Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
The Bills offense will futilely run up the middle at least once every three downs. There is a roughly 85% chance this will result in a gain of 3 or less yards. Eventually, we might start throwing the ball. If the defense doesn't get lit up by Bridgewater because we decide to do something about as dumb as attempting to cover Gronk with Duke Williams, we should win. But it'll be close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Flikken posted:

It'll be the bucs.

One game at a time fellas.

Let's just focus on the Jags.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I don't think there's any way Cam Newton doesn't pull a Kaepernick all over the Packers. The defense got exposed on a couple basic Tannehill options on Sunday, and Dom Capers seems incapable of containing a dual-threat quarterback. It'll probably be even worse if Lattimore doesn't play.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Febreeze posted:

Yeah I see no need for analysis the Giants are going to get stomped by Dallas

Here's my HOT TAKE on how Dallas should approach preparations for the Giants game this week:

Vlishgnath
Mar 27, 2006
The collective assholes of Arizona fans are so tightly clenched that nothing short of industrial lubricants and space aged laxatives can keep us from making GBS threads blood through Wednesday each week.

Our defense may be much lauded (and lets face it, Oakland isn't going to try to run against us), but either James Jones or Andre Holmes is going to have a career day against Patrick Peterson. It'll be a potential shootout if: Fitz can repeat and someone can apply liberal amounts of stickem to John Brown's hands.

Oh, and if Palmer's shoulder doesn't go back to sleep and, if so, Drew Stanton can remember what day it is.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

San Diego will lose

What if Kansas City's players have never been hot before

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

football fuckerman posted:

What if Kansas City's players have never been hot before

Andy Reid off a bye, man. Done deal

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

I don't think there's any way Cam Newton doesn't pull a Kaepernick all over the Packers. The defense got exposed on a couple basic Tannehill options on Sunday, and Dom Capers seems incapable of containing a dual-threat quarterback. It'll probably be even worse if Lattimore doesn't play.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.

Bad news...

To contribute, the Falcons are going to be completely loving destroyed by the Ravens. I don't even know why I'm going to watch this game, the contest was decided in every draft for the last 4 years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

He's lost his last two off of the bye for whatever that's worth (and is like 13-2 or something all time).

How is San Diego's o-line looking? I assume pretty good for Rivers to be putting up the bullshit numbers he is but he's been good enough at times in the past where that wouldn't matter.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

If the Cowboys can get even half as much pressure on Eli as the Eagles did on Sunday, it'll be a long day for the Giants in the passing game, especially with Cruz gone. Beckham will get his, but I think McClain and Bruce Carter can keep Donnell in check and I don't even know who else the Giants have at receiver. The real concern is whether the Cowboys can stop the run, especially if Jennings plays, since they haven't been good against the run at all this year.

Offensively, I'd expect more of the same. Run, run, run. How is the Giants d-line this year? I know their secondary is their strength, but the Cowboys were able to pass the ball pretty effectively against Seattle, so I'm not that worried.

Of course, now that I've said all this, Romo will probably throw 4 picks and we'll lose a weird one.

D line is... competent. JPP is a beast against the run even though the sack numbers aren't there like they used to be.

The other WR is Rueben Randle, who has very good physical tools but is uhhh... prone to mental mistakes, to put it kindly. He is a retard. If/when he runs the correct route, he runs it badly. I wouldn't worry about him too much. Past him, Jernigan is on IR, so I actually have no idea who the 3rd wideout is. We've fallen so far from 'Deepest WR corps in the league'.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Some notes re: Saints @ Lions:

quote:

The Saints are now 0-3 on the road this season, with two of those games inside and the third, against Cleveland, in mild weather. They are 1-8 in their past nine away games.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-s-troubling-the-saints--life-on-the-road-005701448.html

quote:

In Sunday's 17-3 defeat of Minnesota, the Lions sacked Vikings' quarterback Teddy Bridgewater eight times. They chased and hit him more than that.

The Lions raised their record to 4-2 and their stature as a defense to best in the 32-team National Football League. They give up an average of only 13.7 points per game and an average of only 270.7 yards per game, best in both categories.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/10/column_but_how_will_detroits_d.html

quote:

The New Orleans defense was supposed to be more loaded than it has been in any time in the Sean Payton-Drew Brees era. They finished fourth in yards allowed and points allowed last year, and then added Pro Bowl safety Jairus Byrd for good measure.

