugger," you curse. Because while this development isn't necessarily unexpected, it is wholly terrifying. Especially as you turn to find a list of the first five Infini Powereds called to report to the IRP…

And your name tops the list.

quote:

"Well, look at that," Prodigal chuckles. "Someone's gone and gotten all famous, even without little old me!"

You ignore Prodigal, scanning the other names on the list — there's no one else you recognize, at least not yet. It's no surprise that President Victon is trying to make you public enemy number one, given what happened at The Hero Project finale and your new status as an Infini icon.

You've become a symbol for Powered rights standing against The Meek movement, the Victon administration and all anti-Powered bigots. You inspire your followers as a figure to be feared, especially by your enemies.

President Victon and The American Protectorate will be coming for you very soon, with nearly unlimited resources….

quote:

"I hate to play a broken record, but we really should skedaddle," Prodigal says. "If we're going to have any chance of escaping before—"

"Do you ever shut up, you infernal hag?" Grandma nearly shouts.

At this, Prodigal drops her smile. "You know, grumpy Granny, this has all been well and good, but I can bust free from these dead drearies whenever I please. I'm only staying put as a show of faith, so don't make that good will run out."

"Oh, I'd like nothing more than a reason for De Milo to take a chunk out of your —"

"Quiet, please, both of you," you say as Victon reappears on the screen, continuing his speech.

quote:

"I'd also like to announce a new feature of the IRP, one that many feel is far overdue. I stand on a platform of Powered Regulation — it is what I built my legal and political careers on, and ultimately what got me elected your president. As a man, a judge, and a mayor, I have always stood for punishing abhorrent acts of Powered abuse. And now as your president, I plan to do the same on a national level. To set a standard for us all.

"Which is why I've assembled a special tribunal to single out extreme acts of Powered abuse to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. I do this to send a message to the American people and the entire world that such abuse will not be tolerated.

"This special tribunal has been given authority to name the most egregious Powered offenders whose crimes have been the most heinous and, in many cases, whom they feel still pose a clear and present danger to America. This tribunal has thereby sanctioned the death penalty in these special cases."

Hearing this, your stomach drops and your limbs go numb.

Your first thought is: how the slugger could Victon get away with something like this? Just how untouchable has Victon made the Infinity Regulation Program and The American Protectorate, establishing both so quickly and absolutely? Surely the other branches of government, especially the DRPR, must have something to say about this. Why are they just standing by as President Victon amasses this unprecedented executive power?

quote:

Then again, it has been proven time and time again throughout history that if you get a population frightened enough, they'll accept anything. Slugger, even something as simple as airport security forces everyone to give up all personal freedoms in the name of safety, without thinking twice.

And after Prodigal's Death Wave, Culic's reign of terror, The Crush coma incident, The Hero Project Finale and the rising tide of anti-Powered sentiment, America is most certainly afraid.

Which means it looks like in the coming months, you're all going to have to choose what is more valuable to you — freedom or security. If everyone is allowed to do what they want and live totally free, that leaves little space for security. On the other hand, a society can live completely securely if every aspect of life is checked and regulated, but that leaves no room for freedom.

America has always been about balancing freedom and security, but right now the scales seem to be tipping.

And you believe:

1. It's far more important to be free, even if that means never being truly safe.

2. I'd rather be safe and give up certain freedoms.

3. I think it's crucial to find the right balance between freedom and security.

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Snowdrop Notevil Goodperson

Stats

Fame: 62% Justice: 38%

Lawless: 50% Lawful: 50%

Offensive: 57% Defensive: 43%

Soloist: 50% Team Player: 50%

Unleash: 50% Control: 50%

Feared: 50% Revered: 50%

Revenge: 61% Ideals: 39%

Freedom: 50% Security: 50%

More Stats

Power: 60

Health: 80

Money: 19,500

Legend: 0

Your Relationships

Grandma: 70%

Jenny: 50%

The Victons: 5%

Prodigal: 23%

The American Protectorate: 5%

Black Magic: 50%

Lucky: 50%

World Statistic

Anti-Powered Sentiment: 100%

Unknown Stat: 0

Unknown Stat: 1

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Critical Acclaim for Heroes Fall

Toastgravy posted:

The conclusion to the trilogy of Heroes Rise. This one really made me enjoy all of this series and make me feel at ease. I felt like I was the Batman or any hero you love, standing for what I felt was right, with my AI companion that followed me through all 3, the drag queen Lafawnda. I forgot to mention the fact in all 3, I had put on a few soundtracks that seemed fitting and became immersed in the game. This one wraps up the story, while still making you on your toes, waiting to see what comes next. Replay value is around the same with Hero Project, but after this involving story, some may say they see the replay value as less, all up to you. If you love a good choose-your-own adventure, or maybe the thought of being a super hero, check this series out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ham fisted message about freedom go

Jesus Christ. Superhero stories are usually pretty bad at taking on anything more complex than 'evil needs to be punched in the dick', but this is just painful to read.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Death to the fascist oppressors.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
FREEDOM!

