Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
It seems like the weird little tangent the octopus goes on is meant to hint at some connection between a trance state and gullibility, and hence also the skepticism potion, but I agree it's not very coherently presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Go back into the bar and keep drinking root beet and eating taffy. You'll know when to stop. :allears:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tunahead posted:

I always just figured a trance was some kind of mystical quasi-spiritual state rather than regular boring old hypnosis, so force-feeding those dudes skepticism potions would make their minds reject the concept of being in a trance and wake up. :shrug:

When I played through this ages ago, I figured they weren't thinking about what they were doing (or anything else) in a trance, and a skeptic potion made them consider their situation.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
You can also gamble with the gold tooth as it is, and you'll get more gold teeth as your prizes. Then you can smash them all! While trying not to think about why an octopus has a supply of gold teeth handy.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Go back into the bar and keep drinking root beet and eating taffy. You'll know when to stop. :allears:

Yes, definitely do this.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nidoking posted:

You can also gamble with the gold tooth as it is, and you'll get more gold teeth as your prizes. Then you can smash them all! While trying not to think about why an octopus has a supply of gold teeth handy.

Well, he is right next to the bar. :rolleye:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nidoking posted:

Well, presumably he lives in the sea, there could be any amount of old pirates' skeletons with gold teeth down on the sea bed. Compared to some of the other poo poo in the land of Kyrandia, this one is downright logical.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm really enjoying how they added in so many different ways to go around to do the same thing. I don't think I've ever played a game with so many variations to the same puzzle.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It is certainly a fun little game, and I'm surprised I missed it as a kid. Used to love adventuregames and the company's work in particular.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, I like the multiple solutions approach. It's nice when they recognize "hey maybe there's really more than one way to do task x," instead of playing guess exactly how the developers intend you to do something with no way of telling why an alternate approach fails.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
You can also use the orange peel for the sweet component as well.

I had no idea about what happens when you keep eating taffy and root beer. I even tried it a few days ago, I guess I didn't eat enough.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 16, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Ahahah. I had completely forgotten about that, too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

So I hunkered down and started chugging some root beer. Then more root beer, even after the conversation started repeating itself. After ten tankards, which is three loops through, this happens.

So there you have it: You can in fact die from drinking too much root beer or eating too much taffy. :v:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

It's just as gross as I remembered :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Must've been pepsi.

But really, that's great. I especially like the pirates response for some reason.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Is that the only screen you can get that death on?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Deathwind posted:

Is that the only screen you can get that death on?

As far as I can tell, yes. Drinking root beer or eating taffy outside of the pub will just result in the normal green-faced coughing animation.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I suppose the royal mint is just a stone giant punching gold repeatedly until coins drop out?

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Glazius posted:

So I suppose the royal mint is just a stone giant punching gold repeatedly until coins drop out?

Given the kind of setting we're dealing with here, I fear that the royal mint is probably something the cleaning lady leaves on the king's pillow every morning.

The king then feeds them to the seal, presumably.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

I fail to see anything wrong with a stone giant making coins.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Chapter 9: Wherein the Natives have Zanthia for Dinner

Last time, we'd managed to untrance the mustard clerk, scam an octopus, and secure a ticket for a ride on the mustard barge. The ship is in the harbor and we can depart at any time, but before that, I need to correct something I totally spaced on last time. You see, once you've been to the Drunk Dragon Inn and go back out of the city - like we did last time to crush the gold tooth - you get a little cutscene that I forgot to show you.

Faun... Faun... come in, Faun.

Faun is consorting with the swamp monster. I always suspected they were in cahoots.

"You'd better get your butt in gear or I'll..."
Faun. Faun, can you hear me?
Oops. Hi, Zanthia. Did you get the Anchor Stone?
Not yet, but I'm making progress. How's things in Kyrandia?

By the way, I think the game is implying Highmoon is not part of Kyrandia, which I guess explains why nothing seems to be vanishing into thin air here and no one seems to have much respect for the Royal Mystics. The game is (probably deliberately) vague on the geography of the place, and the third game takes us to several locations that are explicitly not Kyrandia.

