Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

Problem description:
The internet on my desktop suddenly stopped working today. A few days ago it was working fine. The desktop is connected directly via a wired ethernet connection to my Verizon Actiontec modem/router. My laptop (wireless) and NAS (wired) seem to be able to connect just fine.

When I run the windows diagnostic on the ethernet I get the error message that "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid ip configuration. When I tried running ipconfig /renew I get a message "An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

Oddly enough I just enabled the wireless card on the motherboard and that is able to get an IP address and connect to the internet. I'm wondering if the ethernet card is defective but don't know how to test that.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?

I have tried powering down and resetting both the modem/router and desktop. I have uninstalled my anti-virus and firewall (ESET Smart Security). I have run ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, all to no effect. I have tried updating the driver on the ethernet card and using a different ethernet cord.

I have gone into the ethernet properties and both ipv4 and ipv6 are set to optain an IP and DNS server automatically. Under the advanced settings it says they are DHCP Enabled.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?

Nope
--

Operating system:

Windows 8.1 64 bit

System specs:

Intel Core i5-4670K
Asus Z87 PRO LGA 1150 Motherboard
(Intel Ethenet Connection 1217-V)
(Qualcomm Atheros AR946x Wireless Network Adapter)
16 gig ram
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950
Crucial M500 SSD

Verizon FIOS with Actiontec MI424WR Rev I router

USA

I have Googled and read the FAQ:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Have you tried a different port on the router? If so and the result is the same, then it may well be that the ethernet controller did kick out. It's not unheard of for chips to gain flaws over time - happens all the time with system memory and flash memory, for example.

Asus will take the motherboard back under warranty if you want it to work, and you'd just be out shipping it to them. But it might be less hassle just to buy a new ethernet adapter and stop using the on-board one.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
I've had ports go bad on my ISP supplied router before. I had to request a new one after the 2nd port on it died so it's worth trying a different router port. Also if you or a friend has another comp you know is ok, use that to test on the same port/cable your present comp is having problems with.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Might be worth checking to see if your DHCP Client service is running on your PC as well.

Start > Run > services.msc

Scroll down to DHCP Client, it should say Started and be set to Automatic.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Have you tried to connect to some other devices on your network other than the Internet? If you can copy files from a network share or access the router configuration page, the network adapter is probably fine, but router config is not.

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

Thanks for the replies. I had tried different ports but that didn't work either. When I came home from work today, the ethernet was suddenly working. I literally changed nothing from yesterday when it wasn't working. No idea what happened, but hopefully it sticks. Thanks again for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Next time when stuff like happens you should do this:
Right Click on the adapter -> Deactivate
Right Click on the adapter -> Activate

Windows is the loving worst when it comes to poo poo like this.

• Locked thread