Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

:siren: DONT ROLL ON KIRIN TOR ITS A DIFFERENT SERVER. :siren:

Algalon is a 3.3.3a Wrath of the Lich King "Progressive" private server hosted with Dalaran WoW. It strives to deliver a blizzlike experience through x1 rates and excellent scripting. SA Goons are currently flying under the horrible banner of <Brown Town>.

What is a Progressive Realm?

The folks at Dalaran WoW had a specific goal in mind when they created Algalon. They are attempting to recreate the Wrath progression experience and they have a few plans on how to implement this. Overall the typical stuff you'll see on this server is:

• Rebalanced Encounters : Keeps content challenging even in the face of 3.3.3a Talent changes. Usually in the form of HP buffs or minor mechanic tweaks (intentional or unintentional).
  • Achievement Requirements : To progress to the next teir of content you must have earned the completion achievement for the previous raid (Naxx > Ulduar > ToC > ICC) 10 and 25 respectively.
  • Item level caps : :siren: NOT IMPLEMENTED YET :siren: Hopefully it never will be. This is a plan to require raiders to use gear appropriate to the raid they are in, such as only using Naxx gear in Naxx unless all members already have their achievements. It's an extension of their Achievement requirement philosophy that keeps dirty casuals from getting carried through content. Its dumb and I hope it never happens.

Since progression and value of hard work is so important to the Algalon devs you wont see any kind of "Pay-to-Win" mechanics on this server. All gear, gold, and reputation is earned just like it was live. However to keep the server running there are open donations for several cosmetic things such as TCG items, Flavor items, and other inconsequential toys as well as a Level 70 Boost for people who are really only here for the Wrath experience.

How can I join?
To register simply follow the instructions on the Dalaran WoW website, starting with Create Account link in the top left, for your install and create your character. Drop a post in this thread with your name and one of our officers will try to invite you as soon as we see it. Sending us an ingame message helps as well, you can see any online members by doing a "/who Brown Town". Please don't hate me for this terrible guild name I didn't choose it :(.

Guild Specific Stuff:

<Brown Town> is basically dead now. However the servers still active so if you're interested in wrath without a goon guild this is still a great place.

Pretty pictures:

Tanners fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Dr. Kazz Strats or: How I Learned to Stop Dying and Love the Brown

Below you'll find links to Kazzdel's super cool, ultra informative infodump posts on all the bosses in ulduar. If you're raiding with us please skim over them and get an idea of whats what. Just picture of the boss you want to know more about and immerse yourself in the doctrines of Dr. Kazzdel.

Tanners fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 13, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
nice thread, voted 5

also dont listen to anyone who says the quests are all bugged

the quests are fine and there's more than enough to quest all the way to 80 if you want. Just go to the bugtracker on their website https://github.com/dalaranwow/dalaran-wow/issues if you have issues with a quest and like 99% of the time there's an easy fix for the quest that makes it completable.

This is only really a problem in Northrend, the quests in TBC and vanilla content rarely had problems. Though I would suggest starting in Borean Tundra over Howling Fjord cause last time I checked HF had some nasty bugged quests at the start of chains near the starting area.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 13, 2014

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Glorious leader reporting in!

Please visit us at www.AlgalonsTopGuild.com

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

SHISHKABOB posted:

nice thread, voted 5

Come back and do ulduar dammit.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
For anybody who's interested, the work done by the developers on Algalon is pretty solid. Until a couple months ago, it was just one guy doing all of the bug fixes and raid scripting and stuff still seems to work better than most other private servers.

Also, we still need bodies for our 25 man raids so don't think that we wouldn't have room for you. Just be prepared for progression (aka lots of wipes) because we are bad.

At the moment we are up to Auriaya on 10 man and Kologarn on 25 man.

