Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Alright so after some time on the highway my vibration problem is still hugely apparent. It tends more towards the drivers side, gets worse when I put pressure on the drivers side, and I can feel weirdness in parking lots when turning right (again pressure on the drivers side).

No movement in the ball joints when I do a shake down, but the tie rod ends are stupid difficult to shake down with the slack in the rack and the fact that the rack is manual. Could this be an outer tie rod giving up the ghost?

Regardless, the (loving LESS THAN A YEAR OLD) tires are going to get road-forced soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Regardless, the (loving LESS THAN A YEAR OLD) tires are going to get road-forced soon.

Have you done a front-to-back rotation of the tires first? That's always my go-to when diagnosing vibrations that may be tire related... if it changes after the rotation, it's probably tires, if not, welp.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I would have already, but I'm not sure they'll fit as they're staggered. Might as well try though.

Ordered both outer tie rods and ball joints for the gently caress of it. Turned out to be almost exactly the same $$$ as my mileage reimbursement from November.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Flip em side to side on the front and see if it changes sides.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What in the hell...

The vibration is actually the wheel fighting me. It's natural state is a back and forth shimmy that is initiated on a bump and grows until it gets way out of hand. Check out this video of me driving at 70 with my hand off the wheel:

http://youtu.be/yHU8HTVpkrw

Could this be my toe alignment being hosed? Bad tie rod? I could feel some give internal to the rack when I shook the passenger tire down while I had my roommate hold the wheel in place. I couldn't easily tell where it was coming from.

I figure this has to either be a bad tie rod, something hosed in the rack, horrible toe misalignment, or maybe the sway bar is loving with things?

Edit: just looked at the wheel on the ground on both sides and it looks like the caster is very far forward. The tie rod joint is about an inch or two forward of the rack and the tires look toe'd in. Taking it to an alignment tech friend after lunch.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 5, 2014

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Why not just install the new parts and see what happens?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

Why not just install the new parts and see what happens?

Delivery date of 12/12 :smith:

It's dropped off while I'm at work, will know in an hour or two probably.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I got this piece of poo poo aligned when I first got it. :argh: FIRESTONE! :argh:

Would any of my repairs have changed the toe this much? I've done:

Wheel bearings (LF was howling)
Strut mounts (LF was ovalled)
Strut cartridges (LF had translational play and was leaking)
Rack bushing (little plastic piece in between the rack shaft and the rack tube where the RF inner tie rod joins.)
Sway bar end links (installed backwards by PO :downs: )

I had to take the RF inner tie rod off to do the rack bushing, but I never touched the inner->outer tie rod connection and instead popped both outer tie rods off the hub.

RE: Caster still being wonky... My buddy wouldn't touch the radius arms to adjust the caster, but he said if I took to them at home and pushed them back half an inch, he'd put it back on the alignment rack and mop up.

Ugh.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Anytime the struts/mounts are serviced you generally will require an alignment. That being said, a 1/2" of toe is pretty ridiculous. Can you find your alignment sheet from Firestone?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

/\/\/\ I don't believe they gave me one, which was a mistake on my part to not follow up on.

I'd dare say I had a toe problem:

Tried impacting the radius arm bolts, but they're on there pretty good:

Soaked them in PB Blaster, awaiting the second try when I can be assed to do it.

Girlfriend's Rav4 came in, complaints of a "Strange smell". It smells like something died up in there:

Introducing the Rav4 Superleggera:

Never found the source. It smelled like it was coming from the rear seats, but we took them out and let it sit for an hour and the smell was still there. It will smell horrible when you first get in, but after you crack a window and turn on the HVAC it'll slowly dissipate to nothing. Then when you let it sit for an hour, smell's back. Any ideas, internet?

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Then when you let it sit for an hour, smell's back. Any ideas, internet?

None. Same problem in my POS forester. Going to try steam cleaning the carpets and a borax dusting soon.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you couldn't find it by crawling over the car with your nose an inch from the carpet it might be the ac evaporator, if it has ac.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Carpet clean and a hardware store product called Ozium is how I deal with hosed up car smells.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Probably extreme nastiness in the HEVAC box (rotten mold) or a dead animal somewhere. Which does it smell like?

It's amazing how much of a stench a single decomposing mouse will make.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Definitely smells of dead mouse. Her black lab is in the back quite a bit, and the carpet smells like you would think, but this is dead, rotting corpse of a small animal smell. Check in every nook I could find on the undercarriage and in the engine bay as well.

If it were in the HVAC system I would assume it would get worse when you turned the heat on, but I haven't tried the A/C yet...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Strip and cage it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

Carpet clean and a hardware store product called Ozium is how I deal with hosed up car smells.

