Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Like, really thought about it? Basically, a messageboard is just like a "location" and our posts are just basically "thoughts and idea that we share." Well, when you take all of that into account, you'll realize that your posting wasn't posting at all, but just a conversation. I enjoy conversing with all of you, and this Something Awful messageboard is the perfect place to do it. When you really think about posting, other concepts like "trolling" and "shitposting" fall by the wayside and you can truly devote 100% of yourself into make good posts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

:gas:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

3'd

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Jokes on you if you think anyone here puts any thought into their posts

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
No.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Rather Dashing posted:

Jokes on you if you think anyone here puts any thought into their posts

But that's the thing, people post seriously on other subforums, but tone it down for BGS. Does thinking about putting the lack of thought into your post cost as thought put into your post itself??? And every post whether intellectual or bestial still serves the same purpose, so there is no division between a thoughtful and a thoughtless post.

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

voted 1

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

have you ever abstractly thought of the concept of not reading the op cause it's too long and boring

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ironically voting 5

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

op i have and its really stupid.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

you are making a very good point, but have you considered killing yourself?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You see, when you think about it abstractly, I'm the posting Robespierre, Something Awful is Posting France, GBS is posting Paris, Lowtax is posting Louis XVI. uh. I guess. And that make Smhorky Marie Antoinette, I think? Then I guess that Spanish Manlove would be the posting inspector javert uhhh. This metaphor kinda ran away from me, but the gist of it is that we live in the age of Enlightened Posting.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

You see, when you think about it abstractly, I'm the posting Robespierre, Something Awful is Posting France, GBS is posting Paris, Lowtax is posting Louis XVI. uh. I guess. And that make Smhorky Marie Antoinette, I think? Then I guess that Spanish Manlove would be the posting inspector javert uhhh. This metaphor kinda ran away from me, but the gist of it is that we live in the age of Enlightened Posting.

ill be danton

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title

Buschmaki posted:

You have my axe

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
lol manlove is like javert come to think of it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

ironically voting 5

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
as a poster with a vested interest in posting i am recusing myself from the voting

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Christmas Miracle posted:

have you ever abstractly thought of the concept of not reading the op cause it's too long and boring

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet
Path: gmdzi!unido!fauern!ira.uka.de!sol.ctr.columbia.edu !zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!wupost!uunet!mcsun!news.funet.fi!hydra!k laava!torvalds
From: torva...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
Summary: small poll for my new operating system
Keywords: 386, preferences
Message-ID: <1991Aug25.205708.9541@klaava.Helsinki.FI>
Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
Organization: University of Helsinki
Lines: 20

Hello everybody out there using minix -

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).

I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

Linus (torva...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

yes

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
will people please stop blowing linus torvalds and that lovely penguin logo.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
http://youtu.be/0Ycg8HVIYy8?t=27s

Average goon posting process.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
yes. for example, these words that im writing- theyre now in your head

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet
the oracle would like to know your favorite color.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

assumed this was that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8SWMAQYQf0

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
it is a market for exchanging ideas, where others exchange virtual service (such as idea sharing and appraisal) in exchange for like currency. if said market is free, it places itself in the way of other controlled markets, which are as a rule primarily managed by individuals and collectives who wish to maintain the status quo in its (ergo, their) best interests. this creates conflict based on managerial entitlements and self-preservational interests rooted in a vital need for sustainable compensation in exchange for operational expenditure.

philanthropic organizations have various state-based protections, seeing as they fit the criteria of an npo. nevertheless, numerous npo's have been historic failures, due to a combined reason of lack of visibility, perceived imminent threat to the aims of a political majority, and opportunity to be dismantled from the inside. the motive for such acts are currently under investigation.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Buschmaki posted:

Like, really thought about it? Basically, a messageboard is just like a "location" and our posts are just basically "thoughts and idea that we share." Well, when you take all of that into account, you'll realize that your posting wasn't posting at all, but just a conversation. I enjoy conversing with all of you, and this Something Awful messageboard is the perfect place to do it. When you really think about posting, other concepts like "trolling" and "shitposting" fall by the wayside and you can truly devote 100% of yourself into make good posts!

tl;dr

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I take symbolism very seriously. Or at least the symbolism of a special few things in my life. For example I've worn my dog tags for the last 12 years of my life, every day, even though I exited the service 8 years ago. It was just a big thing in my life, coming of age, had always been a dream of mine to serve, etc. So I've worn my dog tags every day of my life for 12 years, I'm attached to them. I don't really know how to stress it enough because I feel like it'd be irrational to anyone else. I don't know how I'd explain the 'I will die fighting before you get my tags off me' mentality to civilians or what powers my thinking like that. Just needed to get that out of the way to set up the real part of this story.

I met a girl, eventually we hooked up, became close, almost a normal relationship. Go ahead a year or so in time and things are going well. We're on a vacation together. One night we're up late watching TV and she leans over, starts playing with my dogtags. I don't mind, she does this kind of often. By now she's memorized my serial number. Then she starts to lift the chain off around my neck. She's the only one I'd let do this and she takes them off and starts playing with them. She unhooks the chain as I'm kind of watching out of curiosity and or shook. She takes off her necklace and removes the purple quartz crystal from her necklace and puts it on my chain. So now I have a single chain with her crystal sandwiched by my dog tags. She puts my chain back on my head and says "So you'll always know I love you, even if I can't tell you." The wording might be a bit strange, but the girl had been hurt a lot in the past and in emotional times or conversations she'd get choked up and lose her voice so I didn't think real hard on the words. And then she made me promise to wear her pendant, every day forever, just like I do with my dogtags. I of course promised. I thought this was it, a girl that gets me, that I'm mad in love with, and whom just marked me as hers. Like I said, big into symbolism here, so here is this piece of her that she's placed around my neck, on my chain that she knows I'm never without. That was a 'You're mine' gesture if I ever saw one. It was just shy of putting a ring on me, in my view.

That was about two years. Since that time things didn't end all fairy tale like I thought they would. The girl has issues stemming from abuse in her teens and she was a rape victim. I knew that going in and I took a lot of time trying to help her into therapy, which she did go to and continues to do so to this day, albeit less frequently than I would like. We are no longer together. The issues became too much and she's never healed from the damage. I still love her dearly and continue to support her how ever I can and encourage her to more frequent therapy. I feel like this is worth mentioning because there really wasn't anything that was her fault. She didn't do anything wrong that caused us to split, she just had a lot of unresolved issues that she never properly treated. She never betrayed me or did anything to hurt me, and this is important to me when it comes to my big question is just a moment.

Goons, what do you think about what I should do with the pendant? Since we stopped seeing each other, one of the things my friends and my shrink have suggested is to stop wearing her pendant. It's no longer the symbol I hoped it would have been, and they suggest that wearing it does more harm than good. Having it jingling around every day only reminds me of the girl, of lost love, and it's hard trying to explain to a potential new girlfriend why the pendant of a girl I used to be in love with is still around my neck every day. But it's been a part of me for almost two years, and is on the chain with my dogtags. To stop wearing it feels like removing a part of myself. Simply taking it off isn't even that easy (new chain, no clasp). I promised never to take it off and I just can't bare to break my word on that. And then there's what she said when she gave it to me. I think she knew exactly what she was saying when she did. This is certainly seems like the kind of thing she had in mind. Some days it makes me feel better, some days it feels like a burden.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Aartrek said the same

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Ratjaculation posted:

I take symbolism very seriously. Or at least the symbolism of a special few things in my life. For example I've worn my dog tags for the last 12 years of my life, every day, even though I exited the service 8 years ago. It was just a big thing in my life, coming of age, had always been a dream of mine to serve, etc. So I've worn my dog tags every day of my life for 12 years, I'm attached to them. I don't really know how to stress it enough because I feel like it'd be irrational to anyone else. I don't know how I'd explain the 'I will die fighting before you get my tags off me' mentality to civilians or what powers my thinking like that. Just needed to get that out of the way to set up the real part of this story.

I met a girl, eventually we hooked up, became close, almost a normal relationship. Go ahead a year or so in time and things are going well. We're on a vacation together. One night we're up late watching TV and she leans over, starts playing with my dogtags. I don't mind, she does this kind of often. By now she's memorized my serial number. Then she starts to lift the chain off around my neck. She's the only one I'd let do this and she takes them off and starts playing with them. She unhooks the chain as I'm kind of watching out of curiosity and or shook. She takes off her necklace and removes the purple quartz crystal from her necklace and puts it on my chain. So now I have a single chain with her crystal sandwiched by my dog tags. She puts my chain back on my head and says "So you'll always know I love you, even if I can't tell you." The wording might be a bit strange, but the girl had been hurt a lot in the past and in emotional times or conversations she'd get choked up and lose her voice so I didn't think real hard on the words. And then she made me promise to wear her pendant, every day forever, just like I do with my dogtags. I of course promised. I thought this was it, a girl that gets me, that I'm mad in love with, and whom just marked me as hers. Like I said, big into symbolism here, so here is this piece of her that she's placed around my neck, on my chain that she knows I'm never without. That was a 'You're mine' gesture if I ever saw one. It was just shy of putting a ring on me, in my view.

That was about two years. Since that time things didn't end all fairy tale like I thought they would. The girl has issues stemming from abuse in her teens and she was a rape victim. I knew that going in and I took a lot of time trying to help her into therapy, which she did go to and continues to do so to this day, albeit less frequently than I would like. We are no longer together. The issues became too much and she's never healed from the damage. I still love her dearly and continue to support her how ever I can and encourage her to more frequent therapy. I feel like this is worth mentioning because there really wasn't anything that was her fault. She didn't do anything wrong that caused us to split, she just had a lot of unresolved issues that she never properly treated. She never betrayed me or did anything to hurt me, and this is important to me when it comes to my big question is just a moment.

Goons, what do you think about what I should do with the pendant? Since we stopped seeing each other, one of the things my friends and my shrink have suggested is to stop wearing her pendant. It's no longer the symbol I hoped it would have been, and they suggest that wearing it does more harm than good. Having it jingling around every day only reminds me of the girl, of lost love, and it's hard trying to explain to a potential new girlfriend why the pendant of a girl I used to be in love with is still around my neck every day. But it's been a part of me for almost two years, and is on the chain with my dogtags. To stop wearing it feels like removing a part of myself. Simply taking it off isn't even that easy (new chain, no clasp). I promised never to take it off and I just can't bare to break my word on that. And then there's what she said when she gave it to me. I think she knew exactly what she was saying when she did. This is certainly seems like the kind of thing she had in mind. Some days it makes me feel better, some days it feels like a burden.

I read this E/N thread and it is very rude to mock another poster by posting their personal posts into GBS. Please edit this out or apologize and not edit it out or I fear your posting karma will suffer and you will reborn as a serious poster in another life.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

are shitposts subjective or objective

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Feminition posted:

are shitposts subjective or objective

they are perfectly liminal

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
if gbs is for shitposting, what are FYAD and BYOB?

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Pajser posted:

guild formation

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pajser posted:

circle jerks?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I was just thinking about that watermelon thread and how weird it'd be if the word 'melon' was changed to something like 'steak'.

naem
May 29, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Angelwolf posted:

I was just thinking about that watermelon thread and how weird it'd be if the word 'melon' was changed to something like 'steak'.

steakmelon? That'd be pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Buschmaki posted:

I read this E/N thread and it is very rude to mock another poster by posting their personal posts into GBS. Please edit this out or apologize and not edit it out or I fear your posting karma will suffer and you will reborn as a serious poster in another life.

im a serious poster now mate, dont make me punch u

• Locked thread