Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Hey, as a member of the National Guard, was I supposed to get BAH while in basic training if I had an apartment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

McNally posted:

Hey, as a member of the National Guard, was I supposed to get BAH while in basic training if I had an apartment?

Were you married?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah man you're kind of hosed, sorry. Did they provide you with actual receipts for any of that work? or is it just estimates

When you rent a place they're always going to get you for something, especially painting the walls. They might prorate it depending on how long you've been there.

I know they'll try to charge for bullshit but 800$ for the condition I left the apartment seems extreme. I've gotten quotes from a couple different cleaning services stating that they would clean an apartment that size to prep it for move-out for under 150$. Worst case scenario I'm gonna die on the hill of small claims court, but I'm hoping that the threat of action will get me some type of monetary concession. The fact that the rental company justified some of its actions by quoting a portion of lease that is different from my own leads me to believe I have a leg to stand on.

Also they said that the billings for cleaning and painting, which comes out to 500$ or so, were part of a larger general invoice and they don't have specifics for my apartment. Again I think this means I have a chance to plead my case, particularly relative to the photos that they have presented as justification. Soap scum and two wall scrapes don't amount to 500$ worth of building maintenance in my mind. With any luck I'll get a small claims judge who agrees.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Got a question about moving and security deposits.

I recently moved out of an apartment and got hit with an 800$ deduction from my security deposit. The invoice listed 7 hours of cleaning at 45$/hr, 3 hours of painting at 45/hr, the replacement of wood under the sink drain that had been damaged by the drain being installed incorrectly, and some other minor stuff.

I've gotten quotes from cleaning services in the area for an apartment my size and they're about half of what was charged. The need for painting arose from two scuff marks on the wall, one of which I believe was caused by movers hired by the apartment complex to install a new clothes washer.

I don't have any photos of the property before I moved in, or a copy of my check-in sheet. They're claiming that they don't have a copy of my check-in sheet either. About 2 weeks after I moved in there was a change in property management so the people I am talking to now were not working there when I moved in.

How hosed am I if I try to take this to small claims court and recoup some of my deposit? They sent me photos of the "damage" I had caused to the apartment and the idea that it amounts to 800$ worth seems ridiculous to me, particularly combined with the notion of normal wear and tear. It was by no means pristine when I left, but the apartment was completely cleared of all trash and debris. I also wiped down all the vertical surfaces.

I live in Boulder, CO.

File the suit in small claims court or at the very least get a lawyer to send them a letter of intent to sue. Most likely they will back off and return your deposit to avoid having to go to court.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Carteret posted:

Were you married?

No.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Well, there you go. No BAH.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Got a question about moving and security deposits.

I recently moved out of an apartment and got hit with an 800$ deduction from my security deposit. The invoice listed 7 hours of cleaning at 45$/hr, 3 hours of painting at 45/hr, the replacement of wood under the sink drain that had been damaged by the drain being installed incorrectly, and some other minor stuff.

I've gotten quotes from cleaning services in the area for an apartment my size and they're about half of what was charged. The need for painting arose from two scuff marks on the wall, one of which I believe was caused by movers hired by the apartment complex to install a new clothes washer.

I don't have any photos of the property before I moved in, or a copy of my check-in sheet. They're claiming that they don't have a copy of my check-in sheet either. About 2 weeks after I moved in there was a change in property management so the people I am talking to now were not working there when I moved in.

How hosed am I if I try to take this to small claims court and recoup some of my deposit? They sent me photos of the "damage" I had caused to the apartment and the idea that it amounts to 800$ worth seems ridiculous to me, particularly combined with the notion of normal wear and tear. It was by no means pristine when I left, but the apartment was completely cleared of all trash and debris. I also wiped down all the vertical surfaces.

I live in Boulder, CO.

http://www.coloradolegalservices.org/lawhelp/resource/information-for-renters-security-deposits?ref=sh0Qn

1. 7 hours of cleaning seems excessive. I have a 2500 sq. ft. home, 4 bed, 3 bath and my cleaning lady is done in 3 tops.
2. Painting is part of routine wear and tear unless there was serious poo poo that needed to be covered
3. Wood replacement: Did you install the sink? If you didn't that's not your problem.

Send a 7 day demand letter, and then sue in small claims. I had to do this for a landlord...got back everything less $100 for cleaning.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ActusRhesus posted:

http://www.coloradolegalservices.org/lawhelp/resource/information-for-renters-security-deposits?ref=sh0Qn

1. 7 hours of cleaning seems excessive. I have a 2500 sq. ft. home, 4 bed, 3 bath and my cleaning lady is done in 3 tops.
2. Painting is part of routine wear and tear unless there was serious poo poo that needed to be covered
3. Wood replacement: Did you install the sink? If you didn't that's not your problem.

Send a 7 day demand letter, and then sue in small claims. I had to do this for a landlord...got back everything less $100 for cleaning.

Done. Waiting for their reply or for them to cut a check.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure http://girightshotline.org/ exists to give service members just enough crummy advice to dig themselves into a deeper hole.

gitfayce
Sep 25, 2008
I apologize if this is the wrong thread, but it seems somewhat related. My Date of Separation is listed as 28 JAN 2018, and my High Year of Tenure is listed as 23 FEB 2018. If I happen to not make rank by the end of my enlistment, will I get separation pay even though the HYOT is past my DOS?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Is there a way to get records of a CO's mast from 20 years ago? I'm retiring in a few months and gathering all of my records and having the proof of reporting my sexual assault would be helpful. How long are CO's mast records required to be held for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Please refer to new thread on this subject:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750679

V/R
Nostalgia4Infinity

• Locked thread