Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Welp, did a bit better on the holiday World Boss - Best Score of 389k putting me at 775(23%) and total score of 7.63M at 617(18%) at least got me a second epic Dark Christmas hero(Elf for WB rewards, Santa for daily login thing a few days back).

The biggest difference I had was that I'm using Jude Pax(4* Epic) for a tank rather than Sirius(2* Epic) and the 300+ defense and 5k hp really shows.

I have two questions if anyone knows:

1. Part of my trouble has been that I don't have the raid allotment points to load up my group with *all* my best heroes, so I have to skimp here and there. Do you get more points as your kingdom level goes up? Because the top scorers are constantly stacking nothing but 4-5* epics.

2. The top scorers are also stacking those 4-5* epics with their epic-level gear - is there some way they're doing this other than just grinding raids endlessly for drops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Cuntpunch posted:

Welp, did a bit better on the holiday World Boss - Best Score of 389k putting me at 775(23%) and total score of 7.63M at 617(18%) at least got me a second epic Dark Christmas hero(Elf for WB rewards, Santa for daily login thing a few days back).

The biggest difference I had was that I'm using Jude Pax(4* Epic) for a tank rather than Sirius(2* Epic) and the 300+ defense and 5k hp really shows.

I have two questions if anyone knows:

1. Part of my trouble has been that I don't have the raid allotment points to load up my group with *all* my best heroes, so I have to skimp here and there. Do you get more points as your kingdom level goes up? Because the top scorers are constantly stacking nothing but 4-5* epics.

2. The top scorers are also stacking those 4-5* epics with their epic-level gear - is there some way they're doing this other than just grinding raids endlessly for drops?

Every other kingdom level you either get more energy or more raid points.

As far as how the people get 5/5 epics from events idk.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The best way to get 4 and 5 star epic gear is through the shop.

If you're whaling (which the top 100 or so players probably are) the "solution" is to just throw diamonds at the shop until you get some beefy as gently caress gear.

If you're doing this poor goon-style you manage and hoard your friendship points until there is some 5* gear that you can make really good use of (ideally 2 or 3 different pieces up at once) and then throw those at the problem.

Key things to remember: 1) spend friendship points on gear, not character rolls
2) don't chase one specific item, roll when there are 2 or 3 items you really want and a small handful that you could at least toss on a matching character or whatever
3) always prioritize weapons. You can mix and match random good gear (gear bonuses are almost always only good for minor boosts or non-raid poo poo) to put together a strong character, but there are a small handful of weapons that are just definitively better than everything else.

Genki Means Energetic!
May 21, 2003
smells like the death
^ this is good advice. Although the rolls in the shop are frustrating. I've spent 3000+ friendship points failing to roll a weapon on the top shelf. I feel like they decreased the odds of getting the top items in the past month, but maybe that's just me.

Another useful piece of info is that you'll have better luck upgrading a +2 character to a +3 if you combine with another +2 or even a +1 (and so on...). Apparently you can get to at least +4.

Thoughts from playing on and off since October - this game can be a little disappointing if you can't manage to get the top tier epic heroes after cashing in diamonds after poor-goon style watching vids for a month. The Christmas elf is pretty good, but I still don't have Vanna or some of the other mages. My inventory is full of great gear for characters I can't ever seem to get.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hot Tabun posted:

^ this is good advice. Although the rolls in the shop are frustrating. I've spent 3000+ friendship points failing to roll a weapon on the top shelf. I feel like they decreased the odds of getting the top items in the past month, but maybe that's just me.

Another useful piece of info is that you'll have better luck upgrading a +2 character to a +3 if you combine with another +2 or even a +1 (and so on...). Apparently you can get to at least +4.

Thoughts from playing on and off since October - this game can be a little disappointing if you can't manage to get the top tier epic heroes after cashing in diamonds after poor-goon style watching vids for a month. The Christmas elf is pretty good, but I still don't have Vanna or some of the other mages. My inventory is full of great gear for characters I can't ever seem to get.

Don't bother holding onto gear for characters you don't have. Unload that poo poo onto your raiders or a character you're grooming to slide into a raid slot. The only advantage to the vast majority of set gear is that it makes them grind gold faster in the dungeons. Gold becomes completely trivial after a certain point, so it's a poor use of space to hang onto that poo poo. There are a few exceptions to this, but they're exceptions not the norm.

