Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Lowtax posted:

To get back on subject, ideally I wouldn't have to use jquery and css sheets to basically cover up and rearrange the site to fit on mobile devices. Ideally PHP would spit out clean HTML and it would be styled using only CSS. But I don't have the money to pay somebody for all the time and effort it would require to do this, so the second-best solution is the one I'm going for. Also this is why you briefly see the old layout before the new one takes over, it's jquery re-rendering it. Stupid.

i don't understand all this mumbo jumbo, but it looks good and i look forward to it working without having to toggle things all the time.

what are the chances that in the future the forum can support that 'drag down for more posts' thing you get on the facebook mobile site?

also in regards to everyone going on about awful app whilst the app is great, this is a good option because my phone is really old and i am really poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
the awful is app is far and away a better Phone Posting Experience, as the line of blackberries i had back when just did not cut it

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
ɾeɑlly excited ɑbout the movie veɾsion of this site

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

a starwar betamax posted:

ɾeɑlly excited ɑbout the movie veɾsion of this site

where have u been???

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I´m waiting for the novelization of Doom House and Mood House.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
i heard jesse eisenburg is gonna play lowtax

simon pegg will play radium

FreudianSlippers posted:

I´m waiting for the novelization of Doom House and Mood House.

the SA extended universe

Brain Fog
Dec 27, 2012

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I'm giving it a go on my IPhone 5s, on the newest version of Safari and I don't notice any problems. No table breaking or any weird column crunching. I use the app mostly, so I'm not sure if I'm missing things that are a problem.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Lowtax posted:

To get back on subject, ideally I wouldn't have to use jquery and css sheets to basically cover up and rearrange the site to fit on mobile devices. Ideally PHP would spit out clean HTML and it would be styled using only CSS. But I don't have the money to pay somebody for all the time and effort it would require to do this, so the second-best solution is the one I'm going for. Also this is why you briefly see the old layout before the new one takes over, it's jquery re-rendering it. Stupid.

use media queries. jesus loving christ

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Ratjaculation posted:

where have u been???

ɡettinɡ oveɾ ɑ cɑse of the squiɾts ɑfteɾ ɑll thɑt cɾɑzy poop i been eɑtin ːbɑnɡː

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

a starwar betamax posted:

ɡettinɡ oveɾ ɑ cɑse of the squiɾts ɑfteɾ ɑll thɑt cɾɑzy poop i been eɑtin ːbɑnɡː
so much effort lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Pretty good, even just using in a desktop. I think I prefer the regular layout still but this is very usable, I'll try it on a phone later.

Using windows 7 with chrome 37, I have a couple issues/suggestions:
- Quote and report buttons aren't lined up, and are different sizes. This is also true of post and reply in fyad.
- There is a big gap between the post and reply buttons in grey forums. Same is true of quote and edit on posts. Maybe this is a design decision for easier phone pressing?
- Default breadcrumb(the << that doesn't require a menu) takes you to the forum list, not the thread list. Frankly, most of the time I want my usercp anyway, but I think the thread list for the current forum is more widely used than the one for the list of all forums. Maybe the new coder guy could add some statistics to how often buttons are pressed, I bet you'll see.
- It'd be cool if custom title text was shown in that big bar that's above each post. No images though.

Some of these might be my cache not refreshing. My F5 button isn't working on my work computer for some reason so I can't force it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 10, 2014

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Lowtax posted:

i'm not saying this to be rude or sass you, but why not just offer a "prize of some sort" to bait one of or some of the many goon programmers to do this for free for you for forums cred?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also lots of avatars are showing up as ,
see spanish manlove in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600882

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Jeffrey posted:

Also lots of avatars are showing up as

awesome shilling for captain planet now.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Brain Fog posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Sigh. I think GBS needs a blood purge for this Halloween.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Watrick posted:

I'm giving it a go on my IPhone 5s, on the newest version of Safari and I don't notice any problems. No table breaking or any weird column crunching. I use the app mostly, so I'm not sure if I'm missing things that are a problem.

Do you have all the control panel options on? Because I'm trying this right now and still seeing the same problem where the size is all bunched together.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I hope you don't take my griping the wrong way, mostly I like it. I wish clicking a thread took you to the first unread post by default, since that's how I usually browse threads. I got used to that on the app and I quite like it, since the last read buttons are small by comparison on a phone screen. Not sure how easy this is to change with your post-processing jquery. Also in the usercp, there is a big buddy list above the list of threads, and while I admittedly have some forum buddies, I don't ever particularly care if they are online and wish the list were not occluding my list of threads. Maybe I should just get used to using bookmarks.php instead of usercp.php but its muscle memory.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Lowtax posted:

can we get a khorne background for it? Possibly slayer?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Why don't you use CSS media queries to style for small devices instead of adding a bunch of jquery which will make the pages load slower. Also avoids re-rendering flash and is less complicated code to manage/maintain anyway.
Because media queries can only do so much.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I've always just used the standard site on my phone, what aspects of it don't you like and are improved?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Jeffrey posted:

I hope you don't take my griping the wrong way, mostly I like it. I wish clicking a thread took you to the first unread post by default, since that's how I usually browse threads. I got used to that on the app and I quite like it, since the last read buttons are small by comparison on a phone screen. Not sure how easy this is to change with your post-processing jquery. Also in the usercp, there is a big buddy list above the list of threads, and while I admittedly have some forum buddies, I don't ever particularly care if they are online and wish the list were not occluding my list of threads. Maybe I should just get used to using bookmarks.php instead of usercp.php but its muscle memory.
No, this is good, constructive advice I can use. I can either make the buddy list smaller, or put it at the end.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lowtax posted:

You have my axe.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lowtax posted:

No, this is good, constructive advice I can use. I can either make the buddy list smaller, or put it at the end.

I'm not sure I've ever clicked on it so I'd just put it at the end.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

buddy list box should have a toggle

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Lowtax posted:

There's a whole lot of people in GBS right now who think the way to be funny or cool online is to be really negative about stuff and show a baseline level of hate towards everyone and everything. and while I don't generally support giving people harsh mod punishments, I don't think anybody would miss them very much if you made that posting style go away.

Sorry I can't give feedback on your mobile thing since I don't phonepost and hopefully never will again, but have fun working on it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

concerned mom posted:

I've always just used the standard site on my phone, what aspects of it don't you like and are improved?
The mobile version is less intuitive and uglier in almost every way.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Ratjaculation posted:

buddy list box should have a toggle
That can be done as well.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The mobile version is less intuitive and uglier in almost every way.
What do you feel is so "less intuitive" of it?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Lowtax posted:

What do you feel is so "less intuitive" of it?
The drop down menus for navigation were cumbersome and annoying to me but to be honest I only used it for about 3 minutes and then switched back to the regular view so maybe I'm just lazy.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The drop down menus for navigation were cumbersome and annoying to me but to be honest I only used it for about 3 minutes and then switched back to the regular view so maybe I'm just lazy.
I'm sorry you were confused by a dropdown menu. Spending more than 3 minutes on it really helps though.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Lowtax posted:

I'm sorry you were confused by a dropdown menu. Spending more than 3 minutes on it really helps though.
I never said I was confused? :confused:

It takes 3 "clicks" to get somewhere on the mobile version while it takes only one to navigate via the regular forums on a mobile device. That's what cumbersome means.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I never said I was confused? :confused:

It takes 3 "clicks" to get somewhere on the mobile version while it takes only one to navigate via the regular forums on a mobile device. That's what cumbersome means.
It takes two clicks. You click the box, you click where you want to go. That is cumbersome?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think it's quite nice but everything feels way too big, like looking on an old school monitor. You could easily scale everything down to 1/4 the size it is and it would look a lot cleaner in my opinion. I always find it a bit frustrating when mobile sites are old person eyes huge when most mobile devices have really good resolution and zoom functions these days. It's got real potential though. This reply box is hugely improved for example.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Lowtax posted:

It takes two clicks. You click the box, you click where you want to go. That is cumbersome?
You also have to scroll the wheel to your desired selection. It's 3 "actions" vs 1 action to complete the same task. Yes, that's cumbersome.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
It is a good start. Will the little box that shows new replies always cover up the thread icon?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Oh, while we're on the subject of cumbersome dropdowns that take too much time/too many clicks, here's something cumbersome from the regular-view forums:

Why does this drop-up exist instead of just being Somethingawful Forums > GBS 1.4 - blah blah > Thread Title without needing to hover over the link for a second? Nobody is ever going to want to navigate to Main on purpose, so all it does is add an extra action to the process of returning to the forum index, as well as the potential to accidentally click on Main and have to make more clicks to leave it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You also have to scroll the wheel to your desired selection. It's 3 "actions" vs 1 action to complete the same task. Yes, that's cumbersome.
Most mobile devices do not have wheels on them, which is the target group to use of this feature.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

lesbian baphomet posted:

Oh, while we're on the subject of cumbersome dropdowns that take too much time/too many clicks, here's something cumbersome from the regular-view forums:

Why does this drop-up exist instead of just being Somethingawful Forums > GBS 1.4 - blah blah > Thread Title without needing to hover over the link for a second? Nobody is ever going to want to navigate to Main on purpose, so all it does is add an extra action to the process of returning to the forum index, as well as the potential to accidentally click on Main and have to make more clicks to leave it.
Because long forum names, combined with long thread names, combined with sub-sub-forums, caused that element to break others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I tried it, it's definitely a much cleaner layout but it looks kinda bad at the same time.

• Locked thread