Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Upon directly encountering his betrothed's infidelity, Mr Lundswick remarked "well fortune favours the bold!"

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Actual joke from this bad book:

a rape pun. he won't let a woman borrow money from him during this non-consensual heavy petting

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I'm very concerned about this one. Did he kill 3 wives off? Why is it titled "Indian Dreaming?" (Is it a bride-burning thing?)

How are you "lucky" that all 3 of your wives are DEAD?

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Orange Sunshine posted:

A NEW NAME FOR A RIDICULE

A lady having left her ridicule behind her in a milliner's shop, one of the Fribbles immediately ran after her, and presenting it to her very politely, said, "Madam, I have the honour of returning to you your snot-bag".

(So what the hell was a ridicule?)

Best guess is it's an olde timey spelling of http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reticule

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Jonny 290 posted:

"peggy's a slut and when she bends over to take some dick, her big frilly skirts flip up over her back like a squirrel's tail" i'm pretty sure

Huh, I'd assume that the joke "she covers her back with her tail" was about her selling her tail for a living, thus being able to put clothes on her back.

It's early slut-shaming in either case.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Huh, I'd assume that the joke "she covers her back with her tail" was about her selling her tail for a living, thus being able to put clothes on her back.

yeah thats what i was thinking.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Oh, drat, you nailed it. nice!

"if he had gun" refuted in 1815

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

mookface posted:

A taciturn cooper of forty and two was trekking through a wood past dark. With him was a young boy, of whom was previously indentured to the man. It was a dark and foreboding night and a thick fog hung on the moors. 'Mister I'm scared!' Proclaimed the youngster.

'You think you have it dire boy', replied the man 'I have to walk out of this thicket alone'

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Let's go a bit older - English humour hasn't changed since the 13th century, it's always been about cuckolds:

tl/dr:

Absolom wants to gently caress Alison, but Nicholas is already loving her, thus cucking the carpenter, Alisons stupid and fat husband. Absolom calls out to Alison for a kiss, and she sticks her arse out the window and he kisses it - realising afterwards he's been giving her oral when he thinks "women don't have beards!". Angry, he runs off to find a red hot poker. Nicholas, Alison's lover, hears him come back and thinks "aha, I'll get him to kiss my arse as well", but when Absolom gets close, Nicholas farts in his face so loudly that Absolom is blinded. Absolom lashes out with the poker and gets Nicholas right in the taint.

The original text is much funnier:

This absolon doun sette hym on his knees
And seyde, I am a lord at alle degrees;
For after this I hope ther cometh moore.
Lemman, thy grace, and sweete bryd, thyn oore!
The wyndow she undoth, and that in haste.
Have do, quod she, com of, and speed the faste,
Lest that oure neighebores thee espie.
This absolon gan wype his mouth ful drie.
Derk was the nyght as pich, or as the cole,
And at the wyndow out she putte hir hole,
And absolon, hym fil no bet ne wers,
But with his mouth he kiste hir naked ers
Ful savourly, er he were war of this.
Abak he stirte, and thoughte it was amys,
For wel he wiste a womman hath no berd.
He felte a thyng al rough and long yherd,
And seyde, fy! allas! what have I do?
Tehee! quod she, and clapte the wyndow to,
And absolon gooth forth a sory pas.
A berd! a berd! quod hende nicholas,
By goddes corpus, this goth faire and weel.

