Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:
Just fine and dandy. How has your day been going, HiipFire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Fathis Munk posted:

I bet he's lying. We should kill him first :ese:

Weed out the weak ones.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

AtrociousToaster posted:

So anywho how does this part work? We just chitchat and try to guess who's butter scum while we wait around for a deadline?

Pretty much! I know D1 is often dismissed as useless but from what I've seen there can actually be some good clues for later if people are chatty enough.

Anyway, I'm going out for dinner now so I will be back to chat you guys up later tonight! Good luck, friends.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Guys what do you think of my reads so far:

Allen Wren - Has a cool bird in his name, he can stay
Anias - Sounds similar to 'annihilate'. Very foreboding. Tell me Anias, are you going to annihilate town, or scum?
Atrocious Toaster - Cool
Blacknyte - This is the name of a nerd game store my nerd brother likes but since this person isn't here yet I'll let it slide. This time.
Dragonatrix - The Dragon Matrix is inherently trustworthy.
Epsilon plus - I hate that book; definitely scum
Fathis Munk - Fathis Munk is a bad anagram of Math is Funk, a sentiment I can get behind. You can stay.
Gabriel Pope - drat, that's the name of an angel and the Pope, can't vote for him.
Pez - I think this stands on it's own

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Pez posted:

Oh hey, the thread opened when I wasn't looking. I have no idea what Carpet Shark meant by "this stands on its own" by my name. Maybe that breads are carbs and so is sugar and Pez is sugar so that makes me bread.

I meant that Pez is good and therefore you are town.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

I'm not comfortable with voting Kerro, since they've said barely anything and I'm not seeing anything particularly scummy in what they've done yet. To me their posts just read as jokes, especially since they were posted so early on. What does worry me is that we already have four votes on them and they've said barely anything, so it would be good if they jumped in here and spoke up!

Yo, Kerro, how do you feel about these people voting you?

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

blacknyte continually asking for pointers on how to avoid suspicion has not done much to clear his name after his first couple of fishy votes.

blacknyte posted:

Could someone please explain these scum slips to me? I don't see what anyone is talking about.

Is this what you're talking about, Gabe Pope? I think it's a bit disingenuous to make that initial post without quoting blacknyte 'asking for pointers'. To clarify, I'm assuming you are arguing that he secretly wanted people to tell him what could possibly constitute a scumslip so that he wouldn't make those same mistakes in the future. It seems far-fetched to me.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

How do you feel about them? You've been posting but haven't really commented on anyone.

Fathis Munk's making me wary. I know the 'I'm new here and I don't know what I'm doing!' feeling from last game I played so I have sympathy, but at the same time they haven't even been trying to contribute and they're scoffing at the people actually making reads. It could be that the people making reads are trying to appear town by taking the game seriously (which I will talk about in a moment), as Fathis implied here:

Fathis Munk posted:

Also being totally analytical about scum like Fast Luck for example strikes me as a good strategy to get people to vote for other people. Especially amongst easily influenced newbies.

But it could just as easily be that the scum players are trying to derail serious discussion about scum by goofing around and telling people they are being 'paranoid'! Fathis proclaimed themselves a poo poo-poster but I think it's a bit much to expect to ride through the game without people questioning you. Also I know these are jokes but there's been a fair few of them:

Fathis Munk posted:

Why can't we all just be town and live in peace and harmony? I launch an appeal to the scum and say : come forward, surrender your weapons and become a part of our idyllic community.

Fathis Munk posted:

Maybe all scum should just commit suicide right now, save us some time.

Overall I'm getting some scum vibes.

As for Fast Luck, I think their posting has been genuine and pretty solid in terms of explanation for their actions. I am not dismissing Fathis's concerns out of hand, though (I wanted to point out that their tactics could also be scummy). Fast Luck could be going 'totally analytical' in order to appear nice and towny, especially since it would be very easy to make an early vote like his on Kerro. It might gain traction on a difficult day like D1 but it could still easily be redacted later without incriminating him. At the same time it may have just been a way to get things rolling. I've got my eyes on Fast Luck but I wouldn't feel comfortable voting his way at the moment.