You'd better hurry.

:ohdear: Oh no, not Darm! I mean, he was pretty useless in the last game, but at least he was occasionally funny.

... and Brynn's Temple just disappeared.
Yikes!
If you don't hurry, you'll be the only Mystic left! Then what will we do?

I'll call you later.

"Later" turns out to be "once you get the barge voucher", which is right now. The two cutscenes are much further apart than my screwup makes it seem. As soon as we set foot outside the mustard store, Zanthia decides it's time to give Faun another call.

Faun... Faun... come in, Faun.

Stay out of our stuff, you little furry pipsqueak! :argh:

Wait till you see what this does to my ears...

Neat, huh? ... Uh oh. Hello, Zanthia.

Who, me?

By the way, have you noticed something strange about these screenshots? During this scene, the fountain has what looks like a lever sticking out of it. My best guess is that that lever was there in an earlier version of the game, and when they removed it, they forgot to go back and edit this background.

Any news from Kyrandia?
Things are getting worse!

Yikes. We'd better get a move on.

What's taking you so long?
It's a rough trip Faun, and I'd better go. Thanks again for your support...

Okay. Call again when you've got some good news.

Phew. All right, where were we? We've got a ticket and could take a ride on the mustard barge right now if we wanted to.

As soon as we untrance the captain, that is.

-Yawn-

I need to get to Volcania.
Sorry, we don't go that way.

Oh, that's right. The mustard barge doesn't actually go to Volcania, it goes to Mustard Island. Volcania is quite some distance off course. Still, the barge is the best shot we've got.

It's a matter of national security!
Get a voucher. Otherwise, don't bother us.
I don't have time to go get a voucher.

Yeah, the conversation here is the same regardless of when you have it. Of course, we already have the voucher in our inventory.

You'll have to talk to the clerk if you want to arrange a group discount.

There isn't anything new to learn from the captain. He's really just there to point you to the mustard clerk. Now, we could just hand over the voucher here and get going, but there's one more suspicious place we haven't visited yet, and one more person we haven't talked to.

This guy! We'd already used up the two flasks of skeptic potion we had, so I skipped over going back to the altar and activating two more flasks of serum. With this, we can untrance the sheriff and see what he has to say.

Not much, as it turns out. But hey, he got out of the way, so we can go inside the... fish... mud... thing.

Oh, of course. Look who it is.

So, how do you like my help so far?

My Hand and I were coming to help you when something hit me on the head and knocked me out. When I woke up, here I was.

My, how dreadful. Whatever ghastly brute knocked Marko out must be very skilled to have also eluded the Hand.

Freeing Marko is, again, completely optional as far as I can tell. But we might as well bail him out... again.

The sheriff likes to throw keys into the water.

That... sounds like perfectly sane behavior.

He's a real crackpot.
What?

Some sort of frontier justice, I guess.

I'm not sure what kind of frontier justice involves throwing keys into the ocean. Besides which, the jail cell seems to be made out of a fish's ribcage, and the bones are so widely spaced I'm pretty sure you could just walk out of there.

At any rate, Marko has suggested we need to fish the key out of the water with a magnet of some kind. We haven't come across any magnets though... we're going to have to make one. Now, how do you make a magnet?

It's simple!

Horseshoe + electricity = horseshoe magnet. Makes perfect sense to me! Going down to the docks and using the magnet on the water gives us...

This lovely little key. Looks like Marko was right. The sheriff is a loon. With this, we should be able to unlock Marko's cell.

It's the cops! Cheese it!

Now what are we going to do?

Well, that's great. Now we're stuck in jail, too. At least the sheriff left the key in the room this time, and we've still got that magnet. Maybe we can just... magnet it back to us.

Nuts. Using the magnet on the key causes the sheriff to come back in, and...

Oh, good. Now not only is the fish in the water, it's also inside a fish. Fish aren't known for going for magnets, and at any rate the window is out of reach. I mean, I still think we could just walk out of here if we wanted to, but let's do it properly. The answer here is kind of obtuse, and stumped me for a long time as a kid. See that little... carpet, I guess, at the back of our cell?

