Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Welcome to the thread for

Amagi Brilliant Park is an adaptation of the light novel series by Shouji Gatou who was responsible for the Full Metal Panic series of light novels, and this is pretty much a reminder we are never getting any more FMP. The first two episodes has been pretty good, so at least that dulls the pain a little.

This is also a Kyoto Animation show, so it's pretty decently animated like most of their stuff, and also directed by Yasuhiro Takemoto who's been responsible for directing Full Metal Panic: TSR, Hyoka, and Disappearance of Haruhi, so we're in pretty good hands. Series composition is also by Fumihiko Shimo (Air, Kanon, a bunch of FMP work, and a whole whack of other stuff)

So we're in pretty good hands with this one

What's the story about

So amusement parks are created by magical kingdoms, and the customer's happiness in the park sustains them! However, if they become abandoned, the magical beings within it no longer get energy and will eventually fade away if forgotten. Kanye West is chosen to run and manage this piece of poo poo park called Amagi Brilliant Park, because Kanye West can solve problems and is really good at publicity.

Characters

Kanie Seiya (KANYE WEST)

He's super egotistical and a former actor of some sorts. He is now picked to run the lovely amusement park! Also is telepathic, because it's useful.

Sento Isuzu (FIFTY CENT)

Can summon guns from ???. Acting manager of the park. Sucks at her job.

Latifa Fleuranza (QUEEN LATIFAH)

Queen/Princess of the park. Is magical and can bestow magic on people by kissing them. Also incredibly bad at park management.

Bonta-kun Moffle

Discount bin Bonta-kun except he can talk and there is nobody inside him. He is an actual walking talking thing. Has a beef with Kanye West.

The Fanservice squad

They're here to show you their tits. If we're lucky they might actually be relevant for something!

WHEN/WHERE IS THIS STREAMING

It's NOT. I would have thought Funimation would be all over this, but they were grabbing garbage and CR didn't either. So...???

Currently have to find fansubs, Vivid is doing translations on it, and they're good enough. Hopefully I can update this if a place legally picks it up! Should drop on Fridays for downloading!

WELCOME TO THE SHITTIEST AMUSEMENT PARK AROUND!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I'm still mulling over whether or not the Literally Magic Kingdom thing is incredibly dumb or not, but the rest of the show has been totally solid so far. Vaguely-supernatural comedies have always sorta been KyoAni's strong suit, and this one also has one of their most talented directors on it. Here's hoping it doesn't get too light novely. I still believe in you, KyoAni! Even after Kyoukai no Kanata and Chuu2 Ren! Don't gently caress this up!

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Every time Kanie uses his powers I am imagining the little visitor bubbles from Rollercoaster Tycoon instead.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I knew those names sounded familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm strongly hoping for an in-depth business comedy look at the theme park industry. If it's just cute girls in states of undress and inappropriately behaving mascots I think it'll get old fast.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
seriously though why did Cross Ange get picked up and not this

Is KyoAni super expensive to license or something?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

I'm strongly hoping for an in-depth business comedy look at the theme park industry. If it's just cute girls in states of undress and inappropriately behaving mascots I think it'll get old fast.

The key to happiness is low expectations. Debating if I should check the series out because KyoAni and my love of management sim games ? :3:

Perhaps.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

No idea, Hyouka never got picked up either.

I like it so far, even if it was a little funny to get a total :yosbutt: shot; KyoAni usually seems to go out of their way to even avoid showing someone's underwear.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rand Brittain posted:

Wasn't Gundam Seed, like, ridiculously successful for Sunrise? Hell, didn't they re-broadcast it in HD recently or something? Maybe because Fukuda has his trademark all over it that they decided to go with Cross Ange instead of this. Anyway, let's not talk about those terrible shows any longer.

Was economy that popular of a topic in anime / manga / LN's before the Maoyuu/Log Horizon dude started writing about it like his life depended on it?

e: vvvvv poo poo, I forgot about Spice and Wolf! Weird, too, since the main duo is voiced by the same two VA's that voiced the Dark Lord / Hero in Maoyuu along with Karen / Lelouch in Code Geass and they're pretty fun in their banters across shows. vvvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 13, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Was economy that popular of a topic in anime / manga / LN's before the Maoyuu/Log Horizon dude started writing about it like his life depended on it?

Spice and Wolf is a classic that predates those two. Don't know about before that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait wait wait wait wait.

The characters are actually named after rappers?

God drat I gotta get in on this.

Do the fanservice chicks have rap-themed names too?

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait.

The characters are actually named after rappers?

God drat I gotta get in on this.

Do the fanservice chicks have rap-themed names too?

No, but Kanye's sister might be Ice Cube.

Anyway, this show is starting off well. I expect things to go downhill after the halfway point, but so far it's been an easy enough watch. I had a really good laugh in the 2nd episode, mainly because the little crocodile mascot ruined the drama when Latifa said they might shut the park down.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

(02): Is the main bad guy supposed to be Chris Brown?

If it's not I'm going to continue to pretend it is unless it's something even better.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
^ Kurisu Takaya = Chris Tucker.

This is a rather funny show with excellent direction and I am enjoying it greatly. I hope that won't change midway like most of the recent Kyoani shows I've tried, but what we have right now is rather promising and the character performances and comic timing are executed masterfully.

Gatoh sure is skirting that fine line between genius and madness, but I think that's part of the appeal.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

I knew those names sounded familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on why.
It gets better. There's a character named Kyuubu Aisu later on, too.

The MC being named Kanye West and being highly egotistical makes me laugh, it shows the author is at least aware enough of the Western music scene to give appropriate personalities to his amusingly-named characters. Fifty Cent brandishing guns is also a nice touch, since he is well-known for his former streetlife :whatup:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Xythar posted:

^ Kurisu Takaya = Chris Tucker.