Dragonatrix has only made a few posts and they're all either jokes or technical clarifications, so no read there. Kerro seems to think Dragonatrix might be scummy because they voted for him after people started placing serious votes but I don't think everyone slides into the nitty-gritty of the game at the same time so I'm not reading anything into that.

And as for you, Gabriel Pope! I feel like the justifications for your scum leanings have indeed been weak and I feel like it's a result of minimal explanation. You could be scum who's having difficulty gathering substantial material to paint a town player as scummy, or you could be town who is just not justifying their leanings as much as they could. If the latter is the case my advice would be to explain your thought process a little more. Even if you feel that some of your thoughts leading to who might be scummy are irrelevant or unrefined, it helps give everyone a little more insight!

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

My suspicions have been weak because we're still barely out of joke phase and I don't really have much conviction in them, but I post them anyways because I want to get discussion going and provoke some reactions. Which is part of the reason that I haven't been explaining them thoroughly--I didn't want to come out and say "I think this case on Kerro is obviously bullshit because it's based on 3 jokeposts from page 1, but I want to see who jumps on it and who defends him once he has a couple votes on him", because that defeats the purpose.

Yeah, I understand not wanting to explain your thoughts too much in case you give scum material. Sometimes I worry about discussing why I feel someone's actions are town, just in case they are actually scum and I've given them and easy excuse to jump onto. But thank you for explaining your thoughts, I found it very helpful.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Allen Wren posted:

Of course, Gabriel is also the person who's going through everyone's posts piece by piece (while ignoring the fact that I responded to the posts I did because they were the most recent when I woke up) and also calls other people humorless nerds. Look in the mirror, son.

This whole thing is the kind of attitude that is inverse to catching scum. Going through people's posts is a good thing for town. Even if a scum player is picking out weird things to make a case, that is helpful to town because figuring out the motivations of the poster also helps town catch scum.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Oh God, I'm so sorry guys, I thought the deadline was an hour later than it was.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

Carpet Shark and Kerro showing up just after we'd missed the deadline and no lynched is kind of scummy.

I've only ever managed to vote by the deadline once in my short mafia career because I'm kind of a terrible person. I will try very hard for the next one, I will even set alarms!

Allen Wren posted:

Go ahead and vote me, whatever. If I start voting at people, I'm scum. If I tell people to not vote, I'm scum. If I think someone is scum, I'm scum.

Fathis Munk posted:

I still love how my posting put me on the suspect list and then my not posting put me even higher on it :allears: Maybe I'll scumhunt tomorrow morining, it's getting too late to think about internet games over here. Though tbh it looks like a lot of you have made your mind up and are going to lynch innocent ol' Fathis so whatever I guess :shrug:

I don't know how all you newest of newbie guys are actually feeling right now (I mean, you could just be pulling a scum ploy), but I get that it is hard playing your first game! My last game people were telling me I shouldn't care if I was accused of being scum because a town player would be focused on catching scum, not being defensive. I don't think that's a great thing to say to brand new players who are probably confused as to what the hell to do, but I think I get the general sentiment now. This game is a game of information that doesn't require one player to survive to the end to be an important part of winning! Focusing on what you can contribute to catching scum over trying to prove something that can't be proven (i.e. that you are town) is the best thing you can do.

I heard someone say something on this topic that really helped me feel clearer about how to play: If you're town and the town votes you out, that's on the town, not you. Don't feel bad that people are casing you, everyone is suspicious of everyone, and if we kill town players off then we haven't done our job (i.e. killed scum). Your job is to contribute what you can to help the town. That way your town buds have more to go off of later, and if they win the game you win with them!

