Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lovie Smith with a shiny new rookie QB would be pretty funny.

Looking further down the draft, which Rutgers secondary members should I expect to see drafted in the 2nd-3rd rounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dexo posted:

Any Elite Linebackers or Safeties available in the 7-9 win range?

They'll probably be a few great linebackers around there, but safeties in the top half of the first round are fairly uncommon.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Groucho Marxist posted:

DGB probably has the best hands in this class.

But he's also one letter off from DHB and will likely plummet for it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You have to imagine if there's any kind of willing partner, the Raiders will be trying to trade down though. They've got their developmental QB and have the thinnest roster in the league by a lot. They just want picks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hope that dude does well, because he has a very stadium chantable name.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Groucho Marxist posted:

rutgers won 7 games

Well yeah, but they have a secondary full of NFL caliber players.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Patriots will probably draft an offensive lineman, so that's accurate at least.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Has anyone seen a decent projection of comp picks for this year?

Not from anyone I'd trust. But, you can make a few informed guesses.

1. If you cut a player or don't offer a contract to RFA's, you get nothing (So cutting Revis or Demarcus Ware gets the Buccaneers / Cowboys nothing)
2. You have to have the player for more then a year to qualify (So you can't sign a dude to a 1 year deal then let him walk and get a pick)
3. Each player signed cancels out one player lost of comparable value. (So the Patriots losing Brandon Spikes is cancelled out by signing Brandon Browner)
4. The pick you get is based on the average value of the contract signed.
5. Players earning near vet minimums are ignored.
6. You get a max of 4 comp picks. Ones not given out by the formula are just given to the worst teams in the 6th/7th rounds.

That said, it's expected the 3rd round comp picks to go to:

Patriots - Aqib Talib (6 / $57m)
Bills - Jairus Byrd (6 / $54m)
Chiefs - Brandon Albert (5 / $46m)
Bengals - Michael Johnson (5 / $43m)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He was a FA in 2012, so the Buccaneers traded him and a 7th for a 4th, then the Pats resigned him to a 1 year contract in 2013. Then the Broncos gave him that thing, though if like Peyton decides to retire or he tears every ligament in both knees, they can abort it into a 1 year $12m deal.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

To jump back to drafting a qb chat for a minute and play devil's advocate

Most of the currently worst teams all seem to have jumped on the QB in the first lately, while many of the better teams have built up the rest of the team in the draft then had a QB slip and fall on their dicks.

While on the playoff teams...
Patriots/Cowboys: Got lucky
Broncos: Built a team that lured Peyton
Seahawks/Bengals/Cardinals: Built a good team that carries a mediocre QB
Ravens/Packers/Steelers: Had a decent team that lucked out with the QB that fell to them.
Colts: Tanked and hit the lottery.
Lions/Panthers: Tanked and got a franchise QB

Nothing's guaranteed, but sure seems like teams that have built themselves up (or simply never really fell to the depths) have been able to succeed with a QB that eventually comes around while the Titans/Rams/Raiders/Jaguars/Washington/Jets all failed with highly drafted QB's that pretty much got them stuck in a morass of suck with bad rosters.

Falcons/Giants have decayed around good franchise QB's
Buccaneers bought high on a poor QB and previously kind of flailed around after trying what the Ravens/Packers/Steelers did and failing.
Bears traded for a franchise QB which has mostly failed.

Anyway, that's my rambling.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I expect the Pats to draft an interior offensive lineman or defensive lineman.

Doltos posted:

It's a defense mechanism. If you criticize a player too much but list him high people are going to wonder why he's listed high or they're going to defend the player like a homer.

Also, as many players probably fail due to where they end up as anything and a writeup of "this guy has all the skills you'd like to see in a prospect, but is probably going to an organization that doesn't have the players to compete so will fire their coach in two years, hire someone with vastly different ideas of what they want to do, and discard this guy to the trashbin of reclamation projects".

Or just shorthand that to a picture of Josh Freeman.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Are there many QB's didn't play all that much in college and worked out?

The only one I can think of is Matt Cassel who worked out reasonably well, but is there anyone else or who like switched positions or anything?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

I don't think you understand the whole quantity > quality aspect of it though MV

I mean who wouldn't trade Steve Young for 3 guys each worse then Steve Bono?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Steve Young carried around that Tampa baggage for forever.

He managed to extract more money from the USFL then anybody though, so good on him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DT makes a lot more sense then the WR guy they were slotted in the last one that was posted.

The Pats will probably go either interior offensive line or DT. Outside shot of CB or safety if they gently caress things up and have to replace Revis / McCourty.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NC-17 posted:

I feel pretty confident they will also draft at least one receiver in the first three rounds.

Maybe, but I think Amendola played his way into keeping his contract in the playoffs, which means he might just hope Tyms or Dobson develops. And hey, I could fall for that again.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Amendola was brought in to replace Welker. Edelman up until that point was the punt returner and little used receiver who ran routes a bit longer then Welker but didn't catch most of the passes thrown his way.

Then he spent 2013 developing into basically Wes, which is good, because wow was the Amendola signing awful until 2015 started.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So this is neat, an Eagles beatwriter went through Kiper's mocks and compiled who your team would've drafted in the first round if his first mock was 100% accurate:

I like that the Bengals ending up with both Dennard brothers. There's a bunch of other projected first guys that ended up collapsing far in the draft.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ozu posted:

Ricky Sapp, 1st round pick. Haha.

Yeah, lots of mess for the Patriots.

On the other hand, JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins....

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

I guess I can say that is because Oregon's D is trash so even his wobbly poo poo passes were still catchable as long as they were in the same ballpark.

