Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

273423-X posted:

Isn't there already an ant thread in PI? Oh well, I'll post here as it will probably get more traffic

I've been thinking about getting an ant farm for a while now and I've decided on getting a gamergate species, as it's an unusual behaviour I want to observe for myself. At the moment I'm thinking Rhytidoponera metallica, as they look absolutely stunning.

Does anyone have any experience keeping Rhytidoponeras species? Any other species recs?

Thats a beautiful ant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

LaTex Fetish posted:

i started keeping bees and it really surprised me that sometimes you just gotta murder the queen because she was poo poo. when that happens they just make their own new queen.

it felt awkward, just squishing the queen. i felt horrible.

How do you get the bees not to murder your poo poo when you commit regicide on them? Also why just squish her why not get like a tiny guillotine or something hardcore

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

is gamergate just pronounced the same as a compound of gamer plus gate? bc it seems a strange thing to call an ant

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Corridor posted:

is gamergate just pronounced the same as a compound of gamer plus gate? bc it seems a strange thing to call an ant

I think it's gam-erg-ate since it's Greek-derived.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I think it's gam-erg-ate since it's Greek-derived.

is the e on the end its own syllable like in persephone

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
gamirgatti

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

273423-X posted:

There's a couple stores based in Germany. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to import ants to the US though.

Workers are legal, but queens can't even be transported over state lines. Which is good considering how many invasive ant species problems we have already.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Corridor posted:

is the e on the end its own syllable like in persephone

I honestly don't know.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

do you prononuce gamergate with a soft g?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The terrible jamerjate wars continue on. Can't stop the zeitjeist.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
What lies beyond the Gamer Gate?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
PBS did a segment on the topic: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/gamergate-leads-death-threats-women-gaming-industry/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

why did you clickbait me, that has nothing to do with gamergates

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Uh this has NOTHING to do with ants.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

This is my favorite game

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDA-ANTR/ant-raid

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

That looks really fun!

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
Footage of a gamergate raid.

Elissia posted:

How do you get the bees not to murder your poo poo when you commit regicide on them? Also why just squish her why not get like a tiny guillotine or something hardcore

That would be adorable. All things made bee size are adorable.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

This is really loving interesting. Is there more information on this somewhere?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

273423-X posted:

Isn't there already an ant thread in PI? Oh well, I'll post here as it will probably get more traffic

I've been thinking about getting an ant farm for a while now and I've decided on getting a gamergate species, as it's an unusual behaviour I want to observe for myself. At the moment I'm thinking Rhytidoponera metallica, as they look absolutely stunning.

Does anyone have any experience keeping Rhytidoponeras species? Any other species recs?

Rhytidoponera metallica seems pretty difficult to keep, stings like a bitch, massive colonies and very aggressive. I managed to get a few drones out of a queen before it all went to poo poo.

I did not have much success with Myrmecia either. Easily my holy grail of stinging things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmecia_(ant)

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Ants are badass

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
We live on this world not because we have conquered it and its denizens, but because we are tolerated--perhaps even cultivated--by the ants. It is they who rule us and we are too blind, too ignorant to even realize.

It's a bug planet.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

ultrabindu posted:

This is really loving interesting. Is there more information on this somewhere?

Yes!

http://www.worldwatch.org/system/files/In%20Africa.pdf
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v2/n3/full/ncomms1257.html

it's pretty amazing. they basically use ants and termites to create pores in the soil to hold water, aerate it, and they also restore nitrogen to it.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

I'm going to be killed for my love of ants :ohdear:

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fansy posted:

I got a similar email.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I feel like I've lost an undetermined amount of I.Q after reading this thread. Especially after reading up about it.

So this poo poo really is/was a thing? *shrugs*

At least I got to see cool Ant pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I honestly don't know.

this thread is not as informative as i had hoped

• Locked thread