Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Always aim for exceptional and then see where you actually land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Alder posted:

I said I don't like following rules and not that I refuse to follow *all* rules :unsmith:

Pretty much OK w/average life myself I don't have a goal to become the next batman or anything. These days I'm more interested in Not That Bad Life than Extraordinary Life but that's just me ofc.

Reminds me, where did OP go anyways?

You are the new OP, sadbrains-chan

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

origami posted:

You are the new OP, sadbrains-chan

So do you think the local Amazon warehouse will hire me? Or should I apply to work in the oil fields of Canada?

Side note: I have tried retail and I would rather not.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Alder posted:

So do you think the local Amazon warehouse will hire me? Or should I apply to work in the oil fields of Canada?

Side note: I have tried retail and I would rather not.

At least applying to the warehouse would be a good start. I'm not sure if the oil fields would give you any money for moving and I have no clue if they are still in need of unskilled laborers. Also you would probably have to follow a lot of rules up there and the surrounding areas are very expensive to live in from what I have heard.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

-Must be able to work on a secure mezzanine at a height of up to 40 feet (applies to buildings with mezzanines)

Hmm---I have Acrophobia so that may be out too.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You could also get yourself committed/incarcerated old/new OP.. free room and free meals all you have to do is watch your back/butthole

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Alder posted:

-Must be able to work on a secure mezzanine at a height of up to 40 feet (applies to buildings with mezzanines)

Hmm---I have Acrophobia so that may be out too.

Well aside from excuses and not following rules what are you good at or interested in? Don't say art or music because you need talent and drive for that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tautologicus posted:

You could also get yourself committed/incarcerated old/new OP.. free room and free meals all you have to do is watch your back/butthole

That requires a new level of dedication I don't want to consider :colbert:

IIRC the last time I read there was a prison scandal something about prisoners dying more often than usual.

origami posted:

Well aside from excuses and not following rules what are you good at or interested in? Don't say art or music because you need talent and drive for that.

I enjoy taking naps.

Well, there's always higher education left. Most entry-level jobs do require some form of degree unless it's family business and they care enough to not fire you.

Whoa, whoa, lack of talent/drive has never stopped anyone from pursuing Bad Career Ideas ever. However, my lack of a contacts and/or being independently wealthy might.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Well I assumed your ambiguous posts 'for a friend' were to avoid a Bad Career Idea but if further plummeting down the hole of student loans is worth it to you then well...

How old are you?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

origami posted:

Well I assumed your ambiguous posts 'for a friend' were to avoid a Bad Career Decision but if further plummeting down the hole of student loans is worth it to you then well...

How old are you?

I'm 22 =)

Fortunately, as a HS student I had realistic ideas and (thankfully) did not apply to all private schools, all the time, like everyone else. I think it's possible if I ran the numbers I can pay off my loans in less than 3-7 years ...

Presuming I don't get into some horrible medical-related accident or become ill. Thanks, America.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You need to get creative, and courageous, fast. Do something.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tautologicus posted:

You need to get creative, and courageous, fast. Do something.

I got it.

Nighttime security guard because I can use all that free time to create the next modern TGAN and/or improve my other creative skills.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I used to get all regretful and poo poo because I felt I had missed my chance to do something worthwhile with my life. When I was younger I always wanted to be a scientist, but various poo poo in school which bled into university led to my becoming depressed and then dropping out. I then went to college for computing, and got depressed again and dropped out.

I'm not cut out to be the person I wanted to be when I was younger. When I tried and failed at higher education, being faced with that fact caused me a lot of depression. Then I realised that the vast vast majority of people aren't Great in the sense of the work they do, virtually everyone on planet Earth is not a scientist or an athlete or a musician or a painter, but people learn to be happy with what they had. What depressed me was that I thought I had greatness in me and couldn't find a way to get it out. My epiphany that ended my depression was that I was merely a normal person destined for nothing but a normal life.

