Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

bulletsponge13 posted:

I don't have a PEB rating yet, I'm not even in IDES tracker yet.lol

k. I take it this is not time sensitive, then? Co-worker of mine is national guard JAG, let me get the right regs, as I know guard and reserves have some wonky rules, and, as has thankfully been brought to my attention, there have been some pretty big changes. If it's not too personal, what's the condition? And just to rehash, is your basic question what you can get from VA vs. DoD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hi, just popping in to remind folks that as a resource thread, resource thread rules apply here.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

bulletsponge13 posted:

I don't have a PEB rating yet, I'm not even in IDES tracker yet.lol

lol

If you aren't in IDES and haven't done your C&P exams yet you are nowhere in the MEB, let alone Retirement process.

I know yours is gonna be complicated but if you start from the beginning maybe I can help?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have been in the process for five years. My packet should be arriving at big Army for the PEB process, with the MEB having been done in 2009.
Yes, it has been a serious loving cluster. The Army already has all my VA information/medical records, and I am being told it should be relatively quick (ha!) decision. My question was really a more of what should I expect at the end of all this bullshit, and maybe how painful of a process this is going to be.
E: I will type out a long, detailed thing later- I am on my phone right now.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 12, 2014

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have been in the process for five years. My packet should be arriving at big Army for the PEB process, with the MEB having been done in 2009.
Yes, it has been a serious loving cluster. The Army already has all my VA information/medical records, and I am being told it should be relatively quick (ha!) decision. My question was really a more of what should I expect at the end of all this bullshit, and maybe how painful of a process this is going to be.
E: I will type out a long, detailed thing later- I am on my phone right now.

My MEB took something like 3 and a half years and it kept stalling at every stage. It ended up getting rushed to completion at the end when people from the Pentagon started calling and asking why it was taking so drat long. I don't know what office in the Pentagon is handles MEBs, but your PEBLO is supposed to be reporting every case that goes on longer than a certain amount of time to them. Maybe find out if that has happened.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Holy loving poo poo, I'm just shy of 4 months in and going to look at my ratings on Tuesday.

gently caress that noise right there.

For reals with another 3 and a half years in I think I'd probably be dead.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My MEB started back in like 2008, no one told my unit for nearly a year. My unit finally got their poo poo together somewhat and started my PEB packet. Then, mistakes between my unit, both in procedure and communication, created a cascade of problems that is finally resolved. It has finally left my unit, been pushed up through Division and is slated to leave the NGB for the big Army this week or so. No one has given me any clear advice on what to expect, or exactly how this is supposed to work. I really would like to know what the best case and the worst case scenario of the final outcome of my PEB. If you need more personal and private info regarding conditions and whatnot, I would be happy to share them privately.

Most of the total time was do to incompetence in my unit, and my own mistakes when I was told the wrong things.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

bulletsponge13 posted:

My MEB started back in like 2008, no one told my unit for nearly a year. My unit finally got their poo poo together somewhat and started my PEB packet. Then, mistakes between my unit, both in procedure and communication, created a cascade of problems that is finally resolved. It has finally left my unit, been pushed up through Division and is slated to leave the NGB for the big Army this week or so. No one has given me any clear advice on what to expect, or exactly how this is supposed to work. I really would like to know what the best case and the worst case scenario of the final outcome of my PEB. If you need more personal and private info regarding conditions and whatnot, I would be happy to share them privately.

Most of the total time was do to incompetence in my unit, and my own mistakes when I was told the wrong things.

unit incompetence happens...a lot. Sad to see that part hasn't changed. I suppose this means I'll finally have to upgrade my acct. :(

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

unit incompetence happens...a lot. Sad to see that part hasn't changed. I suppose this means I'll finally have to upgrade my acct. :(

I can always email so you don't have to.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

nah, it's probably time to upgrade. You've got questions. Others have offered fitting avatars. The signs all point to "it's only 10 loving dollars you cheap bitch." Plus there is no way in hell I'm putting my e-mail up here. Gimme a day or 2. Will take that long for the courts to stop observing white privilege day so I can talk to my guard coworker anyway.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

ok, paid account activated. message me the info. I've found some regs that I think apply, but I want to get more facts before I start weeding through it all. Spoke with Guard JAG co-worker...he just started googling crap. Told him I can also work google and am not old, so therefore can likely google faster.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So, had my little ratings meeting today. 100% permanent and total, combat related. Go me. I'm lucky that it ended up like that, I think they completely hosed a few of my ratings up, but in the end didn't really matter.