Also regarding the thread title: :vince:

saltylopez fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 14, 2014

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nice fail op not mentioning how to actually join the guild rated 1 stars

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also needs more pictures and goon memories

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Myimmersion is another alchemist :2bong:

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Abu Dave posted:

nice fail op not mentioning how to actually join the guild rated 1 stars

Tanners posted:

How can I join?
To register simply follow the instructions on the Dalaran WoW website, starting with Create Account link in the top left, for your install and create your character. Drop a post in this thread with your name and one of our officers will try to invite you as soon as we see it. Sending us an ingame message helps as well, you can see any online members by doing a "/who Brown Town". Please don't hate me for this terrible guild name I didn't choose it :(.

confirmed for not even reading OP

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
So people should probably give some thought to 25 man Kologarn, cause at the moment he seems to be where we're going to be stuck.

The first "Right Arm" tends to go down extremely quickly, but any subsequent arms need to be killed much quicker. People were getting grabbed and held for very long periods of time, when they should be freed after the arm takes enough damage.

I don't know if this is because too many dps are dying in the interim or if people are not switching back when it respawns (or a combination of the two). We're gonna need to be able to kill him with 6-7 healers and most likely 3 tanks I think. We seemed to have the tank healing and swaps somewhat down, so I think dealing with this aspect of the fight is our next chore.

Something to think about for next week's raid I guess. If you have any ideas let me know.

kologarnbabyspice.jpg

The good news from tonight was our fight with Razorscale went something like this:

saltylopez fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 14, 2014

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
So after several weeks of being lazy. I finally hit up the training dummies.

No raid buffs or any of that nonsense.
Enhancement: Strong starting burst damage of about 6k, after cooldowns it slowly falls to about 4.5k and once I lose my wolves slides to about 3.5k.
Gear: Naxx 25, Badges, and like 1 Ulduar 10 item.

Elemental: Had much more steady results of about 4.5 - 5k. Only issue was my mana depleted in about 45 seconds. Better gear would probably help as well as raid buffs. My hit was pretty abysmal as well so there seems to be a ton of room for improvement.
Gear: 3 Melee AP items (head, shoulders, ring), 3 ilvl 200 blues (chest and trinks), rest Naxx 10/25/Badge purples.

To nobody's surprise elemental is better! It seems insane that elemental could be doing that much better damage with gear that is so terrible in comparison.
I definitely will be playing around with it a little bit more and need to figure out how to make my mana last a bit longer, but once I purchase some replacement gear I will likely be switching over for good.
Plus I will probably be able to heal in the same gear if we need a little bit of extra heals :smithicide:

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 14, 2014

the.pope
Jun 1, 2005
Baby spice in action

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Suran37 posted:

Only issue was my mana depleted in about 45 seconds.

A lot of the elemental gear will have mp/5 on it. It's kinda difficult to find mail gear with spellcaster stats without mp/5 actually. I think there's also a talent that increases your mp/5 by a proportion of your intellect in the Elemental tree that is worth picking up just because there's nothing better at that tier. The talent that reduces the cost of your shocks in Enhance is usually not worth grabbing though. Most of your +hit rating will have to come from jewelry pieces, gems and enchants.

You can also pickup Glyph of Thunderstorm. It's a minor glyph that increases the mana restored by Thunderstorm from 8% to 10% but removes the knockback portion of the spell. I run it on Bastion as the knockback is kind of annoying for tanks because it's not aimed like a Boomkin's Typhoon. If you weave casting Thunderstorm into your rotation it can greatly increase your longevity.

Edit:https://github.com/dalaranwow/dalaran-wow/issues?page=3&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+sort%3Aupdated-desc

This lists the bugs most recently fixed by the devs. They seem to be going at a pretty steady pace at the moment.

saltylopez fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 14, 2014

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I think I'll get it on this, I need a nice change of pace from grinding Hasla tokens in AA. :v:

I'll post character name when I get it downloaded and installed.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
25 Man Kologarn video: http://www.wowwiki.com/File:High_Quality_Kologarn_%28incl._Commentary%29

It's from retail, so some stuff's not completely the same. You can see how quickly people are dropped after being picked up though. Stone grip doesn't seem to last more than 5 or so seconds. The raid damage looks about the same as what we were seeing last night, except the raid healers seem to recover a bit faster. I think it's likely that the damage on the tank is significantly higher on Algalon though.

