Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Smoke dat poo poo Greeny

I smoked an ounce a week for the first month and a half or so I was back. My tolerance is so loving high that I'm taking February off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Cole posted:

Smoke dat poo poo Greeny

I smoked an ounce a week for the first month and a half or so I was back. My tolerance is so loving high that I'm taking February off.

An ounce a week is insane. I feel pretty lovely for a variety of reasons at my ~.25 oz a week habbit, I'm cutting back to weekends and after 6pm only starting in March or April.

It's not booze and won't likely kill you as easily, but it sure can form a habit and a tolerance as you clearly discovered.

Good on you for taking a break. Hacking up weird poo poo from your lungs yet or cough so much your ribs hurt for days yet?

If not? Give it time.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

An ounce a week is insane. I feel pretty lovely for a variety of reasons at my ~.25 oz a week habbit, I'm cutting back to weekends and after 6pm only starting in March or April.

It's not booze and won't likely kill you as easily, but it sure can form a habit and a tolerance as you clearly discovered.

Good on you for taking a break. Hacking up weird poo poo from your lungs yet or cough so much your ribs hurt for days yet?

If not? Give it time.

After the ounce a week I slowed down to about an ounce a month, a quarter a week at most. When I got out I didn't have any pieces so I was rolling blunts and smoking 3-4 blunts a day. When I got my bong and started doing oils I cut back a lot.

Doing oils was a bad idea though because that causes your tolerance to skyrocket even more. It got to the point where blunts didn't do much for me at all. Since moving to Virginia I've smoked only on weekends with a few weekdays sprinkled in here and there. But I still need to give it up for a while so I can reset and get stoned off of like an eighth a week.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
used to be a time i'd go through 2-4oz a day with a few friends as a dumb rear end teenager. not like every day, but at least twice a month we'd do that, usually by blazing many 1/4oz blunts.
now i'm old and boring, so if i smoke, it's a small amount while watching tv in bed ready to pass out.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Jesus gently caress that's a lot of weed.

Best thing about WA state legalizing it, I can walk into a store and ask for something to help put me to sleep and they'll pick out exactly what I need.

It'd be cheaper to buy it under the table, but I'm really lazy and my local store is nice :)

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Painsaw posted:

Jesus gently caress that's a lot of weed.

Best thing about WA state legalizing it, I can walk into a store and ask for something to help put me to sleep and they'll pick out exactly what I need.

It'd be cheaper to buy it under the table, but I'm really lazy and my local store is nice :)

the prices in colorado are about half of what i was paying in tampa, and tampa is where i was getting it the cheapest in my life.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Cole posted:

the prices in colorado are about half of what i was paying in tampa, and tampa is where i was getting it the cheapest in my life.

Washington's tax structure isn't lending well to this yet. Quality poo poo runs about $600/oz from most stores. Buying it more traditionally you can get the good stuff for about a quarter of that cost. Store prices are coming down pretty quick, though. Or at least so I hear, I don't smoke.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Funniest criminal i ever prosecuted was a SSG with 20+ years. He gets stopped by MPs on fort hood. He's drunk, does the mental math, decides to run. Drives on parade field, high speed chase. Ends up off post, tries to make a high speed turn, power steering belt snaps, he drives straight into western sizzler. It's one a.m., so it's empty. Police surround the restaurant then enter around 10 minutes later. He's sitting in a booth, smoking, tells first cop thru the door, "I'd like to report my truck was stolen."

We had a guy steal a fuel truck, desert with it and drive it from fort hood to Seattle with the plan of converting it to a fire truck and running a private fire company. He wore his marine fatigues (he'd previously been a jarhead) while driving (it got him out of tolls), and when he "got stressed" would fire his pistol out the window while driving. One thing you learn quick about deserters, they all go to mom's house.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

torgeaux posted:

We had a guy steal a fuel truck, desert with it and drive it from fort hood to Seattle with the plan of converting it to a fire truck and running a private fire company.

