Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FuzzKill posted:

Is my garage going to fail?! I'm not a big beer drinker :(

Beer drinking only really comes naturally to those who have garages. You'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

meatpimp posted:

Beer drinking only really comes naturally to those who have garages. You'll see.

This is ridiculously true. It feels odd to be in the garage without beer.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Thanks for the custom av, anonymous fellow beer-drinker!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Its very pleasing to sit in your garage and watch others tinker away while you drink beer like some sort of alcoholic foreman

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010

8ender posted:

Its very pleasing to sit in your garage and watch others tinker away while you drink beer like some sort of alcoholic foreman

It's not very fun when you're the one working while the other guy is sitting drinking beer :mad:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Fall!!! :unsmith:

Fall... :smith:

My favorite Subaru guy from the Subaru group (the one that brings the most beer, as well as the Dale's Pale Ale) came by to pick up InitialDave's Stoptech pads. While he was here I convinced him to change out his front struts:

He isn't very mechanically inclined, so I told him I'd show him how and all that. Here he is learning how to use air tools: :3:

Here I am drinking his Dale's Pale Ale:

It literally took 30 minutes, with me taking my time to teach and with a tire swap as well. New tires and new front ride height:

New currency in the cash register:

one case of yuengling for the brakes, one case of Yuengling for the strut job. :guinness:

Also holy gently caress InitialDave this Irn Brau stuff is god damned delicious:

You'll have to excuse me. As the seasons change I've seem to come down with a bad case of vertical-phone-itis.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Uuaarghuurrr. My dad always parks his cars under the tree on his drive, and whenever I've detailed one of them, every loving crevice is filled with loving needles, and there's loving sap like loving industrial-strength gorilla snot on every horizontal surface, and three loving days later it'll be collecting the loving things again. :smith:

Adiabatic posted:

My favorite Subaru guy from the Subaru group (the one that brings the most beer, as well as the Dale's Pale Ale) came by to pick up InitialDave's Stoptech pads. While he was here I convinced him to change out his front struts:

Glad you found a home for them. They were for my Hawkeye, so I assume they fit ok?

Adiabatic posted:

Also holy gently caress InitialDave this Irn Brau stuff is god damned delicious:

Pronounced how it's spelled! "Eern Broo"! Now go eat something battered & deep-fried, and apply religious sectarianism to your support of sports teams.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
By which InitialDave means "eat everything battered & deep fried". I've been to Scotland, I know what passes for food there.

This is a cool thread and i wish there was a local Goon with a setup like this where I could trade beer for hoist time. Even just for oil changes on the wife's grocery getter, I hate jacking things up.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
as a totally mechanical fool I appreciate having friends that will watch me work on a car and make sure I don't kill myself. We have a rule that he won't wrench on the car for free, but he is happy to make sure I don't die while drinking my beer. As it goes I haven't spent a dime in a shop in 4 years and I haven't even died!

Really jealous of the shop and if I didn't live cross country I would absolutely bring beer and fried chicken as currency.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Man this thread is great. I'm jealous of the lift, I've never been a tech but when I worked at a shop the techs would let me use them, and the detail bay. Mostly because I provided comic relief because I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

I don't even have a garage or driveway any more. I may have to make arrangements to swing by your place with some beer at some point.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Maksimus54 posted:

as a totally mechanical fool I appreciate having friends that will watch me work on a car and make sure I don't kill myself.

My ex-mechanic father in law is the same. If it starts to go horribly wrong (and it has on a couple of occasions) he jumps in and finishes it off. Much safer that way :)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

A slight derail: the current DD... Mr. 2-Slow.

He really really likes this garage.

He fancies it his home.

:words:

His previous owner assured me that, very specifically, the front suspension was new and would not give me any problems. I brushed this off, as the PO (a mechanical engineering student, therefore retard) didn't seem to know much about it aside from "SLAM CAMBER, AUTOCROSS, WOO".

Front suspension repairs so far:

Steering wheel would "set" 30° to the left if you loaded one corner, and set back to square dead nuts aligned if you loaded the opposite corner. A little research showed this to be the little plastic bushing inside the manual rack.

Popped it on the lift to replace the bushing along with the rack grommets, saw the sway bar links were incorrectly installed and one was busted and rattly, despite being new. Ordered both of them. While replacing the bushing I saw the inner tie rods were replaced. Apparently this, with improperly installed stab links, is "new front suspension". :rolleyes:

Before the sway bar links got here, I got a deep hum. Been down that road before. Ordered wheel bearings. Shook the tires down, found my passenger strut mount had failed. Ordered both.