Instead, they're currently ranked 29th in the NFL in yards allowed, 27th in points allowed and 31st in turnovers forced (one, which came way back in the first quarter of Week 1).
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/10017/saints-defense-remains-biggest-concern

I think we know how this game ends.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

That seems like the kind of stat or trend you would ignore if you felt like it or give credit to if you felt like it, though

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

He's lost his last two off of the bye for whatever that's worth (and is like 13-2 or something all time).

How is San Diego's o-line looking? I assume pretty good for Rivers to be putting up the bullshit numbers he is but he's been good enough at times in the past where that wouldn't matter.

PFF grades them like 30th in the league, I dunno how much stock you put in that.

We're starting a backup center and are vulnerable up the middle. The tackles are strong and have played well, though Fluker isn't a hundred percent.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Philly Rivers is p dang good so I can see him making some KC CBs look bad

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami will lose because as we have demonstrated (and our coach has even openly admitted) our talent is quite good but our coaching staff has the testicular fortitude of a 8 year old child

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

NC-17 posted:

gently caress these short week Thursday games.

You're playing the loving Jets, who cares

Niners probably going to lose this week, playing Denver on the road potentially without Willis OR Bowman seems like a recipe for disaster. They can probably score on Denver's poo poo defense if they get out of their own way, but that's hardly a given and Peyton will likely carve them up. Fangio's amazing but you can only do so much against Manning.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you like defenses that do not have the personnel to stop the opposing offense, then Carolina-Green Bay is going to be your game of the week. also if you're a sports writer that likes easy story lines, have I got good news for your!

I actually don't think the Packers will have too terrible a time with Cam. They're so athletic on the outside with Matthews and Peppers they won't be gashed for massive inside runs. Cam still isn't running very fast, and was really only successful last week because I don't think the Bengals planned for him moving at all. While I don't think the Packers have the personnel to really disrupt the pocket, as bad as Carolina's oline actually is, I do think they'll keep any scrambling cam bullshit in check.

Watch for Peppers to have a big game. He feels slighted by Carolina, even though we offered him the largest defensive contract in NFL history and he went out of his way to make himself untradeable. What a guy. Cam is still having the best throwing year of his career, and I predict it will continue. However, the Panthers will likely get down two scores again before they decide to let cam free, and even the latest hack iteration of dom capers should be able to figure out how to stop a team that can't even pretend to run. Also the Panthers have no runningback. Stewart will likely fall down a flight of stairs before sunday and blow out his whatever again.

When Green Bay has the ball, they'll be going deep early and often. Three times this year there's been nothing between the RB and the end zone but him, and all three times he's barely made contact. He's slow, he takes bad angles, and is the definition of "done." Jordy Nelson will be open deep all game and there won't be anything Decoud to do to stop it. The Panthers best defensive lineman is Kawaan Short, but he doesn't get to play because seniority or some dumb bullshit that people believed in back in the 40s when richardson learned the game. They really need Hardy back, but the earliest he'll return is next week against Seattle. Charles Johnson is clearly battling some injury. He's just ineffective.

Bottom line, Panthers don't have the talent in the front seven to mask their deficiencies in the secondary. too much rodgers bullshit and coaching incompetence to overcome. If shula was smart he'd just let Cam do his thing out there, but he'll spend the first quarter and a half trying to establish Fozzy Whitaker.

Packers by 10.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

If the Cowboys can get even half as much pressure on Eli as the Eagles did on Sunday, it'll be a long day for the Giants in the passing game, especially with Cruz gone. Beckham will get his, but I think McClain and Bruce Carter can keep Donnell in check and I don't even know who else the Giants have at receiver. The real concern is whether the Cowboys can stop the run, especially if Jennings plays, since they haven't been good against the run at all this year.

Offensively, I'd expect more of the same. Run, run, run. How is the Giants d-line this year? I know their secondary is their strength, but the Cowboys were able to pass the ball pretty effectively against Seattle, so I'm not that worried.

Of course, now that I've said all this, Romo will probably throw 4 picks and we'll lose a weird one.

Our D-line is a strength, especially against the run, but Shady just had his best game of the year so I don't even know anymore. Until that game they were playing lights out. You guys have the best O-line in the business, so I expect Murray to be just fine. We might hold him under 100 yards if the D-line plays lights out, but that's a big if.

Our secondary isn't performing as well as it should on paper. Rolle is hit or miss and DRC seems to be having nagging injury issues. Prince is fine. I don't think they will play that bad, but if we can't pressure Romo through your line then players are going to get open. Also, Jason Witten over the middle will stab us repeatedly as usual. Herzlich can't do poo poo and Beason isn't 100% yet.

