Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Top Chef is back!

The twelfth season of Top Chef brings us to Boston: The home of clam chowder, the Red Sox, and the kind of thick accent you need a good knife to cut through. Tom Colicchio, Gail Simmons, Padma Lakshmi, and Hugh Acheson are joined by Richard Blais as he ascends to a higher form of existence as a judge. They're promising to continue to add new twists and challenges with this season, such as Sudden-death Quickfires, visits to iconic Boston locations such as Fenway Park and Cheers!, and a "revamped" Judge's Table. Whether these will continue to include the dramatic camera swooping introduced in Seattle or the dramatic slow-motion knife chopping introduced in Duels remains to be seen. Guest judges will include Emmy Rossum, Rob "Gronk" Gronkowski, Dennis Eckersley, George Wendt, Andy Cohen, Todd English, Barbara Lynch, Jasper White, Ming Tsai, Jacques Pepin, Ken Oringer, and Jamie Bissonette.

A picture of Boston I pulled off of Google because the OP looks pretty plain otherwise, and I couldn't find a version of the Top Chef logo with "Boston" anywhere in it.

What awaits the eventual victor? A grand prize of $125,000, a feature in Food & Wine Magazine, a showcase at the Annual Food & Wine Classic in Aspen, and (of course) the title of Top Chef.

The season begins Wednesday, October 15 at 10/9 central. Until then, a sneak preview of the first Quickfire is currently on Bravo's site.

The contestants

Thanks to Toast Museum for the templates used to make this chart!

Aaron Grissom, 27 - Tacoma, Washington
Chef, Bow and Truss

Adam Harvey, 29 - New York, New York
Personal Chef

Doug Adams, 29 - Portland, Oregon
Chef de Cuisine, Portland Penny Diner

George Pagonis, ? - Washington, D.C.
Executive Chef & Partner, Kapnos (Run by Top Chef veteran Mike Isabella)

Gregory Gourdet, 39 - Portland, Oregon
Executive Chef, Departure Restaurant & Lounge

James Rigato, 29 - White Lake, Michigan
Executive Chef, The Root Restaurant & Bar

Joy Crump, 46 - Coatesville, Pennsylvania
Executive Chef & Co-owner, Foode

Katie Weinner, 35 - Salt Lake City, Utah
Chef & Owner, SLC POP

Katsuji Tanabe, 33 - Los Angeles, California
Chef & Owner, Mexikosher

Keriann Von Raesfeld, 28 - San Jose, California
Executive Chef & Owner, Exposed Gastronomy

Mei Lin, 28 - Los Angeles, California
Sous Chef, ink. (Run by Top Chef alum Michael Voltaggio)

Melissa King, 30 - San Francisco, California
Private Chef, www.chefmelissaking.com

Michael Patlazhan, 31 - Brooklyn, New York
Private Chef, http://www.cookingwithyouandforyou.com/

Rebecca LaMalfa, 32 - Chicago, Illinois
Executive Sous Chef, Trenchermen

Ron Eyester, 40 - Atlanta, Georgia
Executive Chef and Owner, Grateful Tables, Rosebud, The Family Dog, and more

Stacy Cogswell, 33 - Boston, Massachusetts
Executive Chef, The Regal Beagle

Last Chance Kitchen
Last Chance Kitchen returns for it's fourth season, where contestants who have packed their knives get the chance to fight their way back into the finale. This year, it will begin with a two-part redemption midseason, and continue on until part one of the finale.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

:siren: Reserved for Results. Skip this post if you're not caught up! :siren:

The Contestants

(Eliminated chefs are eliminated.)

Progress Chart

What Went Wrong
  • George - Pan-seared mackerel could have used more heat (Sudden Death Quickfire)2
  • Michael - Fishy chilled corn soup
  • Joy - Undercooked veal chops
  • Ron - Oversized fish croquette with popcorn soup
  • James - Chilled wild shrimp, mussels, and clams
  • Rebecca - Seared scallop with fennel
  • Aaron - Overcomplicated noodles, scallop, and meatball
  • Stacy - Ramp-smoked clams with butternut squash, lobsters & ramps
  • Keriann - Obligatory Front-of-House Restaurant Wars Elimination with dessert dish bonus
  • Katie - Braised rabbit leg with Moroccan tomato sauce (Sudden Death Quickfire)2
  • Adam - Flash-marinated shrimp, mushrooms, peppers, herbs & aioli
  • Katsuji - Fabada with white beans, chorizo, jamon serrano, short rib, veal osso buco, red beet puree, and hot sauce
  • Doug - Undercooked foie gras
  • George - Charred octopus with split pea puree, green apple, and harissa

1 No immunity granted for Quickfire win
2 Eliminated in a Sudden Death Quickfire
3 George won the Sudden Death Quickfire Challenge against Katie and returned to the competition
4 There were no eliminations in Episode 11. Instead the winner was guaranteed a place in the Mexico finals.