What?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

1. empty fuel from tank
2. fill empty tank with water
3. add hose
4. profit!!!!11

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the private fire truck confused me more than the conversion idea.

the conversion spewing out fuel laced water just seemed like a bonus.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Oxyclean

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

And now you know why he was the example for our motto at 1st Cav trial counsel's office, "we don't catch the smart ones."

So many troops that steal a roommates checkbook and empty the account. Each check is like a separate confession. Did they think the roommate would look at the canceled check and think, "I don't remember writing him $300 in checks, but I must be mistaken?"

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

torgeaux posted:

And now you know why he was the example for our motto at 1st Cav trial counsel's office, "we don't catch the smart ones."

So many troops that steal a roommates checkbook and empty the account. Each check is like a separate confession. Did they think the roommate would look at the canceled check and think, "I don't remember writing him $300 in checks, but I must be mistaken?"

That's why you write them out to cash. Duh.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ActusRhesus posted:

That's why you write them out to cash. Duh.

But then you need their ID, too. Of course, since they wrote their pin on the paper sleeve their ATM card came on, that was usually the way to go. . . but for the ATM cameras..

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

torgeaux posted:

But then you need their ID, too. Of course, since they wrote their pin on the paper sleeve their ATM card came on, that was usually the way to go. . . but for the ATM cameras..

There's always shady places that will cash checks with no ID for a fee.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey actus. Cross posting more divorce fun from the a/t legal thread...

nwin posted:

Alright so divorce is looking inevitable-a few questions.

I'm active duty military, 9 years in, been married 7.5
No kids

I know I'll pay alimony, just not sure how much since all the calculators are different.

It's amicable, so a no-fault divorce or uncontested.

We are stationed in mass, my home of record is Arizona and that's where I have my cars registered, pay taxes, drivers license.

She just got a mass drivers license so that makes her a resident of mass, right? She was born in North Carolina.

I called up some lawyer in Arizona and told her my story and she said to file in mass, but I'm not sure how I can have jurisdiction here since I'm only PCS here and my wife is a resident (though I did read only one of us has to be a resident to file, but maybe I'm a resident due to being stationed here?)

Looking online, usually in divorce, insurance will continue to cover my wife. However, looking at Tricare (military insurance) it seems that's only the case if we follow the 20-20-20 rule. So she's screwed out of that I think.

I've got a meeting with military legal tomorrow and they said they will only give some advice, are willing to look over forms, and provide referrals, which is fine.

Here's the questions:

1) since it's no fault, is there any possibility of using some online forms to reduce the costs and maybe just do It ourselves? I've heard good and bad things about them. Any recommendation?

2) if we need to lawyer up, that means one lawyer for each of us...how much can each of us expect to spend? I know this is subject to a ton of stuff, but looking at some estimates would be great.

Thanks

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

nwin posted:

Hey actus. Cross posting more divorce fun from the a/t legal thread...

1. Get a lawyer. always get a lawyer. Specifically to make sure you don't have to fork over 50% of your retired pay, if you retire. Instead, you want to argue for 50% of 7.5/20 of a retirement valued at your current rank.

2. You will both need your own lawyers. The same lawyer can't represent you both.

3. Family law rates vary from set fees for filing simple matters to hourly rates. Anyone charging over $200/hour is ripping you off.

4. Call the local bar and see if they have a military and veteran's law section. If they do, sometimes they have lawyers that will take military cases on a pro bono or discounted rate.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Am I the only one who thinks Sterling Archer looks a lot like the main dude on JAG?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Crossposting from the Navy thread. Yeah overseas Civilian Action Forums and being under a microscope!

Okay, so my kid beat up a little racist kid at school. His folks went to security (not mad - i would have too.) We got called in by CID for his pre-CAF interview where they mirandized him (like, no poo poo, same words) and had him initial each line item. (Standard Navy.) He's a teenager. In 8th grade. But when they said "lawyer," I said "Yup, that." Because last time we went to CAF, a bunch of punk kids used him as a scapegoat and I aint haven' that again. Only problem is that I can't find a lawyer. Because we're on base. And all of the legal beagles say "We don't do CAF hearings, that's not a legal thing." But CID said "You have the right to an attorney and if you cannot afford one, one will be appointed to you." This is not CA, I can't look in the phone book for Saul.

