Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Harlock posted:

A preview of his range at shortstop next year:

Showing more range than Jeter did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Cowboys... past a diving A-Rod? Truly he'll continue 2's legacy.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Harlock posted:

A preview of his range at third next year:

Is "Past a shuffling A-Rod" a thing yet?

Edit - yeah. Beaten in a sense by hours.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Taijuan Walker asked , and was granted, an early end to his AFL stint. Sounds like it's due to his breakup with Angela Rypien. Poor guy :smith:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Haha what the gently caress there's a lingerie football league?

:ughh:

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Is she related to Mark Rypien?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Harlock posted:

A preview of his range at third next year:

A fun fact I did not know about this. 10 years to the day of when A-Rod did the hand slap.

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Is she related to Mark Rypien?

His daughter

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Matheny and Mozeliak had a meeting with the press said that Jay has had an injuried wrist since the middle of the season, but he would be the starting center fielder, The reporter said they were looking to move Choate because his role is specialized. Well gee someone tell Mike Matheny that because he sure let him pitch to a shitload of righties while hes been in st. louis. Carlos Martinez is looked at as late inning relief. and that Taveras and Girchuk would compete for starting rf in spring but im sure we all know how thats going to go. They also might look at a right handed bat for the bench/1b, maybe.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
They are literally trading Randy Choate because Matheny is too dumb to use him right.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Even though it is the easiest thing in the dang world to figure out. Let him to pitch to one good left handed dude a game. That's it.

Teach Holliday to play first base, it can't be that hard.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It baffles me how many managers can't figure out what a Loogy is for.

Phil Coke throwing batting practice to righties always made me happy.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I truely believe Holliday would be a disaster at first base.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Now that I think about it Jerry Blevins was pitching to righties a lot of the times I remember him messing up this past season.

The Matt Williams bullpen experience begins anew.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scob posted:

I truely believe Holliday would be a disaster at first base.

I dunno, he was mobile enough to be a good outfielder at one point and it's the easiest place to play. And if he is whatever it's first base.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Holliday to 1st is such an obviously smart move that I've gotta figure he's incapable of playing there or it would've happened by now.

Holliday is a terrible defensive outfielder and only going to get worse as he gets older.

Matt Adams is a good defensive infielder who cannot hit lefties at all (except in curiously high profile situations against top 10 MLB pitchers for some reason.)

Randal Grichuk's MiLB profile has him as a dude who hits lefties well, AND he is a good defensive outfielder.

Playing Grichuk in left (good defense!) and Holliday at 1st (lovely defense, but good bat!) vs. LHP makes all the sense in the world and also gives the Cards legit lefthanded pop off the bench.

Also I think Jay's wrist injury made him better somehow. Please still be good, Jon Jay!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

Haha what the gently caress there's a lingerie football league?

:ughh:

It's been around for over a decade

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FairGame posted:

Holliday to 1st is such an obviously smart move that I've gotta figure he's incapable of playing there or it would've happened by now.

I just assume Matheny has never thought to try it or doesn't want to get Holliday out of his comfort zone or something goofy like that.

I mean he might suck at it but how bad could it really be?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FairGame posted:

Holliday is a terrible defensive outfielder and only going to get worse as he gets older.

Matt Adams is a good defensive infielder who cannot hit lefties at all (except in curiously high profile situations against top 10 MLB pitchers for some reason.)

Randal Grichuk's MiLB profile has him as a dude who hits lefties well, AND he is a good defensive outfielder.

Playing Grichuk in left (good defense!) and Holliday at 1st (lovely defense, but good bat!) vs. LHP makes all the sense in the world and also gives the Cards legit lefthanded pop off the bench.

Also I think Jay's wrist injury made him better somehow. Please still be good, Jon Jay!

I think teams/managers all over the place are reluctant to convert formerly good (or "good") outfielders to first base. There were folks in the press and all over the internet calling for the Brewers to put Ryan Braun at 1st and put Parra in the outfield full time after that trade, but they wouldn't do it because "Ryan is an outfielder" and "Mark is our guy at first base."

