Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, our ways are just barred by all kinds of jerks, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh man, I'd missed this thread popping up! I thought the LP was gonna be continued in the first thread.

Super hype for seeing how Kyrandia 2 and 3 end, I never finished either, since I only played them when I was a kid and barely understood English.

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island
Uh, updates? Plox?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

Man, our ways are just barred by all kinds of jerks, aren't they?

Adventure game.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Oh yeah, dig that Darkmoor Swamp groove! Frank Klepacki has had his magnificent hands all over this game.

Rebought and replayed this game about ten times after watching the previous games LP. It's just chockablock with all sorts of little neat touches and some of the dialogue even changes in different playthroughs.

Never got round to finishing Malcolms Revenge though, I'm coming round to the opinion that its even worse than the first game.

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island
Sorry for begging. I have learned my lesson. By way of penance, here's a fairly broad interview with Frank Klepacki on his musical development at Westwood and other studios for your reading pleasure.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Update!

Chapter 3: Wherein a Potion is Made

Welcome back to the magical land of Kyrandia, where a giant rat is impeding our progress towards what could be treasure, or could just be two jerkass frogs pulling our leg. The rat-man responded poorly to Zanthia's ham-fisted attempt at diplomacy and won't budge willingly, so we're going to have to find some other way of getting rid of him.

The rat seems to be afraid of snakes, so maybe a Swampsnake Potion will be effective. Most of the ingredients look hella goofy, though. Smell of eggs? "Windy woof?" What the heck is all this crap? At least we've got the onion part sorted, and I bet I know where we can find a lizard.

Technically, crocodiles aren't lizards, but they're both reptiles, so let's just hope whatever mystical force makes alchemy work isn't too concerned with taxonomic details. Now, how do we make this guy surrender his sweet, sweet crocodile tears?

:eng101: Onions contain enzymes that, when the cells of the onion are ruptured (e.g. by cutting), react with water to create propanethial s-oxide, a sulfuric compound which irritates the eyes and provokes tearing.

Ho hum, another beast.

You can totally make Zanthia drink the crocodile tears, but there's really no reason to and besides, we need it for our Swampsnake Potion. Terrorizing the local wildlife has left us down one onion, though, and we needed that too.

Fortunately, important items respawn in this game, so we can just go back to where we found the onion the first time around and get a new one. Meanwhile, Marko and his weird hand seem to have gone off somewhere. Let's hope he's not been getting into any trouble.

Believe it or not, we actually have all the main ingredients for our potion now. We're almost ready to get mixing. We only need one more thing: the recipe specifies that we need to mix the ingredients in hot water, and our cauldron only contains lukewarm water at the moment.

Trekking all the way back to this side of the swamp again lets us fill one of our spare bottles with hot spring water. Let's just go right ahead and dump it into our cauldron.

Whenever we toss something in the cauldron, it flashes a random color briefly and makes a little noise. We know we need the reptile tears and the onion, so let's throw those in.

The next thing on the list is "smell of eggs". Rotten eggs sure do smell bad, but what exactly causes the foul smell? Answer: hydrogen sulfide. The sulfur rock should be close enough.

Next up is something the spellbook calls "windy woof". Surely, we don't have anything that sounds like it could match that description. What does it even mean? Perhaps we are meant to find a small dog, bring it to the top of a mountain, and somehow harvest the force of its bark? Hold on... bark. Windy?

quote:

windy (/ˈwaɪndi/), adjective

windy (comparative windier, superlative windiest)
(of a path etc) Having many bends; winding, twisting or tortuous.

The item we need for "windy woof" is, of course, the gnarlybark. The game is setting a worrying precedent. That only leaves us with one item: "toadstool". Well, we've got a mushroom, so that ought to work, right?

Actually, the mushroom is wrong and would just mess up the potion if we tried to use it. Given what the game just made us do, the actual answer should come as no surprise.

Naturally, the correct answer is the toad stool from Herb's shack.

The potion turns a vibrant green and a triumphant sound is played, indicating that we have successfully brewed up our first potion. :toot:

One batch fills three flasks. We don't really need that many, but there's no harm in carrying extras around. Let's go show that rat what-for.

There are two ways to use our new Swampsnake Potion, but both are equally effective. I'm not really sure why they bothered animating two different but functionally identical solutions to the same problem, but they did. The first way is to use the potion on the rat directly:

I've got a little present for you in this bottle...

Yikes. The other way is to instead drink the potion in front of the rat, which has a slightly different effect.

