Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Has Mettenberger's agent followed up on his trade demand threat? What would the market be for him, he was adequate for a rookie starter on a bad team, but if he's essentially saying "give me at minimum a starting job opportunity" that must knock a bunch of teams out of the running no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Really? I'm just unsure about his hands. If you're going to take a raw high upside dude at least make sure he can catch.

You can teach him to catch, but you can't teach speed. :rice:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kalensc posted:

Has Mettenberger's agent followed up on his trade demand threat? What would the market be for him, he was adequate for a rookie starter on a bad team, but if he's essentially saying "give me at minimum a starting job opportunity" that must knock a bunch of teams out of the running no?

The trade request never happened

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Raiders need a DE/pass rusher and RG badly. CB/FS lesser need. Lots of option with the third pick or they could trade down.

DEs Preston Smith, Owa, Trey Flowers
RGs Donovan Smith, AJ Cann, Ali Marpet

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I'd like Duke Johnson too

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Chichevache posted:

You can teach him to catch, but you can't teach speed. :rice:

Has any team, ever, actually taught a player to catch?

Seriously asking.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Metapod posted:

The trade request never happened

Oh, how dull. At least Zac Stacy is making things happen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Seriously asking.

Jim Harbaugh fixed Carlos Rodgers for a minute.

Edit
I don't have any serious answers, but if you find one let me know so I can send Kearse there.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Really? I'm just unsure about his hands. If you're going to take a raw high upside dude at least make sure he can catch.

His hands are inconsistent due to his tendency to make body catches, it's not objectively terrible or anything. To me, his biggest weakness is probably his route running, and that's one of the easier things to coach. The thing about raw speed is that we didn't have it. Some people disagree with letting Smith and Jones go, I like them a lot, but they weren't worth what they were asking. We had no one to draw doubles on three deep zones, provide a 15 yard cushion on man to man, draw a big fat PI, or keep seven in the box, things that makes our other offensive skill pieces look good. At the very least, Perriman can do that. He's basically the prospect T. Smith was but literally better in every aspect, from speed to yes, even catching. Which comes to...

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Seriously asking.

Jones couldn't catch a cold with the Texans and T. Smith had similar body catching mechanics and while never becoming amazing or anything they definitely improved in this area in Baltimore. Has anyone ever taken a speedster and turned him into a possession guy? Probably not, but why would you want to? You don't pick a speedster RB and intend to turn him into a goal line back. Let him play to his strengths, rely on the team around him having strengths that counter his weakness. Perriman will open up S. Smith, and vice versa.

E: I liked Strong too,I think he'll be good. Baltimore with Smith and Strong would've been extremely one dimensional, we'd be seeing one or two deep zones all day as they loaded up on short and intermediate routes. The line would be more crowded for our run game. Predictability reduces effectiveness.

E2: Also, gently caress ya Maxx Williams. Forsett-S. Smith-Perriman-Pitta-Williams is a scary team.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 2, 2015

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You're certainly not wrong about the Ravens needing speed but I was hoping that facet could be addressed later with a guy like Lockett or Diggs. Perriman is a lot like Torrey but better. Torrey was a huge gamble that was only a good pick because he came in the late second. The major attribute separating them is that Perriman consistently attacks the ball while Smith struggled with a lack of aggressiveness even as a 4th year pro. poo poo, Smith failing to high point pretty much ended our season. Perriman could end up being good but I don't see the potential to be a true #1 WR with such rounded routes and inconsistent hands. I think Strong has that potential.

To my mind the major fault in the Ravens offense last year was unreliable pass catchers killing drives with drops and yes I'm including Steve Smith in that. Perriman doesn't address that issue but Maxx Williams does. I do feel better about our receiving prospects knowing that Williams, Aiken, and maybe even Pitta will be there as reliable 3rd down targets.

Perriman is definitely going to be fun to watch and I'm glad the Ravens are finally trying to get weapons for Joe.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
draft vince mayle and Our Lord of Gunslinging Connor "in a losing effort" Halliday today, thank you and God Bless.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You're certainly not wrong about the Ravens needing speed but I was hoping that facet could be addressed later with a guy like Lockett or Diggs. Perriman is a lot like Torrey but better. Torrey was a huge gamble that was only a good pick because he came in the late second. The major attribute separating them is that Perriman consistently attacks the ball while Smith struggled with a lack of aggressiveness even as a 4th year pro. poo poo, Smith failing to high point pretty much ended our season. Perriman could end up being good but I don't see the potential to be a true #1 WR with such rounded routes and inconsistent hands. I think Strong has that potential.

To my mind the major fault in the Ravens offense last year was unreliable pass catchers killing drives with drops and yes I'm including Steve Smith in that. Perriman doesn't address that issue but Maxx Williams does. I do feel better about our receiving prospects knowing that Williams, Aiken, and maybe even Pitta will be there as reliable 3rd down targets.

Perriman is definitely going to be fun to watch and I'm glad the Ravens are finally trying to get weapons for Joe.

Agree with most of this, but I do think Perriman can be a true #1. If route running is the problem Strong runs an even worse one.

fwiw I think Perriman has a concentration problem more then a catching problem. His highlight reel is full of circus catches. He's over thinking it the simple stuff. The talent is definitely there.

Also keep in mind speedsters will have a higher drop rate then the short yardage guys just by how much more difficult it is to catch a ball at speed!

Can't wait to see Maxx work dat seam with Perriman pulling the over the top coverage!

E: p sure Perriman was projected to go around #12 so we got good value out of a falling player, not unlike one T. Smith =)

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 2, 2015

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think the 12 slot was just Mel Kiper's fevered imaginings. Most seem to think he deserved to go pretty near where we got him. I hope Perriman works out and it certainly could but I'm worried. At least I don't have to worry about Strong having an amazing season to be jealous of since he went to a QB graveyard.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Seriously asking.

It seems like if they haven't learned in basically 3 years of highly competitive play its not gonna happen

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Was Ifo Ekpre-Olomu the guy who got hurt and was a projected 1st rounder?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sataere posted:

Yeah

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sataere posted:

Then people said "Small cover corner? Who the gently caress wants those anymore?" and thus Ifo made 3 million dollars off an insurance policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
3 million tax free gahdamn

• Locked thread