Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many hours do you work an average week?
<34.99 (and still full time)
35-39.99
40-44.99
45-49.99
50-54.99
55-59.99
60-64.99
65+
View Results

• Locked thread
ebg
Mar 31, 2008

60+, manager of a terrible restaurant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

20-30/week, self employed. HVAC duct design, repair & cleaning.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'
Meteorologist. We work a 5 on 3 off rotation and 9 hour days so its right about 45hr/week. Occasionally we work a 6 on 4 off which bumps that up to 54hr/week. Rarely you are asked to stay late to help catch up but that's usually if some technical issue occurred and we fell way behind.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Physician - on average 50 hours/week.
Exception to this is once every 6-8 weeks will do 7 straight days of hospital call for our residency service. These end up being anywhere from 40-100 hour weeks depending on patient load and quality of my residents on service for me.

that devil machine
Feb 14, 2004
I ain't no trendy motherfucker.
Manufacturing in the oil industry, 47.5 right now. For 3 of the last 4 years, I worked 70 on average.

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009
I made a quick spreadsheet with all the responses that listed either the industry or job.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hW3lH95EL5e2jNTRaP5kjXXggJBOuLOe4iLvcPsSVQI/edit?usp=sharing

It's also editable if you'd like to add your information as well (everyone above this post has been added at this point)

Take away so far:

Software devs generally stay very close to 40.
Oil & gas, logistics, medicine, finance, non-software engineering, and management work a ton of hours.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
65+ small business owner

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have currently worked about 30 hours so far this week since Monday at 5:30 AM.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Government contractor for a big consulting firm - currently not staffed on a project, but on my last project, I usually worked around 45 hours a week. No lunch break (usually just heated up lunch and ate it at my desk) though. Sometimes I had to travel or work weekends so it would be closer to like 55 or so, but it was never particularly terrible.

Having said that, my previous project was regularly 60 hour weeks, with my record including a 13 hour day on a Saturday.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

N.N. Ashe posted:

I made a quick spreadsheet with all the responses that listed either the industry or job.

Neato, I like data, so thanks for doing this!

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Oil & Gas Extraction
60-70 hrs a week, if you remove the extremes (100+ hour weeks due to emergencies) its more like 55-60

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I work in finance (boutique IB/valuation services) and I would say most weeks are about 50? It can definitely ramp up at times, but I guess being a boutique shop saves me from the crazy hours most people in this industry work.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Right around the 40 hour mark. Post Doc at one of the National labs, will probably do unpaid work when I write journal articles for publishing. It's amazing for academia.

Vordhosbn
Aug 7, 2008

I work in the Marketing Department for a small local grocery store chain. 40 hours (which includes a 30-minute paid lunch period), paid hourly.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Operations Co-Ordinator for a shortline railway.. in Canada. Usually 50 hours a week plus I rotate being oncall with another person, 3 days oncall, 4 days off and so on.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Now near 40 hours a week. 4 hours on normal work days plus a 24-36 hour job 3-4 times a month. Call it 45 hours a week. Oilfield is where it's at.

E: was 120 for a while though

Celot fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 21, 2014

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe
60+ was doing drat near 80 for almost 2 years. This is managing two startups, one makes great money, the other does not yet.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

28.5 A week managing a grocery store because of something that has to do with ObamaCare making it so people working over 30 hours have to be offered insurance or something. Or so the bosses say.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Working IT on Wall Street. I work 40-45 hours a week. Sometimes weekends.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Corporate lawyer, 30-40 hours a week when things are slow, 60-100 when things are busy.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Taco Box posted:

50-55 hours a week, time and a half overtime for anything over 40. Coordinate metrologist in precision machining.

Another metrologist!

I work as a calibrations technician with the Air Force. 45 hour weeks, more if we're behind. On a deployment it was 70+.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

50 hrs/week, telecommunications field manager. I was in the army before, which always a minimum of 60 hrs/week up to 120 hrs/week, not including field training exercises or deployments. Really glad I got out.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

DJ Sizzle posted:

60+ was doing drat near 80 for almost 2 years. This is managing two startups, one makes great money, the other does not yet.

I feel like I could maybe do this if I was heading a startup, but ugh. Over the summer I went from 45 a week to closer to 70 or 80 as a product manager at an early stage start-up. It just felt unsustainable -- how do you guys handle it?

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

36 hours a week. I'm a nurse who works three 12-hour shifts a week. Anything over that is time and a half, and is usually voluntary (maybe one mandatory extra shift every three months or so). Otherwise I just enjoy my four day weekends.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would do a lot of horrible things to work three twelves a week.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would do a lot of horrible things to work three twelves a week.

Go to nursing school... That way you only have to do one horrible thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Go to nursing school... That way you only have to do one horrible thing.

Unfortunately I like my current job, think I'd make a lousy nurse, would take a significant pay cut, and do not want to go to school.

Just bitchin is all.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Spadoink posted:

40 :canada: with a 1 hour paid lunch (so actually 35 hours), and we regularly get told to go home early on Fridays. Boutique immigration law firm. I love my job and office.

My former employer was a larger immigration firm, headquartered in the US, and they brought in an overseas partner to try and 'murricanize our Canadian office, which went over swell, with over 100% staff turnover in the the last 18 months. Things they messed with: hours, lunches, office supplies, mat leave (what, hello), walls (they knocked them down for 'open concept'), and general decency.

I feel like Canada works too much compared to Europe (vacation, mat/parental leave, hours etc), but then I look at what's standard in the US and feel a bit better.

I'm currently working in Canada and you guys have no idea how good you have it compared to the US. Every person I know who works at a law firm in America can't leave work before 7. Sometimes they stay until 9 or 10 PM.

I'm currently working in an animation studio in Canada and working 40-50 hours a week. However the industry only exists here because of subsidies. There's some recent immigrants from China who got work at the studio and had prior studio experience in Beijing where they were working 100 hour weeks. They love the Canadian job, though because of all that practice under hellish conditions they can finish their work in half the time it takes the Canadian animators.

No maternity/paternity leave or overtime pay in animation though unfortunately.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Part-time librarian in a county library system. 20/40, meaning I'm scheduled for 20 hours a week but can take on extra hours to a max of 40. I end up with around 32-36 hours a week on average.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Web developer working 24 hours a week with benefits.

Basically the gist was I wanted a 35% raise. I wasn't sure they could afford that on a full time basis and the higher end skills they use me for were only being used a percentage of my work time. So instead of paying me 35% more on a full 40 hours, whether I was doing server maintenance/app development or basic WordPress/CSS work, I convinced them we should hire a lower wage worker to handle a new Jr. position's tasks and pay me more for less hours of the new Sr. position work. So now I work 24 flex hours, usual a morning meeting and a 2pm-4pm remote shift. I come in for meeting maybe 2 times a month. If I work over 24 I can roll it into the next week or invoice it. I was able to negotiate maintaining my benefits too. Before anyone oos and ahhs, I'd say I only pull in about $35k pre-tax in this deal but is has benefits and it's stable. It works for me and my wife and I love working next to her every day and being able to run errands during business hours. Money or not I don't know if I could go back to an office 40hrs a week.

The rub is I thought I'd use my new free time to work on amazing skill building projects and open source work. A year in and I have a 80% done game and an 80% done freelance business. New Years resolution is to kick that poo poo into gear and actually make the $70k I wanted in the first place.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Was working a boutique accounting position 50+ hrs/wk, now in dev/software QA and closer to 40.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Advertising Account Exec - less then 40 per week, ~$92k per year.

My brother makes ~$110k per year in same role, different company, works ~15 hours a week.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Snatch Duster posted:

Advertising Account Exec - less then 40 per week, ~$92k per year.

My brother makes ~$110k per year in same role, different company, works ~15 hours a week.

Comma splices everywhere, mixing up "then" and "than"... Sometimes I just wonder what the gently caress :v:

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Comma splices everywhere, mixing up "then" and "than"... Sometimes I just wonder what the gently caress :v:

Don't english good, that's why I have proof readers for proposals and copy.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Engineer, 40 hours/week. Sometimes a little extra here and there.

My company is actually good about properly staffing so no one is ever overworked unless they're a workaholic who does it to themselves intentionally.

Faux Pas
May 30, 2003

Anything for a smile.
Local government healthcare 40 hours a week.

k stone
Aug 30, 2009
Management consultant. 50 hours is the minimum, average is probably about 60, and during certain types of projects or near deadlines it's more like 75-80. I don't mind the hours themselves, necessarily, but business is not something I'm terribly passionate about, so I'd probably go a little crazy if I didn't expect to leave in a couple years and use the money / name brand to do something I'm more genuinely interested in.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

N.N. Ashe posted:

Software devs generally stay very close to 40.

Software dev here and I'm thinking this result has more to do with the demographics of this site (skews younger and in less senior positions) than the reality of the average software developer. I've found the higher up you go the more likely it is you will be working odd hours, one reason because middle management-types love having status meetings after 5PM since it's the only clear-calendar hour they can get, but also because you spend extra time fixing the mistakes some contractor or junior developer committed.

That said, I rarely go over 50 myself and mostly fall between 40-45. It's not that bad either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Normally 60-70, sometimes 80-100, even higher if weekends are included. HW engineer at a startup. It's terrible, but I just got a giant raise, so more bearable.

Previously, in the auto industry, 45 a week, easy as hell.

• Locked thread