Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Why are hiveminds called hiveminds? Bees don't work that way. They communicate by pheromones and dancing, not psychic powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

273423-X posted:

Why are hiveminds called hiveminds? Bees don't work that way. They communicate by pheromones and dancing, not psychic powers

because to a high level observer, bees or ants appear to behave as if each individual creature is merely an appendage of a single decentralized intelligence formed by the entire colony as a whole

it's one of those terms that isn't really technically correct but is still great at intuitively conveying the speaker's meaning

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
no way, humans are poo poo way more often than they're decent people. if we were a hivemind then everyone would be poo poo and we wouldn't have that small number of decent people to look at to make us feel better about our miserable species

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Coach Sport posted:

humans are poo poo way more often than they're decent people

This does seem to be a common nerd belief

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
yea most people are alright. but if you treat them wrong, they treat you wrong. it starts with you. show respect get respect. it's easy. if you hate people or think you're better than them or are scared, it's written right across your face. /nerdcounseling

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
naw actually a lot of people are terrible and will do nasty things to get ahead

which is why the hivemind thing would be sweet because when you lose individuality you lose any urge to "get ahead" personally

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUpWihJJJ4&t=320s

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
hitler was cool

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...

TOOT BOOT posted:

imagine it, 6 billion conjoined minds meditating on a single thought: im gay

this

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

273423-X posted:

Bees > humanity.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

naw actually a lot of people are terrible and will do nasty things to get ahead

well that too. idk i was going off topic, i just meant general social interactions. people will fight over anything, it's true.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

your links in this thread aren't relevant or interesting at all dude..explain either one pls

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Tautologicus posted:

your links in this thread aren't relevant or interesting at all dude..explain either one pls

the explanation is that evangelion ended with some guy turning all of humanity into a singular shared consciousness made up of a body that looked remarkably like Tang

aka the explanation is anime

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Tautologicus posted:

i tried my mom's bra on once. it didn't fit and i caught something from it.

hey...

knock knock...

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

the explanation is that evangelion ended with some guy turning all of humanity into a singular shared consciousness made up of a body that looked remarkably like Tang

aka the explanation is anime

almost every time i ever see anime posted on these forums, it's saying basically "oh yes anime covered this topic much in the same way that we are discussing it in this thread". it's like ha remember that south park episode about this. it is the dullest form of shitposting.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Stex T posted:

In a hivemind, if anybody else on the planet pooped their pants, you would not only know about it, you would experience at the very minutest level possible.

Now think about the number of people who have pooped their pants in their adult lives. Millions, maybe billions of poop-pants experiences, playing over and over in your head, for all eternity.

This is the thing that pushed humanity into the stars. A billion billion poo poo farts launching us into the future.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Sure, if I'm the Queen.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

redshirt posted:

Sure, if I'm the Queen.

ummmm, aren't redshirts supposed to be the expendable meatshiel..whoooooa?!

please don't hate me because i speak on behalf of an outspoken minority, there are many things we must discuss before we die together in this simulation.

there was a haiku in nabokov's epic novelle "the club that is fight" which explained the queen's dilemma. i feel nothing but empathy for your mission, but it freaks me the gently caress out when bluestars show up out of nowhere when i'm trying to homeschool the culturally enfamished masses.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
i'd only do it if it became kind've a Liminal States sort of thing (big ups zack/EPG/whatever ;)) and the hivemind sought homogeneity and thus stamped out all the annoying self-entitled thought-minorities that would poo poo up the shared thought pool

contrary to the poster that said SJW wet dream, more like SJW holocaust

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
Yo that's an interesting rear end question, kinda specific though.
Was this in like a book or a movie or something? I'd read/watch that if so~

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Zed from Zardoz rejected a hive mind, and so do I.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
On one hand everyone will suddenly know about all the weird stuff you jerk to, but on the other hand maybe they will finally understand why

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I would not because I would die if my parents knew I liked Kill la Kill, or what it was

I would fuckin die

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fucker posted:

would you do it? everyone would know everyone elses knowledge, thought processes, past experiences, desires, everything they have ever thought and are thinking.

no because its sounds lovely and stupid. I don't really desire to know teh thought process of Westboro.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Al Borland posted:

no because its sounds lovely and stupid. I don't really desire to know teh thought process of Westboro.

Everything would blend, though. I bet it'd be mostly chill.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

I would not because I would die if my parents knew I liked Kill la Kill, or what it was

I would fuckin die

What's so bad about Kill la Kill (I haven't watched it and generally do not watch anime)

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Harime Nui posted:

I would fuckin die

same.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
the mods are hivemind already

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Devils Affricate posted:

What's so bad about Kill la Kill (I haven't watched it and generally do not watch anime)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

That's not that bad

Actually kinda good

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Baybay Jesus is supposed to come back any now to slay Satan and take our free will away. Then 1000-year reign of peace until Jehovah himself dies of boredom.

I just hope the hivemind keeps us dancin' some tight moves.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

scalded schlong posted:

mods rename thread to Would You Rape The Entire Human Race and prepare for the horrible flood of yesses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

butplug accident posted:

Every technological solution to a social ill has always brought more suffering down the line, and subsequent technological fixes are then needed to alleviate it which in turn creates even more suffering.

I'm ritually tuning back the clock by breaking everything I own, starting with my computer and then destroying everything down to my clothing and house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imagine, the thoughts of hundreds of millions of gibbering morons instantly at your fingertips

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It is the only way to see if a GBS poster is telling the truth.

I would do it.

Moridin920 posted:

imagine, the thoughts of hundreds of millions of gibbering morons instantly at your fingertips

It's different now, how...?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
its really stupid to think that a hivemind implies harmony

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

OMFG FURRY posted:

its really stupid to think that a hivemind implies harmony

if nothing else it would absolutely mean understanding.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I probably wouldn't. On the one hand, knowing everything anyone has ever known is cool. On the other hand, there are things I really don't want to know.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Cardiovorax posted:

I probably wouldn't. On the one hand, knowing everything anyone has ever known is cool. On the other hand, there are things I really don't want to know.

I like the blue text you have. I don't know why someone thought you believing that would be a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Al Borland posted:

I like the blue text you have. I don't know why someone thought you believing that would be a bad thing.
I should have been clamoring to have him castrated and thrown into prison for life instead, because groping is exactly equal to rape. You know what old GBS was like.

• Locked thread