Jennings is out till at least the Colts game, so you don't need to worry about him. Williams is a bruiser but can't pass block or catch so he's a one dimensional threat. With Cruz out our passing game takes a huge hit. If the O-line remembers how to play we might put up a mild fight, but honestly I think this is just going to be a slaughter and we'll only have a chance if Dallas has an off game. On paper at least. Giants/Cowboys games tend to be wacko, so honestly we can speculate all we want, we have such a history of bizarre games these past few seasons that who knows.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 14, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm nervous about the Saints game even if they are struggling right now. I think if Detroit wins it'll be a statement game, either because the defense will show that it's truly legit or the offense will have finally stepped it up a notch. If they win I don't see another potential loss until the Pats game. If they lose, who knows.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

TNF next week will rule

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I'm nervous about the Saints game even if they are struggling right now. I think if Detroit wins it'll be a statement game, either because the defense will show that it's truly legit or the offense will have finally stepped it up a notch. If they win I don't see another potential loss until the Pats game. If they lose, who knows.

Beating the Saints defense right now isn't a statement of anything but the obvious.

And just so you Saints fans don't think I'm dumping on your team, I feel the same way about the Falcons.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
Even if the Cowboys win Sunday, it's going to be a close one because everyone has them winning this effortlessly. The Cowboys always do the opposite of the general consensus; nothing is easy, everything is earned. 6-1 is going to be a tough milestone to achieve, I think.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I believe my team will win this week despite having to face some pretty good receivers with our awful secondary. I hope the Will Hill addition improves things back there.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

I believe my team will win this week despite having to face some pretty good receivers with our awful secondary. I hope the Will Hill addition improves things back there.

I think Julio and Roddy have good and shattered any suspicion that they were "pretty good receivers." Maybe they "used to be pretty good receivers" but they're turning in pure dog poo poo performances in 2014. If anything, the bears, giants, and vikings have exposed the fact that Julio and Roddy REQUIRE a 3rd genuine receiver on the field in order for either of them to do an impressive amount of ball catching. Right now, the Falcons do not have that, as Harry is still hurt and Levine has the hands of a gargoyle at dawn.

I'm going to predict... 31-20, Ravens.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Chilichimp posted:

I think Julio and Roddy have good and shattered any suspicion that they were "pretty good receivers." Maybe they "used to be pretty good receivers" but they're turning in pure dog poo poo performances in 2014. If anything, the bears, giants, and vikings have exposed the fact that Julio and Roddy REQUIRE a 3rd genuine receiver on the field in order for either of them to do an impressive amount of ball catching. Right now, the Falcons do not have that, as Harry is still hurt and Levine has the hands of a gargoyle at dawn.

I'm going to predict... 31-20, Ravens.

Anything is possible if Matt Elam starts. You have no idea how bad this guy is he wrecks the entire secondary just being there. He's one of the worst players I've ever seen. I'm not sure if Will Hill is ready to come in and start immediately so if he's not then you have a chance just because of Elam's presence on the field.

But I think that even with that the Ravens will take it.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

JJ Watt owns

This is a really radical opinion can you explain why you think JJ Watt is a good player???

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Chilichimp posted:

Beating the Saints defense right now isn't a statement of anything but the obvious.

And just so you Saints fans don't think I'm dumping on your team, I feel the same way about the Falcons.

If that's the case the statement then becomes "we beat a team we were supposed to beat", which is as much a mark of a good team as what I posted previously.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

If that's the case the statement then becomes "we beat a team we were supposed to beat", which is as much a mark of a good team as what I posted previously.

Oh for sure, I just wanted another chance at self deprecation and also gently caress the Saints.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Chilichimp posted:

Oh for sure, I just wanted another chance at self deprecation and also gently caress the Saints.

I dunno, game 7 or 8 is usually where the wheels start to come off of these strong Lions starts, and the Saints are coming off a bye so I'm nervous as heck. If this was in NO I'd be putting it down as a loss.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Chilichimp posted:

If anything, the bears, giants, and vikings have exposed the fact that Julio and Roddy REQUIRE a 3rd genuine receiver on the field in order for either of them to do an impressive amount of ball catching. Right now, the Falcons do not have that

I don't think Julio and Roddy look bad, and I think Hester has played that 3rd receiver role pretty well.