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

We should always be free, despite the fact that regulations for people who possess massive destructive powers seems like a pretty sensible idea.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i agree with mass-murderer prodigal that we should be free

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Prodigal, stop trying to be PoI's Root.

The Revolution stays strong in our hearts!

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
This isn't just hamfisted. Motherfucker literally duct taped pigs to his arms. NO GODS NO MASTERS

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

quote:

Well, gracious Granny,
Moody moody oh so broody
dearest darlings
should skedaddle
Prodigal is earth's most annoying terrorist

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 14, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The author is trying to make her the Joker but he has such a tin ear for dialog she's just incredibly annoying.

Freedom, woo, I guess.

Say what you will about Victon, it was awfully nice of him to announce the names of all the super powered people he's going to round up on national TV before actually sending anyone to round them up.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

quote:

"Quiet, please, both of you," you say as Victon reappears on the screen, continuing his speech.

Wait, where did he go in the middle of his own speech? He got interrupted because Prodigal wanted to put in her commentary, but that means he should have been yammering on in the background the entire time.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Wait, where did he go in the middle of his own speech? He got interrupted because Prodigal wanted to put in her commentary, but that means he should have been yammering on in the background the entire time.

In this Grimmest, Darkest, Grimdark future, there are only DVRs without pause buttons :commissar:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

And you believe:

1. It's far more important to be free, even if that means never being truly safe.

2. I'd rather be safe and give up certain freedoms.

3. I think it's crucial to find the right balance between freedom and security.

quote:

+7 Lawless / -7 Lawful
+7 Freedom / -7 Security

You have a feeling that, whether you like it or not, many of your decisions in the coming days are going to force you to decide which you value more, freedom or security.

quote:

That thought—and every other thought — washes away as President Victon posts the special tribunal's execution list.

The first name you see is The Crush, which doesn't necessarily come as a big surprise. The Crush has served as President Victon's scapegoat for months now; whether he truly deserves this after all he has done is a question for another time.

Because you've got one thought racing through your mind as you scroll through the short list. You just pray you don't find…

But then you see it, the last two names on the list:

The Sound and The Fury.

And you whimper out loud.

quote:

Beside you, Grandma screams, rustling all of the indoor plants into a frenzy.

This can't… It couldn't…

Victon has gone too far, this time.

I'm going to kill Victon for this.

I have to show the entire nation that Victon is wrong.

I will take down Victon and prove him wrong at the same time.

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Stats

Lawless: 57% Lawful: 43%

Revenge: 61% Ideals: 39%

Freedom: 57% Security: 43%

More Stats

Your Relationships

World Statistic

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
MURDER DEATH KILL.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Take him down and prove him wrong. Why kill him when we can get the public to call for his death?

It also seems like that's the 'both' choice.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Critical Acclaim for Heroes Fall

kalikagai posted:

It is an exciting and fascinating story that's waiting for you right here! The whole Heroes Rise trilogy is definitely worth reading AND playing - yeah, despite of being a text novel this is still a game, and quite a re-playable one.

1. Convincing characters cause empathy. You will love them, you will hate them.
2. You'll face a thrilling plot and experience well executed storytelling.
3. You choices are not just nominal here: you become a real co-author, a co-creator of the narrative fabric.

If your imagination is developed well enough to perceive the text, be sure to pay attention to this creation.

Resume: it is definitely worthy of purchase!

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
We are going to be Infini Hitler.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Let's introduce a nuke to Victon's face.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galick posted:

We are going to be Infini Hitler.

Really, this should be our voting guideline in general. Struggling as mightily against the impossible rails of destiny as possible.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Kill

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Batman never killed and he won't start now. :colbert:

Takedowns are the way to go

Plot Hole #5 (? For this book alone. I dunno if it actually is #5, but it's a good place to start): Victon has a hate boner for infini-powered individuals like Prodigal, The Crash and ourselves. The Sound and The Fury are regular, garden-variety super heroes with only one specific power.
Plot Hole #6: The Sound and The Fury are already in superhero Azkaban serving an indefinitely long sentence. What more do you loving want?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
He has a hate boner for all powered people. He used it to crawl his way to power. His got his power from screwing over The Sound and The Fury.