I told her this, and she said "Oh that must be the stuff we used to use for the weed smell".

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The owner of my last car had a dog and the car stank until you opened the window or the AC got going.

I took out all the carpet and the back seat and all the trim. Hoovered and brushed it and then and scrubbed it all with carpet shampoo and then pressure washed it till no more dirt came out and then left it out to dry for about 2 weeks. Cleaned and scrubbed (carefully) the inside of the car before it went back in too. It pretty much fixed it!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Headliner? Is there enough room up there for something to crawl up and die? Or maybe a pillar?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Lift up the carpet. I had a Tribeca come in to my old dealership smelling like DEATHHH. I ended up removing the carpet. Dead mouse in a strange nook. Id say look under the carpet where the back seat was. It wouldn't be the first time some little fucker of a mouse found his way somewhere assholey to die in.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, voting under the carpet as well if it isn't that nasty swamp smell from the A/C condensate drain.

If you're lucky it's a deceased chicken nugget. Or a broccoli floret.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Got new front tires, and the shaking is 90% gone. Still a bit of a shimmy right around 70mph, but holy poo poo my car is bearable to drive again.

Now that the MR2 is mostly sorted, school is done for the semester, and the end of the huge end-of-year push at work is in sight, hopefully I'll have some updates on the cabinets. And something to put on top of them... if you've been paying close attention to the december chat thread you'll know what I'm talking about.

Some friend of mine asked me last night if I "know how to check brakes" :3: She's coming over tonight.

Might be doing bushings on that WRX that I did 4 struts on a while back, and an up-pipe/external wastegate on another one hopefully.

~*~*IT'S ALL IN THE WORKS*~*~

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Friend came by:

Turns out it's a 2010 Civic and her brake pads and fluid are fine. I checked them anyway for her peace of mind.

From what she describes it sounds like she's experiencing brake fade. As her Shadetree Mechanic I advised her to lay off the left pedal and slow her roll with the road rage. She said she'd take a Prozac.

Saturday I'm headed up to DC to meet up with alterate.eago, Terrible Robot, and iForge for a goony business transaction.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Saturday I'm headed up to DC to meet up with alterate.eago, Terrible Robot, and iForge for a goony business transaction.

:gooncamp:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Saga incoming.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Adiabatic posted:

Never found the source. It smelled like it was coming from the rear seats, but we took them out and let it sit for an hour and the smell was still there. It will smell horrible when you first get in, but after you crack a window and turn on the HVAC it'll slowly dissipate to nothing. Then when you let it sit for an hour, smell's back. Any ideas, internet?

Cabin air filter? My old Focus had that issue, turned out to be full of rotting leaves.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Saga incoming.

That's a weird looking Romanian prostitute. You might need glasses if you're going to keep it up with this kidnapping hobby.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

~*~*~*OF VISE AND MEN*~*~*~

A week ago, I was hanging out in the AI chat thread, and mentioned my need for a vise. iForge piped up about his 200 pounder for sale, and uploaded a single image:

I had to have it.

Details were sent back and forth for a couple of days, and finally we agreed on a location. Terrible Robot would be showing up at alternate.eago's house in Maryland, and we would crash it.

This harrowing adventure would set me 3.5 hours from home. Even more worrying, it was a full hour North of Washington DC.

Despite holding as opposing capitals in the War Between the States, Richmond and DC lie a mere 100 miles apart. The land between them stands contested to this day, with DC apparently winning. North of Richmond turns to farmland and Virginia Pine relatively quickly, whereas South of DC lies a wasteland of soulless suburbia and traffic called Northern Virginia. It was this no-mans-land child of divorce I would have to cross before I could truly count myself behind enemy lines. Waiting for me was the worst traffic in the Nation.

This would be my valiant steed:

I hoped the Hybrid system would mask my inherent Southern-ness.

I set out at 8:30 this morning, with hopes of arriving undetected around Noon.

The drive up would consist of a harrowing game of cat and mouse. I-95 snakes itself around the old Highway 1, and is the route of choice but for its perilous traffic jams. If you could spot them early enough, any exit off I-95 would quickly divert you onto Highway 1. There you could bypass gridlock before popping back onto the interstate:

Thankfully, I was able to avoid most of the carnage. I even found time to take some candid shots of notable landmarks:

I drove through alternate.eago's town with a careless attitude and a jovial mind. Maybe Yankees weren't that bad! Right at Noon I pulled into alternate.eago's drive, riddled with "No Tresspassing" signs, and sat dumbfounded:

Was I in heaven? I expected everything in Maryland to be clean-cut, with no soul and no purpose, grinding through the day without conscience or awareness. Here lied what looked to be a page right out of my home in the dirty South!

