Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

spronk posted:

All she needed was some sort of risotto involved in her dish to complete the Top Chef trifecta.

I'm stumped how Katie squeezed by since she hosed over Keriann in so many ways, but I guess Keriann basically being MIA as far as the judges saw and having no defense for why she only noticed her dessert change near the end of service didn't help her get any sympathy.

I was hoping Tom would comment on how Katsuji and Gregory shirked all the hard choices and basically set their team up to fail, but then again not sure why either of the girls thought they would be the ONE chef who doesn't completely gently caress up the thing they have never done before.

Next week looks interesting with possible returns.

Katie only hosed Keriann because Keriann's poo poo was totally unusable.

Overall, I think the biggest difference was Katie trying to be clever with the tickets knowing there would be a finite number of guests while Doug just handled it like a normal restaurant would, which made everyone more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Overall, I think the biggest difference was Katie trying to be clever with the tickets knowing there would be a finite number of guests while Doug just handled it like a normal restaurant would, which made everyone more comfortable.
This part I don't have any insight on. What was she doing that was clever? Obvious answer is nothing, but what was her process?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cavatica posted:

This part I don't have any insight on. What was she doing that was clever? Obvious answer is nothing, but what was her process?

She basically had a checklist for every table and all of them were taped down to the kitchen table in a long line that seemed to confuse everyone because it involved her remembering to cross off items. When she didn't remember or hadn't done it quick enough, people were getting multiple plates.

I don't know that it was 100% stupid so much as it was unconventional and in that environment, consistency is everything. Keriann not educating the wait staff on the table numbers just exacerbated the situation.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I kind of can't imagine not having my own ticket to look at. We'd just tear stuff on the side as we got it done, and even then it's hard enough when you're staring down ten of them.

Anyway, I'm so glad George is back in it. He was my favorite for the first ten minutes before he got the ouster, and I'm really excited to see what he can pull off. Sad to see Adam go, but this is an awesome consolation prize. :neckbeard:

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Another great episode, although I did a spit take when one of the fans said his favorite episode was the Winter Olympics one. I thought universally everyone agreed that was the worst semi-finale, ever.

LCK is up on http://bravotv.com/top-chef so don't go there unless you have seen the weekly episode already, since they tend to spoil the loser. LCK is a 2 parter this week, nearly 30 minutes.

I don't know how she does it but Padma grows more stunning every season, is she bathing in the blood of the losers or something. Although her trashing a bunch of fish (Richard's cart) as a prank was a bit :wtc: I was hoping she would grab a Durian fruit to go along with the Jackfruit. I hate the taste of Jack fruit and Durian, pretty interesting to see so many people like it.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

spronk posted:

Another great episode, although I did a spit take when one of the fans said his favorite episode was the Winter Olympics one. I thought universally everyone agreed that was the worst semi-finale, ever.

LCK is up on http://bravotv.com/top-chef so don't go there unless you have seen the weekly episode already, since they tend to spoil the loser. LCK is a 2 parter this week, nearly 30 minutes.

I don't know how she does it but Padma grows more stunning every season, is she bathing in the blood of the losers or something. Although her trashing a bunch of fish (Richard's cart) as a prank was a bit :wtc: I was hoping she would grab a Durian fruit to go along with the Jackfruit. I hate the taste of Jack fruit and Durian, pretty interesting to see so many people like it.

When that guy said he liked that season with the Olympic challenge at the end, I thought he named one of the shittiest overall seasons as his favorite. Thank gently caress Paul won that season. Besides Paul kicking rear end and taking names, the rest of that season was filled with two insufferable fat bitches complaining nonstop about Beverly. And one of those two went all the way to the finals and then told Emeril to "gently caress off" when she lost.

And it shows you why the producers go for stupid gimmick challenges that this thread generally seems to hate - the Top Chef SUPERFANS apparently think it makes for good TV.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
Melissa is the current person I'll miss the least, but happy it wasn't Mei. Adam was fun and kind of reminded me of Spike with a more positive overall outlook.