At first, it just looks like a normal background object. You can click it again and get a different line, though.

The threads are coming out...

Clicking it a third time...

... and Zanthia unravels it. So now we've got some thread, all we need is a...

Yeah, one of those. Why do you have a hook, anyway, Marko?

It's kind of hard to tell, but we've made a fishing rig. We can use it on the window to try and catch that fish.

I'll try to catch that fish...

All right, we got the key back! The sheriff is busy doing who knows what now and won't interrupt us any further, letting us free ourselves and Marko.

Thanks.

As much as usual.
I'm going to go find my hand. We'll be back to help you.

Please don't.

We used the magnet to get out of jail this time - what if we didn't have it? It's possible to just leave it on the ground after you fish out the key. In that case, you can just pick up the makeshift fishing gear and use that on the key, and the same scene will play out. The only real difference is that doing it with a magnet makes a little "bzzt" sound. Let's get out of here.

Uh, yeah, uncanny that. All right, with all that out of the way, it's finally time to get on that boat. All we have to do is hand the voucher over to the ship's captain.

What are you waiting for?

Off we go!

Ah, smell that salty ocean brine. We're well on our way to... Mustard Island, unfortunately. We need to go to Volcania, though. Maybe we can convince the captain otherwise?

I guess you took the wrong tour then.

Sadly, the captain is implacable, and the deckhands won't talk to us.

We're all in big trouble!
I don't see the problem.
Rock by rock, and tree by tree, Kyrandia is disappearing!

You'll remember that line straight from the intro.

Sorry, you'll have to take that up with the Royal Mystics.
ARRGH!

Nothing you say can change the captain's mind, alas. After about a minute of sailing, the barge arrives at Mustard Island.

Mustard everywhere!

Somebody sure is serious about their condiments. So this is Mustard Island, and it's festooned with cannibals, or so the sign warns.

There's nothing much to do on this screen, but you can leave southwards.

Which gets you this politically sensitive little scene. Zanthia's in hot water - literally. You still have control here, but...

You don't really even get a neat death animation here. You just lose.

Let's reload the save we conveniently made back on the ship and see what we can do.

Fast-talking the captain is a no-go. You'll notice, though, that the captain isn't actually steering the boat. The ship's wheel turns by itself, and that big thing in the middle looks like it could be a compass. Perhaps we can... alter the ship's course ourselves.

Hidden safely away.

Thank goodness for the autopilot.

Hiding a magnet in the coils of rope next to the compass will trick it into thinking we're off course - note how it thinks we're heading east, rather than north. As a result, the autopilot overcompensates, steering is much farther towards the west than originally intended...

No problem. We're still miles from that cursed island.

That is a pretty spooky island. Are we sure we want to go there?

Wait a minute! Volcania! How could this have happened!?

Oh, uh, well, no reason. Definitely not tampering with the compass.

Good riddance!

RIP Za... actually, no, this is what we wanted! Zanthia briskly swims towards Volcania and drags herself ashore.

That's better.

This is not one of the beaches in the travel brochures.

We did it! We made it to Volcania, and boy howdy, is this a dreary-looking place.

Hey! All my stuff is gone again!

And once again, our inventory has been emptied out, save for the Alchemist's Magnet. Once again, a welcome improvement from the previous game. There's no way to accidentally leave a critical item behind in this one. Next time, we'll take a stroll around the sunny beaches of Volcania and see what we can find.

---

Next update is going to be a little bit late, folks, what with the holidays and all.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Which gets you this politically sensitive little scene. Zanthia's in hot water - literally. You still have control here, but...

IIRC, you can give the chief a sandwich and he let's you go free.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Yeah, you can escape from the cannibals with a sandwich, if you've got an extra. Good thing the default dosage makes more than one!