Last Chance Kitchen

Last Chance Kitchen will begin after Episode 8, which will air December 10: http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-12/blogs/team-top-chef/last-chance-kitchen-is-coming

Progress Chart

Round 1: "Redemption Royale" - Winner: Rebecca
Round 2: "Dry and Slimy" - Winners: Adam, Katie
Round 3: "The Kitchen Sink" - Winners: Adam, Katsuji
Round 4: "Liverwurst Nightmare" - Winners: Doug, Adam
Round 5: "Crudité Redeux" - Winner: Doug
Round 6: "The Last Chance Kitchen Finals" - Winner: TBA

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 28, 2015

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I've been watching Top Chef Duels lately, been pretty good. Contestants from previous seasons competing. Each competition is just one episode long, so you don't get the drama of the big group living together.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Gonna drunk watch and pretend Ron is Pork Jesus.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Whizbang posted:

Gonna drunk watch and pretend Ron is Pork Jesus.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Edit: Cocky dickbag spotted, think that was George who rolled his eyes at the awards that Keriann won.
Edit2: maybe it was Aaron.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 16, 2014

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Wait did that George dude really bitch that the other guy was so slow when he was told he was the slowest?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Aaron without his hat, in the side interview, looks like Howard Dean.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It's weird seeing a thread not started by Toast Museum.

I'm mildly annoyed that they're subtitling Katsuji, he's perfectly understandable.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I wish salad lady had gone home first. She's so bland. Katsuji is a godawful trainwreck but I hope he sticks around for a while because his cuisine is hilarious.

My early picks for final 3 are Dougie, Keriann, & Gregory.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I thought that was a nice season premiere. Challenges where they have to prepare a gazillion portions (catering challenges in particular) are often not the most interesting to me, but combined with the theme of the first meal they cooked it was a nice way to introduce the contestants.

I already know that Adam will go on my nerves very, very quickly.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I want Katsuji to stick around since he seems like he's going to be an entertaining trainwreck but I have a feeling that other people are going to be way too annoying.

Also I hope Richard keeps that level of bluntness up through the season. Can't let them think they're doing too good. Makes for better TV.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I know I've seen Katsuji on some other show but I cannot remember which. Probably Chopped.

The season opener was a good episode. I like relay prep contests and individual challenges right off the top. Plus they got rid of two people in one episode. Although I don't understand the reasoning for that first guy picking Gregory as his challenger. Whether Gregory won or lost, he was not getting eliminated so revenge for taking the mackerel was a lovely reason. The guy should have chosen someone with poo poo cooking credentials to ensure a win.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Mei will probably win it all. Padma is starting to become annoying.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I know I've seen Katsuji on some other show but I cannot remember which. Probably Chopped.

The season opener was a good episode. I like relay prep contests and individual challenges right off the top. Plus they got rid of two people in one episode. Although I don't understand the reasoning for that first guy picking Gregory as his challenger. Whether Gregory won or lost, he was not getting eliminated so revenge for taking the mackerel was a lovely reason. The guy should have chosen someone with poo poo cooking credentials to ensure a win.

George wasn't making much sense overall. He was up for elimination because he was the slowest, yet he was shown grumping about Gregory being slow and that's why he was in the bottom. It's not Gregory's fault that George couldn't execute his part quickly, and it's not Gregory's fault that apparently he was only comfortable with mackerel.

IDK why Top Chef contestants don't practice the stuff in the mise en place relay before they start filming. It happens every season, it's not a surprise at this point. Reminds me of the dude who went to the finals in China but didn't bother to learn what a wok was beforehand. You had months off and you knew where you were going, at least give the local cuisine a cursory glance, dude.

...of course, the guy who didn't know what a wok was still won that season, so I guess that stuff only matters in the sense of not looking like a moron to viewers.

Gregory is my early favorite, with Mei, Melissa, Joy and... I think Doug? also of note. Everyone else but Katsuji is still kind of melding together in my brain.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Pooptimus Prime posted:

George wasn't making much sense overall. He was up for elimination because he was the slowest, yet he was shown grumping about Gregory being slow and that's why he was in the bottom. It's not Gregory's fault that George couldn't execute his part quickly, and it's not Gregory's fault that apparently he was only comfortable with mackerel.

