Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Is there any reason you don't just take the controls for the GameCube release and map it to the 360 controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I should probably keep a list of where all of the gold skulltulas are so we can kill them if we come across any, huh? :v: I can't actually hear the skulltulas (or anything at all, for that matter) on my end because of how we're recording so I kind of forgot to remind Fae to kill them.

Artix posted:

Come on Chaos, I expect you to be more up on your game mechanics. :colbert: Jump Attacks don't do "a little" more damage, it's a flat double damage. And Deku Sticks are double the Kokiri Sword, making jump attacks with a Deku Stick the best way to murder pretty much anything Link has to deal with in the first couple dungeons (assuming you can keep your stick count up, because they will break on basically anything).

I figured it'd be good to be vague for the first dungeon and then go a little more in depth as we got further and further in the game so she can get used to her options before trying out stronger ones. :shrug:

Regy Rusty posted:

Please kill Gold Skulltulas.

Anyway that boss fight was really remarkable because it showed me that they programmed in an entire alternate mechanic I never knew existed. Apparently Deku Nuts allow you to stun Gohma even when she's not vulnerable, but the tradeoff is that she's stunned for a much shorter time so it takes a lot longer to kill her.

At least that's what it seemed like was happening.

I didn't know that til the first time Fae stunned Gohma either actually! I would've told her about the slingshot in that fight earlier but I figured the deku nuts were working out well enough for her.

Rumda posted:

Is there any reason you don't just take the controls for the GameCube release and map it to the 360 controller?

That's basically what we did after the first death to Gohma and the layout I advocated for when we started. Fae tried mapping the C buttons to the right stick at the start because it seemed simpler, but in the end we swapped over because it was getting kind of annoying when the force of the stick moving back into position after using the slingshot moved the stick just far enough to trigger Navi.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I didn't know that til the first time Fae stunned Gohma either actually! I would've told her about the slingshot in that fight earlier but I figured the deku nuts were working out well enough for her.

I just looked it up and it turns out that each method of stunning her does it for a different period of time. Deku Nuts are the shortest, stunning her for only 2 seconds, while slingshotting her stuns her for 5, and shooting her while she's on the ceiling stuns her for 8!

The ceiling thing is something I only learned when I replayed the game in later years. Pretty sure I died a fair few times to those stupid larvae when I was 11.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

ChaosArgate posted:

Would've worked better knowing to hit the eye before Gohma made babies.

ChaosArgate posted:

in the end we swapped over because it was getting kind of annoying when the force of the stick moving back into position after using the slingshot moved the stick just far enough to trigger Navi.
Depending on the controller, you should be able to set a dead zone for your sticks. Logitech tends to have its own thing for that, while a general solution might be something I've heard of called Pinnacle Game Profiler.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Getting all the Gold Skulltulas is only important if you intend to 100% the game, which is about the least fun way to play a game for the first time. I'd just leave it be. Maybe point one out if you see it but don't send her out of her way.

Count me as another guy who never knew about using Deku Nuts on Gonna. Actually I almost never use them at all.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It's a little messy, I should have drawn it on my 3DS and not with a mouse. :shrug:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Link does not talk, 0/10

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Getting all the Gold Skulltulas is only important if you intend to 100% the game, which is about the least fun way to play a game for the first time. I'd just leave it be. Maybe point one out if you see it but don't send her out of her way.

E: I don't believe this was a spoiler of any sort and more like game mechanics, plus I'm also late on it, but regardless, edited out on request.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 20, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Skulltulas

Can you please edit that out? We haven't gotten to the purpose of skulltulas yet in-game.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Can you please edit that out? We haven't gotten to the purpose of skulltulas yet in-game.

Does it change anything if the manual already explains their purpose?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Cheez posted:

Does it change anything if the manual already explains their purpose?

We don't have access to the manual so not really.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

We don't have access to the manual so not really.

Not the authentic experience, voted 1

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
When I played as a kid I always used the nuts to stun Gohma, so it was kinda cool to see someone else suffer through that bullshit. It's way easier with the slingshot. I don't know why I never thought to use the dungeon item on the dungeon boss, but I never am very bright when it comes to Zelda games.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

First time I played, I tried to use Deku nuts on the boss and they never did anything. I always assumed they just didn't work on her, but I guess I was just screwing up the timing or something? I think I was kind of panicking at the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

Count me as another guy who never knew about using Deku Nuts on Gonna. Actually I almost never use them at all.

As the first one that mentioned it, I'll state outright that I don't expect her to spend hours tracking down the super-hidden ones, but the two in that torch room were driving me NUTS. The sound is practically keyed to make thinking impossible until they're dead.

*skritchskritchskritch-skritch skritchskritchskritch-skritch skritchskritchskritch-skritch skritchskritchskritch-skritch skritchskritchskritch-skritch skritchskritchskritch-skritch*

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SystemLogoff posted:

It's a little messy, I should have drawn it on my 3DS and not with a mouse. :shrug:

Darn it! Stealing the joke I was gonna make. Now I get to feel like a talentless hack!

Oh wait...

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

SystemLogoff posted:

:holy:

I love this so much, I love this thread so much you guys are the poo poo :kimchi:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just catching up on the LP. I'm kinda mulling over signing up for blind commentary, but I see I already showed up in the first video. :v:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
The prize for killing Deku Babas has nothing to do with how you kill them, there were 2 types. The ones which give sticks are unable to bend and attack you because their stems are dried out (hence the sticks).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

whitehelm posted:

The prize for killing Deku Babas has nothing to do with how you kill them, there were 2 types. The ones which give sticks are unable to bend and attack you because their stems are dried out (hence the sticks).

Not true, a jump attack or any attack that kills them while they're attacking you gets you a Deku Nut, and killing them while they're stiff and upright (usually from a thrust) gets you a Deku Stick. :eng101: The ones that are always upright will always drop sticks, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

whitehelm posted:

If you kill one of the bendy ones while its straight up it gives you a stick! The easiest way to get it to stand is to throw a deku nut right before the final hit because the nuts stun them standing straight up.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

The weird thing was, I wasn't so bothered by the big one, it just startled me when I noticed it.

The little ones though, they freak me the hell out because they remind me of some kind of crabs which I'm a little scared of. When I was editing I heard myself saying "I'd be very happy if I never saw these things again" and wanted to just go back in time and give past me a knowing sigh and a solemn nod. I'm surprised ChaosArgate didn't crack up at that point.

I'm super glad that I wasn't actually there with you, because I did crack up at that point. Also, seeing you go 'oh goodness' to every little thing will probably never get old.

Also, tell me you learn how to use your shield sometime relatively soon? The Skulltulas, I can live with. The dicking around in the menus is whatever to me, but watching you take all those hits when you have functional invincibility a button press away is just killing me

Valgaav fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 21, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I used to read Nintendo Official Magazine UK religiously when I was a kid, and as a result I still call Gohma "Plastic Arachnic Gohma" in this game:

My scan from the original OOT tips book (it's small because the tips books were made to fit N64 game boxes). There are so many things wrong with this page that I don't know where to start, and this was supposed to be the official magazine.

To be fair, reading NOM was a really good way for me to learn English back then (the writing was simplistic enough for a dumb Finnish kid such as myself to understand), so I can't hate them too much. :unsmith:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Valgaav posted:

Also, tell me you learn how to use your shield sometime relatively soon? The Skulltulas, I can live with. The dicking around in the menus is whatever to me, but watching you take all those hits when you have functional invincibility a button press away is just killing me

Faerie seems to be only recording new updates after posting the previous ones, so hopefully that might be next video. You're very unlikely to lose anything by blocking, generally speaking.

Another tip would be that I think there's an option somewhere to make Z-targeting a toggle instead of having to hold the button down. I suggest trying it and seeing if that makes things any easier. :) (I think that you can only change such options from the main menu.)

