Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

CharlestonJew posted:

I read a book when I was a kid, I forgot the name of it, it had the word "Bible" in the title. It was about a crazy pastor taking his family to africa to teach the savages about our lord and savior Jesus Christ. One of his daughters was crippled or something and the village they were staying in had a tidal wave of angry-rear end ants come by and just start biting the poo poo out of people, so the crippled girl got left behind by her mom and got like a billion ant bites. so now im a little wary of ants and africa

Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Pretty lame book but yeah that part was metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

420 Gank Mid posted:

Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Pretty lame book but yeah that part was metal.

ah thank you i was tryin so hard to remember the title

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

I read a book when I was a kid, I forgot the name of it, it had the word "Bible" in the title. It was about a crazy pastor taking his family to africa to teach the savages about our lord and savior Jesus Christ. One of his daughters was crippled or something and the village they were staying in had a tidal wave of angry-rear end ants come by and just start biting the poo poo out of people, so the crippled girl got left behind by her mom and got like a billion ant bites. so now im a little wary of ants and africa
that's hosed up man that's a really problematic depiction of ants

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's an ant crawling up your back in the nighttime
There's an ant crawling up your back in the nighttime
But you think that's okay while you're sleeping

That ant crawled in your head in the nighttime
That ant crawled in your head in the nighttime

Someday, that ant, he will grow up to be President
Someday, that ant, he will grow up to be President

The President calls your name in the nighttime
The President calls your name in the nighttime

The men ransack your house in the nighttime
The men ransack your house in the nighttime
As the ant crawls up your back while you're sleeping

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2t4jfVTiU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

273423-X posted:

Isn't there already an ant thread in PI? Oh well, I'll post here as it will probably get more traffic

I've been thinking about getting an ant farm for a while now and I've decided on getting a gamergate species, as it's an unusual behaviour I want to observe for myself. At the moment I'm thinking Rhytidoponera metallica, as they look absolutely stunning.

Does anyone have any experience keeping Rhytidoponeras species? Any other species recs?

Look at that blue-exoskeletoned idiot, lol.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

So gamergate ants happen when the queen is dead, fascinating stuff.

I wonder though, does it also happen when the queen receives death threats and is driven out of the anthill? The Wikipedia doesn't cover this contingency.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Such things do not happen as all the workers obey the will of the queen without exception. Threatening her would be unthinkable and certainly lead to death at the mandibles of their peers. Some people suspect this would make for an ideal society.

Fortunately such a thing will never actually happen in human society, although in some circles they seem to come disturbingly close.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Tell me more about how humans organize themselves in the gamergate thread.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Are there any insects that go to war with fire ant colonies and win?

I don't know about winning, but I know there's another ant species that lives successfully in fire ant regions. They are super aggressive about killing fire ant scouts so the colony stays hidden. If that doesn't work, the soldiers pull a Thermopylae while the workers evacuate the queen and brood.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
can someone explain gamergates to me

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

memy posted:

can someone explain gamergates to me

it's a website where you can buy videogames. ive never bought anything there cuz Steam or gmg is cheaper but it's still around so they're doing something right.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

So is gamergate a thing with all ant species? Or do only a few species of ant do this?

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

CharlestonJew posted:

it's a website where you can buy videogames. ive never bought anything there cuz Steam or gmg is cheaper but it's still around so they're doing something right.

thanks

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
stjamesgate is one of the best investments in monopoly. it belongs to the lucrative orange property set which can get landed on whenever someone rolls doubles with 6 or 8 to get out of jail, and when getting out of jail otherwise, 6 8 and 9 are common rolls on two six sided dice.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
video games should be fun imo

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Aunts are pretty cool, I once met a colony of aunts and they bought me ice cream and smoked cigarettes and one even slipped a little bourbon into my Pepsi drink.

I was 8 years old. The year was 1957. And I knew what a real woman was like.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
they just don't make board games like they used to. when did parker brothers get replaced by the marx brothers?

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So is gamergate a thing with all ant species? Or do only a few species of ant do this?