I left harebrained schemes and dreams behind, instead I decided merely to focus on just having the most enjoyable average life possible. I'm happier now than I was when I wouldn't let go of the idea I could be better than I was, and honestly I think I'm happier than I think I would be if somehow I had managed to achieve the life I once wanted. I'd just have ended up a perennially depressed bundle of stress.

My advice is to really look at yourself before making these big plans. You need to know yourself before you can know what to do with your life. Just be prepared for the knowledge you gain to be "I am not special", that's a totally OK thing to be.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I agree with that, i have come to similar conclusions, still i will stick by what I said before. I'm not great and don't want to be but I don't feel held down. That's the feeling I want people to notice and address. Held down by expectations, fear, what you "should do". gently caress all that. Be your own person, however you do that. So I agree but I want to try to point out the nuance there

Edit actually i do feel held down so maybe the only thing is that i noticed it, not that i "did something about it" whatever that would be. I keep seeing the extent of my bondage. But it's like a chinese finger trap, keep squirming and it grabs you tighter...

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 18, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nobody does. That's why they have penalties for not following them.

Some people do. Some people love it.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Some people do. Some people love it.

This is true. My current job is for a large corporation so there are endless safety videos and manuals we regularly have to watch and read. There are rules for everything that you could ever imagine and everyone here just loving loves it. If you want to change a god damned light bulb you've got to find the right person, make a requisition, fill out an order form, all kinds of bullshit that just slows everything down and most everyone here can't get enough of it!

There's one guy, though that is a stickler for rules of all kinds except that he rides a bike everday and refues to wear a helmet. This guy refuses to ever drive one mph over the speed limit but insists "gently caress helmets."

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Contact a doctor, and or, your state's vocational rehabilitation\vocational education for people with disabilities place. They will help you figure out what you can do, even if it's some night shift help desk job somewhere or stocking shelves in a warehouse.
NY has vesid
http://www.acces.nysed.gov/vr/

Sorry your life sucks OP.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Sell drugs? that's what most people in your position do

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
of course if you pull a bunch of ridiculous poo poo in that context you'll be in real trouble

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Reveilled posted:

My advice is to really look at yourself before making these big plans. You need to know yourself before you can know what to do with your life. Just be prepared for the knowledge you gain to be "I am not special", that's a totally OK thing to be.

I feel your pain and I'm totally OK w/being normal w/a 9-5 job somewhere in town. I don't mind pursuing my hobbies/interest during weekends/breaks. The thing is well, normal feels so *far* away when I'm stuck in what feels like endless bland days. I mean if I made a list of priorities it'd be : Have Health insurance/dental benefits.

Tautologicus posted:

I agree with that, i have come to similar conclusions, still i will stick by what I said before. I'm not great and don't want to be but I don't feel held down.

Sorry, do you mean "held down" by expectations by family/friends or yourself? I mean you can't do much about the former but the latter you can manage w/therapy and/or etc.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Contact a doctor, and or, your state's vocational rehabilitation\vocational education for people with disabilities place. They will help you figure out what you can do, even if it's some night shift help desk job somewhere or stocking shelves in a warehouse.
NY has vesid
http://www.acces.nysed.gov/vr/

Sorry your life sucks OP.

Not OP, but will check this out regardless. Thanks.

The-Mole posted:

Sell drugs? that's what most people in your position do

B-but I need those :chillpill:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MettleRamiel posted:

This is true. My current job is for a large corporation so there are endless safety videos and manuals we regularly have to watch and read. There are rules for everything that you could ever imagine and everyone here just loving loves it. If you want to change a god damned light bulb you've got to find the right person, make a requisition, fill out an order form, all kinds of bullshit that just slows everything down and most everyone here can't get enough of it!

There's one guy, though that is a stickler for rules of all kinds except that he rides a bike everday and refues to wear a helmet. This guy refuses to ever drive one mph over the speed limit but insists "gently caress helmets."