Taken aback, I was greeted by alternate.eago and his brother (a lurker on these here forums). We made nice and I checked out his backyard full of toys. It gave off a level of Kastein I had only read about. The Yanks even lulled me into one of their chariots:

Their music was strange, but palatable:

I had been sold. The cold Yankee air had gotten under my skin. As iForge and Terrible Robot each pulled up and made greetings we finally entered the house, and things suddenly got weird.

Nothing could have prepared me for what was in store:

A neighbor came by donning cheetah print as far as the eye could see. My Southern charm was quick to greet her and announce, maybe too heartily, that we were from the internet. She seemed perplexed but carried on. As she left, a familiar goony silence came about the room.

I should pause to tell you that when i picked up the truck, my father told me to be careful when meeting strangers. I would have carried along my conceal carry, but Maryland's gun laws are hugely strict and my permit does not carry over.

Alternate.eago and his brother broke the silence, asking if we liked guns. As soon as we said yes, a pistol, no two, no four were sitting on the counter before us. As if rehearsed, alternate.eago and his brother threw forth a seemingly never-ending stream of firearms from hidden places all over the house. Not thirty seconds after our affirmation, the counter sat riddled with this sight:

This is apparently their "couch rifle". Guess where it hides?

Another hidden rifle:

They're onto me. Time to run.

Having already made the transaction with iForge, I hoofed it out of there, only taking a quick glance back to check for tails:

Driving back through DC, high on caffeine and thinking of the story I would get to tell, I had forgotten the great peril of NoVA. As I crossed the Potomac, she greeted me with her worst:

I was no match. Beaten and battered, I limped forth as best I could muster. Mile after mile of countless car, slowly petering out as I retreated Southward.

Even the Virginia state planners concede Northern Virginia to the Yankees. The Virginia welcome center is just North of Fredericksburg, a full 50 miles south of the state line:

I was still a long way to Richmond, rollin' South on 95, but I felt that I had made the trip, and beat those Yanks.

It was only as I pulled in to the Welcome Center that I dared take a look at my prize:

Well worth it indeed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

God drat, Adiabatic, I take back anything negative I've said or implied. You're al-right.

Where's the picture of the vice mounted? And do you have anything manly enough to mount it to (without crushing the structure of your girly workbenches)?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

That vice is awesome.

Also gently caress that stretch of 95 forever.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Yall were in my neck of the woods. That loop in DC is horrible and confusing. I avoid it at all costs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah 95 through DC is the worst of the worst. I avoid it at all costs now and would rather go through WV getting nose bleeds.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

God drat, Adiabatic, I take back anything negative I've said or implied. You're al-right.

Where's the picture of the vice mounted? And do you have anything manly enough to mount it to (without crushing the structure of your girly workbenches)?

Vise is sitting by the fridge, waiting for us to finish the cabinets. Gotta give it a good home!

ajcz
Aug 27, 2009
I love how you can see me wearing a camo hat while handing off the couch gun.

Thanks for coming by. It was fun.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Glad you enjoyed hanging out! Yeah, my neighbor had questionable fashion today..... That was a lot of cheetah print, but in her defense she is an older lady. Also, you took the Baltimore/Washington Parkway (295) that is the worst way to drive up.

Thanks for taking a pic of my retirement plans (the still sealed copies of Win 98)...... The gun thing was not rehearsed, it just sorta happened. Man that Harbor Freight tarp-shanty over the red truck looks really really bad... And all those boxes in the room with the toolbox are christmas decorations, I just hadn't gotten around to putting them all over the tree and the boxes back to where they belong.

I hope you use the new vise as everyone suggested!

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 14, 2014

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

No worries dude your place is AI/DIY as gently caress and it was an awesome time. Thanks for having me and hopefully I'll see you guys in January!

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I haven't had anyone else's car on my lift yet. It's too full of my own poo poo.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Today was excellent. Met some good goons, played with guns, looked at cars and piles of car parts, ate Chinese food. A good day. Enjoy the vise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Excellent story-telling, almost as entertaining to read as it was actually being there.

alternate.eago, ajcz, you guys rock, thanks for having us all over, hopefully we can do it again some time. It was great getting to meet iForge and everybody else. Plus the chinese and the car parts and the laughs (my face literally started hurting from laughing so much), just an awesome day.

I like how in nearly every picture I'm in I have a gun in my hand, haha