It's only in a few species and in many species it might also differ from colony to colony. Some species only exhibit gamergate behaviour in the absence of a queen. Gamergate colonies can also be monogynous or polygynous, just like queen colonies.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The only thing I regret in life is that I didn't play video games ten hours a day.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

The only thing I regret in life is that I am not an awesome ant.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

can i sell my used games for basically nothing at gamergate? can i buy used games? someone should do a gamergate faq

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

blainestereo posted:

The only thing I regret in life is that I am not an awesome ant.

:3: this one looks like she's got a plate on her head (her head is actually that shape to block tunnels)

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

The only thing I regret in life is that I didn't play video games ten hours a day.

think of all the free time you could have!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

273423-X posted:

:3: this one looks like she's got a plate on her head (her head is actually that shape to block tunnels)

In a video game I would use that as a platform to cross lava or some poo poo

gently caress there's two of them so now I gotta make a tricky jump over the lava

after wards I get space jump boots

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Honey pot brought all the gamergates to the yard

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

My favorite ant is the bullet ant, or Paraponera Clavata:

From the Wikipedia article:

quote:

The pain caused by this insect's sting is purported to be greater than that of any other hymenopteran, and is ranked as the most painful according to the Schmidt sting pain index, given a "4+" rating, above the tarantula hawk wasp and, according to some victims, equal to being shot, hence the name of the insect.

This tread is fun AND informative, just like the old gamergate thread!

(Don't know if bullet ants actually have gamergates though so this might be slightly off topic)

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012

273423-X posted:

What type of ant is that? I had no idea that there were ants like that. I'm learning so much about ants today.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

That photo doesn't showcase bullet ant's beautiful mandibles nearly enough, here is a better one, slightly spoiled by an ugly watermark:

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Reading ever more about gamergates, I have to say they're even more creepy and savagely brutal ant societies than the usual lot.

First female to sexual maturity bites off bits of the others that would otherwise be attractive to males. The human equivalent of an aspiring gamergate would need first to rip the tits off of the other women around them in short. After their first mating they then secret pheromones that basically tell everyone else to accept their place on the bottom rung.

Still, there are costs. Gamergates live nowhere near as long as Queens.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 16, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

kick_the_penguin posted:

What type of ant is that? I had no idea that there were ants like that. I'm learning so much about ants today.

Cephalotes varians

http://www.antweb.org/description.do?genus=cephalotes&species=varians&rank=species&project=allantwebants

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Gamergatefacts is worth making a twitter account just to follow. I have never before learned so many ant facts in one place but this thread might outperform that!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

blainestereo posted:

That photo doesn't showcase bullet ant's beautiful mandibles nearly enough, here is a better one, slightly spoiled by an ugly watermark:

We have very different definitions of beauty. Bullet ants are monsters.

There's a tribe in the region where they live who will make a glove with live bullet ants stitched inside and, as a rite of manhood, warriors put the glove on their hand and try to endure the pain for as long as possible.

These people's descendants are now called "gamers".

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

We have very different definitions of beauty. Bullet ants are monsters.

There's a tribe in the region where they live who will make a glove with live bullet ants stitched inside and, as a rite of manhood, warriors put the glove on their hand and try to endure the pain for as long as possible.

These people's descendants are now called "gamers".

Ah yes, the rite of carpal tunnel. Barbaric stuff.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

what i dont understand is how feminist spores have infiltrated gamergates and make them their literal puppets. feminist spores can wipe out whole populations and its pretty terrifying that there is a feminist spore specifically designed for each type of gamergate

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Aunts are pretty cool, I once met a colony of aunts and they bought me ice cream and smoked cigarettes and one even slipped a little bourbon into my Pepsi drink.

I was 8 years old. The year was 1957. And I knew what a real woman was like.

:eyepop:
Now that Tokaii's been outed as a pedo (apologist), does that make you the oldest goon?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

memy posted:

:eyepop:
Now that Tokaii's been outed as a pedo (apologist), does that make you the oldest goon?

nah now it's genesplicer

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Don't drown an ant colony, they'll try to make a raft to protect the queen and larvae until they reach land.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ZysgGAABw

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
relevant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

Don't drown an ant colony, they'll try to make a raft to protect the queen and larvae until they reach land.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ZysgGAABw

this is the best gamergate thread gbs has ever had, im learning so many interesting facts about interesting bugs

• Locked thread