Check this out...

It smells better in here already. Now to find the lost treasure!

Double yikes. All right, let's go have ourselves some well-deserved treasure!

Music: Treasure Cave (Tindeck)

That's impressive... there must be something in there.

I'm getting Monkey Island flashbacks. By the way, you can get an additional mushroom here. It's sitting in the background right next to Zanthia.

Let's have a look at that giant skull. If there's any treasure in here, it's got to be inside that thing.

He must've been a big boy.

Let's try the teeth, maybe.

Huh. Not pictured: clicking the tooth makes a brief drum snare play.

This one makes a clicking noise. The next tooth glows yet another color and makes a sound like a steel drum or something like it. All the teeth have similar effects; they glow a unique color and play a brief musical note of some kind. In order, the teeth glow green, violet, orange, cyan, red, yellow, and blue. Clearly we have stumbled on a musical pirate skele-puzzle of some kind... but there are no real clues to what we need to do. We can click random teeth until the cows come home, but we wouldn't be any closer to a solution that way. There are too many combinations for us to be able to brute force this one.

Fortunately, there's no need for us to. There's one place in the swamp we haven't visited before now.

It's directly south of the cave.

Weird bugs.

Huh, look at that. Those fireflies are the same colors as the giant teeth. I wonder what'll happen if we click on one.

Curious! The yellow firefly lit up and played the same sound effect that the yellow tooth did. Furthermore, the red firefly lit up immediately after. Perhaps if we click the red one?

You might already see where this is going. The fireflies are a musical game of Simon, with the sequence having been randomly generated when we started the game. Click the first firefly in the sequence, and two first fireflies light up; click those two, and the three first light up, and so forth. There are seven fireflies, all of which are part of the sequence and appear exactly once. After a bit of clicking, the sequence is completed, and...

Cute tune, but inaccessible to the masses.

The fireflies play a little tune for us. Unfortunately, the tune doesn't play correctly in the ScummVM version of the game... nor does it play correctly if you run the original CD-ROM version through DOSBOX. I thought briefly about Frankensteining together the two tunes, but the OPL3 emulators are different between the two versions. :sigh:

At any rate, solving the firefly puzzle didn't seem to give us anything special. But we know something now that we didn't before: we know the correct order. If we go back to the skull and click its teeth in the same order that we clicked the fireflies in...

... the skull opens, surrendering its sweet, sweet treasure!

Wonderful!

Of course, the chest is locked. What kind of key do you think would open a skull chest?

The skeleton key, of course. Let's collect our loot.

Now I can change lead into gold! All I need now is lead.

Sweet! We're halfway to turning all the world's lead into gold and crashing the global gold market making our way to Morningmist. Anything else in there?

Moldy cheese. Yuck. Now all we need is some lead. Who might have some of that?

Maybe these guys?

Well, you can't have our anchor.
I really need it.
We're staying here until we catch a fish.

Given that this is coming from a pair of dudes sitting in a boat that's constantly on the verge of sinking and who aren't using any bait, that could take a while. If only we could help them along. Really, the bait thing is the big problem. What do Kyrandian fish eat? Blueberries?

We didn't have time to pack a lunch.

:argh: I didn't mean for you to eat it, dang it! Let's try giving them something no sane person would eat, like that cheese.

At this point I'll try anything.

You're welcome.

Dork and Dorkier managed to catch a fish at last, and have rowed off into the sunset. Or, rather, and more to our benefit, to the docks we saw earlier in the game. With any luck, we can steal their anchor and turn into gold and be done with this mess! However...

... on the way there, we run into this little spectacle.

What!? I like doing this!

That looks completely intentional.

I've come to help you.
Are you having fun, Marko?
Very funny, Zanthia. I came to help you out.
Thanks, but no thanks.

Yeah, you're being very helpful. Where's your hand, anyway?

Please, Zanthia! Let me help you!

Yeah, sorry, we've got places to be. I'm sure Marko's hand can give him a... well, a finger of some sort, I guess... whenever he decides to show up. Meanwhile, we need to get our rear end to Morningmist, and to do that, we need that anchor. The docks should be just to the right of this location.

There's the boat, and there's the anchor, which we'll steal.

As predicted, the anchor is made of lead.

Now all I need to do is turn it to gold.

One slap of that Alchemist's Magnet and...

Presto! It took a lot of work, but we've finally got a piece of gold we can use to pay off Brueth so he'll take us to Morningmist. A chunk of gold this size should be enough for even the greediest of fairies.