The VA also tells me that I'm an absolute poo poo mess, and should be a housebound goon. They are are gonna give me something called SMC(S) which is like an extra 3 hundo and something a month on top of that. Didn't know that poo poo even existed. Pretty nice.

PEBLO said something about CSRC but I'm not going to pretend that I understand that poo poo at all.

Wounded warrior people said I definitely need to go apply for some VA caregiver stipend for my wife.

Basically, I won't have to suck dick for beer money.

Oh, on the permanent and temporary thing, apparently if I had the PTSD then it would've been a temporary rating, because it's more likely to change at a later date.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Sending you a PM, since after reading it I realized pretty much anyone thats been at my command will be like "oh thats PO Analogical what a loving tool LOL"

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Analogical posted:

Sending you a PM, since after reading it I realized pretty much anyone thats been at my command will be like "oh thats PO Analogical what a loving tool LOL"

Got it. Part a is easy part b i want to mull over a bit will get back to you later today.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Here's a weird one: can a commander order you to clean your dorm in MOPP4? Or even receive their inspection while in MOPP4? This may or may not be relative to my current situation. My homestation leadership seems to think no since there is no real ATSO remedial training involved and it's just a big gently caress you.

Edit: a little backstory, someone punched a hole in the dayroom wall and no one fessed up. Whole dorm will have a MOPP4 GI party this weekend.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

In terms of liability if somebody goes down while doing this and your commander didn't do a risk assessment for the "training event", I could see some trouble for leadership.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

smertrioslol posted:

Here's a weird one: can a commander order you to clean your dorm in MOPP4? Or even receive their inspection while in MOPP4? This may or may not be relative to my current situation. My homestation leadership seems to think no since there is no real ATSO remedial training involved and it's just a big gently caress you.

Edit: a little backstory, someone punched a hole in the dayroom wall and no one fessed up. Whole dorm will have a MOPP4 GI party this weekend.

Generally EMI needs to have a direct nexus to the behavior you're tring to correct. If they can make a cogent argument for how MOPP gear relates to drywall (and generally co's get a little lattitude here) then sure, but i can't think of one, and i was usualy pretty good with tenuous explainations for quasi legal poo poo the boss wanted. However, OA raises a valid point in that if nothing goes wrong and no one complains... if a tree falls in the woods and no one wrote an AA report, did it really fall? My XO during my first tour as a defense JAG had a saying everyone violates the ucmj every day... the question is to what degree? So long way of saying you're probably not supposed to do that but if no one complains, who cares?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

Generally EMI needs to have a direct nexus to the behavior you're tring to correct. If they can make a cogent argument for how MOPP gear relates to drywall (and generally co's get a little lattitude here) then sure, but i can't think of one, and i was usualy pretty good with tenuous explainations for quasi legal poo poo the boss wanted. However, OA raises a valid point in that if nothing goes wrong and no one complains... if a tree falls in the woods and no one wrote an AA report, did it really fall? My XO during my first tour as a defense JAG had a saying everyone violates the ucmj every day... the question is to what degree? So long way of saying you're probably not supposed to do that but if no one complains, who cares?

I'm complaining :sun:

Though I think my threat of going to the IG caused the shirt to back pedal pretty quickly.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

smertrioslol posted:

I'm complaining :sun:

Though I think my threat of going to the IG caused the shirt to back pedal pretty quickly.

Ah, well then. I misread your question and thought for some reason you were involved in implementing, not receiving. No. Unless they can come up with some way in which MOPP gear relates to drywall (and I'm not seeing one) then it's not valid EMI.

(but don't put too much faith in the IG...they are beyond worthless.)

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

Ah, well then. I misread your question and thought for some reason you were involved in implementing, not receiving. No. Unless they can come up with some way in which MOPP gear relates to drywall (and I'm not seeing one) then it's not valid EMI.

(but don't put too much faith in the IG...they are beyond worthless.)

:ohdear:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

What if the commander prescibes MOPP4 as the appropriate level of PPE for cleaning the barracks?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

krispykremessuck posted:

What if the commander prescibes MOPP4 as the appropriate level of PPE for cleaning the barracks?

rational basis for that? Probably not gonna fly.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

ActusRhesus posted:

rational basis for that? Probably not gonna fly.

Rational basis? Have you ever seen what lives above drop ceiling tiles? The fact that most barracks are probably mostly supported by mold/mudwasp colonies surrounding rotted out timbers or poorly mixed concrete, I think he could make a compelling case. If he wanted to admit the condition his facilities are in.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

krispykremessuck posted:

Rational basis? Have you ever seen what lives above drop ceiling tiles? The fact that most barracks are probably mostly supported by mold/mudwasp colonies surrounding rotted out timbers or poorly mixed concrete, I think he could make a compelling case. If he wanted to admit the condition his facilities are in.