This sely absolon herde every deel,
And on his lippe he gan for anger byte,
And to hymself he seyde, I shal thee quyte.
Who rubbeth now, who froteth now his lippes
With dust, with sond, with straw, with clooth, with chippes,
But absolon, that seith ful ofte, allas!
My soule bitake I unto sathanas,
But me were levere than al this toun, quod he,
Of this despit awroken for to be.
Allas, quod he, allas, I ne hadde ybleynt!
His hoote love was coold and al yqueynt;
For fro that tyme that he hadde kist hir ers,
Of paramours he sette nat a kers;
For he was heeled of his maladie.
Ful ofte paramours he gan deffie,
And weep as dooth a child that is ybete.
A softe paas he wente over the strete
Until a smyth men cleped daun gerveys,
That in his forge smythed plough harneys;
He sharpeth shaar and kultour bisily.
This absolon knokketh al esily,
What, who artow? it am I, absalon.
And seyde, undo, gerveys, and that anon.
What, absolon! for cristes sweete tree,
Why rise ye so rathe? ey, benedicitee!
What eyleth yow? som gay gerl, God it woot,
Hath broght yow thus upon the viritoot.
By seinte note, ye woot wel what I mene.
This absolon ne roghte nat a bene
Of al his pley; no word agayn he yaf;
He hadde moore tow on his distaf
Than gerveys knew, and seyde, freend so deere,
That hoote kultour in the chymenee heere,
As lene it me, I have therwith to doone,
And I wol brynge it thee agayn ful soone.
Gerveys answerde, certes, were it gold,
Or in a poke nobles alle untold,
Thou sholdest have, as I am trewe smyth.
Ey, cristes foo! what wol ye do therwith?
Therof, quod absolon, be as be may.
I shal wel telle it thee to-morwe day --
And caughte the kultour by the colde stele.
Ful softe out at the dore he gan to stele,
And wente unto the carpenteris wal.
He cogheth first, and knokketh therwithal
Upon the wyndowe, right as he dide er.
This alison answerde, who is ther
That knokketh so? I warante it a theef.
Why, nay, quod he, God woot, my sweete leef,
I am thyn absolon, my deerelyng.
Of gold, quod he, I have thee broght a ryng.
My mooder yaf it me, so God me save;
Ful fyn it is, and therto wel ygrave.
This wol I yeve thee, if thou me kisse.
This nicholas was risen for to pisse,
And thoughte he wolde amenden al the jape;
He sholde kisse his ers er that he scape.
And up the wyndowe dide he hastily,
And out his ers he putteth pryvely
Over the buttok, to the haunche-bon;
And therwith spak this clerk, this absolon,
Spek, sweete bryd, I noot nat where thou art.
This nicholas anon leet fle a fart,
As greet as it had been a thonder-dent,
That with the strook he was yblent!
And he was redy with his iren hoot,
And nicholas amydde the ers he smoot.

(lovely) Translation here,

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

lenoon posted:

Nicholas, Alison's lover, hears him come back and thinks "aha, I'll get him to kiss my arse as well", but when Absolom gets close, Nicholas farts in his face so loudly that Absolom is blinded. Absolom lashes out with the poker and gets Nicholas right in the taint.

Good to see fart jokes never go out of style

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

On A Lady's Girdle.

That which her slender waist confin'd,
Shall now my joyful temples bind;
No monarch but would give his crown
His arms might do what this has done.
It was my heav'n's extremest sphere,
The pall which held that lovely dear;
My joy, my grief, my hope, my love,
Did all within this circle move.
A narrow compass! and yet there
Dwelt all that's good, and all that's fair!
Give me but what this ribbond bound,
Take all the rest the Sun goes round.

Cheap Maggots

A lady, who was very whimsical, had married a rich
cheesemonger. A female friend said she was very glad
of it, as now Miss ________ might indulge in maggots with-
out any expence.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Im just going describe what I was going to post which was a few very raciest jokes in 'olde english' one of which began 'a gentleman who hailed from one of the more urban areas of chelmesford attended his cermony of investment and was given a teste' but to be honest I cant be arsed to type it out and the description of the intention probably serves just as well.

e: Have a bit of raffles the gentleman thug instead http://viz.co.uk/category/raffles-the-gentleman-thug/

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 13, 2014

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Nick Biped posted:

my high school english teacher tried to use that fart joke to get students interested in chaucer.

it didn't work

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Nick Biped posted:

Humour in the Canterbury tales is 50% cucking, 30% farts and 20% clever puns, it's GBS

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

lenoon posted:

Humour in the Canterbury tales is 50% cucking, 30% farts and 20% clever puns, it's GBS

there are no clever puns in GBS

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Quickscope420dad posted:

there are no clever puns in GBS

ive read one or two. mine

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

SCOTCH BAGPIPER.

