Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
By "our" I am referring to my nation of origin, Israel.

e: i'll save the above because that's funny but realtalk though why can't we beat irregulars with soviet era weapons give me my tax money back idiot fuckers

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
its actually quite interesting, we are well equipped to deal with even a moderately modern army but when you combine these factors -

1) require low US casualties
2) unconventional opponents
3) modern media, world opinion

no amount of our tax money will make much of a difference. frankly I dont know what we're going to do.

as a little side note, a centralized enemy like ISIS is becoming is quite a bit easier to hurt than, say, the Taliban. However when you combine 1 and 3, we're still in trouble

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.

my penis does that sometimes

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
can we just out source our army to third worlders and just do better proxy wars maybe make a few billion ak-47's and air drop them where we want browns to die.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
The reason is because the west likes to do nice wars. Nice wars don't really work unless you have someone to do the not nice parts of war for you. The best you can get are stalemates like Iraq under the occupation and Afghanistan. Like to win this war the west would have to round up every for sure non combatant Sunni in the region and take everything they own and dump them in a ghetto and murder the Sunnis who have any percentage chance of being sympathetic to IS. America and Europe have convinced themselves that wars can be won without systematic murder of vast sums of innocent people. I'm not saying we should murder them btw, I think we should stay the gently caress out of it. I'm just saying IF we are going into it and want to win we should be prepared to murder an entire culture worth of people.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ISIS is about to start attacking Baghdad and it's just like :wtc:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 13, 2014

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

OLDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

whats ur point, papist

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

take all the drones flying around pakistan blowing up maybe innocent people creating more terrorists and send them en masse at ISIS. at the very least drop munitions and arms for the Kurds (too late at this point though).
I'm pretty sure america's current foreign policy is "don't do stupid poo poo". That is why your pew pew shootmans fantasy isn't happening.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wit posted:

I'm pretty sure america's current foreign policy is "don't do stupid poo poo". That is why your pew pew shootmans fantasy isn't happening.

it's not a pew pew shootmans fantasy. we're already loving bombing them. it's just that if we are going to do something do it right instead of half heartedly 'helping' the Kurds while ISIS rolls around doing whatever the gently caress they want. we should have more than enough air capability to help in a more substantial way and if we don't then someone has been lying through their teeth to get more sweet tax dollars.

MegaGatts posted:

The reason is because the west likes to do nice wars. Nice wars don't really work unless you have someone to do the not nice parts of war for you. The best you can get are stalemates like Iraq under the occupation and Afghanistan. Like to win this war the west would have to round up every for sure non combatant Sunni in the region and take everything they own and dump them in a ghetto and murder the Sunnis who have any percentage chance of being sympathetic to IS. America and Europe have convinced themselves that wars can be won without systematic murder of vast sums of innocent people. I'm not saying we should murder them btw, I think we should stay the gently caress out of it. I'm just saying IF we are going into it and want to win we should be prepared to murder an entire culture worth of people.

we should stop pretending like the locals want to have anything to do with us in the places ISIS has already taken. best strategy at this point is to declare Kurdistan a legit state carved out of the parts of it in Iraq and Turkey, send in troops and supplies to help the Kurds keep ISIS out and establish their own borders, then let poo poo die down. The more we bomb and attack the more recruits ISIS gets.

Turkey would be super pissed but who really cares they are assholes. ISIS already controls large swathes of Iraq so it's not like the Iraqi government would be losing territory. The whole 'we will help the Kurds but only if they agree to be part of the Iraqi government' is idiotic.

Stop this blustering about with Iran and just let them do what they want. If we weren't threatening their asses constantly and invading poo poo all around them they probably wouldn't have such a beef with us anymore but it's like we just keep re-opening old wounds. That's why they want nukes, just to make Israel and the West leave them the gently caress alone. That's why any state wants nukes in 2014.

and gently caress Saudi Arabia too idk why the hell we're on their dicks so bad.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

wit posted:

I'm pretty sure america's current foreign policy is "don't do stupid poo poo".

I doubt this has been true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

US foreign policy is getting cock burned and then deciding it's a good idea to stick it in the burning tar/sand filled barrel again that is the middle east.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

it's not a pew pew shootmans fantasy. we're already loving bombing them. it's just that if we are going to do something do it right instead of half heartedly 'helping' the Kurds while ISIS rolls around doing whatever the gently caress they want. we should have more than enough air capability to help in a more substantial way and if we don't then someone has been lying through their teeth to get more sweet tax dollars.

we should stop pretending like the locals want to have anything to do with us in the places ISIS has already taken. best strategy at this point is to declare Kurdistan a legit state carved out of the parts of it in Iraq and Turkey, send in troops and supplies to help the Kurds keep ISIS out and establish their own borders, then let poo poo die down. The more we bomb and attack the more recruits ISIS gets.