Happy to have George back as this year's DC representative. I wonder how many of the eliminated people told him how good Gregory was. That was pretty unlikely (essentially) random draw in the first quickfire.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
Gregory, you had Poe! How could you not do something with Amontillado? such a missed opportunity for some twisted cheffing.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Vicodiva posted:

Gregory, you had Poe! How could you not do something with Amontillado? such a missed opportunity for some twisted cheffing.

Katsuji did some twisted cheffing and look where it got him.

Also the beginning of the last episode was one of the more insufferable parts in this show's history. A bunch of stupid wink wink Padma eats sausage jokes and I EAT A LOT OF FOOD BECAUSE I GOT BIG MUSCLES *demonstrates muscles*

Terrible. I'm glad George let him know he sucks.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm really over the giveaway editing here. You knew within the first few minutes that Katsuji was going home.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm having too much trouble with George's upright stack of vinyl LPs hairstyle to get mad at the nu-Bravo editing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Katsuji did some twisted cheffing and look where it got him.

Also the beginning of the last episode was one of the more insufferable parts in this show's history. A bunch of stupid wink wink Padma eats sausage jokes and I EAT A LOT OF FOOD BECAUSE I GOT BIG MUSCLES *demonstrates muscles*

Terrible. I'm glad George let him know he sucks.

That was some pretty terrible dialog.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Football dude: "Huurrrr, yeah, I'm a real foodie"

*tasting*

Football dude: "I love this combo, it's so new to me!"

Chef: "It's, well, mustard and onions with a sausage"

Football dude: "Oh wow, what an innovation!"

Jesus Christ, get rid of this nonsense.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm really over the giveaway editing here. You knew within the first few minutes that Katsuji was going home.

Gail: I think something like onion soil is usually kind of a gimmick

*Scary failure music*

Gail: But in this case I think it really works

*Happy winning music*

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Gail: I think something like onion soil is usually kind of a gimmick

*Scary failure music*

Gail: But in this case I think it really works

*Happy winning music*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpzJAzdpTU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What the gently caress are you doing, Mike Isabella?!

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/dumb-as-hell-hip-hop-themed-restaurant-menu-wasnt-the-h-1673150292/all

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CLAMS

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Oh dear... Come on Mike. :(
I have to say, this year's Last Chance Kitchen setup is especially good. I like that it's 3 competitors each time and only one gets dumped. I also forgot that the challenges are tailored to the competitor.

Slimy and Dry + "use 20+ ingredients" were both great

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Nooooooooo Dougie!!!!!!

Though now that he's out he can come be my concubine...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

poolside toaster posted:

Nooooooooo Dougie!!!!!!

Though now that he's out he can come be my concubine...

Welp.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

lol grow up

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

I generally don't eat foie gras since it crosses a little bit over the line of animal cruelty for me (same with veal) but I remember a TED talk and NPR show about a spanish farmer who raises free range geese that produces apparently stellar foie gras without the force feeding done elsewhere. Dunno if he's fooling everyone but its pretty interesting.
http://www.theatlantic.com/video/archive/2013/06/the-spanish-farm-on-a-mission-to-make-humane-foie-gras/276487/

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

spronk posted:

I generally don't eat foie gras since it crosses a little bit over the line of animal cruelty for me (same with veal) but I remember a TED talk and NPR show about a spanish farmer who raises free range geese that produces apparently stellar foie gras without the force feeding done elsewhere. Dunno if he's fooling everyone but its pretty interesting.
http://www.theatlantic.com/video/archive/2013/06/the-spanish-farm-on-a-mission-to-make-humane-foie-gras/276487/

I think these guys were on Ramsay's The F Word. Janet Street Porter visited a traditional French fois gras farm, the Spanish ethical farm, and then Ramsay did a taste test; he said he would serve the ethical fois if he couldn't tell the difference.

The ethical fois farm visit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5c4TXfDHZY

The taste test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykLsoQBmM1c

F-Word had a some stuff about veal, too. Is the cruelty issue that you mention the age of slaughter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzdzuof-99M

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Sweet, 6:00 west coast start that completely bamboozled my dumbass DVR.

notmandatory
May 18, 2006
Mine didn't record it, either, and I'm on the east coast. I wonder if they failed to tag it as new? It set itself to record at 11:30, rather than at 9. Fortunately it was one of the shows that let me watch from the beginning in the guide, but then it won't let you fast forward through commercials.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
It is hard to understand what the most important criterion is in determining the winner and the loser in these types of challenges? Is it really pushing yourself and taking risks? In that case the wrong guy was sent packing. Or is it the flawless execution of a dish?