My first barracks in Hawaii had cockroaches, black mold, and rats actually falling out of the ceiling tiles.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

zombie303 posted:

My first barracks in Hawaii had cockroaches, black mold, and rats actually falling out of the ceiling tiles.

The Q there is not much better. Was fairly certain I was going to get Norman Bates'd in the shower. The loveliest part was the door separating my room from the next...secured by padlock. Because...you know, nothing like Island Surprise Sex! Also roaches. Large large roaches.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

This post by Angry Fish is pretty good in regards to the 5 year/healthcare if you receive HFP/combat pay etc

quote:

First things first, log into ebenefits.va.gov. Once you're there, submit VA Form 10-10EZ, Application for Health Benefits, and submit it either through eBenefits or send it on its way to a VA facility. You have five years to enroll after your enlistment, but there is no reason to wait. You earned the benefits.

Each VA facility has a OIF/OEF/OND care team specifically there to help you out.

I believe you can talk to someone at the VA for amplifying information. If you have a VA compensatable problem, you can get qualified for overall free services depending on your current income level; it's not free-free though, and the copays are $15-30 dollars depending on the type of care.

If your income exceeds their threshold for care, expect to pay 20% for your care.

GET ON THE GULF WAR REGISTRY SO THEY CANNOT gently caress YOU.

E:
REGISTER FOR DENTAL CARE
Check your eligibility via http://www.va.gov/dental/infoforpts.asp
Download the factsheet: Factsheet IB 10-442, Dental Benefits for Veterans

Take your DD Form 214. I hope to loving Christ In All His Powers that you did not check "Yes," to the box that asks if you received a dental exam within 90 days before leaving service of they're going to laugh at you and say "haha nothing service related get out."

You can apply for dental benefits within 180 days if you selected NO. If you said YES, they're going to shrug their shoulders and ignore you.

If you suffered from "DENTAL TRAUMA" while on active duty status, you are eligible for lifelong dental care beyond that initial 180 days.

If you did not, you can still sign up for the VA Dental Insurance Program (VADIP). It's a fixed monthly premium and your family covered by CHAMPVA are also covered.

And a good thread from the vet benefits thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3359684

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 21, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Lawyers you may come across and what they are worth to you

Everyone hates lawyers. Until they need one. In this installment of "poo poo that's relevant to military justice" we will discuss the various kinds of self-satisfied douchebags lawyers you may run into.

1. The Active Duty Legal Assistance Attorney: If you're lucky and see this person within the first five minutes of their commissioning, they *might* be idealistic enough to actually try to help you. Strike while the iron is hot. However, bear in mind, if they seem genuinely interested in your problem, they have probably only been a lawyer for five minutes. Any LA Attorney quickly realizes that legal assistance sucks, because you can't actually *do* anything, and is just counting the days until they PCS to something more interesting. No one cares about legal assistance. If your Legal Assistance Attorney is an O4 or above, and you are an O5 or below, they are being warehoused. You probably learned more about law watching Saul Goodman scenes on Netflix. Run. Also, if they suggest writing your Congressman without helping draft the letter for you and doing a serious inquiry into who your Congressman is and how best to get their staff involved, they are giving you a blow off. Just leave quietly and never return. About the only thing they can (usually) do with any marked competence is will drafting and that's because there's a computer program (DL Wills) that does all the work for them.

2. The DoD Civilian Legal Assistance Attorney: See above, but too incompetent to open up their own practice/work for a firm. The one exception: military spouse with a law license.

3. The Active Duty Defense Counsel: Pray you never need one of these. But you roll the dice here. If you're lucky you get a true believer defense type (who either secretly plans on getting out after this tour to go into private practice, or has prior service and knows they won't make it past O4 before they are retirement age, or has some other reason to not feel any loyalty to the OJAG mothership.) There are actually a few decent defense attorneys floating around. Not quite unicorn hunting, but definitely four leaf clover territory. If you are unlucky, you will get some useless waste of a uniform who will either be too much of a pussy to zealously advocate for your cause because hey...the prosecutor's boss might sit on his promotion board...or has been a lawyer for five minutes and has no meaningful trial experience. the benefit: They're free.

4. The Reserve Defense Counsel: Might actually be competent depending on what they do in their civilian time (same for legal assistance reservist) but may try to convince you to hire them for further work past their drill period. This is an ethics violation.