So my question is, now what? Did they gently caress up? They've been really quiet, and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I don't have time to wait for this BS. My kid got his 10 day suspension (the other kid was fine, BTW, just got his pride hurt and probably won't use the N-word again) and we made him write a paper and do a PPT. Do I just keep waiting for a lawyer to be appointed? Or should I just say gently caress it and let him talk? (This seems like a terrible idea to me. Kid had it coming to him and lots of other parents have messaged me and told me so but that doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean my son won't say as much.)

For reference; the other kid is White, and about 4'10". My kid is half white/half hispanic and 5'10" 210.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They said you have a right to an attorney and that one will be appointed to you. They specifically told you that if you want one, they'll get one for you. Make them do it. It doesn't matter how difficult it is for them, stick to your guns and tell them to pound sand until they do exactly what they said they were going to do.

Granted, IANAL, but that seems like the appropriate course of action.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

poopkitty posted:

Crossposting from the Navy thread. Yeah overseas Civilian Action Forums and being under a microscope!

Okay, so my kid beat up a little racist kid at school. His folks went to security (not mad - i would have too.) We got called in by CID for his pre-CAF interview where they mirandized him (like, no poo poo, same words) and had him initial each line item. (Standard Navy.) He's a teenager. In 8th grade. But when they said "lawyer," I said "Yup, that." Because last time we went to CAF, a bunch of punk kids used him as a scapegoat and I aint haven' that again. Only problem is that I can't find a lawyer. Because we're on base. And all of the legal beagles say "We don't do CAF hearings, that's not a legal thing." But CID said "You have the right to an attorney and if you cannot afford one, one will be appointed to you." This is not CA, I can't look in the phone book for Saul.

So my question is, now what? Did they gently caress up? They've been really quiet, and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I don't have time to wait for this BS. My kid got his 10 day suspension (the other kid was fine, BTW, just got his pride hurt and probably won't use the N-word again) and we made him write a paper and do a PPT. Do I just keep waiting for a lawyer to be appointed? Or should I just say gently caress it and let him talk? (This seems like a terrible idea to me. Kid had it coming to him and lots of other parents have messaged me and told me so but that doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean my son won't say as much.)

For reference; the other kid is White, and about 4'10". My kid is half white/half hispanic and 5'10" 210.
Don't assume he qualifies for an appointed attorney. Ask legal assistance for advice on local attorneys and if there is a process for appointing one if you qualify. I don't see a scenario where making a statement helps your son, given your description of events. I am unfamiliar with CAF hearings, so you should seek assistance from someone familiar with them.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

poopkitty posted:

OK, I am having a very hard time finding a non CAC access only link for the CAF instruction. I'm going to PM you my e-mail address. Scan and send me any paperwork you have on this (like what he initialed etc.) You can redact out the PII if that makes you more comfortable.

The CID tool is probably wrong (Yokosuka CID being knuckledragging fucktards? call me shocked) CAF is a civil/administrative thing so you wouldn't necessarily have the same right to counsel as in a criminal, (also, IIRC, you are senior enlisted which means financially you wouldn't qualify for appointed counsel. Really just...gah. So much of what CID did here is just procedurally incorrect.) but there may be a regulation that allows for it. That's what I'm looking for and am having trouble linking. If you can ask your command for a copy of the reg that would be a big help. Meanwhile, I know people. With your permission, I'll put out some feelers.

Base legal is not going to cover this. They are pretty much worthless anyway. You'd get a JG who's been a lawyer for 5 minutes.

Also, you mentioned in other thread that other parents contacted you saying the kid had it coming? Print out any of those e-mails, and if you can get a parent or two to write a statement (especially a black parent) start gathering those. And have your son sit down and write up a timeline of any prior issues he's had with this kid (both personally and observed) and especially note if there was a DoD adult present and if they did anything. If you can build a case for "the DoD school created a permissive environment of racism and bullying" you may have some leverage. I wouldn't make any overt threats, but there are ways to present your case in such a way that the implication is "Do you really want me telling stars and stripes how your base school is a hotbed of racism, but the kid who stands up to bullies is the one getting kicked off base?"

Worst case scenario is debarment...which is a big deal because your kid would be sent back CONUS while you have to finish your tour. It's rare they would do that. If it gets to that point I can make some referrals for excellent attorneys who handle this sort of thing. The one who helped me give a giant middle finger to a 3 star would be my recommendation. check your inbox for e-mail

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ActusRhesus posted:

Worst case scenario is debarment...which is a big deal because your kid would be sent back CONUS while you have to finish your tour. It's rare they would do that. If it gets to that point I can make some referrals for excellent attorneys who handle this sort of thing. The one who helped me give a giant middle finger to a 3 star would be my recommendation. check your inbox for e-mail

This is literally the one thing that I am afraid of. Community service would suck, but he hosed up, so it's whatever. I asked for the CAF instruction, because it seems to be CFAY specific and I'm in that odd grey area where we're a tenant command but do not work FOR CFAY, we're PACFLEET. The nice folks over at Legal (not Legal Assistance, but RLSO over by HRO) told me that it's a controlled instruction and I was not authorized access to it. Wut?

The command does have their own legal counsel on the payroll, and I have been authorized by the CO to consult with him, is there anything I can ask him to do for me? I was pretty much hoping that in mirandizing him, CID hosed up. Is there anything our lawyer can do to help me push that? Also, they did not authorize me to have ANY paperwork. None. I tried to take a picture of the initialed form and the investigator snatched it and said no. Also, to further complicate matters, I am not my child's sponsor. (Again, gently caress overseas.) Dad is his sponsor and is deployed currently. The ship's CO/CMC and my CO/CMC have a good relationship and I have been assured that they have nothing either.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

poopkitty posted:

This is literally the one thing that I am afraid of. Community service would suck, but he hosed up, so it's whatever. I asked for the CAF instruction, because it seems to be CFAY specific and I'm in that odd grey area where we're a tenant command but do not work FOR CFAY, we're PACFLEET. The nice folks over at Legal (not Legal Assistance, but RLSO over by HRO) told me that it's a controlled instruction and I was not authorized access to it. Wut?

The command does have their own legal counsel on the payroll, and I have been authorized by the CO to consult with him, is there anything I can ask him to do for me? I was pretty much hoping that in mirandizing him, CID hosed up. Is there anything our lawyer can do to help me push that? Also, they did not authorize me to have ANY paperwork. None. I tried to take a picture of the initialed form and the investigator snatched it and said no. Also, to further complicate matters, I am not my child's sponsor. (Again, gently caress overseas.) Dad is his sponsor and is deployed currently. The ship's CO/CMC and my CO/CMC have a good relationship and I have been assured that they have nothing either.

ugh. so much of this sounds hosed up beyond repair. the fact they won't give you a copy of the instruction is extremely problematic. There's this thing called "due process" even in administrative proceedings...

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ActusRhesus posted:

ugh. so much of this sounds hosed up beyond repair. the fact they won't give you a copy of the instruction is extremely problematic. There's this thing called "due process" even in administrative proceedings...

Just got the notification for the CAF hearing, it's on Tuesday. The email came from my LEGALO (some poor schmuck LT who got stuck with the collateral.) He's new, and still helpful and motivated, so I told him that prior to the hearing I would like copies of the paperwork that my kid initialed and the CAF instruction and he said he's be happy to make that happen. Now we wait, again.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Your kid should get a medal.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
This might be the best thread for these questions:

I just decided to check out my records on Marine Online (MOL) for god knows why. I had questions about my med sep code before, but my Corpsman never really answered them Maybe you guys can.