Anyway, I hope this wasn't patronizing, I'm just worried people are feeling frustrated right now. I will post actual game-oriented stuff in a little bit.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

I don't think it's a scum ploy from Allen. I don't see a first time ever player deciding to fake hating the game and self-voting as a scum ploy.

It's true, I was trying to make the post general so that anyone reading it and feeling frustrated might gain a little confidence (I used quotes by Fathis and Allen because they seem the most put-out rn), but I also wanted to recognize that there's always the possibility people could be playing us like a fiddle.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Sorry I've been away guys, I got bored last night and never posted. I'll be around all night tonight.

There are so many lurkers in this game, and to be honest I'm pretty lost here. Here are some of my thoughts right now. I've bolded the names of the people I'm talking about just to make this easier to read.

I have to say that I never really felt like Dragonatrix was particularly scummy so it is weird to me that people were pointing them out. A lot of players were only tossing in a few posts at the time so it kind of seems like people who were pointing out Dragonatrix in particular were looking to make up viable reasons to frame them. I think it was blacknyte who originally voted this way though, and all of blacknyte's votes have been strange.

Speaking of blacknyte, they're pretty much a puzzle I can't even begin to solve. Apparently they only signed up to the forums like a week ago, but they've also mentioned hearing mafia vets talk about poo poo, so I truly have no idea what the extent of their understanding of this game is.

I didn't want to say this earlier because I know there's a rule that you shouldn't talk about ongoing games, but the game Hiipfire was in just ended and their posting looked exactly as it does now, i.e. there's not a lot of it and they aren't invested in the game. I see no indication they're scum, just someone who signs up for games without playing?? why tho

Fast Luck's been a big contributor and everything they've said has made sense to me, but I was reading their post history and one thing stood out. At some point Fast Luck lists Dragonatrix as one of the people he feels is scummy. Then much later when Gabriel brings up an opinion on Dragonatrix Fast Luck quotes it and then votes Dragonatrix:

Gabriel Pope posted:

Note that I still think Dragonatrix is scummy (even moreso than Fathis in my book) and I am not impressed by his jumping on the Fathis bandwagon, and yes, his vote on Kerro is pretty troubling because sticking a 4th vote on someone as a jokevote and then disappearing is really sketchy, but the fact that he was being facetious is not by itself evidence that he's scum. Yet that's the only thing that you keep harping on as justification for your vote.

Fast Luck posted:

Dragonatrix is currently my strongest feeling also.

##vote Dragonatrix

But he didn't give his own justification here. It's possible he could have been putting Dragonatrix on his suspected scum list so that he had less explaining to do later (alternatively he could have just bumped Dragonatrix up the list, I know). It just feels a bit weird to me.

I've cooled a bit on Fathis. The strangest thing they've done at the moment is point out Fast Luck as possible scum a few time, and the reason I find it strange is how it was done. It was always in a sort of 'sideline' way. Fathis, why do you feel Fast Luck is scummy? It's okay to throw about accusations or elaborate on why you feel something, we may have missed something you didn't, or we may view people's motivations differently than you do.

Gabriel Pope seems town to me at the moment. It's true that he's been hopping all over the place like a box of jumping beans in terms of his scum reads and he tends to get weird fixations on certain people but it seems like he's just trying to figure out what to do. A strange thing he did though was mention Dragonatrix moving lower on his scum list because they've been posting more in the past while, but Dragonatrix has only made one more post.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm off of blacknyte now that his odd posting/voting has been accounted for, I haven't written off Allen yet but he's a lot less pressing now that he's seemingly gone AWOL, and now that Dragonatrix is participating more and being helpful my suspicions have eased up.

So my list is pretty much down to Fathis at this point anyhow. I just felt bad because he seemed to want to participate and have a good time playing Mafia.

The rest of this seems genuine though. I also felt bad about possibly making it harder for Fathis to enjoy the game so I can understand easing off the pressure. We should also keep in mind though that we're all newbies and we've got to vote out someone, so don't feel too bad if you really feel someone is scum! But like I said, I'm less sure about Fathis now. I'd like to hear from them though!