You can also hide the magnet in the pot on the other side of the compass, but rather than going to some fourth place, the captain will just notice what you've done and make you take the magnet back. Might have been funny to see the ship sail off the edge of the world or something.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Nidoking posted:

You can also hide the magnet in the pot on the other side of the compass, but rather than going to some fourth place, the captain will just notice what you've done and make you take the magnet back. Might have been funny to see the ship sail off the edge of the world or something.

If the map is any judge, it would just send you crashing into the shore Highmoon sits on.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

TapamN posted:

IIRC, you can give the chief a sandwich and he let's you go free.

If you don't get cannibalized, what happens then, considering that you're still on the wrong island?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

If you don't get cannibalized, what happens then, considering that you're still on the wrong island?

You get back on the ship and have another chance at the puzzle.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I'm kind of disappointed that Zanthia didn't get stuck doing this part of the game in a dressing robe and with a towel wrapped around her head, it would seem to about fit the goofiness of the game.

Edit: Also how was she contacting Faun? Does she have a cell phone? Is she a telepath?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, seems like they learned from the reaction to the last game. Nice to be out of dead-man-walking scenarios.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Oh dear, Volcania was absolutely, IMHO, the worst part of the game, in the sense of most annoying, because of those continuous runaround along the coast and the creepy vendors .

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Volcania, the beating heart of the red herring puzzles that are scattered throughout all of the Kyrandia games.
And you can definitely escape the cannibals with a sandwich. Don't forget to wave the alchemists magnet at him too.

Also I noticed a small mistake in the text below the fish eating the key screenshot. You said the fish is now not only in the water, its also inside a fish.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I have solved the mustery mystery! Faun is the culprit! It's small enough to slip through hands fingers and it wants Zanthias crap. There is no way the hand is guilty.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Now that the LP archive is updating again, the first game was added :)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Chapter 10: Wherein Zanthia Journeys to the Center of the Earth

Hoo, boy, it sure has been a while. Apologies for the delay - the holidays collided with some other things, and, well, you don't care, because we've got stuff to do in the magical old land of Kyrandia!

This is where we left off, on the sandy - er, sunny? Hot. Let's go with hot - beach of Volcania, an ominous-looking island off the coast of Highmoon. We suspect we may find the entrance to the center of the earth here, and ultimately, the anchorstone that will save Kyrandia from disappearing into the void. Or, at least, that's the plan. What's more, we lost all our inventory again, though we've retained the Alchemist's Magnet.

What a lousy knapsack.

Well, let's have a look around. Volcania is, as you can see, a pretty desolate place. The game calls it a "Beach", but this particular location is mostly just weird purple rock, miscellaneous molluscs, a worrying pool of lava and what looks like a hot steam vent. That vent looks interesting. Maybe we can just, y'know, jump down?

Oh well. At least it didn't kill us. In that case, let's continue onward to the right.

More of the same here. Weird rocks, pointless aquatic life, more lava.

The lava is actually not immediately lethal, which is kind of funny considering how quickly everything else in this game will kill you. Stand around for a few seconds in it, though, and...

Smokin'. Other than burning ourselves to a crisp, there is nothing to accomplish here, so let's keep walking.

Oh, hello. This is different. An old man, a sleeping old lady, and what could be a very promising door to the underworld. But first, let's pick up that flask. It's probably ours anyway.

Let's take the rock, too, for good measure.

Now then, let's have a conversation with this odd pair. Maybe they can help us get to the center of the world?

Take this promotional pen.

That's nice, but the word "promotional" is kind of worrying. People who use that word tend to want to sell you something, and we're out of money.

... our map to The Altar at the Center of the World.

Augghh I knew it. On the upside, it looks like we're in the right place. Also, sand dollars? Kudos on the pun, but as an aside: When I first played this game in my younger years, I had no idea what they meant by "sand dollars", because that's not what the animal is called in my native language. Of course, the game will tell you once you start poking them, anyway. Looks like they've got an invertebrate-based economy going here on Volcania, which is pretty weird but we're not choosy about how we're getting this job done. We'll keep in mind that we need six sand dollars while we keep exploring the place.

The old man has nothing interesting to contribute.

The next location is more of the same. Rocks, steam vents, lava.

So is the next one.