A Scotch bagpiper travelling into Ireland, opened his wallet bv a wood-side, and sat down to dinner; he had no sooner said grace, than three wolves came about him. To one he threw bread, to another meat, till his provision was all gone; at length, he took up his bagpipes, and began to play; at which the wolves ran away. The Deel faw me (said Sawney) an' I had kenn'd you loved music so, you should have had it before dinner.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

A lady meeting in the street a gentleman who was frightfully ugly, took him by the hand, and led him to the shop of a statuary, to whom she said, 'Just like this,' and departed. The gentleman astonished, asked the meaning of this: the statuary answered, 'The lady has employed me to make a figure of the devil, and as I had no model she promised to bring me one.'

Gonna use this the next time I visit the goons.jpg thread

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

so wait peggy got nice clothes because she put out a lot or something idgi. she's a courtesan isn't that her job

she covers her back (buys clothes) with her tail (by loving)

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

quote:

Much like thy posting!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ghaz posted:

she covers her back (buys clothes) with her tail (by loving)

thats what i implied :)

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

thats what i implied :)

hmmm do u not have squirrels in ur country??

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
she put out means she fucks a lot (by using her "tail" a colloquialism for her sex parts and places adjacent)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

*tells a oval office joke*

*is literally Shakespeare*

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Chard posted:

*tells a oval office joke*

*is literally Shakespeare*

Oh poo poo we've been rumbled

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
(Reuters) - The world's oldest recorded joke has been traced back to 1900 BC and suggests that toilet humour was as popular with the ancients as it is today.

It is a saying of the Sumerians, who lived in what is now southern Iraq and goes: "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap."

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
SIMPLICITY

A countryman being a witness in a Court of Justice was asked by the Cousel if he was born in wedlock.

"No Sir," answered the man, "I was born in Devonshire."

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
ON A WOULD-BE WRITER

Your Prose and Verse alike are bad,
Methinks you both transpose;
Your Prose e'en like your Verse runs mad,
And all your Verse is Prose.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
TOO SOON OR TOO LATE

About five months when John his fair did wed,
The lovely Katherine was brought to bed ;
"Hey now!" quoth John, "this is too soon my Kate,"
"No John," said she, "you matted me too late."

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

quote:

THE LADY'S CHOICE

A lady seeing the sheriff of a county who was a very handsome young gentleman, attending the judge, who was an old man; a gentleman standing by, asked her which she liked best, the judge or the sheriff?

The lady told him the sheriff. "Why so?" said the gentleman. "Because," answered she, "tho' I love judgement well, I love execution better."

Good joke I guess since it's combo dick+death but that lady's kind of hosed up.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ahahah this one is not so much a joke as straight up truth:

HOW TO WRITE A LOVE LETTER

A true and original receipt for composing a modern Love Letter - Take five hundred protestations, half as many vows, three thousand lies, fifty pounds weight of deceit, an equal quantity of nonsense, and treble the whole of flattery: mix all these ingredients up together, and add thereto half a scruple of sincerity, sweetening it often with the words - angel, goddess, charmer, honey and the like. When it is sweetened to your taste, take as much of it at a time as you think proper; fold it up in gilt paper; seal it with the impression of a flaming heart full of wounds; let it be carefully delivered, and it is irresistable.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

JFairfax posted:

TOO SOON OR TOO LATE

About five months when John his fair did wed,
The lovely Katherine was brought to bed ;
"Hey now!" quoth John, "this is too soon my Kate,"
"No John," said she, "you matted me too late."
So does this one mean
a) She had already hosed someone else so he didnt get her virginity
b) He had hosed her 5 months ago already and knocked her up
c) He shot his load too quickly

meanings within meanings within meanings

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Zipping ahead to 1938, from "The Master Book of Humorous Illustrations for Public Speakers," by Leewin B Williams:

Accidents posted:

A Kansas exchange tells of a man who mortgaged his farm to buy his wife a pair of diamond earrings. The wife took in washing to pay the interest on the mortgage, but the first job she did she lost one of the "sparks" in the suds, whereupon she tried to hang herself in the barn, but the rope broke and she fell on a jersey cow, worth $150, and broke its back. Her husband then undertook to shoot the cow to end its misery, but the gun burst and destroyed his eyes, and his wife ran away with a lightning-rod peddler. The mortgage is still on deck and bids fair to live to a ripe old age.