IDK why Top Chef contestants don't practice the stuff in the mise en place relay before they start filming. It happens every season, it's not a surprise at this point. Reminds me of the dude who went to the finals in China but didn't bother to learn what a wok was beforehand. You had months off and you knew where you were going, at least give the local cuisine a cursory glance, dude.

...of course, the guy who didn't know what a wok was still won that season, so I guess that stuff only matters in the sense of not looking like a moron to viewers.

Gregory is my early favorite, with Mei, Melissa, Joy and... I think Doug? also of note. Everyone else but Katsuji is still kind of melding together in my brain.

I always laugh when people are surprised that the first challenge happens right at the beginning. It always happens. ALWAYS.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Loved the eliminated guy sassing Tom like a petulant child. Good premiere.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Loved the eliminated guy sassing Tom like a petulant child. Good premiere.

I love it when they question the judges' pallet.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Since all the past seasons were added to Hulu, I've been binge re-watching them.

Season 5 is by far the weirdest season ever. The goofy drama, the fact that none of them (except Stefan) actually seemed like they could cook, the terrible eliminations/quickfires...it's all so out there.

And the best part is still Radikha saying "I didn't come here to cook Indian food" and cooking nothing but Indian food the entire show.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
So is Top Chef on its last leg, or what? I didn't even realize there was a new season until I saw this thread stickied last night. Tuned in to watch and it turns out it doesn't even air till 11pm where I live (Mountain time). Seems like a rough time slot, given that this used to be smack dab in the middle of prime time here.

Anyways, I didn't particularly enjoy the episode last night. Maybe I'm just cranky cause I'm tired, but that sure wasn't worth staying up till midnight on a Wednesday night for. The cooking is completely secondary to the drama. I mean, I know it comes with the territory (reality tv + Bravo), but that was drat near unwatchable. I don't even remember who won, since the whole show was focused on the fight between hat dude and blonde girl.

And then they both got to stay. Great!

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Krackleburt posted:

So is Top Chef on its last leg, or what? I didn't even realize there was a new season until I saw this thread stickied last night. Tuned in to watch and it turns out it doesn't even air till 11pm where I live (Mountain time). Seems like a rough time slot, given that this used to be smack dab in the middle of prime time here.

Anyways, I didn't particularly enjoy the episode last night. Maybe I'm just cranky cause I'm tired, but that sure wasn't worth staying up till midnight on a Wednesday night for. The cooking is completely secondary to the drama. I mean, I know it comes with the territory (reality tv + Bravo), but that was drat near unwatchable. I don't even remember who won, since the whole show was focused on the fight between hat dude and blonde girl.

And then they both got to stay. Great!

I felt like that during the previous few seasons, but this new bunch seems like they are uniformly pretty good. Apart from a few fuckups, the food has been pretty amazing so far. Personally I think the first dish of the course (the fish one) should have won. It was certainly the most artistic and harmonious.

BTW, what's the deal with Pork Jesus? Wasn't he called also Pork Satan at the same time? I didn't read the TVIV forums (as far as I remember) during that season so I have no idea. Do you guys love him or hate him? It's kind of hard to understand. :downs:

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
There are a few articles out there if you care to google about how the talent level has dropped significantly due mostly to top-tier talent is unable to leave their restaurant for the needed time commitment, and Bravo caring more about casting for personality/unique mix/Bravo's demographic than cooking talent.

Add to this gimmicky challenges that don't showcase cooking skill or rely too much on luck, and you can't even count on the winner being the best chef of that season. Not that it has ever been about educational cooking TV, but you couldn't even piece together enough snippets of clips to show an entire ingredient in the mis en place challenge being broken down. No cooking, all reactions and personalty.

To sum it up, Top Chef tells the chefs to cook a memory of their first dish they cooked and then snarkily reply "had enough fried chicken" as if they were expecting truffle-stuffed-guineafowl

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008

OhYeah posted:

BTW, what's the deal with Pork Jesus? Wasn't he called also Pork Satan at the same time? I didn't read the TVIV forums (as far as I remember) during that season so I have no idea. Do you guys love him or hate him? It's kind of hard to understand. :downs:

Seems like he was pretty well received by goons. Probably any other season, he would be hands down the fan favorite, but that particular season was flooded with talent and had some pretty likeable chefs. I could see some people going against him, say if they were rooting hard for either Voltaggio, or Jenn Carroll, or whoever else. I don't really recall this Pork Satan stuff, but then again that was already like five years ago, and my memory could just be fuzzy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Aaron seems like a tremendous jackass and I'm officially rooting against him.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

zakharov posted:

I am on team Aaron for this very reason.

boscoman
May 14, 2004

Eats like a meal...

zakharov posted:

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I am on team Aaron for this very reason.

