Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many hours do you work an average week?
<34.99 (and still full time)
35-39.99
40-44.99
45-49.99
50-54.99
55-59.99
60-64.99
65+
View Results

• Locked thread
N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009
I read that the US has the longest average work week, at 47 hours. My question is how many hours do you work, as well as what industry/position? Is the 40 hour work week a pipe dream in the US?

Edit: Quick overview at 304 votes so far

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hW3lH95EL5e2jNTRaP5kjXXggJBOuLOe4iLvcPsSVQI/edit?usp=sharing

editable spreadsheet if you'd like to add your information as well

Main Points so far:

Software devs generally stay very close to 40.
Oil & gas, logistics, medicine, finance, non-software engineering, and management work a ton of hours.

As of 11/9/2014 Avg hours for Americans by spreadsheet was ~48.

N.N. Ashe fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

40 hours, software industry, technical consultant role.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
20-40 hours a week at my day job managing a test prep center. I negotiated like hell thanks to BFC and we ended up with performance-based metrics and 10-20 average billable hours a week tutoring, plus unlimited paid vacation as long as I got the work done. Working for a small company rules :) Fight for your vacation time!

edit: but then I spend all that extra time working on my side business, lol. god bless murica!

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

40/wk, developing and Linux'ing.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Software Developer. ~41.25 hours on a normal week, but up into the 60s if we're travelling (which I've only done twice in 1.5 years with the company).

Jhoge
Sep 10, 2008
Economic consulting. Average about 50, can go 80+.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
40-45 in pharmaceutical development. This is a huge area of contention with my bosses, who think I should be doing 80+ regularly, but they haven't fired me yet so whatever.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I'm at work for about 42hrs a week. IT for a booming company in a podunk town.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
IT in a large managed service provider. We're expected to book 45 hrs/week. Most of the time its around 45-50 hours, but there is usually a few weeks a year of 80+ hours.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

edit: wrong thread but might as well answer.

40, hourly pay, no overtime, as strictly said by our managers. Software/hardware testing.

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 16, 2014

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

40, unless I'm approved for overtime. I don't stay one moment longer than I'm contractually obligated to. If something runs late one day, I spend less time in the office the next. Ain't nobody gonna fleece me!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
45-55 typically. If you count travel time, that can go as high as 80.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I'm supposed to work, and get paid to work 40 hours a week, but I'm probably only here 35 or so hours a week.

If you want to count time actually work, I probably only work 10 hours a week.

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
Usually between 38 and 45 hours per week. I can always volunteer for up to 4 hours of overtime per day and get played time-and- a-half after 8 hours each day, so it doesn't matter much if I get dobe early a day or two.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jhoge posted:

Economic consulting. Average about 50, can go 80+.

Corporate tax accountant, same for me.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Software engineer in the aerospace industry, 40 hours, 15 hours commuting :negative:

I probably do about 30 hours of actual work and 10 hours of independent study. If I send my boss and email after my core hours, he'll tell me to go home.

My gf is a Hollywood financial analyst and works about 50 hours/week with up to 80 at quarter's end.

Pants, Grandpa!
Feb 2, 2005
Call Me The Mech Man.
Always at least 87.5 hours a week as a Mariner, sometimes more. Then again, I do usually get three weeks off for every three weeks I work.

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
Defense industry engineer. 40 hours of work generally. I take professional development classes 4 hours a week so you could include that I guess.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

40 hours a week, maybe a little less some weeks. Work/Life balance is a big thing for me. How much actual 'work' is accomplished during those 40 hours? Maybe 12 to 15 hours worth.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 16, 2014

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

50-55 hours a week, time and a half overtime for anything over 40. Coordinate metrologist in precision machining.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

37.5 :britain: (I'm a programmer)

My commute is a 15 minute walk.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
It's extremely rare that I work more than 50 hours per week. Anything over 40 I generally do from home, which isn't quite as work-like as being in the office.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
Can vary a lot, but will end up averaging to 42 hours a week including 5 hours of breaks.

I work in the UK government. I work shifts and I would basically never have to work more hours than this (on average).

nozz fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 17, 2014

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Teacher, contracted for 35, routinely work maybe 2 - 5 extra hours a week which is sometimes paid hourly extra, sometimes not. Depends on what I'm doing.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

N.N. Ashe posted:

I read that the US has the longest average work week, at 47 hours. My question is how many hours do you work, as well as what industry/position? Is the 40 hour work week a pipe dream in the US?

50+ here as well. Corporate compliance.

I can also assure you that the US does not have the longest average work week. Vietnam, Korea, China, and Cambodia are much higher. The average US numbers are closer to mid 30s with PRC being mid 40s. It's not unusual for factory workers in Asia to work 60+ hours a week.

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.
Software engineer, industry, 35-45 hours / week (usually under 40)

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Work in public policy.

40 hour standard workweek.

Have been regularly putting in 45-50 hours per week.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Engineer. 38 hours a week, with a flextime system. If I do site work I'll generally do 10-12 hour days which racks up a bunch of flex for later use if I so desire.

Flex is really informal and managed by section managers with most erring towards the 'you manage it so long as you deliver'.

I can get overtime but the company really prefers flextime instead.

:australia:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Software engineer. I work precisely "40 hours a week" via flex time, so my only requirement is (# of days in pay period * 8) across however many days are in the pay period. Some people work 4x10, some do 4x9 and every other Friday off. I do whatever, whenever, as long as I hit my hours.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Civil Engineer designing power lines for a major utility. Typical week is 9 hour days Mon-Thursday plus I answer email on the bus ride to work (30 min). Friday is kind of a crap shoot, anything from 4-8 hours. I usually spend an hour on email at night. On the weekends I work about 4 hours but possibly much more. When I travel (about once a month) I work 10-11 hour days because I have nothing else to do really.

All in all I probably work about 50 a week. Salary though so paid for 40 but paid well. Also I usually work from home or the mountains on Friday's. My boss is super flexible.

In reality though I could work 40 and no one would care but I have things to get done and I really like and care about my job.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Finance, 65~ usually, can and often does go over

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Like 6-10, and I work from home so there is no commute.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Postdoc research fellow. I would say I usually work around 30-35 hours a week--I have a super flexible schedule, but it also means if I poo poo around one day I'll usually get some work done on the weekends. I'm in the UK for my postdoc (US citizen) which has been an absurdly awesome experience--30 days of vacation a year (before holidays) what??

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I'm in residential social work as a caregiver, 40 hours/week. I have an hourly wage, so we don't go over 45/week much and staying late is discouraged in this position.

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009

Lawlicaust posted:

50+ here as well. Corporate compliance.

I can also assure you that the US does not have the longest average work week. Vietnam, Korea, China, and Cambodia are much higher. The average US numbers are closer to mid 30s with PRC being mid 40s. It's not unusual for factory workers in Asia to work 60+ hours a week.

I'm seeing Vietnam, Korea, etc are higher. Gallup is saying average is 47 though. http://www.gallup.com/poll/175286/hour-workweek-actually-longer-seven-hours.aspx. Not sure what your saying with the PRC bit?

Thanks to everyone who has answered so far!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It depends on whether you're looking at all workers, or only full-time workers. That link uses the latter.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
40 :canada: with a 1 hour paid lunch (so actually 35 hours), and we regularly get told to go home early on Fridays. Boutique immigration law firm. I love my job and office.

My former employer was a larger immigration firm, headquartered in the US, and they brought in an overseas partner to try and 'murricanize our Canadian office, which went over swell, with over 100% staff turnover in the the last 18 months. Things they messed with: hours, lunches, office supplies, mat leave (what, hello), walls (they knocked them down for 'open concept'), and general decency.

I feel like Canada works too much compared to Europe (vacation, mat/parental leave, hours etc), but then I look at what's standard in the US and feel a bit better.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I would slay a man in cold blood to work 35 hours a week and make the money I'm making now lol

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Spadoink posted:

I feel like Canada works too much compared to Europe (vacation, mat/parental leave, hours etc), but then I look at what's standard in the US and feel a bit better.
I don't think the differences between the two are really that extreme:

quote:

Canada has seen its average working hours shrink slowly but steadily for the past decade, according to data from the OECD, with the average number of hours falling from 1,775 in 2000 to 1,702 in 2010. The U.S. saw a similar decline, from 1,836 hours to 1,778.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/05/25/working-hours-around-world-canada_n_1546440.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
40, librarian at a state university in the US so university management is very scrupulous about enforcing the 40 hour week for non-faculty staff.

• Locked thread