I'm keeping an eye on Pez. They seemed super town to me but then I began to wonder if they were being so inconspicuous for a reason. Last game I played I made the mistake of brushing off one player as completely town and never really looking harder at them so I read through again. They've been dropping in fairly consistently but they have been staying out of everyone's way. I feel like the best scum move to make when you aren't confident in your ability to make cases and come across as town would be to contribute things, but keep it minimal. That way people acknowledge you're playing the game but it's harder to pick through what you've said and call you out on poo poo. Pez's tone has also been very light-hearted which helps keep things non-confrontational. And I feel like if you rolled scum you'd want to be keeping tabs on the game, which would be another reason for their relatively decent presence.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts and I am eager to hear what your guys' are.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

The Carpet Shark posted:

Sorry I've been away guys, I got bored last night and never posted. I'll be around all night tonight.

I've been writing this for a while, 'all night' was a lot longer back then. :cheeky:

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

blacknyte posted:

I have read quite a few mafia games and thought I could jump into this game and immediately be productive. It's much more difficult actually playing the game than it is yelling at the monitor while spectating games.

This is true indeed.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

my dragonatrix vote was relatively early in the new day. i had an unsupported hunch that dragon could be scum, and gabe was saying dragon could be scum too, so i thought i'd throw a vote behind it and see if anything interesting happened. nothing really did

I've seen many people not justify early votes (and I tend to just not vote at all early on) so fair enough. You're definitely active enough that we don't have to worry about you 'accidentally' leaving it there.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Kerro posted:

I'm not quite sure what seems weird about this? I could be wrong, but Fast Luck is the person I feel most certain is town at the moment. Is it just that he seems to have gone from seeing Dragonatrix as 'scummy' to his strongest read without any apparent process in thread about it?

I try not to be 'certain' anyone is town which is why I gather stuff that may seem like small potatoes but strikes me as odd or having a motivation I don't understand. You never know what could be useful! But yeah, it was that there was no process that we could see.

Kerro posted:

I'm also not quite sure what to make of the reactions to Allen and Fathis. Both of them have done a 'welp, vote for me then I can't win' defeatist kinda thing, and in both cases people have backed off them (less so in Fathis' case but you mention it) and I want to know if people are backing off because they think that these players are not scum, or because they feel bad about it. I know I get super-frustrated when I get cased for what feels to me like no good reason and I don't like doing that to someone else, but it also shouldn't get in the way of voting for people who are acting scummy.

Throwing an emotional fit about people voting you out would be a super lame thing to do as scum. I guess I just can't see scum doing it without feeling really cheap, which is why I stopped looking Allen's way. This may just me ascribing my own feelings to other players though.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

blacknyte posted:

If you look at how discussion flowed yesterday, Dragonatrix was always right at the cusp of being voted. Fathis was pushed while Dragonatrix votes went into hiding.

I think scum, Dragonatrix included, pushed Fathis discussion and votes. Gabriel's death gives this theory a bit more credence because Gabriel would have wanted Dragonatrix lynched today I believe. If you look at page 7, a lot of people talked about Dragonatrix and the discussion did not actually go anywhere.

For example, this looks like distancing on Dragonatrix:

How can it be distancing if I've said from the beginning 'Nah, I don't feel Dragonatrix is scum'? What is there to distance myself from?

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Oh poo poo, I just realized something but I don't think I can explain it.

##voteDragonatrix

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Kerro posted:

You're aware this is your very first vote of the entire game, right?

Yep.

Epsilon Plus posted:

... can you at least attempt, or is this some kind of Secret Plan Above Mortal Ken?

Oh I will definitely attempt, I've just been commuting literally since I made that last post.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

No, it's not. (It didn't count lol)

?

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Is it because I didn't put a space?

##vote Dragonatrix

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Okay if you're going to vote me out please do not do what you guys did yesterday and vote me off at like 7:00pm. Trust me, I've got stuff to say and if I die I want to have given you guys some stuff to work off of.

