Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
"You know what this world needs? More RPG Maker games."
- No one

Ever wanted to make your own game, but felt like it was too much effort? Enter RPG Maker, a program made by our good friends from Japan to help tons of people to make Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest ripoffs completely original JRPGs. The program is well-known for its ease of use, and many games have been created with it, all ranging from the horrible to the unique, with some games not being RPGs at all.

Admit it, you've probably toyed with the program yourself at some point and probably made a lovely game with it. It's a part of life that everyone who thought about making games has been through. There is no shame in it (unless your game was really bad).

And now, today, I'm here to ask of you to unearth your shameful past: use RPG Maker. Again. Because starting from today, we will all make a game together using RPG Maker.

How is this going to work?
It's all very simple. It will work like this:
  • Only one person is going to edit the game at a time. They have one week to do anything with the game project (you can stop earlier too).
  • After their time is over, they will post in the thread asking "WHO'S NEXT?"
  • The first person in the thread that replies answering "MY TURN NOW" is going to receive a link through PM to the game project uploaded by the last person to the edit the game.
Our deadline is January 14, 2015. After that, we will cease editing the game and we will start voting on a name for the game.

What do I need to do to join this thread?
You will need to download RPG Maker VX Ace Lite, a free version of the program, and the VX Ace Runtime Package.

Why RPG Maker and not some sick engine like Unity?
RPG Maker is very simple to use, even for absolute beginners. Unity, while easier than most engines to learn, still has a bit of a learning curve.

--------------------------------

Rules:
  1. You can create your own project assets (like art, music, code, etc)
  2. You CANNOT add a name to the game project
  3. You can edit/remove anything someone else did. They don't have to know it was you!

If you have any other questions (like how do I do this thing in RPG Maker or about the thread itself), please ask in the thread.

WHO'S NEXT? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I'll make the website

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

I'll be sure to come up with amazing ideas and then fail to deliver on every single one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i'll be sure to make every single character in the game johnny fiveaces

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Endorph posted:

I will eagerly take credit for this idea.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Endorph posted:

Well there needs to be at least one Brooks Cracktackle or people won't realize it came from RPG Maker.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
:doh: I just remembered that only members with the platinum upgrade can send and receive PMs. Anyone have any alternatives to them? The reason why I thought of private messages instead of just posting a link to the game in the thread is because everyone would be able to download the game project and see it, and that's not what I had in mind.

So until we find an alternative to PMs, only platinum members will be able to contribute to the game project.

The thread will still be continuing normally, though. Just reply and say "MY TURN NOW" if you want the game project, and I'll send it to you.

So, WHO'S NEXT?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I have absolutely no experience with game design or RPG maker so I'll totally join up but not as the second person, that's way too much pressure !!

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Only if we make it steampunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
I might be down to do this, but I'm kind of busy right now so I don't think I should sign up right away. Here's a few relics of my RPG Maker days (ignore the stock sprites, I just used them so they fit properly).

Milhouse

Hip-Hops Fattest Mogul, Stank Phresh

Heads

• Locked thread