That's a lot of lava. How is that starfish not broiled by now?

There's no end in sight. More stretches of beach, more marine wildlife, and more lava.

Speaking of which, for some reason the pathfinding thinks it's a great idea to march straight across the pool of molten rock rather than take the safer, more circuitous route. Part of me thinks the only reason the lava isn't instant death is because they couldn't be arsed to fix this.

Oh, hello. This is different.

"Department of Anchor Guidance."

Looks like mom and pop back there have some competition. Personally, I think that guy looks pretty creepy, though. Like some kind of bureaucrat, or possibly vampire Hitler. So yeah, a bureaucrat.

For our pamphlet describing The Altar at the Center of the World.

Of course there is. So, this guy wants seashells rather than sand dollars, but the deal is mostly the same. We'll keep that in mind too.

The next room is just more Volcania. Volcania is not an interesting place.

No lava here.

The lava is back. Credit where credit is due, though; the featureless forest area in the first game re-used its backgrounds several times over, but each room in this game is unique.

The geology and fauna here is pretty weird.

All that smoke can't be good for your health, either. Probably chock full of sulfur and ash.

Oh, hey, another guy, and another door. What are the odds this guy is going to try to sell us something, too?

I love how absurdly excited this guy looks. He reminds me a bit of Marko.

Nice. Finally someone who won't charge us right off the bat.

There is a small two starfish charge, of course.

:sigh: Well, two starfish sounds pretty cheap, I guess. Who knows with this crazy economy of yours.

The next location is even more "beach".

We've almost looped back to where we started now. Immediately to the right is the location where we washed ashore. Hey, what's that down by the water that isn't a disgusting marine echinoderm?

I think he is. We'll grab the stick and that rock, too, for good measure. Okay, so we've seen everything the island has to offer - besides rocks, steam and lava, there are three people promising they can help us reach the center of the world. Personally, I think if you want quality service, you've gotta pay for it, so we'll be supporting the good old mom-and-pop business even though it costs extra. There's plenty of sand dollars to be picked up along the beach, so it's just a matter of walking around until you have enough.

While consorting with shellfish and other lowlives, we run across this colorful character out of the blue.

My name is Zanthia. I'm here from Kyrandia.

Pleased to meet you.

Looks like another poor sucker who got roped into doing field duty for the local pile of wizards.

Rain of frogs. Happens every summer. Disgusting, really.

Yeech!

Yeah, ew.

Found the path yet?

I would want to leave as fast as I could, too. That's all Jessica has to say to us at the moment, so let's continue our shell collection.

A little while later we run into her again.

Vents and rocks. The head mystic back home said I was supposed to do something with rocks and vents... but I had no idea this is what he meant.

That's a clue for later. Right now, we've got an ecosystem to gently caress with.

A little while later, we've collected all the sand dollars we need. This map better be good!

Congratulations!

First step?

Now, in order to actually register you for an Anchor Stone...

Lousy surcharges. Well, all right then... I guess I trust you guys. I mean you are an elderly mom-and-pop type couple and I'm sure you wouldn't try to pull anything.

A few minutes later, the additional fee has been paid, and...

You are almost ready!

Almost?

I... but... okay. In for a penny, in for a weird invertebrate, I guess. But this better be worth it!

All right, babushka, spill the beans. I know you have a door to the center of the world behind you there. Let me in.

That's just great. Now tell me, how do I get down and get one of those anchor stones?

For the actual trip down to the center of the world...

Aughh not more fees

What. That's it? But. Guys, I think that parrot might've been trying to warn us about this all along. What's more, we tried jumping down that vent earlier and it didn't work. What did we do wrong? Well, the simple answer is that we're just too light and will just get blown away by the steam. Or at least, we were - unwittingly, we have already collected the key to making it down to the center of the world.

Specifically, keys. Those two rocks are all we need, and all we ever needed. With a little extra junk in our trunk, we're heavy enough to just... jump down the vent. We could've gone to collect the rocks from the very moment we set foot on Volcania.