Anyway, I haven't been around because I had people over from like 3:30 yesterday until 9:30. I checked in at some point to see that you guys voted pretty early and after the hammer vote you're not actually even supposed to talk so I was like 'well, that's that'.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

blacknyte posted:

One person is voting you.

And yet a few people have expressed an interest and you guys voted early last time, all I'm saying is that I would like to not be band-wagonned upon just yet. But hey blacknyte, while we are talking could you tell me about your feelings on Dragonatrix? I want to see how things line up.

Anyway here are some things that are hecka pinging my scum radar on Dragonatrix. And no, it's not because of capitalization (which I always think is a silly argument that I've seen brought up in a few games already).

Dragonatrix has played under the radar really well, which is why I thought they weren't scum until recently when I knew they were scum. I didn't think there was enough to go off of with their posts, but that's just the thing! Scum won't be completely uninvested, they need to kill town off, but often they won't stick their necks out. Dragonatrix has conveniently voted for people at all the right points to seem inconspicuous. They've also justified their points with cases, which is pretty important, but all their cases are along the lines of 'this behavior seems very town, but have you ever thought... IT ISN'T?'

Dragonatrix posted:

and yet once people started to actually take the game sort of a bit more seriously he vanished without posting for nearly 2 actual days sure weekend and stuff so maybe he has reasons for that but right now that seems moren a little weird

if it was anyone else suddenly vanishing im not sure it would be that suspicious on its own at the moment but in context it looks fairly damning

##vote fathis

Like this argument! It's really weak to say 'since everyone thinks Fathis is scum this disappearance that could normally be easily explained by a town player is probably a secret scum agenda'.

Dragonatrix posted:

Fast Luck has been really good at presenting himself in a nice, helpful pro-town way but if you look at it again, it comes off much, much more as a snake-oil salesman act. His logic and rationale is sound... in a vacuum, but we're not playing in a vacuum. Once you put it in context and look at his actions and those of others it just doesn't quite hold up as well.

##vote fluck

Notice twice Dragonatrix encourages us to look at people's behavior 'in context' to see how scummy it is. This is a bit puzzling to me because my method throughout this game is to always look at the context of people's posting in order to understand their motivations for doing something. (I think I'm pretty decent at it too, but we'll see after this game). I don't actually think there's any meaning to Dragonatrix asking us to look at things 'in context', I think it's just an easy way for them to point at someone and say 'While this may SEEM so very town, it totally isn't given the context' and push our suspicions even more towards that person without solid reasoning.

ANYWAY, I will continue in a moment but geez you guys, it takes a little while to write stuff, I am trying here!

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Dragonatrix posted:

And since I'm off to bed in like a minute or two I almost definitely won't get to post again until D3 so I'll at least put my money where my mouth is and do so. ##vote Fathis

...man that sure is a whole lot of words to say very little but "i dont think it'll happen but doesnt hurt to try"

Here's Dragon's last vote on Fathis, early and safe and with the disclaimer 'It probably won't happen but oh well'. THIS is distancing, my friends.

I'll note for posterity that Dragon later voted for Fast Luck and not Fathis and I don't have any insight there.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Agh, I'm burnt out, anyone have things to say? I will reply to things but I'm tired of reading through all these posts over and over. Still would like to talk though!

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

blacknyte posted:

One person is voting you.

Oh wow, I also completely forgot the deadline wouldn't be tonight. I am a first-class idiot.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Dragonatrix posted:

- The argument about distancing from Fathis would be a viable one considering that post was made with the potential incoming flip... if Fathis flipped scum. Since he flipped town, that argument doesn't quite hold as much ground. Distancing from someone who flips town is borderline suicide and would only work as an insane gambit if we had a reverse death miller for some bizarre reason, which we don't so...

Distancing yourself from the flip is what I meant and thought was obvious? Like I was saying you were voting Fathis but distancing yourself from the vote by saying oh well, it probably won't even go through!' because then when Fathis flipped town you'd look way better.

