Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

tarlibone posted:

Also, let's not forget that A-Rod tried every single legal maneuver (and possibly some less-than-legal shenanigans)

Yeah there was a ton of illegal shenanigans going on during this whole saga, except they weren't from ARod's camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

It's hard to blame a lot people for getting it backwards because the coverage of it outside of a few websites have been a bunch of Selig puff pieces.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Is it this one? http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/08/12/mlb-gambling-facebook-game-fixing

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

_______ is the GM of the Los Angeles Dodgers

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The difference is that Yost learned from his mistake and used Herrera in the 6th in Game 4

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mike-matheny-saber-friendly-cardinal/

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Rosenthal isn't terrible he had a good FIP and a decent ERA this season.

Matheny has arguably broken a closer every season. Motte and Mujica definitely were, and Rosenthal looked way worse than he had his previous two seasons. Next year might be pretty bad.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

FairGame posted:

Rosenthal basically looked the same way all season. It's not like Mujica who broke around August. Or Motte, who was fine in 2012 then unable to pitch in 2013. I don't know what horrors 2015 holds for Trevor Rosenthal, but I think it's unfair to ascribe his astonishing and sudden lack of command to Mike Matheny.
I was talking more at the end of the season, but he got worked really hard last season too

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

FairGame posted:

I don't know why people keep saying this. If Matheny were fired today, everyone analyzing it would say "Yeah, that makes sense. What took so long?" The dumbass fans who like Matheny (and I question if these people even exist) will still follow the team if it wins, and the team will certainly still win. I really have a hard time seeing any media outlet, local or national, saying his dismissal was a bad move. The P-D writers are all but screaming for it. I haven't seen anything like that since the days of Mike Keenan (and gently caress you, Tarlibone, for reminding me of that man.)

Matheny is absolutely fire-able.

Ownership has to approve a move like that, and I would guess that most owners give lots of credit to the manager when the team is winning a bunch. And firing a winning coach isn't going to make the job attractive to actual good candidates for the job. That being said, please happen.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

People want to keep trading Jay and he keeps performing enough to not make himself so expendable.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

His range is fine he just makes some dingus moves

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

They are literally trading Randy Choate because Matheny is too dumb to use him right.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Good Dog posted:

I always thought trout was a good cf though maybe that has gone away with his sb numbers? No aybar sucks but at least pujols and Calhoun got nominated.

He's really good but the lovely defensive metrics think he's bad.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Lucroy was a better hitter, nearly as good a catcher, and played nearly every day. If Yadi gets it, it's pretty loving transparent that he's just been crowned king for as long as he plays.

Welcome to Gold Glove voting

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

If you're dinging Yadi for playing time then Russell Martin should win.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The only case for Lucroy is the absurd run values on his framing, which I'm not willing to give that much credit for when Molina and Martin both excel at framing too.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The cool thing about Maddon is that he does dumb poo poo just as much as any manager.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

Yea, I don't know why everyone deifies Maddon. I seem to recall a lot of people around here questioning his moves, especially around his bullpen usage. I mean, yea, he does goofy stuff and seems like a funny enough character. But baseball-wise...I just don't get it. But really, I don't know, I've never really followed the Rays.

As for the Cubs, keep Rick. He's been more than great and the players seem to really like him.

He calls for lots of stupid IBBs too.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

zakharov posted:

Twitter is lighting up with rumors that Oscar Taveras is dead. I have no idea what the source is right now.

His agent.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The Padres are about to poach Logan White from the Dodgers, which is a pretty big deal.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The Cardinals are historically more of an offensive team anyway.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

In lighter hearted news, the Red Sox are already trashing Cespedes to the media.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/madden-roc-y-relationship-red-sox-deal-yoenis-cespedes-article-1.1987361

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The Mariners traded Cliff Lee, Doug Fister, and Michael Pineda within a year and half. The only thing they have to show for it is Charlie Furbush.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

lol there's no tampering here

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Devo posted:

I don't know how they could prove it.

"With Andrew leaving I thought it might be best to at least consider other options. The Rays made me a reasonable offer but I decided it was in my best interest to move on. I wish the Rays organization the best of luck in the future."

Or some such press release

If the Rays are actually going to peruse this they'll present evidence.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

ARod is now officially back on the Yankees' 40 man roster :cool:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

I think that's the first time I've seen Pedroia's name in like seven months. What happened to that guy?

He took the cheese and something bad happened :(

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

awful app sucks

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The Cubs are currently in violation of MLB's version of the Rooney Rule.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What is the exact rule in MLB for the hiring process? It seems like they didn't even really need/want to interview Maddon or anyone else at all, they just wanted him.

It's pretty much the same as the NFL. If you're hiring externally, you have to send MLB a list of candidates that they pre-approve. I believe it also extends to the FO, or at least certain positions in there.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

That's not really how it works, but there won't be any blowback because Theo is bulletproof.

And they've apparently pushed back the press conference from today to Monday so they'll find their Art Shell over the weekend.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

It sure as hell doesn't make them look better, but if the Cubs fired Renteria, interviewed him for the same job, and hired Maddon, sure I guess. But if you think that happened I have a thing to sell you in a place that has none of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Nick Swisher and Robinson Cano had their options picked up.

• Locked thread