Hum went away with the new wheel bearings, suspension play went away with the new strut mounts, but a vibration around 60 crept up. The tires were recently balanced and I didn't see any remnants of a weight that decided to end it all... turns out, the idiot never put centering rings on his sweet aftermarket Borbet rims. The ID of the rim is 73mm, and the hub ring OD is 60mm... ordered centering rings. :rolleyes:

The shake must have bumped poo poo loose, because my perfectly functional and no-signs-of-impending-doom driver's strut (the one without the mount problem) just started violently going wrong. It has a shake-down play like a ball joint that's about to pop out of its socket, only you can see the shaft moving independent of the body. :stonk: Centering rings are here, but the cartridges won't be until after Thanksgiving.

I've quit driving it until I can get strut cartridges replaced. Good loving god. I'm probably about $200 away from replacing every wear part in the front suspension, and I'm mulling over just doing it because they're all apparently time-bombs.

Every time I put this thing on the lift I see that idiot's cheeky grin in my head and hear him say "But the front suspension is perfect! You won't have to worry about that!"

I should've known, AI.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

And I bet you were wondering where all that beer went...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress POs forever, man.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
When summer rolls around, I'mma come visit. I'll probably have some parts like new shocks/suspension to pop on, simply because my 300ZX just rides reaaaaaally stiff. Really really stiff.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Terrible Robot posted:

Absolutely this. The guy I bought my Century wagon from swore up and down that he had had the lower intake manifold gasket done, which is a known issue on the 3100 engine. When the head gaskets popped five days after I got the thing home, I tore it down and found the factory plastic LIM gaskets. Good thing for him he was 250 miles away or I just might have driven the car into his house.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

My Miata PO had a squeaky speedo cable, and dutifully greased it. The outside of it. With chain lube.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

Can this be PO unappreciation week?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

cursedshitbox posted:

I'll go get my Appreciation Bat!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Every week is PO unappreciation week.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Every week is PO unappreciation week.
Let me tell you about electrical tape on a broken MAF sensor plug, or electrical tape holding together the cooling tube for the ECU and TCU, or electrical tape holding the broken airbox together. If I find one more wrap of motherfucking electrical tape I swear...

I really need to put my swedish princess on Adiabatic's lift and gently caress her underbody.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Due to this thread I decided to try this stuff myself. (You can order ANYTHING on Amazon these days. It's like a slow version of the Star Trek replicator, tell it what you want, 3-5 days later it shows up.)

Trip Report: Pretty drat tasty, like orange soda with a creme-soda aftertaste. A+++ would drink again.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

Dannywilson posted:

Trip Report: Pretty drat tasty, like orange soda with a creme-soda aftertaste. A+++ would drink again.

So, its FOUR LOKO for prissy rich white people, then?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Viggen posted:

It doesn't have alcohol in it, so, no?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

Terrible Robot posted:

It doesn't have alcohol in it, so, no?

Oops! I figured that it was as it was Scottish. :blush:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Viggen posted:

Just soda.

I may have alcohol in me at this any given point, so it all comes out in the wash. But very light on the caffeine, so no "FO'LOKO BRAH! LETS GET SHITHOUSED!" vibes.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 27, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Viggen posted:

Oops! I figured that it was as it was Scottish. :blush:

To be fair, that's a pretty reasonable assumption to make about a Scottish drink.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PxuFQCDis

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The "gets you through" Irn Bru advert series is loving hilarious.

WKD do an Iron Brew flavour, there's a cocktail called a Demeanor which has a similar taste to Irn Bru. Of course, the correct technique is to pour regular Irn Bru down your gullet over a preparatory dose of Tennent's, separating the dissimilar liquids with a fish supper or a munchie box.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Viggen posted:

So, its FOUR LOKO for prissy rich very white people, then?

Fixed that for you. Remember - Scottish

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Out at my girlfriends aunts place in Augusta. Her boyfriend's got a bunch of cool toys. Pics to follow when I get back.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Adiabatic posted:

A slight derail: the current DD... Mr. 2-Slow.

He really really likes this garage.

He fancies it his home.

:words:

His previous owner assured me that, very specifically, the front suspension was new and would not give me any problems. I brushed this off, as the PO (a mechanical engineering student, therefore retard) didn't seem to know much about it aside from "SLAM CAMBER, AUTOCROSS, WOO".