We'll ditch Marko, get away from this frog-infested swamp, and finally make some progress. All we need to do is get back to the ferry, which is just a short distance north of our present location and surely still intact and just waiting for us to return so we can set off.

:negative:

Next time, we'll see what's going on with this rear end in a top hat and maybe, finally actually go to a new location.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 1, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
So rescuing Marko is optional, I wondered about that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I'm not sure whether it's just because she's not loving Brandon, but Zanthia's amusing me as a protagonist. The medusa hair thing in particular was pretty hilarious, I like that she's having fun with this whole thing and doesn't mind being a dick to jackasses who stand in her way.

Spylde
May 14, 2008

No one loves the sexophone
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but if you give the fireflies blueberries, they'll automatically play the whole sequence.

I have no idea how you are supposed to learn this in-game, because I figured it from a walkthrough when I played this as a kid.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This is by far the best game in the series, I'm glad to see a Let's Play.

I remember getting horribly stuck at this puzzle as a kid. Many years later when I gave it another go I immediately solved it. I just couldn't understand why was it so hard in the first place.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

In addition to the blueberry thing with the bugs, there's also an alternate way to get tears from the crocodile. You can tickle him with the feather until he cries from laughter. :buddy:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I had no idea you could get the crocodile tears with the onion. And yeah that firefly puzzle also stumped me as a kid for years until I was just messing around with it one day and found that it played in a sequence.

Actually I think I remember that the blueberries made them play a sequence, but I'm not sure if they play the right tune, or they might play the right tune but it doesn't trip a flag correctly. You have to play the whole sequence out before you can unlock the skull at least I think that's right.

In regards to the Alchemists Magnet it has another function that's not expressly told to you, if you weren't aware of this already Try clicking it on every character you meet, including Brueth and the guys in the boat and you'll see what I mean

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Are those aviator goggles on that thing's head at the end?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

...if that thing ends up being a dragonfly, I'm going to find out whoever was in charge of punning up Kyrandia 2 and slapping them sideways.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

There is a tentacle in our cauldron! :ohdear:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Torrannor posted:

There is a tentacle in our cauldron! :ohdear:

And soetimes it blinks, or there is a little wooden model ship trailing over the surface.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yaaay, a HOF LP!

Definitely my favorite game of the series. I thought it was mainly nostalgia but then I replayed the two first ones lately and no, it's so much better. Interesting locations instead of filler, Zanthia not being a joke like Brandon, no bullshit maze/stone/flower puzzles, everything's more polished.

And despite finishing this several times I'm already learning new things, like the blueberry bug solution or snake from the bottle. I'll be watching this.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

PurpleXVI posted:

...if that thing ends up being a dragonfly, I'm going to find out whoever was in charge of punning up Kyrandia 2 and slapping them sideways.

Well. It's still not Xanth, at least.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. I'm beginning to suspect that this game series actively hates you.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Zeniel posted:

In regards to the Alchemists Magnet it has another function that's not expressly told to you, if you weren't aware of this already Try clicking it on every character you meet, including Brueth and the guys in the boat and you'll see what I mean

I had totally forgotten you could do that! It doesn't really do anything on Brueth though. I'll put the stuff you can do in Darkmoor in a bonus update after the next one, because the next one is going to be a little shorter.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Chapter 4: Wherein Zanthia Tampers With the Post

Last time on Hand of Fate, we finally collected the gold Brueth wanted in return for transportation. Unfortunately, we came back to the ferry to find it burnt to a crisp by... this... thing. Sadly, I believe it's a dragonfly.

Video: Dragonfly (Youtube)

I accidentally burned it down.

:argh:

Can you fly me to Morningmist Valley?

Zanthia knows how to keep her eyes on the prize. Let's not worry about what happened to Brueth or what the repercussions of this area being cut off from Morningmist might be. All that matters is that we get over there.

I will if you find the four letters I dropped.

Unfortunately, that lies on the other side of a fetch quest.

If I find your letters, will you give me a ride?
Sure. If I don't get those letters back, I could lose my job.

I guess burning down someone's ferry is not grounds for dismissal in Kyrandia, but so help you god if you misplace one letter.

Where did you lose them?
I was watching a damselfly go by and I guess I just dropped them.

All the way.

All right, so at least all hope is not lost yet. If we can find the letters this doofus dropped, he'll help us get to where we need to go. The letters are all over the place, but they're not hard to track down. The first is by the firefly tree.