The guy also suggests running the eyebeams out into the hallway, as some other people have recommended.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What DKP system are you guys using?

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
We're not at this point where this would make or break us on kologarn yet but tanking adds near his body and moving them before they die will help throw some aoe at the main body

Other than that I think a bloodlust right when the arm respawns, being ready for the respawn, and a little luck that he doesn't grab our Heals or tanks right off the bat would go a long way.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
According to that video I posted the adds do a constant AoE pulse even before they die.

the.pope
Jun 1, 2005
None. We have a weird system that helps spread out loot. it involves rolls, spreadsheets, and pugs not understanding.

Extra posted:

What DKP system are you guys using?

Here's a 25 man kill on our server of Kologarn. The DPS is much much higher on average than ours.

http://www.twitch.tv/skitungenpwn/c/5200796

My pet peeve in the last raid was people not using flasks. I just don't get it. Do you not want bigger numbers? Hopo is offering free flasks to people, and I see people without flask buffs.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

the.pope posted:

The DPS is much much higher on average than ours.

Yeah, 9 people over 7k about halfway through the fight. Also more confirmation that running eyebeams into the hallway seems to be the way to go.

Looks like this is our first real gear check. Having a revolving door of pugs isn't going to help in getting past him either.

saltylopez fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 14, 2014

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also me fixins is a leatherworker

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Abu Dave posted:

also me fixins is a leatherworker

Yeah but you're never loving online.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Somebody make us a banner ad and I'll post one.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I made one, it's great.

the.pope
Jun 1, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

I made one, it's great.

Does it involve us rezzing you after every pull somehow?

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
Fitz can do Tailoring/Enchanting
Hobbes - Leatherworking
Badtank - Blacksmithing

I'm definitely not on enough though.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

SHISHKABOB posted:

I made one, it's great.

Its up. Regrettably.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it looks pretty good.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Oh god why did you pay for that ad? I could have made something that is at least animated.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Suran37 posted:

Oh god why did you pay for that ad? I could have made something that is at least animated.

I think it was a good use of my 8 dollars

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Suran37 posted:

then make one you garbage lord, nobody's stopping you

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

nobody's stopping you

My life threatening obesity is.

Anyway I was googling around and found this cool addon, It really would have made my life easier. Too bad Blizzard broke it intentionally on this exact patch :argh:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info16249-AVR.html

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

All I want is the random dungeon finder so I can start a prot warrior and level up by doing dungeons 24/7. :(

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You'd be lucky if there were five people in your level range on at the same time, let alone having them all fit into a correct party.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Suran37 posted:

My life threatening obesity is.

Anyway I was googling around and found this cool addon, It really would have made my life easier. Too bad Blizzard broke it intentionally on this exact patch :argh:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info16249-AVR.html

AVR was awesome for the small amount of time it worked. It helped my retail raid team learn several of the ICC bosses.

You could also leave graffiti around Dalaran telling your guild members how much they sucked.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey I think I'm gonna be a little more active so you can put me under alchemy as a professions person.

also how do I get it to stop resetting all of my settings every time I start the program again. I moved it out of its original download spot and even turned off the read only option for the folder

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Delete the config found in your wow file, also the one in the WTF folder.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 15, 2014

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

sirtommygunn posted:

Delete the config found in your wow file, also the one in the WTF folder.

that is definitely one way...

Or, you can edit the config file by hand. I changed the following parameters and am quite happy about it:

SET gxResolution "1920x1080" (my preferred resolution)
SET gxWindow "1" (I like to play in a window instead of full screen)
SET readTerminationWithoutNotice "1" (stops the accept/decline thingy)
SET realmName "Algalon" (sets default realm to Algalon)

There's other poo poo in there like account name, music volume, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Posting in this thread. Hello thread.

• Locked thread