Front suspension repairs so far:

Steering wheel would "set" 30° to the left if you loaded one corner, and set back to square dead nuts aligned if you loaded the opposite corner. A little research showed this to be the little plastic bushing inside the manual rack.

Popped it on the lift to replace the bushing along with the rack grommets, saw the sway bar links were incorrectly installed and one was busted and rattly, despite being new. Ordered both of them. While replacing the bushing I saw the inner tie rods were replaced. Apparently this, with improperly installed stab links, is "new front suspension". :rolleyes:

Before the sway bar links got here, I got a deep hum. Been down that road before. Ordered wheel bearings. Shook the tires down, found my passenger strut mount had failed. Ordered both.

Hum went away with the new wheel bearings, suspension play went away with the new strut mounts, but a vibration around 60 crept up. The tires were recently balanced and I didn't see any remnants of a weight that decided to end it all... turns out, the idiot never put centering rings on his sweet aftermarket Borbet rims. The ID of the rim is 73mm, and the hub ring OD is 60mm... ordered centering rings. :rolleyes:

The shake must have bumped poo poo loose, because my perfectly functional and no-signs-of-impending-doom driver's strut (the one without the mount problem) just started violently going wrong. It has a shake-down play like a ball joint that's about to pop out of its socket, only you can see the shaft moving independent of the body. :stonk: Centering rings are here, but the cartridges won't be until after Thanksgiving.

I've quit driving it until I can get strut cartridges replaced. Good loving god. I'm probably about $200 away from replacing every wear part in the front suspension, and I'm mulling over just doing it because they're all apparently time-bombs.

Every time I put this thing on the lift I see that idiot's cheeky grin in my head and hear him say "But the front suspension is perfect! You won't have to worry about that!"

I should've known, AI.

The hubcentric rings make a massive difference on the sw20 with aftermarket wheels, the light front end seems to make any vibration worse.

Might as well go all the way and get a set of koni sports, eibach/h&r springs and some stiffer sways. Then pick up a bush kit, the prothane ones are pretty cheap on ebay. Not sure about the us cars but if its a 89/91 they also have adjustable caster.

Also if you get konis they have a lifetime warranty in the us, unlike in europe where the drat things are built.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Adiabatic posted:

Out at my girlfriends aunts place in Augusta. Her boyfriend's got a bunch of cool toys. Pics to follow when I get back.

I first read this as "my girlfriends place in Augusta" and was VERY confused.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Went to Georgia this weekend. It was pretty god damned AI/TFR/TCC.

My girlfriend's uncle has a bunch of cool toys. He's got a workshop with a lift:

A wood stove:

A sweet metal bench with a vise:

Some other cool poo poo:

This thing:

All these things:

I drove that one in the foreground some:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frYUU_ISgUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5qWtfEZZI

We also shot stuff:

Here's my girlfriend's brother-in-law shooting a tub of tannerite with a .30-06 (oops vertical video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2utgtOIWRE

I also shot a .45-70. God drat.

Got back to Richmond at 7pm last night, popped the new struts in the MR2 that arrived while I was gone, went to a local car meetup thing where I saw this amusing license plate:

All in all a decent holiday weekend. Back to the grind.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

I also shot a .45-70. God drat.

That's about what I said the first time I shot one. So much fun.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My Miata PO had a squeaky speedo cable, and dutifully greased it. The outside of it. With chain lube.

That's awesome and it made me laugh. In exchange I'll share that I used dialectric grease on my coil-on-plug ignition terminals because I had a bit of a misconception of what it does.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Got back to Richmond at 7pm last night, popped the new struts in the MR2 that arrived while I was gone, went to a local car meetup thing where I saw this amusing license plate:

All in all a decent holiday weekend. Back to the grind.

Ah yes, I know that car! I would've been going to that meet if I wasn't otherwise in LA this week. >:|

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

I'm guessing you also drank the can of thinner?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Moxie Omen posted:

Ah yes, I know that car! I would've been going to that meet if I wasn't otherwise in LA this week. >:|

Yeah? I met that dude that has the blue Mustang and does the videos on Youtube, and didn't realize it was him until he said something about it. Super nice guy.

Come find me next time you're out there on a warm Sunday. The MR2 is usually to the left under a tree, and I'll probably be with the anti-social Subarus in a Brembo hoodie.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I'm guessing you also drank the can of thinner?

:banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Got the right OD hub rings finally. Just got back from the test drive and now I've got a constant vibration at 60, but it's half what it used to be when it was intermittent. One of the wheels must be out of balance.

Holy poo poo does it like corners now...