I've never worn a helmet on a bike in my gee dee life

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The Syrian civil war would love to have you as a participant.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

I've never worn a helmet on a bike in my gee dee life

I've always thought of not wearing a helmet in the same category as not wearing a seatbelt in terms of making really dumb life decisions. People talk about it being dumb to smoke cigarettes, but at least there's the excuse that they make you feel kind of nice and are addictive. It's just so trivially easy to use a helmet, and the potential downside couldn't be bigger. I think a lot of people think of it in the same vein as wearing knee/shoulderpads, which can be kind of goofy/overkill, but if your head hits pavement it's not like it's just going to skin your scalp.

(I would literally be dead or a vegetable if I hadn't worn a helmet this one time I had a bicycle accident and my head smashed into the curb and cracked the helmet, so I always feel the compulsion to be a living PSA about the topic, particularly given how many people I see riding around without a helmet all the time. My dad took x-rays in a trauma center when I was kid, so he would always see the results of people not wearing helmets/seatbelts.)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah there is literally no reason whatsoever to not wear a helmet other than some lame "it will mess my hair up" fashion argument which of course falls flat on its face because any serious bicyclist is going to make fun of you for not wearing a helmet. I mean yeah pads and spandex and whatnot make you look dumb but a helmet is just there to protect your goddamn brain when you crash (which often happens due to outside factors not relating to how good you are at riding a bike.) I mean I'm not gonna force you to wear one but I will judge you and I will call you a retard.

I knew someone that died from smacking their head while not wearing a helmet, and many more that have cracked helmets wide open and walked away completely unharmed. It's the same thing with motorcycles, people will wear full gear but no helmet, and on a motorcycle it makes even more sense to wear one because without a helmet you've got 70mph wind blasting your face.

To get back on topic OP: being an adult sucks, make the best of it and find a niche where you can deal with the rules. Seeing a doctor will help.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 19, 2014

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care
I help people with emotional and learning disabilities find work. That's my career.

Like SHH IT ZOMBIE said, Google your state's Vocational Rehabilitation department. I'm fairly certain every state has to have one.

They will interview you and find out what your disability is. They can help you with SSI if you qualify, help you find a place to live if you're in danger of becoming homeless, and they even pay for some schooling depending on your situation. I do this with high school kids in Special Ed so they have some kind of income when they leave high school and they can survive on their own.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

deathsuxdontdie posted:

I help people with emotional and learning disabilities find work. That's my career.

Ah, a tech recruiter.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
you dont need a college degree to teach in certain countries over seas.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rap Music and Dope posted:

you dont need a college degree to teach in certain countries over seas.

Yeah, someone who's sufficiently enough of a fuckup that they can't hold a job in their hometown will certainly be able to deal with the additional stress of living in a completely unfamiliar environment very far away from anyone they know. This is wonderful advice!

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

OP, I'm BiPolar and had the same problem you have, where I couldn't hold down a job.

It's best that I'm blunt with you. You'll never be worth anything to anyone unless you cut the poo poo. You're not owed anything by anyone. When you work for someone else, it's not whether or not something seems stupid or a waste of time. You do it anyway, and above all you make it look like you're trying really hard at whatever it is.
Being an adult sucks. Get used to it.

Also, get a skill. I learned programming. Now I get paid, and now my sometimes abrasive personality doesn't screw me over.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

PT6A posted:

Yeah, someone who's sufficiently enough of a fuckup that they can't hold a job in their hometown will certainly be able to deal with the additional stress of living in a completely unfamiliar environment very far away from anyone they know. This is wonderful advice!

Neither was the French foreign legion but it was interesting to read about it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah there is literally no reason whatsoever to not wear a helmet other than some lame "it will mess my hair up" fashion argument which of course falls flat on its face because any serious bicyclist is going to make fun of you for not wearing a helmet. I mean yeah pads and spandex and whatnot make you look dumb but a helmet is just there to protect your goddamn brain when you crash (which often happens due to outside factors not relating to how good you are at riding a bike.) I mean I'm not gonna force you to wear one but I will judge you and I will call you a retard.