I was separated with a code of JFW1: FAILED MEDICAL/PHYSICAL PROCUREMENT STANDARDS. What does that mean exactly? I just want to make sure it's not something lovely or dumb or otherwise inaccurate.

Interestingly I was free of IRR last month (Feb 8). Go me!

My Basic Training Record shows I had a Security Background Check done and have an eligibility for Secret clearance. Since I did not have a job requiring a security clearance, would I be correct to assume this means I had a background check done but probably never actually had a secret clearance? Would a future employer requiring a security clearance need to do a new investigation (assuming secret clearance was adequate)?

Last thing: I may have gotten hosed on getting promoted to Sgt in the IRR because my composite score not being computed because my PFT score contained zeroes. Is this normal for someone med sep'd? I think I did miss my last PFT due to being broke, but shouldn't it have used my last PFT score?

Dumb Marine out.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

dude, this probably is the worst thread for those questions.

If you did miss your last PFT, then you failed it, and your discharge code would be correct, especially if you stated that you were medical seperated.
clearance question: renewing clearance level always involves some level of background check.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

USMC503 posted:

This might be the best thread for these questions:

I just decided to check out my records on Marine Online (MOL) for god knows why. I had questions about my med sep code before, but my Corpsman never really answered them Maybe you guys can.

I was separated with a code of JFW1: FAILED MEDICAL/PHYSICAL PROCUREMENT STANDARDS. What does that mean exactly? I just want to make sure it's not something lovely or dumb or otherwise inaccurate.

Interestingly I was free of IRR last month (Feb 8). Go me!

My Basic Training Record shows I had a Security Background Check done and have an eligibility for Secret clearance. Since I did not have a job requiring a security clearance, would I be correct to assume this means I had a background check done but probably never actually had a secret clearance? Would a future employer requiring a security clearance need to do a new investigation (assuming secret clearance was adequate)?

Last thing: I may have gotten hosed on getting promoted to Sgt in the IRR because my composite score not being computed because my PFT score contained zeroes. Is this normal for someone med sep'd? I think I did miss my last PFT due to being broke, but shouldn't it have used my last PFT score?

Dumb Marine out.

Gonna skip all the discharge stuff. No, you do not have a secret clearance, and if an employer needs you to have one, they'll basically be starting over.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

1. Discharge code seems accurate.

2. you can state that you were "adjudicated for a Secret Clearance" what that means is that you passed the background check (assuming you did) but were never issued the actual clearance. However, unless your employer specifically needs a DoD clearance, you'd need another investigation anyway. Example: I had a DoD TS/SCI. I got a job WITH A DIFFERENT BRANCH OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT that only needed a "confidential." Still had to have a new background check because DoJ gives zero fucks about DoD clearances and vice versa.

3. lol your username.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

1. Discharge code seems accurate.

2. you can state that you were "adjudicated for a Secret Clearance" what that means is that you passed the background check (assuming you did) but were never issued the actual clearance. However, unless your employer specifically needs a DoD clearance, you'd need another investigation anyway. Example: I had a DoD TS/SCI. I got a job WITH A DIFFERENT BRANCH OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT that only needed a "confidential." Still had to have a new background check because DoJ gives zero fucks about DoD clearances and vice versa.

3. lol your username.

lol your avatar and megathread

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

anne frank fanfic posted:

lol your avatar and megathread

lol your face.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I posed this question in the Ask About Joining the Military thread and got directed here. It seems like this is a legal advice thread so please don't hesitate to let me know if this is inappropriate.

I was scheduled to be deployed by the Peace Corps in a few months when the PC understandably withdrew all operations from the host country I was to go to, sending me back into the lineup for another 9-12 months. As a result I'll be meeting with a Navy officer recruiter next week and was wondering if someone could give me some idea of what financial incentives, if any, I could get or negotiate for toward law/graduate school at a later date. I've been flirting with the idea of JAG but the guys in the other thread made it pretty clear that would be a long shot considering my qualifications. I wouldn't be against working my rear end off for 2 or 3 years and then requesting a transfer if it was at all a realistic goal.