Scotia, Evil Sorceress; c/o the Dark Army, Castle Cimmeria, Land #13127, Lore.

It's a reference to another Westwood game, Lands of Lore. After Westwood did Eye of the Beholder, they decided to produce another game along the same lines but with an original franchise. The game itself is pretty cool. Check it out some time. Anyway, Scotia is the big bad of that game.

The next letter is on top of Zanthia's hut.

Malcolm the Jester, Castle Kyrandia. RETURN TO SENDER.

Looks like our old nemesis from the previous game had some pending mail that got stuck in the system after he got turned into a rock.

While we're here, let's have a look at what Faun is doing. Sitting quietly in the corner, I hope.

I don't trust this guy at all. Why does Zanthia hang out with him, anyway? Speaking of pathetic figures, we should probably do something about Marko. This is strictly optional, but everything we need to get him out of his predicament is in our inventory already. I'm not sure if this is half of a cut puzzle left in the game or what, since you can neglect to do it with no apparent penalty.

What might a huge plant monster be interested in receiving in exchange for Marko?

How about some plant food?

I could've done that.

Sure thing, Marko. Anyway, he has nothing interesting to say, so let's just go find the next two letters. The third letter in all is at the quicksnad pit.

Farmer Greenberry, Morningmist Valley, Kyrandia, KY.

No idea who this guy is. Well, that's not entirely true, but we'll get to Farmer Greenberry later on. The last letter is at the sulfur springs.

Herman Meünster, Acme Cheese Factory, Timbermist Woods, Kyrandia, KY.

Is this a reference to Herman from the previous game, or is it just a random reference to the Munsters? If only there was some way to find out. If only we had some steam we could just steam the letter open and check it out, but where would we get steam?

Oh, of course, right here! Using one of the letters on the wisps of steam emanating from the sulfur springs lets you open the letter and check out the contents. This is Herman's letter:

Whelp. I guess it is our Herman. What's more, it seems no one bothered to un-zombie him after Brandon defeated Malcolm. Speaking of which, let's check out his letter.

This just looks like some random fluff. I'm not sure if there's any references to other media in this one. Scotia's letter is full of them, though:

Aside from the Indiana Jones reference, these are all references to Lands of Lore, mentioning things that appear in that game. Finally, Farmer Greenberry's letter:

So that guy's a bit of a weirdo. Let's not dwell on that; we have all the letters the dragonfly dropped, and with Marko rescued, there's no unfinished business left to take care of. Most of the items in our inventory are really just random trash with no use. Let's go return these letters to the dragonfly and be out of here.

He gets a bit impatient. Give all the letters to him, and...

Video: Flight to Morningmist (Youtube)

Off we go!

Thanks. You really know how to flatter a person. How about I get rid of this anchor?

Thanks. As long as you're going to Morningmist, could you deliver one of these letters for me?
Sure. As long as there's no postage due.

Er, oops. If you leave the anchor behind before you give the dragonfly all the letters, you don't get the sequence involving it. But why would you ever willingly let go of all that gold, anyway?

:toot: We made it to Morningmist, and in reasonably close to one piece!

Can't say the same for our clothes, though...

Zanthia fixes that problem in a snap.

Much better! Hey, everything has fallen out of my knapsack.

Aw, all our carefully collected crap! To help you deal with all the random red herrings in this game, whenever you change to a new area, the game takes away all the excess items. This also means it's impossible to go past a point of no return missing a critical item, unlike the previous game. Shame about the Alchemist's Magnet though. Nothing to do now but start collecting a new pile of garbage!

That looks like a good start. It must be the letter the dragonfly wanted us to deliver. Next time, we'll explore our new surroundings, deliver that letter, and see if we can figure out what our next destination is.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Muenster (without the Umlaut) and Munster are both real cheeses, maybe his last name is just a bad pun on Westwood's behalf?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I really love some of the background vistas in this game. Whatever Westwood's faults could be at times, bad artists was never one of them.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Those letters are great. It's brilliant that you can even open them and that letter to Scotia. :D

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The voice on that drat thing. Ugh.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I don't have a lot to say except that I'm really enjoying seeing this game again. :3:

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

skoolmunkee posted:

I don't have a lot to say except that I'm really enjoying seeing this game again. :3:

This. Looking forward to all the... colourful denisens of Morningmist :allears:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I had no idea you could steam the letters open! I'm beginning to think I might have missed rescuing Marko as well.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
The internal reference (better: Shout-Out) was also present in Lands of Lore 2, where you can find an exibit about a magic gem in which ther similar gems and eldricht stones are nominated; among them, the Kyragem.

