Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mafia is a party game that can be played in a group or online. The premise is that a group of townsfolk (the good guys) try to discover and root out the Mafia menace hiding amongst them. The game has day and night phases: During the day everyone attempts to discover who the Mafia are, and vote to eliminate them (execution). During the night discussion is halted and the Mafia choose someone to kill. The game ends when either the Mafia have control of the town or every Mafia member is dead.

For this game we will be playing an extended F11. This means I will role a genuine 4 sided die and based on the result I'll pick one of the following setups:

Each one has an equal chance of happening. There will not be any roles that are not listed here. If you're unfamiliar with the roles, I've included links to the relevant articles explaining each role.

Action Resolution
Roleblocks completely stop the target's role from happening. If recipient had an action, they will be informed that it was not successful. If the Town BP is roleblocked, they aren't considered BP that night but they will not be informed. The Roleblocker can also perform the night kill.

Regarding all other actions, no target will be informed the actions were used on them, although the scum kill target can probably guess.

The Doctor cannot self protect or target the same player on consecutive nights.

Votefinder

There will be a little posting bot called votefinder who counts your votes. Don't mind him, he's just here to help. To make sure it reads your votes properly use the bold tags (control-b will get them to pop up) and put two pound signs, then write vote and who you're voting for. It will look like this:

quote:

##vote MMM

RULES

• No editing your posts.
  • No talking OOT unless you are able to do so.
  • Don't post your role PM.
  • Don't spectator-post.
  • Don't post after hammers.
  • Don't post after dying.
  • Don't encrypt your posts, make Toxx clauses, or play Truth or Dare.
  • Don't lurk. I will tell you if I don't think you're posting enough.
  • Don't go against the spirit of the game. The spirit of the game is inviting and fun.
  • :sun: Be nice! :sun:
  • :chillpill: Remember it's just a game :chillpill:

1. Allen Wren
  2. Anias
  3. AtrociousToaster
  4. blacknyte
  5. Dragonatrix
  6. Epsilon Plus
  7. Fast Luck
  8. Fathis Munk
  9. Gabriel Pope
  10. HiipFire
  11. Kerro
  12. Pez
  13. The Carpet Shark

Resources:
The Mafia Wiki Info about mafia on Something Awful
The Mafia Discussion Thread The central hub of our great community
The New Game Announcement Thread The place to be if you want to hear about upcoming games without reading a lot of bullshit

Older Games:
Bread Mafia 1 - Where it all began
Bread Mafia 2A - The sister game to this one
Bread Mafia 3 - lovely veterans that tried to ruin your fun

Beard Mafia - A pale imitation of the real thing imo

Game Updates:

~

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Role PMs:

Vanilla Town posted:

You are BLAND and BREAD ALIGNED. You're on the good side but you have no special powers

Cop posted:

You are a BREAD ALIGNED COP. You're on the good side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can INVESTIGATE a player and you will find out if they are BREAD or BUTTER

Doctor posted:

You are a BREAD ALIGNED DOCTOR. You're on the good side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can PROTECT a player and they cannot be KILLED that night.

Mafia Goon posted:

You are BLAND and BUTTER ALIGNED. You're on the bad side but you have no special powers. Your BUTTER BUDS are _______ and every NIGHT the THREE of you can pick one player to KILL.

Mafia Roleblocker posted:

You are a BUTTER ALIGNED ROLEBLOCKER. You're on the bad side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can BLOCK one player and they will be unable to do their regular action. You BUTTER BUDS are _______ and every NIGHT the THREE of you can pick one player to KILL.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 14, 2014

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Alright. I'm going to send out the PMs I can right now but I'm going to close the thread and the forbid out of thread communication until the game starts which will be when forums poster :siren:BLACKNYTE:siren: opens up his PM box.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If blacknyte doesn't show up and open their PM box before the end of day one I'll replace them but I think it's unfair to the rest of you to keep this thread closed while we're waiting.

The game is afoot.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
hey guys
how are things

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:
Just fine and dandy. How has your day been going, HiipFire?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

HiipFire posted:

hey guys
how are things

Pretty dull here, sounds like some HIGH OCTANE MAFIA ACTION is exactly what this day needs

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I am ready for some mafia. Can I vote blacknyte if he's not in the thread yet?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Aw yeaaah, second forums game, first SA mafia, LET'S DO THIS.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kerro posted:

I am ready for some mafia. Can I vote blacknyte if he's not in the thread yet?

You can vote for any player on the playerlist.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

hey new mafia buddies, how's it going?

First time playing mafia or any forums game, please be gentle :)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

AtrociousToaster posted:

hey new mafia buddies, how's it going?

First time playing mafia or any forums game, please be gentle :)

I bet he's lying. We should kill him first :ese:

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Fathis Munk posted:

I bet he's lying. We should kill him first :ese:

Weed out the weak ones.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Hey now, that's not what I meant by gentle.

So anywho how does this part work? We just chitchat and try to guess who's butter scum while we wait around for a deadline?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I think so ? Then again the games has not officially started as long as the missing dude does not turn up/gets booted if I understood all this correctly.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hello loaves, hello slices, goodbye butter.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I'm pretty sure MMM meant we're just gonna start playing without him and hope he turns up, and replace him if not?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fathis Munk posted:

I think so ? Then again the games has not officially started as long as the missing dude does not turn up/gets booted if I understood all this correctly.
The game has started because the people got impatient and threatened to "rise" up against the the mold. I mean mod, ha!

