Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I recently had this variety of apple for the first time and I must say I really enjoyed it -- may be my new favorite variety. Just wanted to share and maybe chat about apple experiences (the fruit not the company obviously).

http://sweetango.com/

"SweeTango is crisp and sweet, with a lively touch of citrus, honey and spice. This apple offers unmatched texture – perfectly crunchy and satisfyingly juicy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i have not

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
It's just another designer apple like Honey Crisp. Does it have resistance to molds and fungi? Does it take a year off between harvests?

Copley Depot posted:

"SweeTango is crisp and sweet, with a lively touch of citrus, honey and spice. This apple offers unmatched texture – perfectly crunchy and satisfyingly juicy."

Most people couldn't tell between a Red Delicious and a Fuji if you blindfolded them first.

I have very strong opinions on apples.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
jesus christ another loving apple thread in gbs. might as well start a tipping and circumcision thread while you're at it, op. christ this is going to go on and on forever

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

you could eat one and then be like "tango down"

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

yes or no, maybe. cant remember sorry op

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013

Schwza posted:

Most people couldn't tell between a Red Delicious and a Fuji if you blindfolded them first.

i find that hard to believe, Red Delicious taste like cardboard soaked in apple juice

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

apple talk, braeburns down the market are always good, and mega cheap - recommended.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

YourHealthyColon posted:

i find that hard to believe, Red Delicious taste like cardboard soaked in apple juice

This is an accurate assessment of the taste of Red Delicious. But in my experience people do not know how to describe the flavor of apples and when they say they want something sour or sweet they actually have no idea what they are talking about and their minds explode when you give them a sweet green apple.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
ive only had wang dang sweet poontango apples

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Schwza posted:

This is an accurate assessment of the taste of Red Delicious. But in my experience people do not know how to describe the flavor of apples and when they say they want something sour or sweet they actually have no idea what they are talking about and their minds explode when you give them a sweet green apple.

Ok. So, what apple varieties do you recommend?

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Schwza posted:

please describe apple flavors to me. i like fruit

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

yes they were invented here

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I have tried SweeTango apples and they are pretty good. I like Honeycrisp and Pink Lady better though.

My big thing with apples is that they have to be crisp and not mushy. So far the crispest varieties that I've found are Honeycrisp, Pink Lady / Cripps Pink, SweeTango and Ambrosia.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
if you want good apples go for as local as possible and research the ones that are easy to cultivate. they're usually better quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

Copley Depot posted:

Ok. So, what apple varieties do you recommend?

It really is a regional thing as apples grow differently in different climates. I live in Ohio so growing Granny Smith, Pink Ladys, etc. is kind of out of the question because they require a warmer climate to ripen properly. Not to say they don't grow, but when you are out picking unripe apples in late November because you don't want them to freeze you might as well call it a loss and plant something that is designed for the climate.

Norton posted:

please describe apple flavors to me. i like fruit
Sweet isn't a terrible way to describe a Gala or a Red Delicious but I feel that describing a Honey Crisp as sweet is wrong. An HC is tangy and crispy whereas a Red Delicious is sweet and hard. I've found that when someone comes in looking for a sweet apple they almost always want tangy and people who want a sour apple want something that is actually tart.

The best thing to do is to go to your local orchard during pick your own season and just try as many different varieties available. Don't get discouraged if you go in September and the only apple you recognize is Gala as there are plenty of other varieties that might not be as popular but are still quite tasty. Octobers varieties will be more varied and is the ideal time for someone who is just looking to get a few pounds of different apples to go pick.

Saying all that, Macoun is the correct answer to the best apple. It is a parent of Honey Crisp and just a superior apple.

• Locked thread