Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
you wouldn't hear every thought because there would be no you
why is it so hard to understand the part about individuality being disposed of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I don't want to live, in a world without anime

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
thats the beauty of removing anime
it also gets rid of althel anime fans

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

273423-X posted:

Why are hiveminds called hiveminds? Bees don't work that way. They communicate by pheromones and dancing, not psychic powers

Like gays then?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Fucker posted:

would you do it? everyone would know everyone elses knowledge, thought processes, past experiences, desires, everything they have ever thought and are thinking.

no because then I would have to share thoughts with you involuntarily

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
isn't a hivemind generally controlled by something too?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Al Borland posted:

isn't a hivemind generally controlled by something too?
Depends on which kind of stupid science-fiction you're reading. Some are basically run by consensus.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Cardiovorax posted:

Depends on which kind of stupid science-fiction you're reading. Some are basically run by consensus.

Sounds gay and bad. Not the good gay either the bad gay.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Al Borland posted:

Sounds gay and bad. Not the good gay either the bad gay.
It's more interesting than it sounds. The idea is that you get a composite of everybody that is included in the collective mind. It will take everything into account, because everybody's opinions are its own. It'll then behave based on that.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Cardiovorax posted:

It's more interesting than it sounds. The idea is that you get a composite of everybody that is included in the collective mind. It will take everything into account, because everybody's opinions are its own. It'll then behave based on that.

What happens when you introduce autism to it?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Al Borland posted:

implosion

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Al Borland posted:

Probably nothing. It's just a fantasy, after all, and the kind of scifi that writes about that sort of thing is more interested in how it could succeed than in how it could fail.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Cardiovorax posted:

Probably nothing. It's just a fantasy, after all, and the kind of scifi that writes about that sort of thing is more interested in how it could succeed than in how it could fail.

Sounds like the authors might be autistic. So I could see self insertion in there. A lot of obsession over Sonic the Hedgehog I'm sure.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
... They ask as they post their thoughts on the internet.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
already is a hive mind

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Al Borland posted:

maybe autistic ppl stop being autistic because they understand how other ppl think!!

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
so how would we jack off?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

max4me posted:

so how would we jack off?

into our collective mouths

a ouroboros of masturbation

hang on, that's tumblr

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If everyone was in a hivemind you'd finally know definitively that nobody wants to gently caress you, and I think that'd be funny enough to make it worth it.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
all the thoughts would be mentally masturbating each other forever like an orgy that never ends..

wait do we still have bodies or are we just coexisting in a disembodied puddle of good ideas

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

TACO_HERO posted:

all the thoughts would be mentally masturbating each other forever like an orgy that never ends..

wait do we still have bodies or are we just coexisting in a disembodied puddle of good ideas

i really hope the former, i don't want to be tang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Getting to feel the all best orgasms that are happening at any one time would be worth it almost by itself.

• Locked thread