Before we go, though, there are two more things to show off. First, it's time for some girl talk with Jessica!

Of all the people to have the hots for, you choose Brandon?

Is your hat in the ring?

Brandon! Ha! A little young for my tastes.

We're never actually told how old Zanthia is, but if you'll recall, she did make a reference in the first game to having changed Brandon's diapers. I guess that's the kind of thing that can put a damper on the romantic tension, unless you're into that sort of thing. I'm not judging.

One of the famous Royal Mystics?

The royal mystics collectively consist of Zanthia, Darm, Brynn and Brandywine. Which one of these exactly are you implying Zanthia might be into?

Naw.

Wait, Marko is your boyfriend now? When did that happen? Unless you mean Faun, which... ew.

What do you mean, your boyfriend is acting weird?

He's not my boyfriend. Just sort of, you know.

Ah, a secret romance. How very sweet.

This exchange is pretty weird. Zanthia has not expressed any affection towards Marko so far throughout the game, but she's unwilling to outright deny having anything going on with him in this conversation. Is the game trying to, uh, imply something here..?

Please. So, you might have noticed we haven't brewed up a potion yet this update. There is in fact a potion you can make in this location. Sadly, that potion is entirely useless and just seems to be there as a red herring, but we'll make it anyhow to show it off. First, we need to talk to the slick salesman who waved that pamphlet at us.

Give him the starfish he asked for, and he'll give you the pamphlet - and, like the other frauds, ask for more marine animals for further service. This item is called a "leather folio" in your inventory. Does that sound familiar?

The "Shoes, Flying" spell requires red leather, a feather, and some hot air. The leather folio is nice and red, and that quill we got could qualify as a feather of snipe in a pinch. There is plenty of hot air coming out of the steam vents, and the game even gave us a bottle to capture it with. A little mixing later, and...

Voila. Shoes in a bottle. Just like the sandwich spell, we can liberate the flying shoes by using the bottle on Zanthia.

Using the shoes on Zanthia again lets you wear the shoes.

Unfortunately, all it does is change her sprite and walk animation. She doesn't even bob gently in the air or anything. It's also actually counter-productive for getting to the center of the world, as the game won't let you enter the steam vent while wearing the shoes regardless of how many rocks you're carrying.

Speaking of which, it's time to blow this joint. All we need to do is have two heavy stones in our inventory and not be wearing the winged shoes. Click on the steam vent, and...

This looks like a totally safe mode of transportation! Where will we end up? Have we finally reached the center of the world? Will we find the anchor stone we've been so desperately searching for? Find out next time.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 4, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That cliffhanger! :argh:

Glad this is back. I like game design like this, where the solution for a puzzle is available early, but only if you know what you have to do.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sweet it's ba...

COMBOVER ALERT! The most disgusting of hairstyles. :gonk:

This was a rather amusing non-puzzle update. :)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, that's a great "puzzle."

What happens if you just pick up the rocks and try the vent again as soon as you've got them, though? Can you skip this entire area and all the goofiness?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

PurpleXVI posted:

What happens if you just pick up the rocks and try the vent again as soon as you've got them, though? Can you skip this entire area and all the goofiness?

yes

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Yep. The entire island of Volcania is essentially just a huge red herring. Truth be told, the game gets kind of strange with its puzzles in this area and the next. We're past the midway point now.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
By the way, did you have a report about what the alchemical magnet reveals about the strange peoples that prowl this forsaken island?
I expecially loathe the combover one : it gives me a sort of Stan (Monkey Island) feeling.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I find Volcania to be a perfect representation of the puzzle design for the entire Kyrandia series. Its just one giant red herring and wild goose chase. What is it with these games and red herrings? Sometimes the games just boil down to sifting out the regular herrings from the red ones.

The flying shoes do have one use by the way, they allow you to walk on the lava without dying. Not terribly useful seeing as you can finish the map in two seconds, but there you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Rain of frogs. Happens every summer. Disgusting, really.

Yeech!

Yeah, ew.

Found the path yet?

Ah... isn't Zanthia's icon supposed to be red?

• Locked thread