I'm a college graduate, Criminal Justice major, 3.2 GPA, 4 years of college swimming (probably would get a 300 PT) and internships at a couple of the best District Attorney's offices in my state.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

speshl guy posted:

I posed this question in the Ask About Joining the Military thread and got directed here. It seems like this is a legal advice thread so please don't hesitate to let me know if this is inappropriate.

I was scheduled to be deployed by the Peace Corps in a few months when the PC understandably withdrew all operations from the host country I was to go to, sending me back into the lineup for another 9-12 months. As a result I'll be meeting with a Navy officer recruiter next week and was wondering if someone could give me some idea of what financial incentives, if any, I could get or negotiate for toward law/graduate school at a later date. I've been flirting with the idea of JAG but the guys in the other thread made it pretty clear that would be a long shot considering my qualifications. I wouldn't be against working my rear end off for 2 or 3 years and then requesting a transfer if it was at all a realistic goal.

I'm a college graduate, Criminal Justice major, 3.2 GPA, 4 years of college swimming (probably would get a 300 PT) and internships at a couple of the best District Attorney's offices in my state.

why did they tell you JAG would be a longshot?

and don't go JAG. JAG is awful.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

and don't go in the military. military is awful.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

VA benefits question(also from that thread, but is more law focused):

Using my VA loan benefits to buy a condo in Hawaii. The seller wants us to agree to pay the difference between appraisal and purchase price, if any. From what I'm reading in the VA Escape Clause, it takes precedence over other agreements in the contract, meaning if we didn't want to(we'll pay a certain difference, but too much will clean us out) the law means that we can't be forced to sacrifice any money, correct? Even if I agree to pay the difference?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Harmburger posted:

VA benefits question(also from that thread, but is more law focused):

Using my VA loan benefits to buy a condo in Hawaii. The seller wants us to agree to pay the difference between appraisal and purchase price, if any. From what I'm reading in the VA Escape Clause, it takes precedence over other agreements in the contract, meaning if we didn't want to(we'll pay a certain difference, but too much will clean us out) the law means that we can't be forced to sacrifice any money, correct? Even if I agree to pay the difference?

No. What that means is generally once you enter into a real estate contract you are bound. this allows you to back out of a contract if the VA assessment comes back and leaves you hosed. If you agree to it, you are stuck with it. It's basically giving you an option to back out of the contract before the sale is final...not giving you a "ha ha, gently caress your contract" trump card.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Got a question about moving and security deposits.

I recently moved out of an apartment and got hit with an 800$ deduction from my security deposit. The invoice listed 7 hours of cleaning at 45$/hr, 3 hours of painting at 45/hr, the replacement of wood under the sink drain that had been damaged by the drain being installed incorrectly, and some other minor stuff.

I've gotten quotes from cleaning services in the area for an apartment my size and they're about half of what was charged. The need for painting arose from two scuff marks on the wall, one of which I believe was caused by movers hired by the apartment complex to install a new clothes washer.

I don't have any photos of the property before I moved in, or a copy of my check-in sheet. They're claiming that they don't have a copy of my check-in sheet either. About 2 weeks after I moved in there was a change in property management so the people I am talking to now were not working there when I moved in.

How hosed am I if I try to take this to small claims court and recoup some of my deposit? They sent me photos of the "damage" I had caused to the apartment and the idea that it amounts to 800$ worth seems ridiculous to me, particularly combined with the notion of normal wear and tear. It was by no means pristine when I left, but the apartment was completely cleared of all trash and debris. I also wiped down all the vertical surfaces.

I live in Boulder, CO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah man you're kind of hosed, sorry. Did they provide you with actual receipts for any of that work? or is it just estimates

When you rent a place they're always going to get you for something, especially painting the walls. They might prorate it depending on how long you've been there.

• Locked thread