He should be golden against 2/3rds of the NFC South then.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It sounds like utter insanity to me for the Browns to trade additional picks to move up to draft a QB this year, but what do I know. Though I can see why Pettine feels he needs one. He's almost certainly fired if the Browns stink this year, and well, they don't have a quarterback, so...

But the most likely scenario that results from a trade is they'll be bad anyway, so you trade a bunch of picks to get a QB who's probably not that great as a rookie even if they show promise and now, bam, he's got to learn a new scheme in his 2nd year.

E: That said, I do think if they can somehow ply Cutler or Bradford in a salary dump move for a later round pick, or should push hard to sign Hoyer or anyone they see as a potential upgrade from him, then sure.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 20, 2015

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I've always wanted a highly touted prospect to refuse to take the wonderlic / anything else involving handing the league personal information. They allow that poo poo to be leaked and have next to no protections in place for it. It'd make for a fascinating case at least.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, honestly, most of the best quarterbacks now are either old, unathletic or big loads. (Seriously, people tend to overlook that Roethlisberger has been awesome with a methodology of just being too fat to sack). Doesn't matter much as long as you can move in the pocket or throw a pass in under 2s to the guy freed up on a pick.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

b0ng posted:

Now running out of the pocket for a first is a completely different story.

Alternatively, you can be so slow and unathletic that nobody ever worries about contain, and that's when you STRIKE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lht-Ba-uyIw

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm cool with a DT, but a quick look at this Carl Davis guy on youtube isn't very inspiring.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

Quick question: When are comp picks announced?

During the league meeting in the middle of march.

E: March 22-25 this year most likely.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Reminder that the Patriots report on Johnny Manziel mentioned his 'outlaw blood' as a character concern.

Turned out it was right but yeah, scouts are going to write insane, contradictory things about everyone short of Andrew Luck.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Not particularly topical since it would never happen today (I think), but this is my favorite story about a draft screw up.

I love that article and it has one of the best anecdotes ever. That the Buccaneers used to charge players $40 if they won a gameball.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think there's something to be said for just drafting BPA, build a good team throughout the draft and just take a quarterback prospect that might have a glaring flaw that can be worked through. It works sometimes, with Wilson being the best example, but Dalton, Kaepernick, Orton and Schaub have all taken good supporting casts to the playoffs from the mid rounds

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAmh7hfaBM

Miss you Macho Man.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I imagine like with hand timing the 40, it comes down to that's how they always did it at the combine, so if they changed, then gosh, we wouldn't know how to evaluate players anymore!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Ah yes, the tape of Temple vs Bowling Green is going to yield a lot of important film.

As you can see in this video of Jake Long being owned repeatedly by Vernon Gholston....

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Raku posted:

smdh that's going pretty far just to avoid shaking a white man's hand

(do you guys think if we planted enough tweets we could get Skip Bayless on a reverse racism angle with this?)

Sorry, that angle has been smashed like a 70mph fastball already:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There is value to trading up to the tail end of the first round since you do get to lock those players up for an extra year, and if you have a guy you're bullish on, seems like a fine idea to me.

Just don't trade next year's 1 or your 2 + next year's 2 for it.

Just don't loving do that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Coldforge posted:

Well, there's still Darby.

You know, if you're going to have the friends and hanger ons that every player has, you really need one that stuffs you in the million dollar taxi.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Andrew Luck as a free agent would easily clear $30m a year if he wants.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Prove to me that Vince Wilfork isn't a fatsack incapable of committing all the way through a play. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF747Kqx1qg&t=23s

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Menamino posted:

Mike Mayock agrees with some dudes in this thread, puts Mariota ahead of Winston

Yeah, I have been kind of wondering why that stuff about Winston has been pretty glossed over, but I guess that happens when a team signals so clearly that he's the #1 pick.

Of course, I hate falling into the pick of: well, it's this guy or this guy, when both could just not be what you want in a franchise QB. I mean, there's really only been 3 of those guys to go #1 in the last decade of drafts.

Intruder posted:

I didn't know that existed so I just watched it and it was glorious. A couple things. One, it was 1200 lbs of buttforce, not 800, so 50% more butt than you remembered. It also didn't take into account that Brandon Moore was being pushed back into Sanchez, or at the very least stood up, so he was actually a less elastic buttsurface than DJ Jones was when acting rear end the buttdouble

Sportsscience is fantastically stupid. Having a dude with a police doorbuster compared to Ray Lewis's hitting force or a bunch of shirtless MMA guys try to punch the ball out of a running back's hands... poo poo, I really should get back to making context-less Sportscience gifs

Kalli fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 9, 2015

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shath Hole posted:

That bad, huh? Geez.

The Buccaneers have been in the top half of the league in points scored 4 times. Ever.

6th (2000), 13th (2012), 14th (1984), 15th (2001)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bill Barnwell wrote a pair of pieces on what each team is looking at going into the draft:

(Arizona-KC) http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-draft-wish-list-part-1/
(Miami-Washington) http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-draft-wish-list-part-2/

Tl;dr version:

Biggest need:

Quarterback:
Jets, Browns, Buccaneers, Titans

Wide Receiver
Ravens, Raiders, Eagles

Offensive Line
Bills (Really, it's QB, but they don't have draft picks to find one)
Panthers (tackle), Rams, Broncos, Seahawks (interior)

Defensive Line
Bears, Saints, Cowboys , Lions (Tackle), Chiefs (End)
Cardinals (pass rusher), Falcons (pass rusher)

Linebackers
Vikings (middle), Texans (inside)
Bengals (outside), Steelers (outside), Chargers (outside)

Cornerback:
49ers, Patriots, Packers, Jaguars

Safety
Giants, Washington, Colts

• Locked thread