I had to look up who Aaron was again. My wife and I have just been referring to him as flat-brim or Not-Spike. That guy seriously sucks.

We have been enjoying the instant feedback that the judges are giving this season during tasting and judges table feels more..um..uncomfortable. It's kinda like leading cattle to the slaughter and letting the other cattle watch it happening. I can see that as being an advantage later in the competition as the remaining chefs get a better sense of what exactly the losers are going home for.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

If Aaron had the skills to back up his mouth he might be worth rooting for.

I'm putting everything on Patrick Swayze tattoo guy.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

boscoman posted:

I had to look up who Aaron was again. My wife and I have just been referring to him as flat-brim or Not-Spike. That guy seriously sucks.

We have been enjoying the instant feedback that the judges are giving this season during tasting and judges table feels more..um..uncomfortable. It's kinda like leading cattle to the slaughter and letting the other cattle watch it happening. I can see that as being an advantage later in the competition as the remaining chefs get a better sense of what exactly the losers are going home for.

Yeah I just hate the guy's black hat. I mean I guess they probably made him wear a hat with no logos but it just looks dumb.

As for the instant feedback I hate it. It makes things more uncomfortable and I don't think that really makes the show any more enjoyable.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

The thing about Aaron wearing the hat makes sense if you look at it from a "publicity-building" point of view. I think Spike actually admitted somewhere that he was just looking for a way to stand out in the crowd, when otherwise he might just be generic white hipster #4. You also had Josie wearing that "CHEF JOSIE" headband all the time, which was loud and annoying (not coincidentally :v: ).

I'm not sure if I like the new Judges' Table. Maybe it's the editing, but I didn't notice a Stew Room / Judges Discussing Amongst Themselves segment in either of the episodes so far. One of my sadistic pleasures about the show is watching the arguments between teammates about throwing each other under the bus, and the funny and caustic comments the Judges make when the chefs aren't there. Especially when a team thinks they did awesome and get ripped to shreds, or when there's other drama and infighting going on.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

OhYeah posted:

I think Pork Satan is a bearded, wax-mustachioed dummy from another season who constantly talked about bacon, pigs, etc. but was not very good at most of what he did (yet somehow went pretty far in the show).

This a-hole: http://www.bravotv.com/people/joshua-valentine/bio

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008

Naet posted:

I think Pork Satan is a bearded, wax-mustachioed dummy from another season who constantly talked about bacon, pigs, etc. but was not very good at most of what he did (yet somehow went pretty far in the show).

This a-hole: http://www.bravotv.com/people/joshua-valentine/bio

Oh hell, I never even watched that season. I never knew there was a Pork Satan. v:v:v

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Hat Guy is going to win this season and prove that molecular gastronomy is the true future of cuisine.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Aaron will never realize that the reason a lot of people don't like the idea of molecular cuisine is because of people like him.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Red Warrior posted:

Aaron will never realize that the reason a lot of people don't like the idea of molecular cuisine is because of people like him.

Commonly called Marcel Syndrome.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I assume those 19 people quit that restaurant because of Aaron.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I think Pork Jesus was universally liked, and on any other season would have won going away, but as was mentioned, that season was loaded with talent, maybe the most of any season.

He has a relatively new restaurant, by the way. I don't live in Atlanta, but I plan to eat there immediately next time I'm there: http://www.gunshowatl.com/

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Did you guys know Mei works for Michael Voltaggio?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Grem posted:

Yeah I think that was mentioned in the first episode.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008

Grem posted:

I'm reading this as sarcasm, because it seems like they've managed to squeeze his name into every scene she's been on camera.

"You don't get to make the sauce! I make sauces for Michael Voltaggio every day!" :argh:

Or basically something like that.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Well, she does work for Michael Voltaggio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Grem posted:

Well, she does work for Michael Voltaggio

Yeah but so what. Michael Voltaggio is a good chef (and Top Chef winner which is maybe why they highlight that so much) who until very recently worked for Jose Andres (along with Mike and Ilan I believe). When Jen would reference Eric Ripert that was one thing (although that got a bit repetitive too) but this guy is just starting out on his own and she's acting like she just stepped out of the kitchen of El Bulli. George had an equally impressive group of chef's he worked for but that didn't seem to help to save him from elimination.

• Locked thread