And why kill them? Because he apparently faked the death he was punishing them for. He's trying to prevent that. I presume something that happened at the end of the last game between him and Prodigal is freaking him out. Since Prodigal apparently did something with the Hero Project.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

SSNeoman posted:

Oh yeah, we are Batma N for this, aren't we... I still say gently caress all Victons. Kill him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SSNeoman posted:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Kgummy posted:

He has a hate boner for all powered people. He used it to crawl his way to power. His got his power from screwing over The Sound and The Fury.

And why kill them? Because he apparently faked the death he was punishing them for. He's trying to prevent that. I presume something that happened at the end of the last game between him and Prodigal is freaking him out. Since Prodigal apparently did something with the Hero Project.
Prodigal was monitoring the whole thing and also sent you those mystery messages. It came up right at the end of the last game.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

We shall murder him to death.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Oh wow, this looks amazing.

The president must die!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That slugger is so grating. :negative: I have to force myself to read this. How does this get better grades than the Necromancer of wizard stories.

We kill him...but it probably won't happen and we'll get offed by the latest in bird superheroes.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Victon has gone too far, this time.

I'm going to kill Victon for this.

I have to show the entire nation that Victon is wrong.

I will take down Victon and prove him wrong at the same time.

quote:

+6 Lawless / -6 Lawful
+5 Revenge / -5 Ideals

You don't care what it takes, revenge will be your priority above all else.

quote:

"It troubles me greatly to live in an age where such decisions are necessary, but I have always believed in zero tolerance for Powered abuse," President Victon finishes. "Which is why these executions are set to begin Sunday night."

Once again, you freeze. That's just two days from now.

Hearing this, an eerie sense of calm washes over you. Because now nothing else matters besides finding a way to save your parents. Fast.

Just as you think this, you feel a hand on your shoulder.

"We're going to bring that mother slugger down," Prodigal says, standing beside you. "I promise you that."

This time you and Grandma don't argue. You don't even wonder how Prodigal managed to free herself from Grandma's vines and De Milo's watch. Five minutes ago, you could never have imagined a world where you worked with Prodigal to achieve anything…

But it seems you just stepped into that world.

quote:

So for the moment, you let Prodigal stand beside you.

Though you quickly realize that might not be the smartest move as you spot a camera orb hanging outside the nearest window…

Right in front of a full SWAT team.

Slugger.

"Well, I hate to say it, but…" Prodigal starts, stepping away from the window. "I told you so."

quote:

CHAPTER TWO - FOUGHT THE LAW

Someone's head is going to roll.

It's the thought that rises above all the questions piling up: how did the police know to come to this DRPR safe house? Is there a leak at the DRPR? If so, Jenny won't be pleased… speaking of whom, where is Jenny? And why are the police here now—shouldn't you have a day to appear for your IRP summons? Did President Victon authorize this? Or did the police somehow follow Prodigal here? Is that why she kept saying you had to get going?

The simple answer to all of these questions remains: heads rolling.

You just hope one of them won't be yours.

quote:

"Batma N, you are hereby called to report, with escort, to the Infinity Regulation Center," a voice crackles over a loudspeaker from outside. "Additionally, it appears you are harboring a dangerous fugitive. We have the house completely surrounded. If you surrender peacefully and hand over Prodigal, your compliance will be noted. But know that resistance is futile."

Like slugger it is, you think.

Still, the decisions you're going to have to make in the next few minutes are going to be vital. President Victon's announcement about your parents and the arrival of the police changes everything. You wish you had more time to make a real plan, but time is a luxury you can't afford right now.

Because everything that matters in your life is at risk, in this moment.

quote:

Which means you need all the help you can get. You think of the MeChip Warning System, which informs you of strategic possibilities and warns you if you're about to make a decision with a high level of risk.

Did you purchase the MeChip Warning System in the last few weeks to prepare for an emergency like this one?

1. Yes I did, with in-game money. (Cost: $50,000)

2. Buy the MeChip Warning System as an In-App Purchase. (Approximate cost: $0.99)

3. No I didn't.

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Stats

Lawless: 63% Lawful: 37%

Revenge: 66% Ideals: 34%

Freedom: 57% Security: 43%

More Stats

Your Relationships

World Statistic

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
IAPs can go slugger themselves.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Dear God no JKWS don't give this person more money.

He did it. He found a new low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

What the gently caress? Pay-to-win in-app purchases in a CYOA game? :psyduck:

Kindly go gently caress yourself, kthxbye.

• Locked thread