5. The Civilian Defense Counsel: The hired gun. Some are better than others. Some, in fact, are great. The pro: you are paying them and money buys loyalty. They also have probably tried more than 5 cases which puts them above most active duty trial lawyers. The con: you are paying them, and your appointed JAG will do most of the work anyway. Still, as first chair, they control trial strategy, which means you will (probably) have a strategy that benefits you without fear of hurting some more senior lawyer's feelings.

6. The SJA: If their main focus is operational law, they probably aren't an idiot. Remember though, this is the command's lawyer. Some benevolent SJAs will do some light legal assistance to make things more convenient for people in the unit, but they may be rusty, and you're going to get common sense vs. subject matter expertise. If your legal issue involves the command in any way, don't trust them. In fact, why the gently caress are they talking to you in the first place? However, not a bad option for simple run of the mill "how can I get my landlord to stop screwing me" "I'm getting a divorce, does this look like a good separation agreement" "can you write a will for my deployment" etc. etc. questions. (PS, belay all the above if it's a hospital SJA. Hospital legal billets are where JAGs go to die.)

There's also some limited pro bono stuff, but you pretty much have to be completely broke, or have a case that's worth publicity for them to be interested unless you get a referral through a state bar or some other org with people with money who feel like doing some heart warming.

Hope this helps.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 17, 2014

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

So this came up in discussion...
If a person still serving in the Guard/Reserves up and went to fight ISIS with like Kurds or some poo poo, what would the reprecussions be?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Wouldn't that be treason?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

What are the prerequisites to make someone an adult dependent?

I am headed back to Japan for another tour.

Mother in law is getting ready to retire and I'd like to bring her with us if possible.

I am told the only way that she can stay with us longer than 90 days at a time, is if she were a dependent.

If she retires, she would be dependent upon my income for food and shelter.

I am cool with her not necessarily being eligible for TRICARE benefits if there were another way for us to being her to Japan where she could live on base.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

zombie303 posted:

That's what I said, but someone else made the point that they aren't a uniformed service or other state's military.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wouldn't fall under UCMJ if they aren't activated on title 10. State and Federal laws would probably apply.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Wouldn't fall under UCMJ if they aren't activated on title 10. State and Federal laws would probably apply.

You still fall under UCMJ, even if not Title 10, or so I thought.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

zombie303 posted:

if he was fighting *against* ISIS probably not treason. However, I imagine it would be similar to issues where people have joined either the FFL or the IDF. DONCAF (or whoever) will probably revoke your security clearance and then, having revoked your clearance, DoD will probably push to separate you under one of the "Best Interests of the Service" catchalls. (This is just spitballing, though)

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

ActusRhesus posted:

if he was fighting *against* ISIS probably not treason. However, I imagine it would be similar to issues where people have joined either the FFL or the IDF. DONCAF (or whoever) will probably revoke your security clearance and then, having revoked your clearance, DoD will probably push to separate you under one of the "Best Interests of the Service" catchalls. (This is just spitballing, though)

Ah. I missed the "against" part. Thought he said joined Isis. The Kurds are cool peeps.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

You still fall under UCMJ, even if not Title 10, or so I thought.

you don't fall under UCMJ unless you are activated at the time of the crime. However, you can be involuntarily recalled to active duty to be court-martialed for a crime committed during a previous activation period.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hekk posted:

What are the prerequisites to make someone an adult dependent?

I am headed back to Japan for another tour.

Mother in law is getting ready to retire and I'd like to bring her with us if possible.

I am told the only way that she can stay with us longer than 90 days at a time, is if she were a dependent.

If she retires, she would be dependent upon my income for food and shelter.

I am cool with her not necessarily being eligible for TRICARE benefits if there were another way for us to being her to Japan where she could live on base.

Pretty easy to apply, but up to DFAS to approve. This website explains it pretty well. Did this for nieces/nephews of servicemembers when the biological parent was incarcerated a lot.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/payentitlements/secondarydependency.html

You'd probably need to wait for her to actually retire though.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Just noticed this thread. You must really miss doing Legal Assistance. God's work here, Actus Rhesus. God's work.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Defleshed posted:

Just noticed this thread. You must really miss doing Legal Assistance. God's work here, Actus Rhesus. God's work.

Legal assistance was my personal vision of hell. But I like goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Since this turned into the kinda unofficial PEB thread-
Have any Goons gone through the process with a VA rating at the start of the MEB/PEB process? Did your VA rating change by the end?

• Locked thread