Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

archerb posted:

Why do the Japanese fill their nerdy pop-culture stuff with existential nihilism? I've noticed a tendency towards downbeat/bittersweet endings too. Is it because they were nuked and lost The War.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
Stuff like constantly hunting down and killing God in jRPGs

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
they hate themselves and just pray for death instead of making any kind of changes to their national culture.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

archerb posted:

Mahayana Buddhism treats godhood as a job. Shinto doesn't have a supreme deity equivalent. Those are the majority religions in Japan and Japanese cultures.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

archerb posted:

because fighting god's and other divine beings doesn't happen in western rpgs

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
Western RPGs are about slaying a dragon and taking its gold :colbert:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Oh boy! Now I can post my gallery of humorous Evangelion images.

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
^nice.

re: J-existentialism, maybe it's just the stuff I end up coming across, lol

archerb fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 14, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

archerb posted:

Why do the Japanese fill their nerdy pop-culture stuff with existential nihilism? I've noticed a tendency towards downbeat/bittersweet endings too. Is it because they were nuked and lost The War.

um idk I mean evangelion is literally about depression, that's all it's about

it's about a person going through depression. The things that the main characters do and think are all different facets of what a person thinks and feels when they go through depression, in various forms or w/e. Evangelionisn't about giant robots fighting monsters, it's about going through depression. The christian imagery is there because it looks cool. The giant robot fights are there because they look cool. The poo poo about depression is there because it's meaningful.

I enjoyed gurren lagann but it didn't connect with me on as personal of a level as evangelion did because I did not go through the same trials and tribulations as the main character, whereas I did with shinji. Now you might say "lol you didnt fight giant rmonsters in a giant robot" but like I said in the OP what "piloting an eva" really means is "living life".

I think also you mkight find that most 'classic' pieces of literature and art are pretty fuckin downbeat and "bittersweet" all across the world. This is because life is pretty fuckin downbeat and bitter sweet and art is a way that people try and "imitate" reality or how they try and express themselves and so therefore yes you will get sad poo poo in good pieces of art that many people can connect with because life sucks in a pretty general sense.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SHISHKABOB posted:

um idk I mean evangelion is literally about depression, that's all it's about

it's about a person going through depression. The things that the main characters do and think are all different facets of what a person thinks and feels when they go through depression, in various forms or w/e. Evangelionisn't about giant robots fighting monsters, it's about going through depression. The christian imagery is there because it looks cool. The giant robot fights are there because they look cool. The poo poo about depression is there because it's meaningful.

I enjoyed gurren lagann but it didn't connect with me on as personal of a level as evangelion did because I did not go through the same trials and tribulations as the main character, whereas I did with shinji. Now you might say "lol you didnt fight giant rmonsters in a giant robot" but like I said in the OP what "piloting an eva" really means is "living life".

I think also you mkight find that most 'classic' pieces of literature and art are pretty fuckin downbeat and "bittersweet" all across the world. This is because life is pretty fuckin downbeat and bitter sweet and art is a way that people try and "imitate" reality or how they try and express themselves and so therefore yes you will get sad poo poo in good pieces of art that many people can connect with because life sucks in a pretty general sense.

thanks, we already got that you've got depression, no need to repeat it one billion times

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Effectronica posted:

thanks, we already got that you've got depression, no need to repeat it one billion times

he's probably depressed because that is his only defining feature in life.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
duh

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
my depression is a work of art

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Libelous Slander posted:

I'm a thread making GBS threads human being butt dick.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Parallax Scroll posted:

the giant robots were the only good part though

there are no robots in evangelion

except JET ALONE :japan:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TOILETLORD posted:

he's probably depressed because that is his only defining feature in life.

Wait that's a bit circular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

What is this? Some sort of anime troll??

No this is not a troll.

For those of you not familiar with the Neon Genesis Evangelion property 1.) youre uncultured guttertrash 2.) its an anime franchise that includes a television series first aired in 1995, several movies, a manga, and several videogames.

The series is set in post-apocalyptic reality in which the extra-terrestrial creatures threaten the existence of humanity. These creatures known as "angels" are combated by gigantic humanoid robots known as "evas". The sci-fi setting is used largely as a symbolic conduit for Hideki-Anno's exploration of interpersonal hierarchies and the systems that support and derive from these dynamics.

The reason why I am submitting this work of art for the consideration of LF is because I feel it beautifully expresses several important yet turgid philosophical concepts that this forum may be interested in discussing.

I believe that NGE is in essence a schizoanalytic/rhizomatic interpretation of experiential systems within contemporary culture.

I believe that rather than being merely a reiteration of extant freudian/marxist/cartesian concepts, NGE is a rejection of those models and proposes "Instrumentality" as an alternative

What is instrumentality?

Instrumentality is perhaps an somewhat unfortunately selected term. It was intended by Anno as a homage to science fiction author Cordwainer Smith and his otherwise unrelated concept of the same name. Its been related to the notion of organic singularity and while that serves as a useful and not inaccurate conceptual analog I feel the overall gestalt of the theory of Instrumentality as communicated by the series is best expressed by the term I have created and popularized called "absolute collectivity"

in practical terms "instrumentality" is the dissolution of all "AT Fields" a term that will also need to be defined

Ok, what the gently caress is an AT field??

AT fields are essentially a simplification/re-appropriation of the schizo-analytic concept of a desiring machine wherein a AT field represents a non-abstract organizational force that moderates relationships. It helps to think of the mechanism as a circuit breaker, restricting and directing the flow between other components. Within the circuit though, there are countless such machines. Now Anno takes some generous liberties with this model, adapting it to his own personal perception of unconscious/semi-conscious dynamics. AT fields are portrayed in the series as force fields that separate physical entities but also unseen "barriers that paradoxically separate and connect us to each other. Which coincidentally is the function of a circuit in engineering terms.

What the gently caress does that have to do with Instrumentality?

As I said, instrumentality is the liquidation(literally) of AT fields. Hence it is absolute collectivity. A completely contiguous existence where nothing moderates inter-conscious relationships. It is an utter absence of all hierarchies and separations. Within the series it is physically represented by all life on the planet earth dissolving into an ocean of placenta.

I think that Evangelion represents the absolute zenith of anti-fascist art and is as important as the birth of cubism or post-structuralism.

Use this thread to discuss the philosophical, artistic, semiotic, post-marxist collectivist content of NGE.

Also PLEASE feel free to discuss any other topic related to anime if you feel its substantive. The feminist implications of moetics, 2dcon theory, ect.

Do not troll this thread or respond with "anime sucks". I will be reporting thread-shitters and smacktards

• Locked thread