Dragonatrix posted:

- This is a really minor thing, yes, but I feel the need to point out that since D3 started I haven't voted for anyone (and no one's voted FLuck at all yet today for that matter!) so I don't even know what you and Black are getting at there. That's not just twisting facts, that's making them up wholesale to best fit your narrative.

I never said it was D3 though so I am confused about this point.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

One thing I thought interesting about Dragon was that I had a vote on him for I don't know how long, 2 rl days I think, and he just let it sit there without issue, but then once I moved my vote to Fathis, then he came at me with that big post. It's like he wanted to avoid an OMGUS accusation ("Oh my god, you suck" - a revenge vote against someone else putting a vote on you) so he bided his time until I changed my vote.

Well, poo poo.

I was thinking him voting Fast Luck was scummy because I feel like FLuck is town. But that's based on my general feeling of a non-Dragonatrix player, so take from it what you will.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Dragonatrix posted:

Okay, easy enough to clarify. The final point in your argument was that at the end of D2 I voted for Fathis whilst simultaneously distancing myself from it/him... and then later I switched to FLuck.

But, please, by all means, try and spin this to make it so you weren't trying to fabricate that I voted for Fluck sometime today.

Ah, well you will notice I do not mention when you did these things, just the order, and that is in fact because I got the order switched around (I was looking at your post history in order to quote). Which I apologize for, it does indeed imply something disingenuous to how you were really posting. That's definitely my bad.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Dragonatrix posted:

Once again, this is not just twisting things its actively making them up. A spontaneous 2 day disappearance is, in no way, easily twistable into a town tactic. Very much the opposite regardless of reason; just peacing out like that without notice is very much anti-town and when it comes from someone who posts frequently beforehand they become conspicuous by their absence. But, hey, nice job putting words into my mouth anyway.

I really don't see disappearing for a few days as a scum tactic, we saw Allen Wren do it after getting fed up with the game and Fathis was in much the same position. I've disappeared at points and I know I'm town so I can easily see a town player not paying attention to the game for a while, whereas I feel like scum would have more reasons to post consistently. I also personally tend to focus on things said in-game instead of whether someone was gone for a while, which I feel is especially relevant to Fathis who was posting a lot when they were here (although admittedly not scum hunting, but that's also unrelated to someone being absent for a period of time).

Fathis Munk posted:

s'okay you dudes can go on lynching me if you feel like it I'm not sure I'll have a lot of free time on my hands in the next couple days anyways :(

Fathis Munk posted:

I know my saying "Hey dudes I'm town" is highly suspicious but at the moment I really just don't have the energy/time to sift through posts with my Sherlock Holmes hat on :smith: I kinda suck because I'm letting my first game go to waste here but what are you gonna do, IRL comes first.

Since I can't quite invest the time I'd like to scum hunting at the moment all I can do is try and prevent you to lynch town (i.e. me).

^^^"I'm busy in real life" is something town players say all the time. I don't claim it's a town 'tactic' to disappear from a game for a while but I am saying that I don't buy arguments about how someone being away for a while makes them scummy.

But the argument about absences that you were making was very easy to make at the time (when everyone was targeting that player). Since I think you were aware Fathis was town I feel like it would have been easy for you to go 'posting and then NOT posting? Scummy' but that such things don't actually reveal much at all.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Dragonatrix posted:

But, please, by all means, try and spin this to make it so you weren't trying to fabricate that I voted for Fluck sometime today.

I was correct about that being your final vote on Fathis, but I'm not sure why you think I'm trying to say you voted for Fast Luck today. I was arguing under the assumption those votes were on D2 and that your final vote was for Fast Luck. How does it make me look scummy that I got mixed up, and your actual final vote was for Fathis, the town player who was killed dead?

Dragonatrix posted:

Also, if you think I really haven't stuck my neck out like a dumbass maybe you're not as good at looking over things as you think you are.