I knew someone that died from smacking their head while not wearing a helmet, and many more that have cracked helmets wide open and walked away completely unharmed. It's the same thing with motorcycles, people will wear full gear but no helmet, and on a motorcycle it makes even more sense to wear one because without a helmet you've got 70mph wind blasting your face.

To get back on topic OP: being an adult sucks, make the best of it and find a niche where you can deal with the rules. Seeing a doctor will help.

I don't wear one because I don't care.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I know someone who kept bitching because the city made it a law to wear a helmet while wearing a bicycle. His complaints were so stupid, like "I don't want to look like an elementary school kid!", like literally he thought they looked stupid so he shouldn't be forced to wear one. Even when you can look at statistics and easily see the difference in bicycle injuries and fatalities in areas which force helmets vs. those which don't. So frustrating to argue with nonsense like that.

I once nearly got my head chopped off while riding a bike, a van parked on the sidewalk with its trunk open and I didn't realize it until too late. The trunk was the perfect level to where my head was and I got knocked off, I only had some bruises from the fall but no doubt I'd be in a much worse place had I not been wearing that helmet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Neither was the French foreign legion but it was interesting to read about it.

True. I guess the only reasonable advice, "get medicated if you need it, and get your poo poo together," is pretty boring and not really open to interesting stories being told.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I mostly wear a helmet but sometimes just say 'gently caress it' when I'm in a rush. With that being said a friend of mine was cut off on Huntington in Boston, hit a curb and went head over handlebars and broke his neck. He has a titanium rod in his neck now and the last time I spoke to him he couldn't turn his head to the left. The left side of his body would go numb occasionally. As far as I know he is back to being healthy.

Long story short, new OP should wear a helmet when looking for a job.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Volunteer Farming. You will, however, have to learn to get over yourself, work like a maniac, and deal with some people, for the good of the world.

https://wwoofusa.org/

the people who do these kind of things are annoyingly social, outgoing traveler types. it might be a good option for a traveler in a foreign place for a short vist, but it's a horrible long-term suggestion. you are making ZERO money working on these farms. if you ever need anything but what food they offer, you are poo poo out of luck. so, you're pretty much a voluntary slave who doesn't even have the potential upward mobility to obtain a twix bar if desired. there is a righteous tinge to wwoof's presentation, but it's bullshit. you are legally grey cheap labor, nothing more.

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 22, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My brother did that and met a super-cool couple who had sold everything and bought some land in the middle of nowhere. They lived in a trailer and grew/traded for everything they ate, and it was pretty drat cool. Not something I would choose to do but he made some lifelong friends out of it.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

the people who do these kind of things are annoyingly social, outgoing traveler types. it might be a good option for a traveler in a foreign place for a short vist, but it's a horrible long-term suggestion. you are making ZERO money working on these farms. if you ever need anything but what food they offer, you are poo poo out of luck. so, you're pretty much a voluntary slave who doesn't even have the potential upward mobility to obtain a twix bar if desired. there is a righteous tinge to wwoof's presentation, but it's bullshit. you are legally grey cheap labor, nothing more.

Did wwoof for a month in hawaii earlier this year and this is all true. Wwoofers drink alot and its easy to get laid if you want to/arent a total human being. Those werent really plusses to me though and the work was stupid and my free time wasn't very free so I left.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

As a serious answer, try a temp agency, there shouldn't be any issue finding short term temps covering for people on maternity leave and such, you should be able to find 3 month or shorter temps.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

origami posted:

Long story short, new OP should wear a helmet when looking for a job.

Also, OP should consider buying multiple helmets just to be safe.

I guess, I don't mind wearing one but it's a bit of a pain to carry it around everywhere when you arrive. Unless you have a motorcycle helmet and that just adds +10 Coolness to everything you're wearing.

I knew a HS student who got into a motorcycle accident. Luckily, he wore his helmet and only needed a few months at the hospital. IIRC he did end up missing some midterms and exams during the year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Skid row, I recommend flying to LA on Christmas day for cheap ticket prices.

• Locked thread