Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I lived in and around Toledo for 10 years and because of this, I hate Ohio deeply and despair washes over me as soon as my plane touches down when I go out there to visit my family. It's like there's something in the air that depletes serotonin. Had I lived in Cleveland or Columbus maybe I'd have a better opinion of the state though.

Last time I was there, we went to a "fancy" (not fancy at all) Italian restaurant near Oak Harbor and my sister's retard hick boyfriend couldn't pronounce loving "rigatoni."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Ohio needs to legalize weed, that will really set our economy off and give people something to do during the endless, sunless winter months

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

BeefThief posted:

Ohio needs to legalize weed, that will really set our economy off and give people something to do during the endless, sunless winter months

Probably going to do medical and gay marriage ballots in 2015.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Jst0rm posted:

I grew up in akron. I never felt connected to anyone there. I always felt like there was more to life. Then I left.

I think I went back once in 2007 right before the housing crash. My friend was proud she bought a home in Cleveland at the time and as we went to see this place I realized how dead it was in that city. Everything was hosed but the people are desensitized to it. I told her "Sell this loving house and get out of here. This place is hosed." She actually listened to me. Sold her house fast, took a 10k loss and moved to San Fransisco. About 4 months later the entire economy exploded - She would of lost 80k if she waited. She now is married and living a pretty good life in the center of SF.

I guess the moral of this story is get the gently caress out while you can. I live in LA and I meet so many people who got the gently caress out. Go to the coasts.

Yes. At 23, I realized that if I didn't leave Ohio soon, chances were pretty good I would commit suicide or drink myself to death, so I loaded up my lovely car with whatever I could fit in it and drove 14 hours out to CT (I had a friend there I could crash with for a few days) with only $500 to my name and no job prospects.

It was rough at first, but it was the best decision I've ever made. I've moved around a bit since then, but no other place made me feel desperate to leave like Ohio did.

My old gay bestfriend still lives there, out in the sticks, and he still faces homophobia a lot and I don't understand why the gently caress he doesn't just leave there already and go to a coast, where hardly anyone gives a poo poo if you're gay anymore. Leaving just seems like a really huge, insurmountable thing for a lot of people, I guess.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Huh I guess Marilyn Manson's mom died last May. Posted a touching tribute on his Facebook page, 'cause no one goes to Canton.

Apparently I grew up not far from the wacky little devil, but I went to a normal school while he went to some Heritage Academy. Great job they did.

Masturbasturd fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 14, 2014

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

There are lovely parts of every state, but Ohio is charming for how upbeat people are about the shittiness. Especially Cleveland. I grew up here then went to Chicago for 7 years for school and work, then moved back here. It's been pretty dank so far except when I lived downtown because downtown pretty much sucks balls

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

there's a commercial that plays on the radio encouraging tourism in Ohio (why they're playing this in Ohio is beyond me) that features people saying hi from wherever.

The one that sticks out to me is the one for Marblehead because the lady says "hi" like she's trying to get you to say hello back and she knows you can see her waving at you and I swear to god if you make me come over there and say "Earth to whatever the poo poo your name is" I will loving gut you, and a dude who I can only assume is supposed to be her husband jumps in to say "from Marblehead" with fake cheer like he can compensate for his wife's bitchiness and be all come on Janet I thought we agreed we would enjoy ourselves so we had something good to bring the to marriage counselor.

Ohio tourism in a nut shell.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
*takes giant poo poo *

Moozies on back to Texas thread leaving toilet paper in Ohio

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

texaholic posted:

*takes giant poo poo *

Moozies on back to Texas thread leaving toilet paper in Ohio

I went to Houston once and there was a guy pushing a shopping cart full of scrap aluminum down main street at 7am. also a guy trying to open every car door in a big parking lot and lots of people doing heroin on the streets. Ohio isn't perfect but it's far from the fly infested anarchic hell that is Texas. this is my review.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

Mooktastical posted:

Ok Ohiogoons, what's the best restaurant in C-bus?

Cameron Mitchell restaurants are pretty good across the board (I'm quite a fan of The Pearl). Katalina's in Victorian Village is pretty loving bomb, and we have Jeni's ice cream which will kick your local ice cream parlor's rear end. Basically move to the Short North if you like good food.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I miss about ohio is fall. Fall time is best time in ohio.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

BeefThief posted:

I went to Houston once and there was a guy pushing a shopping cart full of scrap aluminum down main street at 7am. also a guy trying to open every car door in a big parking lot and lots of people doing heroin on the streets. Ohio isn't perfect but it's far from the fly infested anarchic hell that is Texas. this is my review.

Good take, thank you.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...

BelDin posted:

I live at least 60 miles away from any major city here, and it sucks. Our entire county has less than 30k people and doesn't have a city anymore. Our county seat has been downgraded to a village after the last census.

Still trying to claw my way out of here!

Fellow Ashtabula goon

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Non-OH goon here, sorry I'm not thread making GBS threads I just thought I'd say hello to you as I was flying over this thread.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mahoning posted:

Do any other Ohio goons have their username as the Ohio county they grew up in? :smug:

edit: RIP Traficant

I loving drove down the streed and somebody had a huge sign in their yard that said "JIMBOS DEAD" and I drat near wrecked

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I lived in and around Toledo for 10 years and because of this, I hate Ohio deeply and despair washes over me as soon as my plane touches down when I go out there to visit my family. It's like there's something in the air that depletes serotonin. Had I lived in Cleveland or Columbus maybe I'd have a better opinion of the state though.