Action posted:

A few years ago during the revival of the Ku Klux Klan one Georgia Negro met another on the street.
"Looky here," said one, "tell me whut you'd do, Gawge, if you gotta notice to leave town from them there old Klu Kluxers."
"Me?" said George, "I'd finish readin' it on the train."

Ambition posted:

A boy in a Chicago school refused to sew, evidently considering it beneath the dignity of a ten-year-old man. "George Washington sewed," said the principal, taking it for granted that a soldier must; "and do you consider yourself better than George Washington?"
"I don't know, time will tell," said he seriously.

American Spirit, The posted:

A San Francisco youngster, American-born, recently rebelled fiercely when his Italian father whipped him for some misdemeanor.
"But, Tomasso, your father has a right to whip you when you are bad," someone of the family said.
Tomasso's eyes flashed. "I am a citizen of the United States," he declared. "Do you think I am going to let any foreigner lick me?"

Ancestors posted:

"Have ye anny ancisters, Mrs. Kelly?" asked Mrs. O'Brien.
"An' phwat's ancisters?"
"Why, people, you shprung from."
"Listen to me, Mrs. O'Brien," said Mrs. Kelly impressively. "I come from the rale shtock av Donahues thot shpring from nobody. They spring at thim!"

Anticipation posted:

A German who was feeling not quite up to the mark asked his druggist for a prescription. The druggist prepared a small box of pills and handed these to his customer with the remark:
"Take these."
The German came in the next day, and said he felt no better.
The druggist asked, "Did you take those pills?"
"Yes," said the German, "I swallowed him."
"Swallowed what?" asked the druggist.
"Der pox," said the German.
"You swallowed box and all?" inquired the amazed druggist.
"Yes," said the German, "didn't you tell me?"
The druggist leaned over the counter and shook his finger at the German. "You just wait," he said, "until the lid comes off that box."

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mookface posted:

A taciturn cooper of forty and two was trekking through a wood past dark. With him was a young boy, of whom was previously indentured to the man. It was a dark and foreboding night and a thick fog hung on the moors. 'Mister I'm scared!' Proclaimed the youngster.

'You think you have it dire boy', replied the man 'I have to walk out of this thicket alone'

A troubling past.

A young gentleman of liberal disposition laments the barbarity of the slave trade to his friend. "I know it only too well." exclaims his fellow, "my own dear grandfather himself, died aboard one of those accursed ships."

The first gentleman, quite flumoxed, asks how such a tragedy could come to pass.

"he fell from the crow's nest." the second gentleman replies.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jazzyhattrick posted:

A troubling past.

A young gentleman of liberal disposition laments the barbarity of the slave trade to his friend. "I know it only too well." exclaims his fellow, "my own dear grandfather himself, died aboard one of those accursed ships."

The first gentleman, quite flumoxed, asks how such a tragedy could come to pass.

whoa !

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

JFairfax posted:

Ahahah this one is not so much a joke as straight up truth:

HOW TO WRITE A LOVE LETTER

A true and original receipt for composing a modern Love Letter - Take five hundred protestations, half as many vows, three thousand lies, fifty pounds weight of deceit, an equal quantity of nonsense, and treble the whole of flattery: mix all these ingredients up together, and add thereto half a scruple of sincerity, sweetening it often with the words - angel, goddess, charmer, honey and the like. When it is sweetened to your taste, take as much of it at a time as you think proper; fold it up in gilt paper; seal it with the impression of a flaming heart full of wounds; let it be carefully delivered, and it is irresistable.

I always wondered what e-mail forwards looked like in days of yore.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

jazzyhattrick posted:

A troubling past.

tell me this is real

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jazzyhattrick posted:

A troubling past.

Well I never...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

jazzyhattrick posted:

A troubling past.

Oh lawks a lordy! I doth expire! Nurse, make haste with the side-reseaming equipment!

• Locked thread