Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
>Kill Self

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Bet you can't resist a scoop, can you?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

screw everything

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Think of the opportunity.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I just want to kill Prodigal, tbh

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

So you turn to Juhi and say:

"Please. I need to know if Prodigal is lying if I'm going to have any shot of saving my parents."

"If we find out Prodigal is lying, I'll kill her for you."

"I'd never dream of asking this of you under any other circumstances, but you're here already. And I need you."

"I know you don't know me, but Sonja believed in me."

"Screw everything else, just think of the anti-Meek reporting opportunity you might have here."

quote:

+1 Revenge / -1 Ideals
+2 Freedom / -2 Security

Juhi closes her eyes, obviously having an internal conversation with herself. Then she opens her eyes and looks directly at you.

"Fine, I'll do it," she finally says. "But on one condition: after we're done, I want continued and unfettered access to report on your progress."

"You know we're fugitives now," you say. "Associating with us will —"

"I can take care of myself," Juhi cuts in. "Do we have a deal?"

You look to Prodigal and think, what choice do you have? So you and Prodigal both nod.

"Then let's get to work," Juhi finishes.

quote:

Minutes Later

You sit in a circle with Juhi and Prodigal, all holding hands.

"Everyone close your eyes and prepare your minds," Juhi says. "This isn't an exact science, but if Prodigal focuses on the right memories, we should see only what we need to inside her thoughts. Are we ready?"

"Yes," you say, suddenly experiencing a rush of dizziness.

quote:

You feel turned upside down, so you force your eyelids shut until the spinning stops. When it does, you open your eyes to find that you're in a submarine, one that sits cracked open on an airstrip.

You look around and realize you're in some kind of abandoned military base. Though "looking" isn't quite what you should call it. Your body isn't actually here, but you're somehow still aware of your surroundings. You feel like some kind of ghost, incorporeal and floating, and you can sense Juhi and Prodigal's presences nearby, too.

Then you see the actual, physical Prodigal across the inside of the land-wrecked submarine and remember you're witnessing one of her memories.

quote:

"This will do quite nicely, don't you think, Terry?" Prodigal sings, twirling to pet a pterrot, which must be the same one you saw in her Fringe lair just now—it has the same raw pink skin interspersed with colorful feathers. Terry the pterrot screeches and tries to scratch Prodigal with a clawed wing, but her wingspan is too short and Prodigal easily sidesteps the swipe.

"Who'd have thought my Death Wave would clear out so much lovely abandoned lairspace?" Prodigal continues, while Terry limps alongside. Terry doesn't look so good, like she's sick or something. You're not surprised — if Prodigal is in the Big Sur wasteland, the levels of radiation here are bound to be highly toxic. Though you're not sure why it doesn't affect Prodigal… maybe she is somehow immune, since her Powers partially fueled the whole thing?

"Squawk. Warspace. Artillerywar," Terry suddenly croaks. "Chickensblood. Squawk."

quote:

"What a stunning poem, my dear Terry!" Prodigal chimes. "You are without doubt the best addition to my N castoff collection!"

Prodigal smiles as she sits down at a computer console and you see that she has customized the panel. There are several re-rigged screens and processors attached to the console, probably salvaged from other abandoned crafts on this base.

And you can't help but notice Prodigal's infamous Death Wave suit in the corner, which you now realize has a holo-illusion panel attached to the front, simulating a gaping chest wound. So that's how Prodigal faked her death…

Like mother, like daughter, you suppose.

quote:

"What a truly fitting home indeed, Terry," Prodigal hums, petting Terry's feathered neck as she perches beside the computer console. Terry tries to snap at Prodigal's fingers with her long beak, but Prodigal just dodges her attempts absent-mindedly.

"A military base befitting a queen, the perfect place to plot some fresh scheme. And since we both know my Powers only operate at their peak when I'm waging war," Prodigal says, looking down at her console controls. "Let's start one anew, shall we?"

"Squawk. Warlife. Murderwar."

Ignoring Terry's croaks, you can't help but think:

Learning that Prodigal needs to be at war for her Powers to work correctly explains so much.

This military base lair can't be too far away from Culic's castle headquarters.

Do Terry's ramblings actually mean anything?

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Snowdrop Notevil Goodperson

Stats

Fame: 62% Justice: 38%

Lawless: 70% Lawful: 30%

Offensive: 61% Defensive: 39%

Soloist: 50% Team Player: 50%

Unleash: 55% Control: 45%

Feared: 50% Revered: 50%

Revenge: 67% Ideals: 33%

Freedom: 53% Security: 47%

More Stats

Power: 30

Health: 65

Money: 19,500

Legend: 0

Your Relationships

Grandma: 70%

Jenny: 50%

The Victons: 5%

Prodigal: 18%

The American Protectorate: 5%

Black Magic: 50%

Lucky: 50%

World Statistic

Anti-Powered Sentiment: 100%

Unknown Stat: -1

Unknown Stat: 2

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Let's ignore everything else and see if the birdman lizard thing makes any drat sense.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

What was that, Terry? Little Timmy Artillery fell down a well?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

quote:

You look to Prodigal and think, what choice do you have?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Indulge the author's bird fetish.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fast-forward through these therapy sessions

Why are we in third-person if these are Prodigal's memories? Why is the author re-iterating what we already goddamn know? Get to the loving point already!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This game is slugger.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Decoy Badger posted:

Indulge the author's bird fetish.
Yes. Let's learn more about bird.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
talk aboot boyd
:sigh: Why am I reading/alskimming this when I can read neighbourhood necromancer.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

who cares

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Darth TNT posted:

talk aboot boyd
:sigh: Why am I reading/alskimming this when I can read neighbourhood necromancer.

