Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Lowtax posted:

The point of having a movie version of the site is so people won't have to download an app, so thank you for pointing out there is an app, but it doesn't really add anything to this thread

Yes because downloading an app in this year of our lord 2014 is really a big ordeal thank you for tackling the big problems low tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
please make a Material Design Google Android App, thank you lowtax

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
Looking forward to trying it out on my tablet. The Awful app has been doing weird things recently, like if a page has a youtube link on it, it continuously reloads it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

causticBeet posted:

Yes because downloading an app in this year of our lord 2014 is really a big ordeal thank you for tackling the big problems low tax
Hey man some people might be using windows phones.

GBS Ambassador
Oct 31, 2013
I like the mobile layout, thanks Lowtax!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

hey lowtax my parents were eaten by sharks, thanks for taking their deaths and making a joke out of it

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Libelous Slander posted:

i'd just like to reiterate how much i thoroughly enjoyed galaxy quest.

like, i saw guardians of the galaxy this year, and thought that a tim allen movie was the better flick

This is a tough one for me, but after some careful consideration, I'm going to have to agree; quest edges out guardians.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

next time the database dies we'll all have to buy our avs again at 175x175 to pay for it because lowtax spent all the 150x150 money on this

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

can we get an edit to the op with a trigger warning for sharks? thanks

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Lowtax posted:

The point of having a movie version of the site is so people won't have to download an app, so thank you for pointing out there is an app, but it doesn't really add anything to this thread

You make me sad :(

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
YES, FINALLY! I keep on telling people that I'm getting the same exact bug as you, where the screen spans like 80% of the width, and nobody else can recreate it. Thank you for proving I'm not insane (on this issue)!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

causticBeet posted:

Man, some of you people are just assholes.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Lowtax posted:

Business Gorillas posted:

hey lowtax my parents were eaten by sharks, thanks for taking their deaths and making a joke out of it

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
Im posting from the awful app and it works p well, i can't create threads though!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bobert Bobertson posted:

Im posting from the awful app and it works p well, i can't create threads though!
Working as intended.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

gggiiimmmppp posted:

next time the database dies we'll all have to buy our avs again at 175x175 to pay for it because lowtax spent all the 150x150 money on this

Volume posted:

lol that the first drop down menu at the very top is "Purchase something" You're a greedy gently caress, Lowtax.

I'm doing this myself in my own time, but I appreciate all the helpful remarks you guys are making.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Lowtax posted:

Pls Never giv up ur dream rikhard.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
If you are getting the screen width bug (where the content does not span the window 100%), please let me know what browser you're using and what device and as much info as you can give me.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Pls giv up ur dream rikhard.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Peppi posted:

Pls giv up ur dream rikhard.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Can we please stay on the topic people?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Lowtax posted:

If you are getting the screen width bug (where the content does not span the window 100%), please let me know what browser you're using and what device and as much info as you can give me.

i'm using chrome on a galaxy s5

also, even though it says the mobile thing is only for mobile devices, i'm getting the mobile layout on my computer as well

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
works great on my old iphone 4s, tanks for creating dis

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
To get back on subject, ideally I wouldn't have to use jquery and css sheets to basically cover up and rearrange the site to fit on mobile devices. Ideally PHP would spit out clean HTML and it would be styled using only CSS. But I don't have the money to pay somebody for all the time and effort it would require to do this, so the second-best solution is the one I'm going for. Also this is why you briefly see the old layout before the new one takes over, it's jquery re-rendering it. Stupid.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

i'm using chrome on a galaxy s5

also, even though it says the mobile thing is only for mobile devices, i'm getting the mobile layout on my computer as well
Yeah, that option isn't working now, as I haven't put in a reliable check for mobile devices yet.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Serious Request for SenoR Lowtax:

Can you put in a way to link to individual posts on the mobile layout? I like being able to do that sometimes. Thanks!

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Lowtax posted:

Safari, Iphone 5S. All options on.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

The Bananana posted:

This is a tough one for me, but after some careful consideration, I'm going to have to agree; quest edges out guardians.

i understand, even if you hate galaxy quest, you'll hate guardians even more.

also to the guy with the youtube reload thing, i had that going on too and just disabled it on my galaxy s4. it would random send you back to the top of the page because of it, really obnoxious. before i bothered to find a fix i gave up and read a book instead. at least books don't tell me they are gay

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i clicked to use mobile on mobile but it considered my computer as a mobile. what in the heck, lowatx?

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
computers are just overly powerful smart phones when you really think about it

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

computers are just overly powerful smart phones when you really think about it
It's cool that Lowtax is wasting all this time and effort on a mobile version of the forums since basically every smart phone has a resolution larger than most laptops nowadays.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's cool that Lowtax is wasting all this time and effort on a mobile version of the forums since basically every smart phone has a resolution larger than most laptops nowadays.

at least on windows phone, the forums display kind of stupidly, with really small fonts. all i hoped for with a mobile site was fonts that adjust properly, because the rest of the site layout/navigation is good and i fear change.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Whirlwind Jones posted:

it's the screen size, dummy

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

i think its a good idea since you shouldnt need an app for a webpage but there are more pressing matters such as destroying ADTRW, for example

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I'll report on how it looks on my Nokia Lumia 920, powered by Microsoft

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

i think its a good idea since you shouldnt need an app for a webpage but there are more pressing matters such as destroying ADTRW, for example
What I'm saying is that the regular old forums layout that the we've had for years works pretty well on mobile devices and as such there's no need for an app or a mobile stylesheet when viewing the forums but that's just my opinion.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Lowtax posted:

To get back on subject, ideally I wouldn't have to use jquery and css sheets to basically cover up and rearrange the site to fit on mobile devices. Ideally PHP would spit out clean HTML and it would be styled using only CSS. But I don't have the money to pay somebody for all the time and effort it would require to do this, so the second-best solution is the one I'm going for. Also this is why you briefly see the old layout before the new one takes over, it's jquery re-rendering it. Stupid.

Why don't you use CSS media queries to style for small devices instead of adding a bunch of jquery which will make the pages load slower. Also avoids re-rendering flash and is less complicated code to manage/maintain anyway.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Lowtax posted:

I'm doing this myself in my own time, but I appreciate all the helpful remarks you guys are making.

Good Luck, Goon.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

i clicked to use mobile on mobile but it considered my computer as a mobile. what in the heck, lowatx?

Same issue here. I tried clicking yes to the first option (enable mobile mode on mobile devices) and 'no' on the other options, and that didn't work either (First I tried enabling all three options to 'yes' as suggested in the OP).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

nwin posted:

Same issue here. I tried clicking yes to the first option (enable mobile mode on mobile devices) and 'no' on the other options, and that didn't work either (First I tried enabling all three options to 'yes' as suggested in the OP).
He hasn't done that part yet (except the part where he added the option for a thing that doesn't work yet, he did that part).

• Locked thread