I like to think I'm good at looking at motivations and the context of actions but I frequently overlook things. My apologies, it looks like you did stick your neck out here. Bold move, scum. :banjo:

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Epsilon Plus posted:

which is coming across as overly panicky and dripping with concern. Hint: we're not losing. The entire town wins as a unit when we can get the scum. We have a 50/50 on getting a cop, which will nearly guarantee a townie win assuming they investigate right. Basically instead of scumhunting, you're just publicly fretting, and I don't like it.

##vote Pez

The cop can't outright say they are a cop or they'll get night-killed

so they just have to rely on the town believing their reads

THE TOWN MIGHT NOT BELIEVE THEIR READS THO

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Epsilon Plus posted:

which is coming across as overly panicky and dripping with concern. Hint: we're not losing. The entire town wins as a unit when we can get the scum. We have a 50/50 on getting a cop, which will nearly guarantee a townie win assuming they investigate right. Basically instead of scumhunting, you're just publicly fretting, and I don't like it.

##vote Pez

Actually, I'm seeing a reason to panic right now. Everyone who has died has been town. That's not good. It doesn't matter if we all win as a unit if we don't WIN. If scum wins we'll all lose as a unit and I'm not impressed with how we've been doing so far.

And like I said, that thing about the cop is bad logic, the cop can figure out who's scum for sure but they can't make people vote that way because the only way to put some credibility behind their words is to cop-claim and that's SUPER DANGEROUS.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

ugh, this seems fake as h*ck, a real cop would never post like that

wow, way to go

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Epsilon Plus posted:

Just because you're not following it doesn't mean it's bad logic.

We currently have 9 players. Let's assume we have a cop. The cop has investigated every night and have confirmed one VT and one scum. Cop isn't lynched, night three comes, cop investigates and finds another scum. Cop now knows 2/3 scum and claims their role with their investigations. VT identified by cop backs up cop's call and votes scum. Only two are needed to hammer now out of a remaining 5 - not difficult if, for example, suspicion is already on a (cop-claimed) scum or if the cop has been breadcrumbing. If that player is lynched as scum, the town now knows the other scum investigation is valid - even if the cop dies the next night, the town can descend upon the other scum and then work on finding the remaining scum themselves.

Basically if the cop claims with known scum, it's almost guaranteed to extent the game a day. Even if the cop hasn't found scum, stating that 3 players are town will probably cause them to engage a voting block of some kind, making finding scum somewhat easier.

It is not perfect, but it is functional.

Alright, great, sounds good. I don't blame Pez for getting anxious though because it would be even better if we could actually manage to lynch some scum instead of relying on this scenario which could easily be derailed to carry us through.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

hypothetically, let's say you investigated dragon during the night and got a scum result. why would you OPEN the new day with "dragonatrix is scum for reasons i cant tell you." why would you OPEN the day that way. like, im not saying you cant be a real cop but if you are that's gotta be the wrong way to open a case against someone, you ought to start with a regular case or some casual "isn't dragonatrix actually quite suspicious" thing and only pull out the sort of remark you made if no one believes you and the vote doesn't develop in that direction. you keep your info to yourself and leave breadcrumbs, so that if you do die and flip cop, people can look back at the breadcrumbs and then find who you copped as scum.

writing in all caps TOWN PLEASE BELIEVE THE COP is, like, such a bizarre middle ground between claiming cop and not that it juts doens't work, for me.

FLuck you expect too much from someone new and bad.

Anyway, I feel like I've royally screwed this game up but to focus on something unrelated to how garbage I am, Epsilon was weirding me out a bit too. I don't know, at least one of the lurkier people has got to be a scum. I think I'll re-read them at this point.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Yeah, I really don't think we can say we're 'winning' in any sense, since we haven't caught a single scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Epsilon Plus posted:

Well we ain't gonna win poo poo unless ya'll calm down.

lmao, fair enough

• Locked thread