Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Once the cabinets are built get a big rear end vice to bolt to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Adiabatic posted:

Those of you on Snapchat may have gotten to see some air hammer shenanigans.

I was wondering what the gently caress you planned on doing with that. Swankey new place/tax free beer embezzlement scheme.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slow is Fast posted:

My vices don't last long enough to get bolted down.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

leica posted:

I don't understand why you had such a hard time getting plywood.

Have fun with the cabinets :)

It was more a problem with the company I was trying to buy it through.

kastein posted:

drat I'm jealous. Also, keep that granite countertop around, stone countertops are great for doing hot work on like heating up parts to shrink-fit over the shaft you have stored next to the beer, soldering, etc.

Come visit anytime. I have a crush on your deuce. Good call on the granite, I was considering selling it before you said something.

Slow is Fast posted:

That is the main reason my roommate is helping with these cabinets. He has some fetish for vices or something. Any recommendations?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

That is the main reason my roommate is helping with these cabinets. He has some fetish for vices or something. Any recommendations?

Metal. Big. Old.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wilton.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wiltons are usually overpriced, but they're still good of course.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716

I found a Record on craigslist for $45. Give CL a look by searching a couple old brand names. Do not buy a new vise, look for one as old and as heavy as you can find. And nobody on craigslist will spell it "vise" so search "vice" too.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 28, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Adiabatic posted:

Come visit anytime. I have a crush on your deuce. Good call on the granite, I was considering selling it before you said something.

Yeah I have a big slab of soapstone counter built into the desk/workbench I put upstairs specifically so I can solder without burning the poo poo out of my desk. Found it in the underbrush of an overgrown garden when I started clearing one corner of my yard and immediately knew what I was going to do with it.

I am way far away, but might be down sometime. Normally the furthest south I get is central Pennsyltucky.

(you should have bought a deuce or 5 ton :v:)

As for vises, buy the biggest old vise you can afford. Same rule with anvils. I have a ~50lb Wilton around here somewhere that I need to clean up and rebuild a bit.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
If you have a proper straight-edge check the granite, it is often flat to within a few thousandths and makes a great surface for honing tools. Just slap some wet/dry emery paper down with spray adhesive and remove it with solvent later. If I could find a big enough piece of abrasive paper I might even try resurfacing lovely old manifolds and heads, really shade tree style.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I think real shadetree style is a sheet of glass set on some sand.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
One of my worktops is some home made monstrosity made with 2 inches of plywood covered in 1cm thick steel that I pulled out of someones garbage. I like to think that some 1950's dad set out one weekend to build a worktop that would survive those commie nukes and succeeded magnificently.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The one thing the PO of the MR2 told me was that the front suspension was solid.

Naturally, after replacing both wheel bearings, the plastic bushing in the rack, the rack mount bushings, and the sway bar links, the MR2 still had a horrible shimmy when you unloaded the front suspension. Turns out my strut mounts were complete garbage:

I didn't take many pictures, because honestly with the lift and power tools it took 15 minutes per side:

Right as I was finishing the passenger side and moving to the driver side, AI's own InitialDave showed up!

We chatted for a while and went out to eat, and talked a bunch about the differences between here and England.

Also he brought beer. Wow did he bring beer. My beer fridge doesn't know what the gently caress to do with this stuff:

He also brought some English soda of some sort:

I feel spoiled.

Have a fantastic trip Dave! You and your friend were cool people.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress, I had no idea InitialDave was coming through VA.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just passing through for a couple of days while on the way down to NC this weekend, I'd clocked that Adiabatic was right by where my route would take me, so promised alcohol in exchange for goony interaction.

Jealous of your setup, Adiabatic, enjoy the beer!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

Just passing through for a couple of days while on the way down to NC this weekend, I'd clocked that Adiabatic was right by where my route would take me, so promised alcohol in exchange for goony interaction.

Jealous of your setup, Adiabatic, enjoy the beer!

Yeah he's a lot closer to all the major highways, my area would have been an inconvenience to get to. Still, if you ever find yourself back in VA and want to sight-see, I live in some gorgeous mountains and we have excellent local beers here. I'll buy.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

kastein posted:

Yeah I have a big slab of soapstone counter built into the desk/workbench I put upstairs specifically so I can solder without burning the poo poo out of my desk. Found it in the underbrush of an overgrown garden when I started clearing one corner of my yard and immediately knew what I was going to do with it.

I am way far away, but might be down sometime. Normally the furthest south I get is central Pennsyltucky.

(you should have bought a deuce or 5 ton :v:)

As for vises, buy the biggest old vise you can afford. Same rule with anvils. I have a ~50lb Wilton around here somewhere that I need to clean up and rebuild a bit.

If you plan on going down to visit, let me know! I'm outside Baltimore, and you are welcome to crash at the lovely house I have (and I'm pretty sure it's carpenter ant free!)

I have an AW11 that I need to do some suspension work to..... I can bring beer.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

God drat.

I'm going to have to step up my game next time I visit.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Well, I completely didn't notice _this_ thread. Congrats on your place, dude. If you need E30 things let me know.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Adiabatic posted:

He also brought some English soda of some sort:

Irn-Bru is Scottish :argh:

Also Scotland is the only western country where Coca-Cola isn't the #1 selling soda, because of that delicious orange brew.

ajcz
Aug 27, 2009

alternate.eago posted:

If you plan on going down to visit, let me know! I'm outside Baltimore, and you are welcome to crash at the lovely house I have (and I'm pretty sure it's carpenter ant free!)

I have an AW11 that I need to do some suspension work to..... I can bring beer.

Id go for the ride i can also bring beer.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Good. I drank most of the Yuengling.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I have to order the parts first.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Irn-Bru is Scottish :argh:

Also Scotland is the only western country where Coca-Cola isn't the #1 selling soda, because of that delicious orange brew.

Like he said, English
😱

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Lucozade is better.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Cabinets have yet to start, as the roommate got all the parts he needed for his Yamaha's starter clutch. Certainly one of the more interesting vehicles up on the lift:

VVVVVVV Oh right, snapchatters got to see some sexy air hammer accosting of my roommate, and some dirty extension-on-access-hole action with the bike.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 3, 2014

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Cant loving stop laughing at your snapchats. jeeeeezus

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
I want in on the snapchatting. I'm hugegoose, send me poo poo please.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea the socket violating the side cover was the funniest snap Ive seen in a while.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea the socket violating the side cover was the funniest snap Ive seen in a while.

I just joined snapchat and it was one of the first I got :)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

poo poo. I forgot to take photos, but I did an oil pump on the woman's RAV4 this weekend. Cabinets eventually?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

poo poo. I forgot to take photos, but I did an oil pump on the woman's RAV4 this weekend. Cabinets eventually?

That does sound forgettable though.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:siren: THINGS ARE HAPPENING :siren:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Chiming in to also say that your Snapchat videos are the highlight of my day. If I lived in the Richmond area, I would totally be trying to ply you with beer to be my best friend so I could use your garage, because it is truly a kickass garage.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks bud! If you're ever in the area feel free to stop by.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
I see that e30 is serving it's intended purpose as a wood holder quite well :heysexy:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dude with the Legacy wagon came over:

Came in complaining of a rotational clunk. His center diff is leaking like a motherfucker:

He's coming back with a used 5 speed and two cases of Yuengling eventually.

For now it's a 12 pack for diagnosis:

By the way InitialDave this is delicious:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Adiabatic posted:

Oh man I love that bottle!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Man I wish you were in Wisco. I would turn you into a full blown alcoholic. And if you are already, then it would just be a good time. :)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Adiabatic posted:

Heh. Swedish beer, best beer. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.