Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
That should be 10/11. I messed up :doh:

Today's Games

Today In Baseball History
  • 1911 - The first MVPs are announced and Ty Cobb receives the maximum 64 points. The NL winner is Cubs outfielder Frank Schulte, with Christy Mathewson second. Both winners receive Chalmers automobiles.
  • 1925 - Walter Johnson wins his third straight World Series contest over two years, 4-0. A three-run home run by Goose Goslin followed by a solo shot by Joe Harris gives the Senators a 4-0 win and 3-1 Series advantage over the Pirates.
  • 1948 - In Boston, Cleveland nips the Braves 4-3 to take the World Series in six games. Rookie lefty Gene Bearden is the pitching hero in relief.
  • 1969 - Don Buford's leadoff home run starts a 4-1 Baltimore win over the Mets to open the World Series. Mike Cuellar bests Tom Seaver in what will be New York's only postseason loss of the year.
  • 1971 - Brooks Robinson ties a World Series record by reaching base five straight times on three hits and two walks as Baltimore rolls over Pittsburgh, 11-3. The defending World Champion Orioles hold a 2-0 Series advantage.
  • 1972 - Bob Moose's wild pitch in the ninth inning allowed George Foster to score the winning run as the Cincinnati Reds beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 4-3 and captured the NLCS in the fifth game.
  • 1975 - Boston's Luis Tiant shuts down the Big Red Machine and scores the first run as the Red Sox win the opening game of the 1975 World Series, 6-0.
  • 1980 - In one of the most exciting and controversial games in playoff history, the Phillies tie the NLCS with a 10-inning 5-3 win over the Astros in Game Four. In the fourth inning, Houston is deprived of an apparent triple play when the umpires rule that pitcher Vern Ruhle traps Garry Maddox's soft line drive. In the sixth, Houston loses a run when Gary Woods leaves the base early on Luis Pujols' would-be sacrifice fly
  • 1997 - One of the most bizarre endings in ALCS history, the winning run scores on a botched squeeze play. With Marquis Grissom racing home from third base, Omar Vizquel bunts and misses and the ball trickles a few feet from the plate. Orioles catcher Lenny Webster thinks it's a foul ball and loafs after it as Grissom streaks home for a 2-1 Cleveland win. Baltimore starter Mike Mussina strikes out an LCS record 15 batters in seven innings in the difficult twilight at Jacobs Field, but has nothing to show for it.
  • 2004 - After seven tries during their 43-year history, the Astros finally win a postseason playoff series when they eliminate the Braves in the deciding Game 5 of the NLDS, 12-3. It is the third consecutive year Atlanta has lost Game 5 of the division series at Turner Field.
  • 2009 - Admitting to a blown call, which led to the decisive run in the Rockies' 6-5 Game 2 NLDS loss to the Phillies at a very chilly Coors Field, home plate umpire Jerry Meals, after watching a post-game replay, states the ball that glanced off Chase Utley's leg should have not been considered in play.

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

gently caress the NLCS I hope a meteor hits the park.

Gimmie more of that sweet sweet ALCS action.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Come on I-70 Series

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

:getin:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

noice

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Haven't even been paying attention to the AL, what are the Orioles doing that's got everyone talking about them like the second coming?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Caseman posted:

Haven't even been paying attention to the AL, what are the Orioles doing that's got everyone talking about them like the second coming?

They hit a lot of dingers

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Whoever it is that is doing this anthem sounds like he couldn't be more bored and/or drunk.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

this guy is a singer lmao

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I assumed the singer was 90 years old until I looked at the screen.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I'm half expecting TBS to just stop broadcasting altogether sometime today. It's really the only way to top how poorly their broadcasting has been so far this playoffs.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how much longer is their contract to broadcast the nlcs and nlds for?

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Someone refresh me on what happened to Matt Cain?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Someone refresh me on what happened to Matt Cain?

he died

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
You mean. . . .. . . ..TJS? :(

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
whats the career outlook on yordana venture

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Googling says bone chips in the elbow

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
"We got Game 1 in without a delay..."
That doesn't count the one that you caused.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm hoping that KC wins today, Baltimore wins all three in KC and the Royals win game 6.

Game 7 can go either way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Go Royals, make today suck a little less.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I don't think Cain will ever be a superstar, Ron.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Good position for the Royals.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

GO ROYALS!

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Welp.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh god the bloopiest 2 run single. I love this series.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Corporate Cain is writing the Orioles' tombstone!

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Royals off to a hot start I see

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

i cant believe the royals are gonna win the al

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

stump collector
May 28, 2007
royals arent' wasting any time

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the Royals' BABIP so far in this series? It has to be above 500.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I'm liking how things are looking right now. Although my stomach still hasn't recovered from last night.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also that's a really good thread title OP. Bravo :golfclap:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

was hosmer's little celebration there him putting on an imaginary parachute?

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Abel Wingnut posted:

was hosmer's little celebration there him putting on an imaginary parachute?

cape

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
Camden Yards is such a pretty park.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can't wait for the first royal to pull something celebrating a single

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

What is the Royals' BABIP so far in this series? It has to be above 500.

According to my math, .333 in game 1, .375 for game 1 and the 1st inning.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I love how effortless Ventura looks throwing 95 mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Asema posted:

can't wait for the first royal to pull something celebrating a single

Won't happen. They just hit bombs.

• Locked thread