Turkey would be super pissed but who really cares they are assholes. ISIS already controls large swathes of Iraq so it's not like the Iraqi government would be losing territory. The whole 'we will help the Kurds but only if they agree to be part of the Iraqi government' is idiotic.

Stop this blustering about with Iran and just let them do what they want. If we weren't threatening their asses constantly and invading poo poo all around them they probably wouldn't have such a beef with us anymore but it's like we just keep re-opening old wounds. That's why they want nukes, just to make Israel and the West leave them the gently caress alone. That's why any state wants nukes in 2014.

and gently caress Saudi Arabia too idk why the hell we're on their dicks so bad.

the best plan is if someone doesn't need sun tan lotion shoot them unless they are a US soldier.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

to the point that we have to cut social programs and infrastructure spending but when it comes down to it we can't beat some irregulars with soviet era technology into submission?

what is this pussyfooting around with ineffectual airstrikes send in a squadron of attack helicopters and clear kobani out, pentagon dildos. we pay you enough money for it. take all the drones flying around pakistan blowing up maybe innocent people creating more terrorists and send them en masse at ISIS. at the very least drop munitions and arms for the Kurds (too late at this point though).

what the gently caress where is my money going?

loving shithouse f35

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUGZwlLoZh0

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the US' military expenditure accounts for over 36% of the entire world's military expenditure.

we spend as much as the next 9 countries down the list combined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

and we have nothing to show for it

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Moridin920 posted:

the US' military expenditure accounts for over 36% of the entire world's military expenditure.

we spend as much as the next 9 countries down the list combined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

and we have nothing to show for it

We have lots and lots of public sector jobs that conservatives don't mind funding. That's the biggest benefit of it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the fact that it is a jobs program is probably the funniest thing about it because not only is it true but a lot of conservatives will get really butthurt about it. it's the only defensible thing about the bloated budget really.

my question is why can't we restructure the jobs program into something more beneficial? there's plenty of work that needs doing that doesn't involve blowing the poo poo out of people (ineffectually). we could have probably colonized mars by now if we wanted to just piss money away at the same rate the military does. revitalize the jobs corp and turn it into a 2nd CCC, fix all these broken rear end bridges and poo poo.

plus there's the issue of the inefficiency in terms of job creation that the military really gives us. we could be doing so much better.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

the fact that it is a jobs program is probably the funniest thing about it because not only is it true but a lot of conservatives will get really butthurt about it. it's the only defensible thing about the bloated budget really.

my question is why can't we restructure the jobs program into something more beneficial? there's plenty of work that needs doing that doesn't involve blowing the poo poo out of people (ineffectually). we could have probably colonized mars by now if we wanted to just piss money away at the same rate the military does.

plus there's the issue of the inefficiency in terms of job creation that the military really gives us. we could be doing so much better.

military is basically the worst at job creation both in terms of efficiency not to mention bombs not having much long term use.

Things like federal mass transit grants for example create far more jobs per dollar plus provide a long term benefit for a metro area.

Even social programs like food stamps or unemployment payments provide more stimulus type benefit to the economy than military spending.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
no wicked explosions though

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
It always makes me poo poo myself when I hear the price tag for one or two missiles or a single load of bullets for a chopper or a jet.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

It always makes me poo poo myself when I hear the price tag for one or two missiles or a single load of bullets for a chopper or a jet.

im ur pants and i say: stop it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
disband medicare and the military

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

hmmm yes good point

*creates warship that aggressively corrodes due to the designers forgetting how batteries work*

*spends $1.5 trillion on a a turkey of a plane*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
goddamn I forgot about that loving ship

"don't worry just install our anti-corrosion measures for a few extra dozen millioin per ship lololololo"

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 13, 2014

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hahah explain the ship pls

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

they built this ship
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Independence_(LCS-2)

which due to the metals used acts a giant battery in the sense that galvanic corrosion makes the hull dissolve on a molecular level.

quote:

In 2010, the Navy asked for an additional $5.3 million to correct problems found in the sea trials.[34] Galvanic corrosion caused by an aluminum hull in contact with the stainless steel propulsion system with sea water acting as an electrolyte, and electrical currents not fully isolated, caused "aggressive corrosion."[35][36] Prior to the discovery of corrosion, Austal and General Dynamics had both agreed to dissolve their relationship with each other and agree to act as competitors in March.[37] The cause of the split was due to the planned competition between Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics.[37] Prior to the split, General Dynamics was to continue maintenance on the ship after it entered service.[38] In 2011 the corrosion problem was found to be even worse than expected and repair would require time in a drydock to completely remove the water jets.[39] In response, Austal blamed the U.S. Navy for not properly maintaining the ship.[40][41] However the Navy replied that the electrical insulation had been improperly installed during construction.[42] Later Austal said it had found a fix for the problem that would be tested on the third Austal LCS ship.[43] In 2011, seven U.S. senators sent a letter to the Department of Defense questioning the management of the corrosion problems of Independence.[44] In July 2011, Navy Public Information Officer Christopher G. Johnson said that a "cathodic protection system" would be installed on the ship.[45] Such systems generally consist of strategically located deposits of "sacrificial metals" which act as an anode to reduce corrosion of the metal being protected.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Orkin Mang posted:

http://www.wired.com/2011/06/shipbuilder-blames-navy-as-brand-new-warship-disintegrates/

quote:

There are technical terms for this kind of disintegration. Austal USA, Independence‘s Alabama-based builder, calls it “galvanic corrosion.” Civilian scientists know it as “electrolysis.” It’s what occurs when “two dissimilar metals, after being in electrical contact with one another, corrode at different rates,” Austal explained in a statement.

“That suggests to me the metal is completely gone, not rusted,” naval analyst Raymond Pritchett wrote of Independence‘s problem.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
mayhaps if we embiggened that pie slice we could build a plane that doesnt suffocate the pilot

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is some poo poo people building ships in the 1700s had issues with it's not something new and weird by any means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion#Royal_Navy_and_HMS_Alarm posted:

The conclusion reported to the Admiralty in 1763, was that iron should not be allowed direct contact with copper in sea water to avoid corrosion.[5][6]

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
for 2.5 tril i can build u a tank that gives its crew and everyone in a five mile radius Hell Of Cancer

naem
May 29, 2011

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
as long as we're talking about tanks

http://www.businessinsider.com/congress-forcing-the-army-to-make-tanks-2012-10

quote:

Earlier this year Army chief of staff Gen. Raymond T. Odierno told Congress that it would save taxpayers $3 billion if the Pentagon holds off repairing, refurbishing or making new M-1 Abrams tanks for three years until new technologies are developed.

There are currently more than 2,000 inactive M-1 Abrams tanks sitting at an Army depot in the California desert.

"Our tank fleet is in good shape and we don't need to [make repairs] because of the great support that we have gotten over the last two years," he told the House armed services committee.

But Congress set aside $181 million for tanks in the proposed congressional budget for next year and a bipartisan group of 173 House members sent a letter to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta on April 20 that urged him to support their decision to produce more 60-plus-ton vehicles.

army: hey we don't need more tanks
congress: lol we're building more

:psyduck:

quote:

Despite the assurances from the Army's chief of staff, Rep. Silvestre Reyes—who has received $64,000 from General Dynamics since 2001—played the national security card, saying "we don't want to play Russian Roulette with the national security of this country."
General Dynamics being the contractor building the tanks.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 13, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*opens closet* *is buried under an avalanche of m1 abramses* looks like those clowns in congress have done it again!!

naem
May 29, 2011

Presented without comment, the entirety of the movie "pentagon wars"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0rcHWN1n10&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

MegaGatts posted:

My boss now was one of the guys who was responsible for targeting air strikes and airborne missions in the initial invasion of Afghanistan. He says that every time he brought up obvious military targets, the General officers would postpone those attacks for days on end, sometimes even having Colin Powell himself veto legitimate targets, and tell him to drop their biggest bombs on uninhabited mountains instead. This basically made everyone, friend and enemy alike, think that air strikes were completely useless.

What I'm saying is the American leadership doesn't think the American people can handle a real war, and instead fights a constantly losing battle for political expediency. Total war, or no war at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

naem posted:

Presented without comment, the entirety of the movie "pentagon wars"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0rcHWN1n10&feature=youtube_gdata_player

just watch this bit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

• Locked thread