I find myself asking the same question.
Bird? What's going on with that bird?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'd vote for fast forwarding through the false choices, except I have a feeling that that would be asking JWKS to post the entire thing in one go...

This parrot has ceased to care!

Aug 24, 2011

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Ignoring Terry's croaks, you can't help but think:

Learning that Prodigal needs to be at war for her Powers to work correctly explains so much.

This military base lair can't be too far away from Culic's castle headquarters.

Do Terry's ramblings actually mean anything?

quote:

As this thought crosses your mind, you find yourself suddenly inside a massive bird cage filled with sleeping pterrots. They all have red stripes painted up their torsos, just like Prodigal.

You turn and see Juhi standing next to you, then look down and see your own body has appeared as well.

"Wait a moment," Juhi says. "We shouldn't be physically present. And where is Prod —"

But Juhi is interrupted as all of the pterrots suddenly stir, turning to look at you.

"Nobody's supposed to be here," all of the pterrots squawk at once. "Gimme one reason to stay here and I'll turn right back around."

quote:

"Oh my god," Juhi whispers.

"Uh, Juhi?" you ask. "What is this?"

"I saw that Prodigal's mind was fractured when we entered it, but I didn't think it would…" Juhi trails off, her eyes growing wide as she looks around. "I think Prodigal's mind is booby trapped, somehow. That slugging witch should have warned us that—"

"What do we do?" you interrupt, sensing that things are about to get very nasty, very quickly.

"I think…" Juhi starts. "Okay, Prodigal wants us in here so we see certain memories. So if we finish the tour according to her desires, her mind should let us go. But if we enter uninvited areas like this, we're going to have to clear them by tricking her mind into believing we belong here. Then we should be able to move on. I think."

quote:

"And if we don't?" you ask.

"Prepare to die," Prodigal's mindvoice chimes in.

"Uh, what she said," Juhi says, backing away. "I don't think we can actually die, since we're not really here. But we can definitely get lost, bouncing from broken memory to broken memory forever."

You're not quite sure how any of this is possible, but you also don't have time to work it all out right now. Because being trapped and tortured in Prodigal's crazy mind forever sounds like the very definition of hell.

So how are you going to convince Prodigal's fractured mind that you're not a hostile entity?

Repeat one of Terry's squawk croak keywords.

Shout: "We're reporting for war, Commander Prodigal!"

Threaten Prodigal — she responds best to war, after all.

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Stats

Lawless: 71% Lawful: 29%

More Stats

Your Relationships

World Statistic

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Repeat one of the croaks.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Hostility is clearly the key to avoiding hostility.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
We have no choice but to indulge in the author's bird fetish. Croak

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh for gently caress's sake this was just supposed to be a goddamn flashback.

Croak and GET ON WITH IT.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Ooh, a puzzle! It's tricky, but I'm going to go with...

Bird is the word.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There's a metaphor for alcoholism about walking down the same street and falling in the same hole. That's me for this LP. I want to stop reading it. I want to ignore the fact we have 0.0% chance, over 15+ choices, of "not getting trapped in a serial-killer-we-hate's brain".

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I bet whatever choice we do is still going to have us trapped. And then retry from the beginning of this section until we pick the right combination of choices to continue. Just like Gods Will Be Watching. :v:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
So hey, I know I'm a little late on this, but...

quote:

Juhi is lost in full-on rage mode. And who can blame her, since this must have been the lair where Prodigal killed Sonja.

"That's all well and good," Prodigal coughs, "but notice how I let Kyle here untie you? And how I didn't fight back just now? I'm not going to hurt you. I need your help."

Who the hell is Kyle?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

AWK! AWK! AWK!

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Croak like a frog-bird.

Inflammatory posted:

Who the hell is Kyle?
I'd guess it's whoever would be there if you saved the reporter.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Inflammatory posted:

Who the hell is Kyle?

Probably the author's real name. 'Cause you know he wrote this about himself.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The :bird: goes croak of which no smilie exists.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

So how are you going to convince Prodigal's fractured mind that you're not a hostile entity?

Repeat one of Terry's squawk croak keywords.

Shout: "We're reporting for war, Commander Prodigal!"

Threaten Prodigal — she responds best to war, after all.

quote:

You try to repeat one of Terry's croak-words, paying careful attention to recreate an exact one-word phrase:

Character Sheet posted:

Codename

Stats

Lawless: 71% Lawful: 29%

More Stats

Your Relationships

World Statistic

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Murderwar

Aug 24, 2011

Slugger :suicide:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and