Weapons, on the other hand, can have some pretty big boosts to damage if put on the right character. I could see hanging onto a few rather than just throwing them on random characters. That said, I'd also rather throw them on raiders who need an upgrade than hang onto them in hopes of drawing the specific epic character they are useful on, since their bonuses only ever apply to the epic version of that character.

don't worry so much about getting top tier epic heroes, just make sure you get top tier heroes. There is also a huge jump between 3 and 4 star heroes. Whether a 5 star rare is better than a 4 star epic is debatable, but there isn't a 3 star epic out there that's worth raiding with unless you're filling out the last handful of raid points you have and it's a case of take them or just leave the slot empty.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gently caress it, since I"m thinking about this:

Cyrano's Guide to cranking out a fast an dirty raid team that will carry you through until the endgame:

1) don't worry about epics. If you get some epic heroes great. They are basically free stat points. That said, they aren't such a huge step up that you need to lose sleep over them.

2) Do whatever you want in the first half of the game when you can basically just get carried through by beefy friends. Your final raid team should only have 4 and 5 star heroes, however. 3 star epics might look cool, but no 3 star epic comes even close to a 5 star rare. It's all about the equipment and 3 star equipment just sucks, end of story.

3) 5 star heroes are almost always better than 4 star heroes because of their access to the really high end equipment. There are some exceptions for specific 4 star epics wielding their matching epic weapon, but for the most part 5 stars is always better. This game is way more about the equipment than the heroes to be honest.

4) Eventually you want your team to look like this:

- Blocker: 1 handed warrior. Don't give two shits about his damage, you need to stack defense and health. If he eventually does a few hundred damage, great, but that's not what he's there for.

- 2x healers. At least one of them NEEDS to have a mana-regen ability. This is 100% mandatory as otherwise your mages will run out of juice and murder your DPS. Note that the most useful end-game group skill is probably the rage-delay skill, which is almost always found on healers. Beyond the skills you only care about 1) how much they heal (their "damage") and 2) how much manna they have. Their health doesn't matter at all, if the monster gets through your blocker you've already lost.

- Fill out the rest with heavy hitters. 6 days out of the week this is going to be a solid lineup of beefy mages. That said, some specific road-block enemies use 100% magic block a disturbing amount of the time so you'll want to maintain a small but decent stable of geared-up 2 handed warriors. Those guys will never out-DPS a mage, but they also can't run out of mana and can really be a life saver when you run across that one rear end in a top hat enemy that keeps spamming magic immunity. Pay all your attention to the amount of damage they do, then try to make sure they have adequate amounts of mana if mages. Defense and health are things you give zero fucks about here.

That's it. Note that if you keep an eye on the inn you will have rare 4 and 5 star heroes walk through once in a while. 5 star rares recruit from the inn for about 150-200k gold. This might sound like a lot, but it's pretty easy to save up to even in the early game. Just try to keep that much on hand at all times so you can purchase them when they come around. Check the inn every time you log in to cycle your dungeons and you'll have a full lineup of 4-5 star heroes in no time. Past that point it's just about stacking equipment on them to maximize their important stats.

addendum: try to stick with the same guys where possible. Leveling characters is kind of a bitch in this game if you're doing it purely based on combat and use, and the bonuses from leveling can make a high level 5 star rare superior to a low level 5 star epic. That said, this is a secondary consideration and shouldn't override anything I say above.

This all sounds really simple and basic, but then again so is this game. About 85% of the poo poo it has you doing is just in service to generating collector and min-max mentalities that get people to spend money. You might never do 1 million damage in a single round to a world boss, but you can cruise to the end of the map with ease without getting anywhere near that level of effort.

Just as a reference point I can reliably do about 450k damage as a high score in the world boss contests (with 350k being my normal run) and all of the normal map content is pretty trivial for me by now. Back when I first completed the map (around when the giant worm was the last boss I think) I was doing 200k high scores on the world boss contests.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genki Means Energetic!
May 21, 2003
smells like the death
You're probably right that I should start using some of this stuff. Although I'm mostly only holding on to good 4 and 5 star equipment in my inventory for the top tier characters I don't have (Vanna, Pegasus, Herman the Hunter, Pacifist Arathim, etc...) I do have some good 5 star rares, so its just a matter of deciding which to use with my limited party cost. Working on finally hitting level 58.

Any thoughts on Spring of Mana vs. Innervate? My best priest is Starry Stella, who only has innervate. I just got Ornis, so I think I'll start leveling him up.

Also I did the math and the 20 energy very hard raids don't scale the XP as well as the regular campaign 10 energy dungeons do. King of Gluttony is the best xp per energy right now. although the 9 energy Merry Christmas raids are nearly as good. Its around 300 xp per 1 energy for King of Gluttony, versus ~210/energy for the very hard Way to Grandma's house.

Edit: I topped out just over 900k on the hydra, just above top 100.

Genki Means Energetic! fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 31, 2014

• Locked thread