This little game felt too far in the third Lands of Lore, where an entire world referred to another Westwood series.

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 17, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I did laugh a little at us barely missing the pitchfork sticking out of the hay bale. But then we were "hurt" anyway.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Chapter 5: Wherein Local Bureaucracy Causes Delays

Music: Morningmist (Tindeck)

Welcome back! Last time, we finally made it out of Darkmoor Swamp and to Morningmist. Why are we here, exactly? I'm not sure, but Zanthia seems to know where she's going, so all is good. Sadly, we lost the assortment of random debris we used to call our inventory in the flight over. Time to start a new collection. That letter looks like a good start.

It's that letter the dragonfly wanted us to deliver. We can also dig around in the haystack and see if anything else made it across with us.

I'm amazed an object made of glass of all things survived that experience, but I'm sure it's going to be useful. We can go down or left from here. Let's go down first.

One man and his pet dragon. Maybe he can help us figure out where we need to go.

Sure. That's where they send most of my mustard crop.
So, do I just follow the yellow-stained road, or what?
Don't get smart with me, young lady.

Aaaah slow down.

All right, all right. Just go through the gate and down to the dock. You can't miss it.
Thank you sir.

Zanthia wants us to get on a boat by the sound of it, and this mustard farmer, or whatever he is, informs us that it's just past some gate. The gate is to the east of where we landed, so let's go check it out.

That's one way of looking at it, but I have a bad feeling about this. Somehow I don't think getting in the city is going to be as trivial as it was made out to be.

Video: Gate Guards (Youtube)

You can't come in.
No pedestrians on Tuesdays.

That's a rather unusual rule.

I don't think today is Tuesday.
You'll have to leave.
No women without goats.

I saw some sheep earlier. Would that do?

So long. See you around.
Nobody's going in today. We're full.

Full? You're a city! I think. How are you full?

Sorry. It's in the manual.
No strangers in groups of one or three.
I'm with the Royal Mystics! I'm on an urgent mission and if you morons don't let me through, the whole country is going to disappear!

Bye bye. Best of luck. Have a nice day.
I can't exchange pleasantries with idiots.

I'm getting Monty Python flashbacks.

Hey you! I'm in a hurry here!

I demand to speak to your superior!
Sorry. We're self employed.

So, in other words, you're not actually guards. You're just two jerks camping out on top of the wall for no reason.

Is there something I can offer you?
Sorry. We're uncorruptable.
Completely honest.

Banging our heads against Dumb and Dumbass here is getting us nowhere. Let's go talk to that farmer again. Maybe he knows how to get past them.

Never go on a picnic with them.
Huh?
They love sandwiches, but won't admit it. They'll eat all yours.
Boy, there's more crime in the country than one would suspect!

Sandwiches, eh? That's a clue. We've got a little bit more dialogue we can squeeze out of this guy, though.

Surely you could get them to open the gates for me.
I don't know. They're pretty strict.
Oh, come on! Doesn't anybody care that Kyrandia is disappearing?
You mystics need to learn to calm down.

Nice sense of civic duty there. At any rate, apparently the "guards" are suckers for sandwiches. It just so happens that we have a little potion for that.

Sounds like what we need is to get our hands on some sandwich ingredients. We need some mustard, ground wheat, lettuce, and cheese. Say, didn't this farmer say he was a mustard farmer? Unfortunately, he won't tell us anything new until we hand over that letter we've been completely forgetting about until now.

That's me. Thanks for the letter.
Aren't you the Mustard King? I'd love to get your secret recipe.
The Greenberry recipe is: Mix ground radish with vinegar. The recipe's been in our family for generations.

I... what? I don't think that's how you make mustard. In fact, doesn't mustard usually contain, y'know, mustard? In Kyrandia, it seems mustard is made from radishes. Okay, fine. We'll play your game. Speaking of vinegar, there's some just sitting there on the shelf. We'll happily steal that.

While we're stealing things, let's have a look in Farmer Greenberry's cellar there.

Aww. Maybe later. There are two exits from this room that we haven't explored yet; west and east. Let's check out what's west of here first. As soon as we leave this location, though...

We get a little intermission!