Ryan Braun is constantly hurt and putting him somewhere where he doesn't have to run around much can only be good. If loving Corey Hart can do it, c'mon.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

I just assume Matheny has never thought to try it or doesn't want to get Holliday out of his comfort zone or something goofy like that.

I mean he might suck at it but how bad could it really be?

First base is where catchers go to play once their knees tell them that, no, sir, we are not catching another game. It's usually where you put a good-hitting, but defensively questionable, position player.

Maybe it's a speed or a reflex thing? Good first basemen can react very quickly to take away hits. There's a difference between getting a good jump on a fly ball to deep left and knocking down a bullet fired from 90 feet away.

Or, maybe he just sucks at it. Like, really sucks.

More than likely, though, it's something like this: if you move Holliday to 1st, where do you put Adams? In the outfield? Yeah, nobody'd be bitching at Matheny after the inevitable results of that choice. Or do you platoon Holliday and Adams? Or do you give up on Adams and look for an impact bat in the outfield?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tarlibone posted:

It's usually where you put a good-hitting, but defensively questionable, position player.

Like Matt Holliday

quote:

Or do you platoon Holliday and Adams?

yes

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I think Holliday would have like a .750 fielding percentage at first. Micheal Cuddyer is a guy id like to see the cards sign if he could play first/corner/bench bat, but he will probably get a two year deal somewhere.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scob posted:

I think Holliday would have like a .750 fielding percentage at first. Micheal Cuddyer is a guy id like to see the cards sign if he could play first/corner/bench bat, but he will probably get a two year deal somewhere.

Cuddyer just won a batting title. He will make shitloads from someone, long term.

Had Michael Morse not come back for the Giants, he's the guy I would've wanted signed because I think he could've been had on a one-year deal.

Now that he's a ~playoff hero~, though...he's probably looking like 2/18 at worst.

A shame, too. Now the Cards will have to go after like...the corpse of Corey Hart or something.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think the MLBTR prediction for Cuddyer is like 22/2 or something. Keep in mind he played 1/3 of a season this year and teams will use that as leverage in negotiating.

regfairfield
May 22, 2005
Cuddyer is gonna be 36, missed most of last season, is a corner guy with no defensive value and while he's hit the crap out of the ball the last two years it's right to be suspicious of a guy that gets way better in Colorado. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a hard time finding a job if he takes a QO.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

regfairfield posted:

Cuddyer is gonna be 36, missed most of last season, is a corner guy with no defensive value and while he's hit the crap out of the ball the last two years it's right to be suspicious of a guy that gets way better in Colorado. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a hard time finding a job if he takes a QO.

Carlos Beltran got 45 million over 3 years, has a history of health issues, and is more atrocious (due to those health issues) at fielding than Cuddyer.

Lance Berkman missed basically an entire season with the Cardinals in 2012, was awful at fielding in 2011, and still got 8 digits from the Rangers.

Granted, both Beltran and Berkman are better hitters (and borderline HoFers) than Cuddyer, but if you can hit, you will get paid.

Unless you did PEDs. Then you get paid at a bargain rate like Nelson Cruz or Jhonny Peralta.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

FairGame posted:

Carlos Beltran got 45 million over 3 years, has a history of health issues, and is more atrocious (due to those health issues) at fielding than Cuddyer.

Lance Berkman missed basically an entire season with the Cardinals in 2012, was awful at fielding in 2011, and still got 8 digits from the Rangers.

Granted, both Beltran and Berkman are better hitters (and borderline HoFers) than Cuddyer, but if you can hit, you will get paid.

Unless you did PEDs. Then you get paid at a bargain rate like Nelson Cruz or Jhonny Peralta.

Peralta got 4/53 though? I mean it's not insane money but you really shouldn't put him in the same class of bargain as Cruz.

fe: which is not to say I disagree with your overall point one bit

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Peralta got 4/53 though? I mean it's not insane money but you really shouldn't put him in the same class of bargain as Cruz.

fe: which is not to say I disagree with your overall point one bit

A shortstop with Peralta's offensive profile and health history could be reasonably expected to make far more than what Peralta ended up getting from the Cardinals. Especially because he didn't have a draft pick hanging over his head, if I recall.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

This is the wrong thread! Go Royals I guess!