Blacknyte is just not here for the start of the game. I wouldn't kill him right away, though, because if he continues to not show up, he may be replaced and it doesn't make sense to kill him for not posting when a replacement may be about to pop in and start posting.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Apologies for being vague. The game has started. Your deadline will be on saturday, 10pm est. If Blacknyte does not show up by then I will put a replacement in.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Fast Luck posted:

The game has started because the people got impatient and threatened to "rise" up against the the mold. I mean mod, ha!

Blacknyte is just not here for the start of the game. I wouldn't kill him right away, though, because if he continues to not show up, he may be replaced and it doesn't make sense to kill him for not posting when a replacement may be about to pop in and start posting.

Hell yeah let's get murdering investigating.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

AtrociousToaster posted:

So anywho how does this part work? We just chitchat and try to guess who's butter scum while we wait around for a deadline?

Pretty much! I know D1 is often dismissed as useless but from what I've seen there can actually be some good clues for later if people are chatty enough.

Anyway, I'm going out for dinner now so I will be back to chat you guys up later tonight! Good luck, friends.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

So, does anyone just want to come out and admit to being butter? Might be a good idea, if you want to save Kerro.

##vote Kerro

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
this is BREADfia no place for toast here or the making thereof!

##vote AtrociousToaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrtl41oZxOA

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hmmm, what are the votes currently at? Can we get a votefinder in here?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Agreed, toast sounds like something that is trying to be bread but really isn't.

##vote AtrociousToaster

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Look at Dragonatrix trying to distract from the growing Kerro lynch party. And Kerro is jumping right on it. Those two think they have us all figured out, but we're too smart for that, right?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Also here are the current votes:

Votee: Voters

AtrociousToaster: Dragonatrix, Kerro

Kerro: A dumb bad person

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Hey, toast is just another form of bread, it's basically just bread evolved. We're supposed to be going after butter here, not attacking other kinds of bread just for being different.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'll give you a vote finder tonight.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I HAVE A DREAM

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ok, I know the first day isn't 100% random but right now until we get some more discussion it might as well be. So I asked a RNG to pick out the scum and it came back with Anias, Blacknyte, and Carpet Shark. Buuut Anias's number came up 4 times in a row so I think it's trying to tell me something.

##vote Anias

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, like most people say, day one's a crapshoot. I'm just going to chill on the counter for now.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Guys what do you think of my reads so far:

Allen Wren - Has a cool bird in his name, he can stay
Anias - Sounds similar to 'annihilate'. Very foreboding. Tell me Anias, are you going to annihilate town, or scum?
Atrocious Toaster - Cool
Blacknyte - This is the name of a nerd game store my nerd brother likes but since this person isn't here yet I'll let it slide. This time.
Dragonatrix - The Dragon Matrix is inherently trustworthy.
Epsilon plus - I hate that book; definitely scum
Fathis Munk - Fathis Munk is a bad anagram of Math is Funk, a sentiment I can get behind. You can stay.
Gabriel Pope - drat, that's the name of an angel and the Pope, can't vote for him.
Pez - I think this stands on it's own

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I was actually serious when I voted Kerro.

You notice Kerro asked early on about lynching blacknyte (ie, was looking for a scapegoat for D1 early) then promptly jumped on the Atrocious Toaster vote. Being highly survival-oriented is a scum trait.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Fast Luck posted:

I was actually serious when I voted Kerro.

You notice Kerro asked early on about lynching blacknyte (ie, was looking for a scapegoat for D1 early) then promptly jumped on the Atrocious Toaster vote. Being highly survival-oriented is a scum trait.

:rolleyes:

I think you are looking too deeply into this. Let's let the dust settle and get our jokevotes out.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Oh hey, the thread opened when I wasn't looking. I have no idea what Carpet Shark meant by "this stands on its own" by my name. Maybe that breads are carbs and so is sugar and Pez is sugar so that makes me bread.

I've never played before so I have no clue who to vote for yet. I'll follow the mob mentality for now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Epsilon Plus posted:

:rolleyes:

I think you are looking too deeply into this. Let's let the dust settle and get our jokevotes out.
The toaster post Dragonatrix made was pretty funny but usually the "joke phase" of these games is just stupid poo poo posting. I'd rather reach for a case and see how people react and get the game rolling than go through some sort of mandatory poo poo posting period.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Pez posted:

Oh hey, the thread opened when I wasn't looking. I have no idea what Carpet Shark meant by "this stands on its own" by my name. Maybe that breads are carbs and so is sugar and Pez is sugar so that makes me bread.

I meant that Pez is good and therefore you are town.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

The toaster post Dragonatrix made was pretty funny but usually the "joke phase" of these games is just stupid poo poo posting. I'd rather reach for a case and see how people react and get the game rolling than go through some sort of mandatory poo poo posting period.

Eh, gotta get the ball rolling somehow. When you're shooting blindly it doesn't really matter what your justification is, might as well goof around a little bit while you wait to gather material. I mean, I prefer that people keep it halfway relevant but when you get down to it trying to build a first-post case isn't really likely to contribute a lot more than random shitposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well, ideally, if you actually start making some shallow case on someone you might get responses and reactions to those responses and the game can start generating real content.

• Locked thread