That's great in a different way (seems we're moving outside of music and into general pop culture), but Chris Brown would have been way more apt.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

I like it so far, even if it was a little funny to get a total :yosbutt: shot; KyoAni usually seems to go out of their way to even avoid showing someone's underwear.

Yeah... that threw me off.

I finally checked this show and it looks like KyoAni finally got their poo poo together. Trademark quality animation, no annoying/bad characters (yet; I'll give the elemental tits a few episodes to prove themselves), and it was really well directed; simply put, it's a far cry from the crap they've been making GBS threads out recently. I thought I would hate Kanye, since he is the *perfect dude* whose only downside is being a narcissist, but he only kinda annoys me so far.

If episode 3 goes well, I'll probably stick with this.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

the elemental tits

Disrespectful!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
In light of the flashback to Kanye and Latifa (or someone a lot like her) in the first episode, I'm betting that he isn't actually a narcissist, he overacts and overachieves in orer to prop up his poor self-confidence. The reason he left acting is because he discovered that his success was actually due to magic (or however it was explained, since he may or may not have already known about magic at the start of the first episode; either way, he's clearly really angry with the girl in the flashback), causing him to lose faith in himself.

I have no idea whether or not this pans out, since I know fuckall about the source material and we're still pretty early, but it'd be a standard direction for the series to go. I can't think of any non-comedy characters who don't have some Dark Past behind apparent narcissism.

Totally ready to be wrong, though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Einander posted:

In light of the flashback to Kanye and Latifa (or someone a lot like her) in the first episode, I'm betting that he isn't actually a narcissist, he overacts and overachieves in orer to prop up his poor self-confidence. The reason he left acting is because he discovered that his success was actually due to magic (or however it was explained, since he may or may not have already known about magic at the start of the first episode; either way, he's clearly really angry with the girl in the flashback), causing him to lose faith in himself.

I have no idea whether or not this pans out, since I know fuckall about the source material and we're still pretty early, but it'd be a standard direction for the series to go. I can't think of any non-comedy characters who don't have some Dark Past behind apparent narcissism.

Totally ready to be wrong, though.

Apparently the source material is like four books at this point (It started in 2013) so whatever we get from this anime anything resembling a conclusion or extensive backstory is probably out of the question.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

madmac posted:

Apparently the source material is like four books at this point (It started in 2013) so whatever we get from this anime anything resembling a conclusion or extensive backstory is probably out of the question.

Apparently they extended the deadline for the park's closure in the anime, so they're probably going to have the climax of the first book ("Kanye saves the park") at the end of the season with some filler from the later books sprinkled in earlier.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I honestly thought you photoshopped Bonta-kun's eyes in the OP. What the.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
I like the girl who pulls the muskets out of nowhere. She seems like the calm and collected type. Not the kind to lose her head, is what I'm trying to say.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Joshlemagne posted:

I like the girl who pulls the muskets out of nowhere. She seems like the calm and collected type. Not the kind to lose her head, is what I'm trying to say.
But maybe the type to lose a head bone (that is made out of crystal).

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Episode 3 is out.

I didn't like it quite as much as the first two, but I think they're building up to something. Probably.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Xythar posted:

Episode 3 is out.

I didn't like it quite as much as the first two, but I think they're building up to something. Probably.

thanks to you and the other people that make up Vivid for picking up this show. are you going to work on the Tamako Market movie?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

thanks to you and the other people that make up Vivid for picking up this show. are you going to work on the Tamako Market movie?

No, but some friends of mine at Commie will be subbing it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well cleaning up the park and getting some advertising out there was a good first step but I want to see what else they'll do to spice up specific attractions or whatever.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Well cleaning up the park and getting some advertising out there was a good first step but I want to see what else they'll do to spice up specific attractions or whatever.

There'll probably be a Tanabata episode since it's a holiday that fits within that span.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I hope things turn up for Alligator Dinosaur man. I felt bad for him :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

tags: #feminism in anime

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Fifty Cent-chan don' give a gently caress 'bout yo patriarchy.

Also, what do you think the odds are she'll have to use one of those memory wiping bullets on Kanye in the end?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Redcrimson posted:

Fifty Cent-chan don' give a gently caress 'bout yo patriarchy.

Also, what do you think the odds are she'll have to use one of those memory wiping bullets on Kanye in the end?

I bet they'll set it up, although I doubt they'll go through with it for ~reasons~.

fun with voice-actors:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There are like 4 LNs already out, aren't there? I doubt anything will be made of using them on Kanye.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Redcrimson posted:

I'm pretty sure she already used on on Kanye in the past. As he has fragmented memories about him meeting Queen Latifah as a child but can't seem to remember anymore I don't think that rules out what you predict by any means, but they'll probably drop that first and that will be the bigger plot point.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

New episode!

50 Cent actually has emotions, Kanye's weakness has been discovered and Air is still retarded

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Hmm, from the way Queen Latifa acted in the first episode I could have sworn she remembered Kanye from back whenever, but I suppose not. Unless she's lying or lost her own memories but It doesn't look that way.

Nice to get some background on 50 Cent, anyways.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

oh fate/zero saber and moffle have the same voice actress. i wondered why there were all these pictures

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

madmac posted:

Hmm, from the way Queen Latifa acted in the first episode I could have sworn she remembered Kanye from back whenever, but I suppose not. Unless she's lying or lost her own memories but It doesn't look that way.
Boy, I wonder if those memory-loss bullets that were introduced last time might have something to do with that.

• Locked thread