Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
I grew up deep in the Ozarks. Had a lot of my childhood out in a small nowhere town called Lenox. Then I moved to small town called Salem in my High School years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'm moving to Rolla. Any tips?

1) Lots of international students mixed with all the local hillbillies in the area. It really is a strange dichotomy.
2) Be prepared to make a lot of trips to St. Louis. There are no bars/good theaters here, or anything fun in general.
3) Rent is cheap at least.
4) Beware of the cargo cult wineries, as mentioned above.

Guy Fleegman posted:

Missourians for the most part have a very friendly, neighborly facade but deep down we all carry a hidden anger that can explode at any time.

This.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
Hi. I live in Columbia, but have also lived in KC. Got arrested in St. Louis once. So yeah, I guess you could say I know Missouri.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
Rolla is kind of cool. The local college there is a crazy good engineering school. They have their own coal plant that powers the school and I believe they have a small nuclear reactor on site.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I have actually seen Rolla get poo poo on more than any other town on SA.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
QUESTION FOR THE LOCALS: Someone told me that the state name is pronounced Missoura. He grew-up in NYC and as far as I know doesn't know anyone from Missouri. It was the first I had heard of this, but he was adamant and would correct people on it. Can one of you please confirm/deny. Thanks.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That is the second worst pronunciation after "misery"

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

QUESTION FOR THE LOCALS: Someone told me that the state name is pronounced Missoura. He grew-up in NYC and as far as I know doesn't know anyone from Missouri. It was the first I had heard of this, but he was adamant and would correct people on it. Can one of you please confirm/deny. Thanks.

the only people here who pronounce it that way are old rednecks in my experience

normal ppl say mizz-ou-ree

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I've lived here most of my long, uneventful, miserable life and everyone that I know including myself pronounce it Mi-ZUR-ee.

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

I used to live in Missouri, and it was pretty lovely.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Seriously, no one says mizzura except politicians trying to sound folksy. I hear misery sometimes, and everyone pronounces Kansas City, Kansa City.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What is the other pronunciation for Kansas City?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You could say Kansas, like the state, then the word City. I know it sounds weird, people don't notice until you point it out that there's supposed to be an S at the end of Kansas.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh that is how I pronounce it. I just somehow missed that you left off the s there in the previous post.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I recently moved to Fairway KS and all the Missouri people I've met seem like good folk, but I've heard that the police here profile people with Missouri license plates so maybe I've gotten it all wrong...

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

mr.capps posted:

it deserves it. the school is good and basically nothing else is.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

mr.capps posted:

The reactor is cool, but last I remember, it's pretty depressing there so try to stay happy. I also heard that they had like 1 gas station, so whenever there was a break, people leaving would have to buy gas at jacked up prices.

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

duckfarts posted:

The reactor is cool, but last I remember, it's pretty depressing there so try to stay happy. I also heard that they had like 1 gas station, so whenever there was a break, people leaving would have to buy gas at jacked up prices.

41. Rolla has 41 gas stations. 41.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

tranime scholar posted:

it deserves it. the school is good and basically nothing else is.

Yep, back in the 90s it wasn't as lovely because it had some non college related stuff going for it. But then they closed down the USGS and Briggs and Stratton and pretty much you either work at the university, hospital, or you're poor as gently caress. My mom still lives there because she's about a light year under water on a mortgage on a house that lost 50% of its value. It is so depressing. I mean south county isn't great, but gently caress. Better than Rolla.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Years ago I went scuba diving in a quarry in or around Rolla. So there's that.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
everyone who has posted in this thread has ONE HOUR to provide PROOF POSITIVE that they actually reside in MISSOURI ;siren:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

or else what

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

also what kind of proof do you want?

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax

a starwar betamax posted:

everyone who has posted in this thread has ONE HOUR to provide PROOF POSITIVE that they actually reside in MISSOURI ;siren:

I rented out my garage to a guy when I went to MU, who was probably cooking meth in there.

ninja edit: definitely

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
Proof. How about the Walmart in Salem was the 27th Walmart ever built. The only other grocer in town was Country Mart and it's local brand is Always Save which back when my poor family bought that poo poo the package was bright yellow with red print. That way you knew who the poors were.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Post your hog.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

the state's name means dudes in canoes

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i live less than five miles from the place where the obama rodeo clown was in the news awhile ago

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I NEED PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i have ate at the Wheel Inn Drive-In before it shut down

is that enough evidence

e: drat

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

I was standing in line at a Midwest Petroleum yesterday and a black person was ahead of me. Once they left the cashier leaned close and told me they've been getting a lot more of "Those People" lately. I assume they mean blacks.

For those not in the Ssouri a Midwest Petroleum is a gas station that's been buying up old Phillips 66s. They charge WAY too much for gum.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

:stare:

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Like 1.49 for a pack of extra. I can go to loving Motomart and get it for 1.19.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
peep the av

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
star war betamax taking the whole "show me" state thing a bit too seriously

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

oh poo poo. challenging the mods. we thought they were invincible but he is able to break the rules of the Gaytrix using his mind

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
show me that hog

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The one near me has a really lovely selection of gum too. Lucky for them I'm lazy and they're closest or I would go somewhere else.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

sheesh alright man here's my voting slip thingy:

heh :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the closet thing i had on hand was my student id for northwest university from last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKP8Af2kJH8

in this video you can also spot the treadmill where i did my infamous treadmill chair lift

• Locked thread