Last time I was there, we went to a "fancy" (not fancy at all) Italian restaurant near Oak Harbor and my sister's retard hick boyfriend couldn't pronounce loving "rigatoni."

yeah but once you have it totally depleted it gets to the point where it cant recover. That's when "good" and "bad" don't matter anymore and normal human emotions don't apply anymore

I basically sit on my porch and drink, go to work, post here, and watch everything decay

lol every house on my street burned down except for 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Whats high in the middle and round on the ends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Me

I'm a pot addled quadriplegic

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BeefThief posted:

There are lovely parts of every state, but Ohio is charming for how upbeat people are about the shittiness. Especially Cleveland. I grew up here then went to Chicago for 7 years for school and work, then moved back here. It's been pretty dank so far except when I lived downtown because downtown pretty much sucks balls

Hey, there are some great and fun places to go in Cleveland! Such as

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Mike Polk Jr. is so cool. We talk on Twitter sometimes once and he really is like the Louis CK of Cleveland comedians, I don't really know who that is, so substitute the best comic, I only listen to local comedy :smug:

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

Greenhouse Tavern in Cleveland is so goddamn good

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Darf posted:

I went to E. 4th at 11PM on a Friday and everybody was gone and the bars were putting all the chairs up. I guess our city likes to get to bed early, or at least the 40 year olds who stink up the bar scene on E. 4th

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Darf posted:

when i went to the greenhouse tavern the hipster waiter told me that ordering a double G&T wouldn't make the drink stronger :shrug:

there's a place next to the west side market that owns too

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
There's this little coffee shop at Shaker Square that's pretty nice.

Best thing in all of Cleveland is the Microcenter at Mayfield Heights.

West side of town really needs a Whole Foods though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Darf posted:

Fellow Ashtabula goon

A dude from Ashtabula was my roommate freshman year of college.

First day (like, with people still moving in), he starts flirting with one of the girls across the hall and breaks out the "I don't mind blacks, but I hate niggers" line.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
go OSU!!!

John Liver
May 4, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Is it a dick

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
*posts Rush Limbaugh theme song*

John Liver
May 4, 2009

"Well of COURSE they serve fresh fish honey, it says so right there on the sign! And even if they do freeze it, what's the matter? You like fish sticks don't you?"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Michael Corleone posted:

Mike Polk Jr. is so cool. We talk on Twitter sometimes once and he really is like the Louis CK of Cleveland comedians, I don't really know who that is, so substitute the best comic, I only listen to local comedy :smug:

What's your account?

I follow two other Browns goons (Hockles, Ham), and I'm trying to complete the list lol.

Bip Roberts posted:

*posts Rush Limbaugh theme song*

I've been to the mall she sings about it.

It's pretty nice actually.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
that episode of kitchen nightmares is hilarious

it's freshly frozen!

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Justice cannot write a song about Ohio without the help of superior states

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVIe2hwysW0

Right on

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
if youre ever in chardon ohio and find ur way to the maple city tavern ask for me ill make u some good food

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I looked at relocating to a job in Cincinnati but decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to willingly move to a landlocked rust belt city.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

A dude from Ashtabula was my roommate freshman year of college.

First day (like, with people still moving in), he starts flirting with one of the girls across the hall and breaks out the "I don't mind blacks, but I hate niggers" line.

Well

Do you like them?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

Mike Polk isn't even from Cleveland, which makes it pretty funny that he is like their spokesman now.

He's actually from Warren which Youngstown claims as part of its ungodly metro area. So he's all ours.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
If you don't like Ohio it's because you didn't like your life here and rarely does the city or state that you grew up in matter. If you've posted 7 times in this thread about how you hate Ohio I'm sorry you're a loser, Ohio didn't make you one, you would of been a loser in any other midwest state. Same with some of the bad qualities of the state "People said the N word", Uhm, have you been to any other state in the U.S.? News flash retards every city in America is segregated and full of trash.

Anyway, last year I was in Russia about 500 miles east of Moscow and it was funny when people in russia asked me "How's the weather for ya? Cold I bet?" and it was like no actually it's currently colder in NE Ohio.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Rap Music and Dope posted:

If you don't like Ohio it's because you didn't like your life here and rarely does the city or state that you grew up in matter. If you've posted 7 times in this thread about how you hate Ohio I'm sorry you're a loser, Ohio didn't make you one, you would of been a loser in any other midwest state. Same with some of the bad qualities of the state "People said the N word", Uhm, have you been to any other state in the U.S.? News flash retards every city in America is segregated and full of trash.

Anyway, last year I was in Russia about 500 miles east of Moscow and it was funny when people in russia asked me "How's the weather for ya? Cold I bet?" and it was like no actually it's currently colder in NE Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
My boyfriend lives in Athens. Is there anything to do at Ohio university? What are the good places to eat? According to him you just get high there.

• Locked thread