Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Problematic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

quote:

Ant feminism is an ideology that is broadly defined as an opposition to feminism or some aspect of feminism. The meaning of ant feminism has varied across time and cultures and it has attracted both men and women. Ant feminism may include beliefs such as general hostility towards women's rights,[1] the belief that feminist theories of patriarchy and disadvantages suffered by women in society are incorrect or exaggerated,[2][3] or that feminism as a movement encourages misandry and seeks to harm or oppress men.

I must say ants don't get feminism at all, cool as they are.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I just learned about super-colonies

wikipedia posted:

Supercolonies

Until 2000, the largest known ant supercolony was on the Ishikari coast of Hokkaidō, Japan. The colony was estimated to contain 306 million worker ants and one million queen ants living in 45,000 nests interconnected by underground passages over an area of 2.7 km2 (670 acres).[2] In 2000, an enormous supercolony of Argentine ants was found in Southern Europe (report published in 2002). Of 33 ant populations nested along the 6,004-kilometre (3,731 mi) stretch along the Mediterranean and Atlantic coasts in Southern Europe, 30 belonged to one supercolony with estimated millions of nests and billions of workers, interspersed with three populations of another supercolony.[3] The researchers[which?] claim that this case of unicoloniality cannot be explained by loss of their genetic diversity due to the genetic bottleneck of the imported ants.[citation needed] In 2009, it was demonstrated that the largest Japanese, Californian and European Argentine ant supercolonies were in fact part of a single global "megacolony".[4]

Another supercolony, measuring approximately 100 km (62 mi) wide, was found beneath Melbourne, Australia in 2004.[5]

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
All this gamergate ants talk makes me want to buy an ant farm like the one I had as a kid.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

blainestereo posted:

That photo doesn't showcase bullet ant's beautiful mandibles nearly enough, here is a better one, slightly spoiled by an ugly watermark:

You pirate. You're going to get Lo wtax sued.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

platedlizard posted:

I just learned about super-colonies

Argentine ants will have hundreds of queens in one nest. Instead of airborne mating and founding new colonies like most types, they just swarm off en masse. So they're hopelessly inbred but so numerous it doesn't even matter.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

273423-X posted:

Isn't there already an ant thread in PI? Oh well, I'll post here as it will probably get more traffic

I've been thinking about getting an ant farm for a while now and I've decided on getting a gamergate species, as it's an unusual behaviour I want to observe for myself. At the moment I'm thinking Rhytidoponera metallica, as they look absolutely stunning.

Does anyone have any experience keeping Rhytidoponeras species? Any other species recs?

Where do you order certain species of ants? All the ant farms I know of just have the same species , I wasn't aware you could order different ones.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

female ants that can reproduce with male ants (but not their goony worker ant brothers) when the colony lacks a queen

i started keeping bees and it really surprised me that sometimes you just gotta murder the queen because she was poo poo. when that happens they just make their own new queen.

it felt awkward, just squishing the queen. i felt horrible.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

LaTex Fetish posted:

i started keeping bees and it really surprised me that sometimes you just gotta murder the queen because she was poo poo. when that happens they just make their own new queen.

When you play the game of drones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

LaTex Fetish posted:

What constitutes a poo poo queen anyway?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can an ant ante a nut?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kylra posted:

you are tubgirl

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Is the honeypot over? :ohdear:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Luvcow posted:

Is the honeypot over? :ohdear:

they aren't considered endangered yet, but if we keep seeing these dramatic die-offs then sooner or later we're just gonna have to settle for Maple and fake-Maple. some think it has to do with pesticide, chemical jerks are blaming parasites

take this to the bee thread tho

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Kylra posted:

not producing enough or making all the bees assholes

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought this thread was about #GamerGate because of the name. I guess it is actually about ants? Boy is my face red you fellas sure pulled a fast one on me.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

DrPlump posted:

I thought this thread was about #GamerGate because of the name. I guess it is actually about ants? Boy is my face red you fellas sure pulled a fast one on me.

is there a different kind of #GamerGate I'm not aware of? Could you please explain it to me in great detail?

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestonJew posted:

is there a different kind of #GamerGate I'm not aware of? Could you please explain it to me in great detail?

Nope just the any thing haha lol

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

DrPlump posted:

Nope just the any thing haha lol

keep probating this guy

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

nice

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Ants are stupid

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bholder posted:

Ants are stupid

Ants are awesome you rear end in a top hat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

here

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 16, 2014

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Mappo posted:

All this gamergate ants talk makes me want to buy an ant farm like the one I had as a kid.

Why not play an ant farm video game

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Has anyone heard of people using ants to help cultivate crops? Or cultivating ants for food? Or using them in agriculture at all?'

I've heard of people planting fruit trees on above ground termite mounds and bringing dried wood to them for subsistence so they don't eat the vegetation growing on the mound. Nothing about ants though.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Here we go, this was the article I was looking for:
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Making-a-difference/Change-Agent/2012/0105/In-Africa-using-ants-and-termites-to-increase-crop-yields

looks like it answered my question!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Lotta good ant links in this thread. Thank you all. I am learning a lot about my ants.
My Labidus's recently wrote the words "HATE" in their farm using tunnels, should this be reason for concern?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Lotta good ant links in this thread. Thank you all. I am learning a lot about my ants.
My Labidus's recently wrote the words "HATE" in their farm using tunnels, should this be reason for concern?

You might need to buy an anteater before they get too uppity

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Catalina posted:

Why not play an ant farm video game

I want an Ant Farm Keyboard™.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I didn't even know gamergates were a thing. I've learned something today, OP, and I'm glad it had nothing to do with internet bitchfits.:thumbsup:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Archonex posted:

It actually started all the way back with Depression Quest. I remember the creator got a ton of threats. Which the OP covered. However since the focus shifted off of Depression Quest to Gamergate I haven't met too many people (Though admittedly the ones who did thought the Gamergate thing is ridiculous. Though there's always that one creepy guy. :stonk:) who even know this poo poo is still going.

Hell, I pride myself on being extremely up to date with industry news and I didn't even know this was actually this big of a thing.

The thread really should exist just for that alone. I didn't even know that these people were still doing this crap until I read it. I imagine there's a fair number of people who are looking at "Gamergate" and figure it's the usual publisher dickery or some other similar thing.

Hell,

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

platedlizard posted:

Where do you order certain species of ants? All the ant farms I know of just have the same species , I wasn't aware you could order different ones.

There's a couple stores based in Germany. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to import ants to the US though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always really wanted an ant farm when I was a kid but none of the stupid companies would ship ants with queens. When is the best time to catch fertilized queens? If I just plop one of those winged ants in an art farm will she get all simant on my rear end and start building poo poo and making more ants? The male ants also have wings, but I always assumed the ones I'd find out on their own rather than swarming around a nest were the new queens rather than the disposable males.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I always wanted to eat the family and its dog in simant just turn them all into mountains of green pellets.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Nsfw mods????

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think I've won gamergate. Whatever it is.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Awwww yeahhhhh

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I think I've won gamergate. Whatever it is.

grats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
its the gate i put up in my yard to keep gamers out (really its just a long straight path with a slight incline)

• Locked thread