Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Talk about your non-playoff team news here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Yankees might move A-rod to 1st.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...ase-next-season

quote:

Alex Rodriguez will arrive at spring training with some new luggage -- a first base mitt.

New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi recently spoke to Rodriguez about picking up first base so he can be a backup to Mark Teixeira, according to general manager Brian Cashman.

Rodriguez, who will return next season from a one-year suspension, still is expected to primarily play third base and designated hitter.

Cashman also said he plans on having contingency plans at third in case Rodriguez -- who has had two hip surgeries -- can't stay on the field.

"I don't think it's safe to assume that he can play third base," Cashman said. "With his age and missing a full year, you have to have some perspective. This is a very difficult game. Alex is up for that challenge, but I think it's safer to assume that might not be something that he can handle the whole year."

In other NY baseball news, instead of spending money to get some legit power bats, the Mets are moving the walls in at CitiField yet again.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/95738/burning-questions-why-move-walls-again

quote:

For the third time since Citi Field debuted in 2009, the Mets intend to reconfigure the dimensions to make the ballpark more hitter-friendly.

As the season concluded, Sandy Alderson acknowledged changes to the walls in center and right-center were “likely.” A team official reiterated to ESPNNewYork.com on Wednesday that those remodeling intentions remain, although construction is not yet underway and the official would not say the precise change in dimensions.

And never forget, the Wilpons are the worst owners in baseball and Bud Selig actively protects them.

http://thereadzone.com/2014/10/07/the-mets-are-on-the-verge-of-on-field-respectability-but-ownership-cannot-be-forgiven/

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 11, 2014

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'll always love you Colby...

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Korean shortstop Jung-Ho Kang will be posted in November. Kang had a monster year in 2014, hitting 38 dingers, 2nd most in the Korean league, and he'll be 28 next year. Here's a scouting report from some dude on SBNation:

quote:

So, what kind of player is Jung-Ho Kang?

He stands very upright at the plate, and employs a very pronounced leg kick. He's obviously made it work for him thus far in his professional career, but Kang holds the pose, so to speak, longer than most players who use leg kicks, leaving him literally standing on one leg as the pitcher delivers the ball. In the KBO, where fastball velocities are slower and pitchers generally rely more on physical deception and pitch movement, this might help get his body in position to better attack the ball; in MLB, I can't help but think that pitchers would exploit his weird posture by beating him with pitches to which he can't catch up.

Defensively, Kang has quick reactions. His arm is generally decent enough to get the job done, and he makes up for any missing zip on his throws with good range and agility to his left and right. He is able to get to balls to the right (his left) of the second base bag and to the deep shortstop hole with equal ability. He loses some zip on his throw from deep in the hole, but such throws are generally sufficient to get slower baserunners out. If he shows no issues playing shortstop in MLB, he should be at least an average defensive player. At 6 feet and roughly 210 pounds, there should be no concerns about him being "too big" for the position.

The writer also points out that offense is way up in the KBO this year due to a new official baseball, so take this guy's career year with a grain of salt, but as a power hitting middle infielder, he could still get big bucks. Lots of teams need a shortstop.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

There were rumors the cards were hot on kang last offseason, if that is still the case im not sure.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Whoever signs him may as well just throw money down a black hole.

e: or trade for Edwin Jackson

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ
MLB Trade Rumors on Kang https://twitter.com/timdierkes/status/521423529787789312

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

A true heir to Jeets.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
N: The Brewers fired their 1st base coach and hitting coach.

V: It seems to me that this wasn't remotely the problem with the team. The real problems are:

1: Ron Roenicke is stupid. He leaves struggling pitchers out too long, and he refuses to comprehend a platoon. He managed Weeks/Gennett as a strict platoon for the most part, but he absolutely refused to treat Overbay and Reynolds as a platoon. Reynolds started every day against right-handed pitching despite a horrifying BA and K rate because, in Roenicke's words, "Overbay is better off of the bench".

He also refused to bench Ryan Braun a number of times and it actively hurt the team. Braun struggled with injury all year and there were times where he was clearly just not seeing the ball for multiple week stretches. Roenicke just left him out there to strike out in a number of must hit situations, even after the GM went and got a good OF option off the bench in Gerardo Parra.

I still believe the crew can be good next year, but it's going to require Melvin to build a roster that Roenicke can't possibly be stupid with. They need to put a genuinely good hitter at first so Ron can't make stupid platoon choices. They need to send Segura to winter ball to fix his swing so Ron doesn't have to make the hard choice between "letting him figure it out" or putting Elian Herrera out there. Elian probably should have been the guy at SS against all RHP this year, but whatever.

2: I don't think Doug Melvin is a good enough GM to actually build a roster that's manager-proof. He likes to make small "we tried" moves when the team shows signs of success, but they just don't aggressively go after guys to fix the holes in the roster. Jonathan Broxton was a good get, but kinda worthless when the team's problem down the stretch was that they were scoring next to no runs.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

D Backs are hiring Chip Hale as their manager.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

davecrazy posted:

The Yankees might move A-rod to 1st.
I'm actually kind of impressed they didn't release him in accordance with the witch hunts being handed down by Selig.

Is A-Rod in a "all is forgiven" situation, provided he hits 300 with 30 dingers? And he's absolutely no-doubter 1st-ballot HoF right? That kid... is inhuman.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

If he goes .250 and hits 15 he's had an amazing year.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Everblight posted:

I'm actually kind of impressed they didn't release him in accordance with the witch hunts being handed down by Selig.

Is A-Rod in a "all is forgiven" situation, provided he hits 300 with 30 dingers? And he's absolutely no-doubter 1st-ballot HoF right? That kid... is inhuman.