I don't know how good a guest I'd be, but I'm kinda interested in joining you and CA at some point.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Learning to use the shield is something that kind of develops naturally. Or just never develops and you facetank everything.

Also: Love the LP so far! OoT is one of the formative games of my childhood so it's neat to see someone going into it blind.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

Another tip would be that I think there's an option somewhere to make Z-targeting a toggle instead of having to hold the button down. I suggest trying it and seeing if that makes things any easier. :) (I think that you can only change such options from the main menu.)

...I've actually never seen the options menu before. I didn't think there actually was a surround sound option. :psyduck:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

ChaosArgate posted:

...I've actually never seen the options menu before. I didn't think there actually was a surround sound option. :psyduck:

If I'd thought back to earlier in the video with the Skullwalltulas, I'd have figured that it was already set to Switch before posting. :doh:

That's really not much of an option menu, is it? Mind you, this was the N64.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I always thought Hold was better anyway, makes it easier to cancel the lock when there's more than one enemy in range.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I prefer hold myself, but it's Fae's call in the end.

Yapping Eevee posted:

If I'd thought back to earlier in the video with the Skullwalltulas, I'd have figured that it was already set to Switch before posting. :doh:

That's really not much of an option menu, is it? Mind you, this was the N64.

I'm trying to think about it, but I'm not sure what other options there would be? Maybe text speed?

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
I know I am a bit late for the whole "fan art" thing, but does Link shotting Navi outof a catapult at Gohma count?

Loving the LP by the way.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Arp1033 posted:

I know I am a bit late for the whole "fan art" thing, but does Link shotting Navi outof a catapult at Gohma count?

Loving the LP by the way.
It looks like Link is holding a martini.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Yay! I love to watch people play the game blind. It's so interesting!

REMOVED -Geop

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 21, 2014

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

OH NO MAN posted:

I used to read Nintendo Official Magazine UK religiously when I was a kid, and as a result I still call Gohma "Plastic Arachnic Gohma" in this game:

My scan from the original OOT tips book (it's small because the tips books were made to fit N64 game boxes). There are so many things wrong with this page that I don't know where to start, and this was supposed to be the official magazine.

To be fair, reading NOM was a really good way for me to learn English back then (the writing was simplistic enough for a dumb Finnish kid such as myself to understand), so I can't hate them too much. :unsmith:

...Plastic Arachnid? I get parasitic is hard to spell, but come on.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

They were too busy making up stupid derogatory nicknames for other consoles (Fony Greystation S*ga Dreampants hurrrr :downs:) to pay attention to the spelling in N64 games. (edit: I just noticed I accidentally typed "arachnic" in the last post :eng99:)

That's not even the only time they called it Plastic Arachnid, they had like a beginner's walkthrough a few issues earlier and that one had the same mistake. I'd say it was some sort of an in-joke, but this was NOM UK we're talking about so they probably just hosed up.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 21, 2014

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

OH NO MAN posted:

Sega Dreampants

mods namechange

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In the vein of things I spent far too much drawing

Just realised I didn't make Link properly 3D like the rest of it. ALAS.
(I have absolutely no idea what I haven't bought from LowTax still.)

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Why is your catapult rearing up?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

OH NO MAN posted:

They were too busy making up stupid derogatory nicknames for other consoles (Fony Greystation S*ga Dreampants hurrrr :downs:) to pay attention to the spelling in N64 games. (edit: I just noticed I accidentally typed "arachnic" in the last post :eng99:)

That's not even the only time they called it Plastic Arachnid, they had like a beginner's walkthrough a few issues earlier and that one had the same mistake. I'd say it was some sort of an in-joke, but this was NOM UK we're talking about so they probably just hosed up.

Wait, I noticed something else. It says to use Up and R Button to slash the deku stick? As far I know, you just hit the C button to swing it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I guess it might be easier to burn the web if you're crouching with the shield while holding the burning deku stick? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

It looks like Link is holding a martini.

Gotta celebrate somehow!

• Locked thread