... starring Marko and the Hand. I wonder what they're up to. By the way, this cutscene plays out exactly the same regardless of whether you rescue Marko from the mutant plants or not, so as far as I can tell, that puzzle is entirely optional. As expected, Marko's place is full of gaudy magician paraphernalia.

I am very disappointed in you!

This is Zanthia's stirring paddle. If you find any more of Zanthia's stolen equipment, return it immediately!

Aww, the Hand looks all sheepish. I'm sure he was just holding it for when we get back from saving the world. He would never knowingly withhold information on our stolen gear.

Anyway, we were going west.

To this location. A waterwheel (which isn't turning, for some reason), some pipes, and a giant stone fist of some kind.

Typical Kyrandia engineering. Why can't anything be just plain regular?

Shut up, the fist is awesome.

The gears must be stuck. Hey! That stick is jamming the gears.

Dislodging the stick makes the waterwheel turn again, kicking the entire mechanism back into gear.

Strange, that looked like a piece of the fishing boat.

I... have no idea what could have caused that. :geno: Actually, it's pretty strange, since it took a dragonride for us to get all the way over here. I'm not entirely sure what they're implying about the relative locations of these two places. Anyway, now that we have the machinery running again, let's carelessly inspect it.

Nonsense, electricity is your friend. :science:

Whoops. Another slightly random death, but at least the game doesn't kill you without warning and at any rate you should know better by now than to neglect to save frequently. The big smashy hand is actually a grinder, but right now we don't have anything to grind, so reluctantly we'll move on to another location. Let's try east of the farmer's hovel.

He was picking up another shipment of mustard.

On the way there, this happens, just in case you hadn't made the connection about the mustard yet.

To the east is the garden, complete with scarecrow and weird... elephant thing. Doesn't every garden have one of those? Hey, hold on, what's that just sitting on the ground? Is that..?

It is! We have our Alchemist's Magnet back! If we ever need to turn lead into gold again, we're covered. Now, this field here could potentially have some lettuce in it, which would go some way towards solving our sandwich conundrum.

Those vegetables have some growing to do before we could eat them. Maybe they just need more water?

The hose doesn't work.

The aardvaphant is a sophisticated watering system, but it doesn't seem to be working. We'll come back to this a little later. We've seen most of the locations on this side of the gate now, though, so we should be able to start solving some puzzles. Ultimately what we'd like to do is get started on that sandwich spell. Now that we've got the grinding mechanism working again, if we could just find some wheat, we'd be 1/4 of the way there. Say, weren't there some fields of gold where we landed? Let's go back there.

Uhh. Hi there.

Hey! What are you?
What does it look like? I'm a ghost! :ghost:

Nope. This episode just got way too spooky. Next time we'll try to muster up the courage to speak with this apparition and see what we can do to placate its no doubt unquenchable thirst for human blood.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 19, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I realize it's an adventure game and therefore operates on adventure game logic, but seeing you get into the nuts and bolts of how to brew a sandwich potion instead of just making a sandwich is sort of surreal.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
At least this way you don't have to bake the bread or chop any of the ingredients.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I just assume this is how everyone makes their sandwiches in Kyrandia. :colbert:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
From what I remember you can't use up your vinegar. Like If you drink it Zanthia must only take a sip because it never empties, and putting it in a potion doesn't use it up either.

It would be nice if more liquids acted like that in this game.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Psion posted:

I realize it's an adventure game and therefore operates on adventure game logic, but seeing you get into the nuts and bolts of how to brew a sandwich potion instead of just making a sandwich is sort of surreal.

I dunno, this is one of those rare games with a female lead. Think it's intentional that the one thing she absolutely refuses to do is go into the kitchen and make a guy a sandwich? :v:

Digging the LPs, Crab. :) Adventure games hold a special place in my heart since playing some of the Sierra games like King's Quest 5 and Robin Hood were one of the things my family did together before our parents got divorced, and I never heard of Kyrandia until now. Maybe it's for the best, I don't think we would've made it through the mazes in the first game, heh.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I just assume this is how everyone makes their sandwiches in Kyrandia. :colbert:

Zanthia posted:

Typical Kyrandia cooking. Why can't anything be just plain regular?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
You should see how the Kyrandians make fish sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Wayne posted:

I dunno, this is one of those rare games with a female lead. Think it's intentional that the one thing she absolutely refuses to do is go into the kitchen and make a guy a sandwich? :v:

That's a good point. Alright, I'm down with sandwich potions now.

• Locked thread