Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Leslie Jones is the loving best part when she shows up.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
fuuck :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sportsgenius86 posted:

Add her to the cast. She's loving brilliant.

Seriously I don't care if she plays the same role in every bit, she's the best at it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh loving hell SNL I didn't want you to make me cry tonight.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
oh god i may cry, i missed the vintage ep watching football....and instead they're doing this as a live tribute.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Dammit, who filled my living room with onions?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I legit was on the fence if this was a bit or not for a second because I hadn't heard.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Well this is sort of bringing me down

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
The world is a way, way worse place without Phil Hartman and Jan Hooks in it.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

So I can chalk up the watery eyes to fall allergies, right? Yeah, I'm going with fall allergies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jesus she was 57, poo poo SNL don't make me cry after a hilarious sketch :smith:

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Would anyone who watched SNL in the '80s be able to provide any context w/r/t this piece? Did they do melancholy stuff more regularly back then?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Would anyone who watched SNL in the '80s be able to provide any context w/r/t this piece? Did they do melancholy stuff more regularly back then?

Yeah I'm not feeling the laffs here.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I teared up whenever I'd see this after Hartman died, and now it's a double whammy.

Although I always wondered why they did this sketch in the first place. I don't understand its purpose except to be used as a future In Memoriam for Hartman and Hooks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Yea the old stuff used to sprinkle in some wider ranging things, it used to be more a place for the talent to show off their abilities on the whole rather than 100% jokes all the time. Obviously it was still a humor show but every so often with guys like Hartman and girls like Hooks they played to their outside strengths.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
The Schiller short films weren't always meant to be funny.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Yes. It goes back as far as the first cast. There has always been prerecorded segments and some have been quite sentimental and sweet.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the old stuff used to sprinkle in some wider ranging things, it used to be more a place for the talent to show off their abilities on the whole rather than 100% jokes all the time. Obviously it was still a humor show but every so often with guys like Hartman and girls like Hooks they played to their outside strengths.

Thanks. I knew about the "Belushi walking around a cemetery" piece from the early episodes but that was obviously a few generations before Hooks/Hartman. Mike O'Brien's pieces last season were probably the closest modern thing like that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Z.S. Ghost posted:

It's a Schillervision piece by Tom Schiller. He worked on the show and occasionally did little films in the 70s, and again in the late 80s and early 90s. Many of them are similar to this.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

They used this bit for their tribute to Phil Hartman during the 25th anniversary special. If they wanted to use something as a tribute to Jan, it would also work here:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/watch-jan-hooks-and-phil-hartman-in-the-weird-gorgeous-1644570315/all

:cry:

And they did.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Great song, made better by the fact that I just learned that Hozier is, in fact, a Taran Killam character.

pwn
May 27, 2004

An example of a funny Schillervision, fearueing Schiller himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5aVzSDme4

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

ZDar Fan posted:

I teared up whenever I'd see this after Hartman died, and now it's a double whammy.

Although I always wondered why they did this sketch in the first place. I don't understand its purpose except to be used as a future In Memoriam for Hartman and Hooks.

Mostly a show off the techinical prowess of doing pre-filmed bits and being able to let two cast members shine in a bit piece that they wouldn't be able to do anywhere else. Since it was pre-filmed it was something they could stick into any ep that ran 4 or so minutes short during the season, and it was a more "These guys do have talents!" stuff, exposing the audience to different things that can also broaden the humor of later bits. The schiller bits were always more about showing off the cast and the crew, and if it happened to have humor, even better.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So my Christian rock senses are going off like crazy at this guy.

[Edit: that's not necessarily a bad thing, Sufjan Stevens owns bones and he's arguably Christian rock]

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The last time they did one of these straight up non comedy musical pieces was I think Maya Rudolph in like a bus or subway and Tracy Morgan singing like a straight romantic piece.

Maybe Fred Armisen with his indie buddies in his last episode counts too.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
:suicide:

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
We're probably gonna see this one more time during the 40th anniversary show in February. So be ready.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

This dude's got a nice voice. That's pretty much it.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
I also just remembered that Hooks was Manjula on The Simpsons.

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Cuter stuff like that wasn't particularly common, but it wasn't shocking to see exercises like it, either.

Sort of like how the Bruno Mars sketch with him as the mouse in Times Square definitely stuck out that episode, since it was a really touching, not particularly comedic sketch.

I think we're just used to SNL trying really hard to make us laugh. When it tries some "higher" art like that, it's almost always good, too.

greatn posted:

The last time they did one of these straight up non comedy musical pieces was I think Maya Rudolph in like a bus or subway and Tracy Morgan singing like a straight romantic piece.

Maybe Fred Armisen with his indie buddies in his last episode counts too.
The Mouse bit is the most recent attempt, I think.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That was amazingly bland

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sportsgenius86 posted:

That was amazingly bland

Except for that one part that was ripped straight out of "Welcome To The Machine", instrumentation and all.

frontyardninja
Nov 5, 2005

I quite like that song - but I think the video is so much more powerful.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

gently caress better get my popcorn

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Here we go...

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Is Seth wearing a Jost costume or something??

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

frontyardninja posted:

I quite like that song - but I think the video is so much more powerful.

I caught the last minute of that video a few days ago, and that was quite intense.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yesssss

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh hey Gilbert Gottfried Jr. gets a second appearance!

• Locked thread