He's loving 40

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I hope he hits a million goddamn dingers and rounds the bases with both middle fingers up in the air every loving time.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Everblight posted:

1. He's not a kid. He's 40 and hasn't played in a year.

2. Even before his suspension he got hurt a ton.

3. 30 dingers is really, really hard to do in today's run environment, let alone for a 40 year old infielder in steep decline

4. He's never getting voted in by the writers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Also, let's not forget that A-Rod tried every single legal maneuver (and possibly some less-than-legal shenanigans) he could to stay out of trouble in the first place. After his arbitration ended with him being suspended for a whole season, he decided to try and sue the MLBPA or MLB or whoever it was. Maybe both. And this was crazy, because the arbitration was something he was contractually bound to abide by. But he sued anyway, because... well, I don't know why. It was pretty ridiculous.

If the Yankees were to just try to release him now, who here thinks he'd just accept that and move on with his life?

I think the Yankees don't want that kind of trouble, not so close to St. Jeter's recent retirement. Sure, they'd probably win in the end, but it'd be a waste of money, it'd do nothing positive for their brand, and there's a small chance they would lose. They probably figure, as Zakharov has pointed out, that with a 40-year-old guy who hasn't played in a year and who was in decline anyway, the whole A-Rod situation will... take care of itself.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If they move A-Rod to first, what will they do with Tex? Alternate DH him with Beltran?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

tarlibone posted:

Also, let's not forget that A-Rod tried every single legal maneuver (and possibly some less-than-legal shenanigans)

Yeah there was a ton of illegal shenanigans going on during this whole saga, except they weren't from ARod's camp.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Chicago Cubs Off-season Champs every year! :woop:

Hitting coach Bill Mueller stepping down, which is a real loss since they were 9th in OPS and 12th in runs scored.

Seriously though all this talk of dingers has me pretty pumped for Kris Bryant.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

tarlibone posted:

Also, let's not forget that A-Rod tried every single legal maneuver (and possibly some less-than-legal shenanigans) he could to stay out of trouble in the first place. After his arbitration ended with him being suspended for a whole season, he decided to try and sue the MLBPA or MLB or whoever it was. Maybe both. And this was crazy, because the arbitration was something he was contractually bound to abide by. But he sued anyway, because... well, I don't know why. It was pretty ridiculous.

This is precisely 100% backwards.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It is correct the A-Rod sued to be reinstated, and then dropped his lawsuit. The rest of it is a pile of crap.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Badfinger posted:

This is precisely 100% backwards.

... so MLB and the MLBPA sued A-Rod because they wanted him to play and he demanded to remain suspended?

Wow. Well, I don't really follow the Yankees, so I guess I'll take your word for it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Tigers are keeping Brad Ausmus because he is going to grow into the position or something.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
So Mark Mulder's gonna attempt another comeback next year

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

tarlibone posted:

... so MLB and the MLBPA sued A-Rod because they wanted him to play and he demanded to remain suspended?

Wow. Well, I don't really follow the Yankees, so I guess I'll take your word for it.

Your framing of his situation is completely incorrect. People who are actually lawyers (Craig Calcaterra) suggested that his legal team would basically be negligent if they didn't bring a suit against the MLBPA.

Also MLB did what appears to be a fuckload of illegal poo poo, which apparently ended up with ARod being painted as the one doing illegal poo poo by people like you.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

It's hard to blame a lot people for getting it backwards because the coverage of it outside of a few websites have been a bunch of Selig puff pieces.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

davecrazy posted:

D Backs are hiring Chip Hale as their manager.

Reminder - Chip Hale hit this ball: http://m.mlb.com/video/v13110567/

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Does anybody have the link to that article where MLB Investigators, who have like no legal authority to do, well...anything...instead threatened and detained some dudes?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Is it this one? http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/08/12/mlb-gambling-facebook-game-fixing

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah, that's the one!

Also, are the Dodgers really shopping Yasiel Puig? Because that would be very stupid.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
N: Marc Topkin ‏@TBTimes_Rays 14m14 minutes ago
BREAKING: Andrew Friedman is leaving #Rays for #Dodgers. Matt Silverman will take over Rays baseball operations.

V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUHDYlJHaOQ

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Friedman with money. We're all hosed.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

FairGame posted:

Also, are the Dodgers really shopping Yasiel Puig? Because that would be very stupid.

If this is true please let him get picked up by St. Louis.

E: That or Arizona.

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 14, 2014

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

:getin:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Can't wait for Plaid Dodgers uniforms

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

If this is true please let him get picked up by St. Louis.

E: That or Arizona.

The only reason I was interested in Puig's hypothetical availability is because the Cardinals could acquire him and get the premier outfield bat they apparently so crave. It would also solve the "Mike Matheny won't play Oscar Taveras and mishandles Carlos Martinez" problem, too.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

updates

Ramona Shelburne @ramonashelburne · 22m 22 minutes ago
Andrew Friedman will be the Dodgers president of baseball operations, sources said, and free to hire a GM

Ramona Shelburne @ramonashelburne · 24m 24 minutes ago
Ned Colletti will remain with the club in a new role as senior advisor to the President and CEO of the Dodgers, Stan Kasten.

Ramona Shelburne @ramonashelburne · 17m 17 minutes ago
To recap: Andrew Friedman is President, free to hire a GM. Ned Colletti gets new deal, works for Kasten now. Donnie Baseball still golden

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

_______ is the GM of the Los Angeles Dodgers

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

Yasiel Puig is the GM of the Los Angeles Dodgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView