Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If the Cards hit fewer homeruns in SF, the Giants have a good shot of taking the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

New Concept Hole posted:

E: ^^^ Giants' park is harder to hit homeruns toright.

Giants managed themselves out of this game.

Someone post that, "Bruce Bochy is the best manager in baseball" article.

wait how did bochy bork this? his pinch hitting/running choices all seemed to pan out. Was it just strickland?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Some Numbers posted:

Goddamn Cardinals hit four loving solo homers tonight.

Is the Giants' stadium more or less lefty-friendly?

Imagine a park designed solely as a test to see if any park could contain Ser Barrold Bonds Himself.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

tarlibone posted:

How about some insurance runs, guys?

You don't have to win every game by 1 run.

Or do they?

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Akbar posted:

wait how did bochy bork this? his pinch hitting/running choices all seemed to pan out. Was it just strickland?

Every bullpen decision he made tonight was bad.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Well the Cards best player is probably done for the series, their best pitcher is a shell of himself, we know that Hunter Strickland won't be seen the rest of the postseason, and it's tied 1-1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Devil. Magic.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

6-year plan man posted:

The kolten Wong coming out party 2014 where did this guy come from? ?

The Memphis Redbirds bitch

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Every bullpen decision he made tonight was bad.

Affeldt was fine, Machi shouldn't be on the roster, and :lol: Strickland vs power lefties if he can't stick with the offspeed stuff the whole AB.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Watching the highlights again and man that Taveres swing was super sexy.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

Affeldt was fine, Machi shouldn't be on the roster, and :lol: Strickland vs power lefties if he can't stick with the offspeed stuff the whole AB.

Affeldt was fine performance-wise, but should have been saved.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel more comfortable with Lincecum against lefties than I do Strickland or Romo. Bochy, stop it already.

Some Numbers posted:

Is the Giants' stadium more or less lefty-friendly?

AT&T Park punishes LHB like mad and sometimes that makes the place a house of horrors for the home team (or at least the Brandons).

When Bochy puts all his switch hitters on the left, Posey (and this year Morse) is the only power on the lineup. Everyone else struggles with the Barry Bonds Memorial Wall and the sea air blowing in over the Barry Bonds Memorial Wall.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 13, 2014

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Akbar posted:

Well you see, he put in relief pitchers, and they gave up home runs. This means he is a terrible manager. Should've let Peavy pitch 9 innings.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Well you see, he put in relief pitchers, and they gave up home runs. This means he is a terrible manager. Should've let Peavy pitch 9 innings.

No, no, no, no you are not making this simplification. He put in his cooked reliever you had been giving up homers left and right for the second half, who gave up a homer, he put in his reliever who had been giving up homers to lefties with power against a lefty with power who hit a homer off him (for the second time after we had this knowledge), and then he put in his reliever that had been having trouble with lefties and homers all for most the year against a lefty with power immediately, who gave up a homer.

All while burning the one lefty he uses for a long time in the beginning.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scrapez posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think the Cards can win this series without Yadi. Hope that injury isn't as serious as it looked.

Yadi was not really swinging that well since the thumb injury.

The real loss is his defense, which neither Cruz nor AJP can replace. But AJP can hit a little, and also is really good at blocking pitches. Sucks at catching runners stealing though, so if the cards play the royals records may be set

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

FairGame posted:

The real loss is his defense, which neither Cruz nor AJP can replace. But AJP can hit a little, and also is really good at blocking pitches. Sucks at catching runners stealing though, so if the cards play the royals records may be set

The way things are shaking up, a good pitch blocker may be the key to victory against the even year bullshit.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

FairGame posted:

coronaball posted:

Well the Cards best player is probably done for the series, their best pitcher is a shell of himself, we know that Hunter Strickland won't be seen the rest of the postseason, and it's tied 1-1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

With the bad thumb, Molina was nowhere close to the best player on the team

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

FairGame posted:

Hell we wasn't even the best player on the Cards in 2013 :v:.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

He keeps runners honest and that's huge. He also seems to manage the game well from behind the plate...pitchers just seem more relaxed when he's back there. Maybe that's just me making poo poo up but it seems like it.

His bat is so-so. Much better than Cruz. I think I'd start AJP over Cruz. At least you get another bat in the lineup and I think he's as good or better behind the plate than Cruz.

Still think it's a big loss if Yadi can't go.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Ambassador of Funk posted:

No, no, no, no you are not making this simplification. He put in his cooked reliever you had been giving up homers left and right for the second half, who gave up a homer, he put in his reliever who had been giving up homers to lefties with power against a lefty with power who hit a homer off him (for the second time after we had this knowledge), and then he put in his reliever that had been having trouble with lefties and homers all for most the year against a lefty with power immediately, who gave up a homer.

All while burning the one lefty he uses for a long time in the beginning.

Hey get this: when you yank the starting pitcher after four innings, you have to use your bullpen. If we're not going to use Romo, Machi and Strickland then who? Casilla for 5 innings? And who is it you think should be on the roster instead of these guys anyway?

BTW, Machi gave up one HR in August and 3 in September. "Left and Right"? ehhhh.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

FairGame posted:

It wasn't the thumb that hosed him up tonight though. hosed up his oblique

Also, Pierzynski is better than Cruz

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Hey get this: when you yank the starting pitcher after four innings, you have to use your bullpen. If we're not going to use Romo, Machi and Strickland then who? Casilla for 5 innings? And who is it you think should be on the roster instead of these guys anyway?

BTW, Machi gave up one HR in August and 3 in September. "Left and Right"? ehhhh.

Petit is available for just the situation this game presented. Also Kontos if he had been left on the roster instead of Machi who over the last two months has given up 11 runs over 20 inning (or 9 over 9 innings if you want just September).

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Reign Of Pain posted:

It wasn't the thumb that hosed him up tonight though. hosed up his oblique

Also, Pierzynski is better than Cruz

Uh...no poo poo on both counts?

I'm saying that Yadi has been really bad at the plate since returning from the thumb injury.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

I'm saying that Yadi has been really bad at the plate since returning from the thumb injury.

Agree.

Since his return, he hasn't been driving the ball. He's been making contact, but probably owing to that injury, there's not a lot of force behind it. So, what would be a grounder to the outfield is now a soft grounder to an infielder. Bloopers are fly balls to the infield or shallow outfield. Home runs are fly balls. He's hitting it right at fielders, and he's not hitting it hard. His only dependable contribution to the team since the injury has been his defense. That's no small thing, but when the team is starved for runs, it only carries you so far.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tarlibone posted:

Agree.

Since his return, he hasn't been driving the ball. He's been making contact, but probably owing to that injury, there's not a lot of force behind it. So, what would be a grounder to the outfield is now a soft grounder to an infielder. Bloopers are fly balls to the infield or shallow outfield. Home runs are fly balls. He's hitting it right at fielders, and he's not hitting it hard. His only dependable contribution to the team since the injury has been his defense. That's no small thing, but when the team is starved for runs, it only carries you so far.

.269/.307/.317 in the second half, which is also the entirety of post injury Yadi.

.244/.295/.305 for AJP over the same stretch.

.157/.213/.214 :gonk: for cruz

• Locked thread