Julio against Vikings, Giants, and Bears:
code:
REC	TGTS	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD	
4	12	68	17.0	29	0
11	16	105	9.5	22	0
6	8	82	13.7	21	0
Roddy against Vikings, Giants, and Bears:
code:
REC	TGTS	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD	
4	14	73	18.3	24	1
2	4	26	13.0	22	0
3	6	40	13.3	23	0
For comparison, Julian Edelman against Chiefs, Bengals, and Bills:
code:
REC	TGTS	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD	
4	9	23	5.8	7	0
5	8	35	7.0	14	0
9	12	91	10.1	20	0
Also I note that Julio is #3 in receiving yards this year (although Roddy is #64).
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards/qualified/false

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 14, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It may feel like Julian Edelman is thrown to 35 times a game, but I assure you it is merely 1/3rd that many.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Kalli posted:

It may feel like Julian Edelman is thrown to 35 times a game, but I assure you it is merely 1/3rd that many.

Column got cut off; corrected.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Vlishgnath posted:

The collective assholes of Arizona fans are so tightly clenched that nothing short of industrial lubricants and space aged laxatives can keep us from making GBS threads blood through Wednesday each week.

Our defense may be much lauded (and lets face it, Oakland isn't going to try to run against us), but either James Jones or Andre Holmes is going to have a career day against Patrick Peterson. It'll be a potential shootout if: Fitz can repeat and someone can apply liberal amounts of stickem to John Brown's hands.

Oh, and if Palmer's shoulder doesn't go back to sleep and, if so, Drew Stanton can remember what day it is.

My rear end in a top hat is feeling loose bro, I have a feeling Carson's gonna to do what he does best: make Oakland lose games. Gonna drop a couple tds and Ellington will have a nice game. It might be close at the half but the second half will be lights out for the D. Honey Badger gets a sack fumble TD to ice the game.

18-1

Am I doing this analysis thing wrong?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

My rear end in a top hat is feeling loose bro, I have a feeling Carson's gonna to do what he does best: make Oakland lose games. Gonna drop a couple tds and Ellington will have a nice game. It might be close at the half but the second half will be lights out for the D. Honey Badger gets a sack fumble TD to ice the game.

18-1

Am I doing this analysis thing wrong?

Go Raiders

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

NC-17 posted:

Butt fumble was the third Thanksgiving game, not really TNF.

It was football played on the night of a Thursday.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I've watched a couple Dolphins games and I couldn't even tell you what Miami does well (DLine?). Bears should get an early lead and coast through to the end

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

I don't think Julio and Roddy look bad, and I think Hester has played that 3rd receiver role pretty well.

Julio against Vikings, Giants, and Bears:
code:
REC	TGTS	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD	
4	12	68	17.0	29	0
11	16	105	9.5	22	0
6	8	82	13.7	21	0
Roddy against Vikings, Giants, and Bears:
code:
REC	TGTS	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD	
4	14	73	18.3	24	1
2	4	26	13.0	22	0
3	6	40	13.3	23	0
For comparison, Julian Edelman against Chiefs, Bengals, and Bills:
code:
REC	TGTS	YDS	AVG	LNG	TD	
4	9	23	5.8	7	0
5	8	35	7.0	14	0
9	12	91	10.1	20	0
Also I note that Julio is #3 in receiving yards this year (although Roddy is #64).
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards/qualified/false

There's too many dropped balls, man. Sure the net yardage is above average for a receiver and his season total is generally impressive, but the Falcons receivers have dropped so-god-drat-many-balls. The team would be close to undefeated if not for the dropsies.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

solauran posted:

Yeah what the hell is happening with the Jets oline this season? Denver was having a field day even with a four man rush. Geno's not the best but that oline and those receivers aren't helping.

Anyway based on last week's game against the Bills, I'm expecting the Patriots to beat the Jets but the Jets will be within a touchdown in the last quarter. Maybe this week we will finally recover a fumble, or not stone-hand an easy pick, or not fumble/muff on special teams. Come back Westhoff :smith:

Geno is also straight garbage.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chilichimp posted:

There's too many dropped balls, man. Sure the net yardage is above average for a receiver and his season total is generally impressive, but the Falcons receivers have dropped so-god-drat-many-balls. The team would be close to undefeated if not for the dropsies.

Yeah, you should probably trade Julio for Jason Avant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I think Austin Davis is a pretty cool guy for being a reasonably competent third stringer, but I'm thinking the Seahawks can bounce back in this one. Even if Harvin only gets one downfield pass again or if Lynch only gets 10 carries again.

• Locked thread