Really surprised that Melissa won. Not that her dish was bad in any way or lacked innovation, but Mei's dish was just so out there and so well done that I didn't see any possibility of her NOT winning the challenge.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

spronk posted:

I don't feel that foie is any more cruel than how we treat cows, chickens, etc but it's certainly jarring to think about. :whoptc:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

An almost Shyamalan-grade twist in this recent episode when nobody picks Aaron for sous chef.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

I was very surprised when Gregory picked Katie, but I guess it all worked out ok. Excellent semi-final, the producers have really, really knocked it out of the park with the challenges this season - no stupid gimmick crap, just thoughtful and extremely well designed and interesting to watch challenges. I really thought Mei was going to get knocked out with her post cooking comments, but yeah all the dishes looked stellar and that was probably the strongest final four we've seen in a long, long time.

So I guess the finale is a 3-person round and not 1v1? I think that happened last year too, and its much better imo.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I hope that the challenge they referenced in the preview, cooking with ants, is just part of a quickfire and not the finale. I much prefer an open-ended finale challenge.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

lifts cats over head posted:

I hope that the challenge they referenced in the preview, cooking with ants, is just part of a quickfire and not the finale. I much prefer an open-ended finale challenge.

Same here. The ant thing seems like an early season gimmick challenge, not something that should be in the finale.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

In the upcoming finale, contestants will have to chisel ants out of foil-wrapped blocks of ice and use them to cook a meal for 5,000 of Chase Bank's snootiest card-holders.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That Cutthroat Kitchen show on Food Network is basically that. You bid prize money to make competitors deal with obstacles like having to use tin foil instead of utensils. It's on NetFlix if you've never seen it.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

In the upcoming finale, contestants will have to chisel ants out of foil-wrapped blocks of ice and use them to cook a meal for 5,000 of Chase Bank's snootiest card-holders for a chance to win $10,000 sponsored by the Glad Family of Products

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I haven't watched since the season with Kristen Kish, is it worth catching up?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

teraflame posted:

I haven't watched since the season with Kristen Kish, is it worth catching up?

Kristen's roommate/totally not her girlfriend was on the following season and she turned out to be very likable. Nothing else really stood out for that season. This season has been pretty good, however.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

drat I thought this week was the finale with 3 chefs, instead its just the semi-final and the final will be heads up 1v1. This episode totally felt like filler and quite boring, the ingredients were pretty boring, Judges table was bland and Doug got screwed by having ant eggs dumped on him (sorta his fault though I agree).

Am I remembering things wrong or hasn't Top Chef done 3 chef finales for a few seasons now? I much prefer that to heads up. Oh well, only real bad episode of this season.

While it is interesting to host the last few episodes in a new city I think I'd prefer it if they stay in the host city and only move for the very last episode, or not at all.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
A 3 chef finale hasn't been done for a few seasons now. Season 7 (Kevin/Angelo/Ed) was the last one.

I think I like the 3 chef finale better, but I don't really mind the one on one too much, but I really didn't like that live finale, first to win 3 of 5 total courses wins format they did in the season with Kristen versus Brooke.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

spronk posted:

Doug got screwed by having ant eggs dumped on him (sorta his fault though I agree).

I disagree about it being his fault. It wasn't a challenge where they said race across a bog to get cranberries first, or fastest to meat counter at whole foods, etc. They talked (perhaps on the command of the directors) about creating a cohesive meal together, so they seemed civil, but civil people should pull straws for it, rock-paper-scissors, etc. Not just "well you have to speak up!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I disagree about it being his fault. It wasn't a challenge where they said race across a bog to get cranberries first, or fastest to meat counter at whole foods, etc. They talked (perhaps on the command of the directors) about creating a cohesive meal together, so they seemed civil, but civil people should pull straws for it, rock-paper-scissors, etc. Not just "well you have to speak up!"

This.

Why didn't they just pick the ingredients in turns?

• Locked thread