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 21, 2014

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
N:

AL Sporting News Manager of the Year Voting:

Mike Scioscia - 6
Buck Showalter - 5
Lloyd McClendon - 3

NL Sporting News Manager of the Year Voting:

Matt Williams - 4
Mike Matheny - 2
Mike Redmond - 1

V: Scioscia over Showalter? Wow.
Matheny 2nd in the NL? :laffo:
Needs more Ned Yost anyway.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014-10-21/mlb-awards-2014-manager-of-the-year-mike-scioscia-matt-williams

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Jose Reyes displaying the rare Seventh Tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5zVS8XGCEk&t=106s

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Beyond the Boxscore simulated the playoffs with the worst teams in each division plus the next two worst teams in each league as the wild card game.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/10/21/7017083/under-world-series-reds-twins-cueto

The Cubs lose the underworld NLCS in 7 games. Can't even get into a fake world series. :suicide:

It's just kind of weird to consider a playoff series involving the Astros, Cubs or Twins. Every other team has been relevant somewhat recently (I guess the Twins aren't that far removed from 2010).

regfairfield posted:

I'm just sorry Cruz is getting a QO because it may have been fun to see him hit dingers in Colorado and try to play in that outfield.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 21, 2014

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Chexoid posted:

Jose Reyes displaying the rare Seventh Tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5zVS8XGCEk&t=106s

I loved it when his walk up music was his own verse in his own song.

The worst tragedy of the 2007-2009 Mets was that we never got a Lastings Milledge/Jose Reyes music collaboration.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 21, 2014

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

tadashi posted:

Beyond the Boxscore simulated the playoffs with the worst teams in each division plus the next two worst teams in each league as the wild card game.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/10/21/7017083/under-world-series-reds-twins-cueto

The Cubs lose the underworld NLCS in 7 games. Can't even get into a fake world series. :suicide:

What kind of dummy does a piece like this where the teams advance by winning games instead of losing them

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

spanky69 posted:

AL Sporting News Manager of the Year Voting:

Good on that Matt Williams for valuing hustle and not cowtowing to the hype machine.

Good on that Mike Scioscia that his front office signed all those guys that hit all those baseballs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Harper thing was really dumb but Matt Williams did a good job overall and got way better as the year went on.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

MourningView posted:

The Harper thing was really dumb but Matt Williams did a good job overall and got way better as the year went on.

I disagree. He really had no idea how to use his bullpen (let Soriano repeatedly die, abused Storen early, inexplicably let Jerry Blevins face RHB in equal proportions to LHB despite a .800/.400 OPS split) and then there was the massive fuckup in NLDS Game 2.

I won't hold the "kept trotting Ryan Zimmerman out at 3b until Zimmerman's injury mercifully ended things" problem against him. I'm not sure if he's smart enough to know Rendon at 3rd is the better choice or not, but given that Zimmerman's been the face of the franchise it's always struck me as more of a "Yes we KNOW but we can't move him for the same reason Derek Jeter is still shortstopping the Yankees" kind of thing.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Zimmerman is moving to first. It's likely Nats are not going to go for Adam LaRoche's mutual option.

They put him in LF last year when Harper was hurt.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pastrymancy posted:

Zimmerman is moving to first. It's likely Nats are not going to go for Adam LaRoche's mutual option.

They put him in LF last year when Harper was hurt.

This is the smartest thing they've done in a while.

Also, today is Zack Greinke's birthday. Happy birthday, goon.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

davecrazy posted:

I loved it when his walk up music was his own verse in his own song.

The worst tragedy of the 2007-2009 Mets was that we never got a Lastings Milledge/Jose Reyes music collaboration.

I was such a happy Mets fan in 2007. I was so excited for Lastings Milledge to get called up that I taped his debut, sure it'd be a memento I'd treasure for years and years. I'm the biggest idiot ever.

• Locked thread